• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic YAKUZA / LIKE A DRAGON COMMUNITY |ST| A FAMIBOARDS CLAN SUBSIDIARY

Party Sklar

of the Famiboards family, a Tojo clan subsidiary
Pronouns
he/him
Welcome to the Yakuza StarTopic™ ! Given that the franchise is pretty active, with nineteen games released in the span of sixteen years, I thought it’d be nice to have a community dedicated to it here. We’re here to share news, memes, speculate… But I’d also love if newcomers could come and discover the series, so please use the spoiler tag accordingly when discussing major events or twists. And always, of course, be respectful of other people’s opinions.

While we’re currently waiting for the next installment in the series (or, as they call it in Spanish, Kamur-ocho), welcome here, kyodais !​

the-yakuza-series.jpg

The Yakuza series (known in Japan as « Ryū ga Gotoku », which translates to « Like a Dragon ») is a collection of open world action-adventure games that mostly feature beat ‘em up style combats. While many compared the series to Grand Theft Auto when it first released, the environments in Yakuza are much smaller but much more detailed : there’s a lot of buildings in which you can actually enter and shop, eat, are play various activities. Each one of the playable environments in Yakuza is based of a real district of Japan, and therefore features various real-life brands to make it more realistic (by the way, if you’re visiting Japan, please remember to eat at a Ikinari Steak location). These are the various real life environments that were used in the Yakuza games :​

quartiers.png

The main stories of the Yakuza games are an hommage to yakuza movies, so expect long cutscenes with a lot of drama, betrayals and implausible twists, all perfectly voice acted by the « crème de la crème » japanese (voice) actors. To balance that and make the games more lifelike, the developers Ryū ga Gotoku Studio fill the games with a lot of side-stories, humorous or sad, in which your main character, a criminal, helps the various inhabitants of the city. Each entry also features short mini-games (card games, karaoke, bowling, arcade games, mahjong…) as well as more fleshed-out ones, which can take several hours to complete.

mini-games.png

While the stories of the various games are obviously different, the Yakuza series is cohesive, and always features themes such as corruption in politics, the difficulties encountered by the left-out of the Japanese society (orphans, immigrants…), as well as putting an emphasis on the importance of friendship, loyalty and getting back up after being knocked-out. That’s why it is considered by a lot of fans as an uplifting, wholesome, and even helpful series.​

the-main-series-characters.jpg

• Kazuma Kiryu : Main protagonist of the series until the sixth episode, Kiryu is a member of the Tojo Clan (the largest yakuza organisation within the series) and is portrayed as a nice, loyal, smart and powerful man who sees the good in everyone. He wants nothing more than leaving a peaceful life but, due to his qualities and strength, is always pulled back in the shenanigans of the organisation.​
  • Haruka Sawamura : Introduced since the first episode of the series, in which she was a child in quest of her missing mother, Haruka will become linked to Kiryu and one of the most important character in the series, eventually becoming playable in Yakuza 5.​
  • Goro Majima : Appearing in every game in the series, and playable in Yakuza: Dead Souls, Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami 2, Goro Majima was first introduced as a clown character to balance the seriousness of Kiryu. At first the major rival to the protagonist, he became over time one of his most faithful allies and defenders.​
  • Shun Akiyama : Once a homeless person, Akiyama eventually became rich and some sort of an out of the box entrepeneur. Always trying to help those in need, he becomes after the events of Yakuza 4 one of the closest friends of Kiryu, and is probably, with the former cop Makoto Date, the person who understands him the most. Kiryu holds him in great respect. He is playable in Yakuza 4 and 5.​
  • Taiga Saejima : Sworn brother of Goro Majima and playable character in Yakuza 4 and 5, Saejima just got out of prison. Physically imposing, he is very good at combat. Very stubborn, nothing can stops him once he has an idea in mind. He is playable in Yakuza 4 and 5.​
  • Masayoshi Tanimura : Playable character in Yakuza 4, Tanimura appears at first to be nothing but a corrupt cop. In reality, he is a just guy who wants to helps immigrants in Kamurocho, a cause he is sensitive to for his mother is Thai. On top of japanese, he speaks Chinese and Korean, which helps him numerous times.​
  • Tatsuo Shinada : Former baseball player who was promised to become one of the major stars in the Japanese league, Shinada was banned after being involved in a game fixing scandal. After that, he becomes an adult entertainment writer for a while, before a mysterious man asks him to put his life back on tracks by searching for the real cause of his ban.​
  • Ichiban Kasuga : Ichiban is the new main protagonist of the series from episode 7. Asked by his patriarch to go to jail for a murder he didn’t commit, he comes out eighteen years later only to find out that everyone seems to have forgotten him. Sharing the same human values as Kiryu (which could come from the fact that they’re both orphans), he also appears to be more emotive and reckless. A fan of Dragon Quest, he sees himself and his group of friends as true heroes.​
the-main-games.jpg

