• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic YAKUZA / LIKE A DRAGON COMMUNITY |ST| A FAMIBOARDS CLAN SUBSIDIARY

Going through the trailer