main-games.png

spin-offs-we-got.jpg

spin-off-eu.png

spin-offs-we-didnt-get.jpg

spin-off-japan.png

the-studio.jpg

After SEGA restructured its development teams under small studios headed by its best designers, Toshihiro Nagoshi, who worked for SEGA since eleven years by now, was given the direction of Amusement Vision. The studio produced numerous efforts for the company, most notable ones being Super Monkey Ball and F-Zero GX. In 2004, after another restructuration, the Amusement Vision team got bigger and Nagoshi had an idea of a game based on the Japanese underworld. Convincing both SEGA and Sony on the game was tough, but Nagoshi persevered and work on the first Yakuza game began shortly after. In 2005, Amusement Vision was dissolved as part of New Entertainment R&D and the first Yakuza was released.

Much to the surprise and relief of SEGA, the game was a big success and development for a sequel was launched. Yakuza 2, 3 and 4, as well as the first three spin-offs (one of them being codeveloped by Syn Sophia) were released in tight schedules before the studio was renamed Ryū ga Gotoku Studio in 2011. Since then, the Tokyo-based studio grew to more than 300 employees and proved to be one of the major players in SEGA revival, as well as being praised for its development efficiency.

In October 2021, Nagoshi, who was at one point the main creative figure at SEGA, left the company with many other key members of the team. The main writer of the Yakuza series, Masayoshi Yokoyama, then took the lead of the studio.

studio-team-2.png

(Before wrapping this post up, just wanted to give a shoutout to the fellow Yakuza fan @Derachi as well as @Brewster123 for his great Xenoblade ST which inspired me to make this one. And finally, since I'm not a native english speaker, don't hesitate to correct me on any grammar issue!)

Last edited:
Ooh, Yakuza, let's go!

I've only finished Yakuza 0 and Judgment so far, and got a couple hours in on Kiwami 1 before getting distracted for months and forgetting what happened, so I need to restart it and actually commit this time. Loved the Majima Everywhere system. I really want to try 7 at some point too, since turn-based games are a lot more my jam than beat 'em ups.

0 was really good and honestly a fantastic idea for a new starting point to try the series from, I'd heard good things about the series before it but it always seemed a bit intimidating to jump into, especially since the games took place chronologically. 0 just made it so much more casual to pick up and I had a fantastic time with it. The mini-games especially were so much fun.

Judgment I didn't like nearly as much, I can understand a lot of the appeal but a lot of it didn't quite land for me, but I'm probably going to mooch a copy of the sequel off a friend at some point to try that anyway.

Awesome OT!

Still need to play Lost Judgement, but everything else I’ve played. I’ll throw out a more detailed post soon

Great thread!

I'm currently making my way through LAD (loving it) and I'll probably go back to the Kiryu games sometime later (shame they took 0 and Kiwami off Gamepass, but they're generally cheap enough so I'll still be playing those next)

Thanks everyone !

Judgment I didn't like nearly as much, I can understand a lot of the appeal but a lot of it didn't quite land for me, but I'm probably going to mooch a copy of the sequel off a friend at some point to try that anyway.

I have yet to finish Lost Judgment (as you said, you have to really be committed to Yakuza games and I didn't have the time for it until two weeks ago), but so far the pacing is better, so it may be to your taste even if you didn't quite like the first one !

I know nothing about this series but it's been on my bucket list to try for ages.

That said, here's an interview with Nagoshi from the Archipel YT channel

Last edited:
I might have kinda weird tastes with Yakuza games where I love 3, 4, and 5 but haven't really found myself that enamoured with the others. I played and completed Zero and whilst I enjoyed it I'd rank it decently well below 3, 4, and 5 and I tried Kiwami 1 but I was really disappointed that Kiryu's fighting styles were all the same as they were in Zero which were the worst out of all the Yakuza games I played so I didn't stick with it for more than an hour.

I want to play through 1 and 2 before I go on to 6 at some point but with how long these games are I'm not sure when I'll actually do that.

I want to play through 1 and 2 before I go on to 6 at some point but with how long these games are I'm not sure when I'll actually do that.
If you stay focus on the main story, Kiwami 1 and 2 take around fifteen hours to beat iirc, so if you just wanna play them to get to 6 don't be too afraid (btw also loving Yakuza 4 and 5 so you're not alone!)

I love this series so much. I've played every mainline game (well, the remakes of 1 and 2 at least) plus Judgement and Lost Judgement

Need Yakuza 8 news ASAP. I'm always hungry for more Yakuza.

I have yet to finish Lost Judgment (as you said, you have to really be committed to Yakuza games and I didn't have the time for it until two weeks ago), but so far the pacing is better, so it may be to your taste even if you didn't quite like the first one !
Yeah! The friend I'll borrow it from has played both (and is the one who lent me Judgment in the first place, haha) and we chatted about the game together a bit after I finished it. From what they've told me, the second game has more of the things I liked and slightly less of the ones I disliked, so I'm hoping I'll have a better time with it. I'm especially looking forward to the dancing mini-game and the smaller amount of trailing segments.

I hope you have a good time with it too 😊

LET THE POWER OF YAKUZA COMPEL YOU

kiryu-love.gif

Ahum. I might not be the biggest Yakuza fan like @Derachi, but after getting a PS4 and having played through the entire Yakuza catalogue it offers I can safely say I have become a real fan of the series. I started with Y4 on the PS3 which I got for € 5 in a sale back then, but it being the fourth in the series, I kind of fell in the middle and while I enjoyed it, I missed something while playing. Back in 2018 when I got my PS4 and I started with Yakuza Kiwami.. I started to understand why the series was so loved by many. I can see why a lot of people would say "you started with Kiwami, that game is kind of stiff to be your point of entry for the series", but it was perfect for me.

I mean, I get the origin of the manliest dude you have ever seen, Kazuma Kiryu. And when you see the first few clips, you start thinking "I'm just seeing some Japanese Liam Neeson being the toughest guy around" but things quickly escalate. You learn that Kiryu is a man of honour, good at heart, but dear lord the man has no sympathy for your new bike cause he will wrap that baby around some poor thug's neck. The Yakuza games are about fighting (with several styles at times) and oh man, the beatdowns are plenty. Kiwami intruces what Kiryu's about, the special bond he gets with Haruka, that absolutely nutty but lovable Goro Majima, the absolute mess that is the Tojo Clan and the complicated world of the Yakuza. Well that's the gist of it, because like the majority of the time you are just helping strangers with their daily lives; from girls being harassed, to shopkeepers having Yakuza issues or even business owners not getting enough revenue and they believe Kiryu-chan can help them out. Kiryu will (in the sequels) lament the fact how he keeps getting himself involved in these situations, but the big lug is a softie, but he would never admit that. Oh and you go to hostess bars, play old Sega games in the Arcade, let girls in bug themed bikini's wrestle each other and oh, that Majima guy? He wants you to improve your fighting skills so he can fight you at your peak. So in normal brawls with streetthugs he will just pop up at random, ready to strike at me with his gleeful "KIRYU-CHAN" screams. I know some Yakuza fans thought the Majima anywhere feature was a bit much, but seeing him pop up in the weirdest places made me laugh way too hard.

Still, Kiwami, while not the best in the series, really sparked my interest for the series. And Yakuza Zero was the one that cemented my love for the series. The eighties setting was absolutely aces, but the younger Kiryu and Majima, both playable in engrossing stories was the perfect match. You know what was even better? the Cabaret minigame. I really hope we'll see it return in a newer installment, because that game was absolutely amazing. Spent hours maximizing my profits. But it's not the only reason why I like 0. It's the game that perfectly shows how fun the side stories are, how chill all the minigames can be and the story is a great one wich not only shows a younger, somewhat more gungho Kiryu, but adds more layers to Goro Majima, who's Mad Dog of Shimano act is a mask, hiding his true personality.

Afterwards I kept playing... Kiwami 2 was a definite improvement over the first Kiwami; the battle system was way better and the game used the Dragon Engine for the first time. Did some weird things at times, but overall solid. Then Sega was so kind to release the Yakuza collection and I enjyoed that a lot. While 3 is a very early PS3 game in every aspect in this collection, it does a good job of showing Kiryu's new direction. Playing 4 for a second time gave me far more fun that I expected, especially when my guy Akiyama offers a fresh prespecive and a cool fighting style. Yakuza 5... while a good game, that game is extremely bloated with five(!) playable characters and so many extra activities that you almost forget it's a Yakuza game. And it's still crazy pants. As Kiryu you are dodging rocketlauncher missiles, hunting a demon bear with Saejima, bumming it with Akiyama, star as a fallen baseball player who writes pieces about the erotic industry in his town and oh, you also try to become an idol with Haruka in awesome rythm games. Yes, that's all in one game.

With Yakuza 6 Kiryu's story came to an end and it's one my favourite games in the series as well. Kiryu running arond with a baby, searching for the truth in Hiroshima makes for an interesting scenery change. It has a great cast, a fun scenery, awesome side content and a satisfying conclusion for Kiryu's tale. I was still sad to see him go.

Thank god the team knocked it out of the park with the new protag, Ichiban Kasuga. While more emotional and rash compared to Kiryu, he's an absolute winner in my book. A DQ nerd, kind to many people and like Kiryu a good heart, he won me over in just one game. Even the battle style change, with the franchise becoming an RPG, worked out very well with a fun job system. If you want to play Like a Dragon, do it. It's a great way to get introduced to Yakuza.

And don't get me wrong, the series has its downsides; the use of Tokyo's Kamurocho in many games might burn people out, the many figths with thugs, gangs, yakuza's and more might be a bit too much, the story jumping the shark at times; there is room for improvement. Even in terms of the story things can be better. The writers can clumsely try to be more positive about sex workers but not doing a great job on telling a story about it; there are even some people who feel that the game gets a bit too real (like the infamous Y4 scene between Saejima and Haruka) or even celebrate the Yakuza, but I think a lot of fans can tell that the events in yakuza are some bad shit and that in general we're watching a bunch of bad people doing some shady stuff. But we can appreciate on how characters try to change or give more information in regards to their views.

Anyway, Yakuza Baaaybeeeee

ElementaryTemptingGander-size_restricted.gif

Fantastic work on the OP!

3b493979ae7ed3521d4ec00e2d41f725.gif

Actually playing the Lost Judgment DLC - The Kaito Files this weekend and it's real good. Actually is showing more sides to his character outside of what you might expect so far.

How hard are the psp games to go back to?

Only played a bit of 1 but you'll notice the difference in gameplay immediately from any other Yakuza game when it comes to the combat phase. It's really cool, tbh. Was waiting to see if the fan translation patch got updated to include the side missions (since at the moment it's just the main story afaik).

If you stay focus on the main story, Kiwami 1 and 2 take around fifteen hours to beat iirc, so if you just wanna play them to get to 6 don't be too afraid (btw also loving Yakuza 4 and 5 so you're not alone!)
Yeah? I probably should get round to doing that then so I can see how Kiryu's story ends. To be fair I was maybe being a little harsh on Kiwami 1 when I first tried it anyway as it was straight after I finished 0 so I was probably a bit burnt out on Yakuza in general so maybe I'd enjoy it more anyway.

Glad to see there's fans of the PS3 Yakuza's too, feel like those games don't get mentioned as much as some of the others.

Awesome OP and ST @Party Sklar ! I first got into the Yakuza games with Yakuza 0 and have played all the localized games since. I think Yakuza 0, Kiwami 2, and Lost Judgment are my favorite games. Lot of fondness for Yakuza 5 too with all of the characters, cities, and extensive side games.

Excited to see Yakuza 8 (maybe this year?) and hopefully we’ll get Ishin and Kenzan one day.

Such a great series, I really need to sit down and get to Yakuza 5 (and then 6 and then 7).

Phenomenal work on the ST! I love Yakuza. It's among my all-time favorite series. There was a huge influx of new fans in 2017, with the Western releases of Yakuza 0 + Kiwami, and I was glad to be among that wave. I regret not getting into the games sooner, tbh. I didn't expect Y0 to be among the greatest games I've ever played! It's genuinely, like, my third favorite game of all time.

Sadly, although I picked up Like A Dragon at launch, I've still yet to play it for more than just a few hours. I dunno why, as I really enjoyed what I did play, but I just keep putting off going back to it. 😅 I own an unplayed copy of Lost Judgment as well, so that's two games in a row I'll end up running through, later this year. Good times ahead.

Last edited:
LET THE POWER OF YAKUZA COMPEL YOU

kiryu-love.gif

Ahum. I might not be the biggest Yakuza fan like @Derachi, but after getting a PS4 and having played through the entire Yakuza catalogue it offers I can safely say I have become a real fan of the series. I started with Y4 on the PS3 which I got for € 5 in a sale back then, but it being the fourth in the series, I kind of fell in the middle and while I enjoyed it, I missed something while playing. Back in 2018 when I got my PS4 and I started with Yakuza Kiwami.. I started to understand why the series was so loved by many. I can see why a lot of people would say "you started with Kiwami, that game is kind of stiff to be your point of entry for the series", but it was perfect for me.

I mean, I get the origin of the manliest dude you have ever seen, Kazuma Kiryu. And when you see the first few clips, you start thinking "I'm just seeing some Japanese Liam Neeson being the toughest guy around" but things quickly escalate. You learn that Kiryu is a man of honour, good at heart, but dear lord the man has no sympathy for your new bike cause he will wrap that baby around some poor thug's neck. The Yakuza games are about fighting (with several styles at times) and oh man, the beatdowns are plenty. Kiwami intruces what Kiryu's about, the special bond he gets with Haruka, that absolutely nutty but lovable Goro Majima, the absolute mess that is the Tojo Clan and the complicated world of the Yakuza. Well that's the gist of it, because like the majority of the time you are just helping strangers with their daily lives; from girls being harassed, to shopkeepers having Yakuza issues or even business owners not getting enough revenue and they believe Kiryu-chan can help them out. Kiryu will (in the sequels) lament the fact how he keeps getting himself involved in these situations, but the big lug is a softie, but he would never admit that. Oh and you go to hostess bars, play old Sega games in the Arcade, let girls in bug themed bikini's wrestle each other and oh, that Majima guy? He wants you to improve your fighting skills so he can fight you at your peak. So in normal brawls with streetthugs he will just pop up at random, ready to strike at me with his gleeful "KIRYU-CHAN" screams. I know some Yakuza fans thought the Majima anywhere feature was a bit much, but seeing him pop up in the weirdest places made me laugh way too hard.

Still, Kiwami, while not the best in the series, really sparked my interest for the series. And Yakuza Zero was the one that cemented my love for the series. The eighties setting was absolutely aces, but the younger Kiryu and Majima, both playable in engrossing stories was the perfect match. You know what was even better? the Cabaret minigame. I really hope we'll see it return in a newer installment, because that game was absolutely amazing. Spent hours maximizing my profits. But it's not the only reason why I like 0. It's the game that perfectly shows how fun the side stories are, how chill all the minigames can be and the story is a great one wich not only shows a younger, somewhat more gungho Kiryu, but adds more layers to Goro Majima, who's Mad Dog of Shimano act is a mask, hiding his true personality.

Afterwards I kept playing... Kiwami 2 was a definite improvement over the first Kiwami; the battle system was way better and the game used the Dragon Engine for the first time. Did some weird things at times, but overall solid. Then Sega was so kind to release the Yakuza collection and I enjyoed that a lot. While 3 is a very early PS3 game in every aspect in this collection, it does a good job of showing Kiryu's new direction. Playing 4 for a second time gave me far more fun that I expected, especially when my guy Akiyama offers a fresh prespecive and a cool fighting style. Yakuza 5... while a good game, that game is extremely bloated with five(!) playable characters and so many extra activities that you almost forget it's a Yakuza game. And it's still crazy pants. As Kiryu you are dodging rocketlauncher missiles, hunting a demon bear with Saejima, bumming it with Akiyama, star as a fallen baseball player who writes pieces about the erotic industry in his town and oh, you also try to become an idol with Haruka in awesome rythm games. Yes, that's all in one game.

With Yakuza 6 Kiryu's story came to an end and it's one my favourite games in the series as well. Kiryu running arond with a baby, searching for the truth in Hiroshima makes for an interesting scenery change. It has a great cast, a fun scenery, awesome side content and a satisfying conclusion for Kiryu's tale. I was still sad to see him go.

Thank god the team knocked it out of the park with the new protag, Ichiban Kasuga. While more emotional and rash compared to Kiryu, he's an absolute winner in my book. A DQ nerd, kind to many people and like Kiryu a good heart, he won me over in just one game. Even the battle style change, with the franchise becoming an RPG, worked out very well with a fun job system. If you want to play Like a Dragon, do it. It's a great way to get introduced to Yakuza.

And don't get me wrong, the series has its downsides; the use of Tokyo's Kamurocho in many games might burn people out, the many figths with thugs, gangs, yakuza's and more might be a bit too much, the story jumping the shark at times; there is room for improvement. Even in terms of the story things can be better. The writers can clumsely try to be more positive about sex workers but not doing a great job on telling a story about it; there are even some people who feel that the game gets a bit too real (like the infamous Y4 scene between Saejima and Haruka) or even celebrate the Yakuza, but I think a lot of fans can tell that the events in yakuza are some bad shit and that in general we're watching a bunch of bad people doing some shady stuff. But we can appreciate on how characters try to change or give more information in regards to their views.

Anyway, Yakuza Baaaybeeeee

ElementaryTemptingGander-size_restricted.gif
Incredible love letter to the series, almost brought a tear to my eyes. You pretty much summed up all that I like about these games.

As for Ichiban :

ichi.jpg

One of my favorite franchises. Initially, when it was advertised as japanese GTA, not interested and kind of disliked it. I started with Yakuza 3 when I got a PS3 and gave it a shot. I was surprised how different it was from what I expected and ever since became a fan. My favorites are 0, 5 and 7.

All this Yakuza talk got me looking some stuff up and I came across this old Trailer for Yakuza 4 and it is absolutely hilarious. A real misrepresentation of the game but the narration is just so funny. Looking back though no wonder people didn't realise what the games were like when this was the kind of marketing they were getting.

All this Yakuza talk got me looking some stuff up and I came across this old Trailer for Yakuza 4 and it is absolutely hilarious. A real misrepresentation of the game but the narration is just so funny. Looking back though no wonder people didn't realise what the games were like when this was the kind of marketing they were getting.

Lmao this is incredible. They were trying very hard to go for the Rockstar fanbase. Imagine buying a game about "bad people, the most brutal and committed individuals ever to grace Tokyo's infamous underworld" only to play a game in which one of those "bad people" babysits and buy curry for other dudes

Yeah this is already 4 games in. Actually this is when the western fan base struggled to get 4 and 5. When Mahjong and other things were cut because "westerner wouldn't get it". Even though the target audience were people sucking up anything Japan.

I made a new poll thread asking if the Yakuza series will ever come to Switch. Come on by, hang out, and participate!

If you never played them, Yakuza 0/Kiwami/Kiwami 2 are back in the GP starting today !

Finally, we might get a look at Yakuza 8 in just a week! RGG Studio will have a stream on September 8th, 8PM JST (1PM CEST / 7 AM ET / 4 AM PT) on Youtube which will probably feature the first trailer for the game.

For as much as I love RGG, they might genuinely have the worst “showcases” in the business. I genuinely cannot remember the last one that was worth watching. Maybe Judgment Day, but that was literally just a trailer, so I don’t really count it. Have no faith whatsoever that the next event will be any better than this one.

They went full Atlus today. Never go full Atlus.

For as much as I love RGG, they might genuinely have the worst “showcases” in the business. I genuinely cannot remember the last one that was worth watching. Maybe Judgment Day, but that was literally just a trailer, so I don’t really count it. Have no faith whatsoever that the next event will be any better than this one.

They went full Atlus today. Never go full Atlus.
The show was pretty terrible but at least it was only 30 minutes, I still have nightmares about a Square Enix NieR presentation at TGS which was 1h30 of just them talking about merchandising 😭

Wonder if Like a Dragon will stay as the primary title, and we get a new subtitle for Y8. Something along the lines of Like a Dragon: Ichiban’s Bad Hair Day or whatever.

Gonna show these pics to my barber next time he asks me what do I want

A148-B5-FA-8-B1-E-4-CD2-9-BA1-D8-CE27-C7046-F.jpg

I only played 0 so far, but the trailer yesterday got me hyped for some Yakuza again. Will dive into Kiwami as soon as I finish the game I'm currently playing.

Pretty weird naming the game "Like a Dragon 8"

And even if I love Kiryu I really hope this continues to be Ichiban's story

I feel like I’m just going to keep calling it Yakuza 8 because it is shorter and changing the name on the 10th(?) Yakuza game I’ll have played is weird. This really feels like being a Final Fantasy fan where the game you first knew as 3 is really 6 and then for like forever after we always have to specify do you mean 3 or 6 in every conversation.

At least LAD8 is a fun acronym. 2024 feels very far away, happy we get Ishin soon.

Edit: I’m just saying if their goal was to make the series less intimidating by dropping the 7 last time, adding back an 8 and changing the name entirely is a bad idea.

New Kiryu game is action-rpg like all the pre-LAD games, but will only be half-size...so perhaps 10-15 hours long?

It's so weird to have made peace with Kiryu being done with the series, only to return for another 2 and 1/2 more games...

So the correct play order is Like a Dragon: Ishin > Yakuza 0 > Yakuza Kiwami > Majima Saga > Yakuza Kiwami 2 > Yakuza 3 Remastered > Yakuza 4 Remastered > Yakuza 5 Remastered > Yakuza 6 > Like a Dragon: Gaiden > Judgment > Yakuza: Like a Dragon > Lost Judgment > Kaito Files > Like a Dragon 8.

Yeah, that won't be confusing to new/casual gamers whatsoever. Back to the niche we go!

Last edited:
New Kiryu game is action-rpg like all the pre-LAD games, but will only be half-size...so perhaps 10-15 hours long?

It's so weird to have made peace with Kiryu being done with the series, only to return for another 2 and 1/2 more games...
I think it has to do with the sales declining in Japan but it's a bit weird, yes. I also hope that the game will be priced accordingly if it's half-size (but still, I'd take a physical edition for the collection, please)

Like a Dragon is a great name, I'm glad they changed it. "Yakuza" was like if the Mario games were called "Plumber" or something lol

Is there word if 8 will be a RPG again?

Back
Top Bottom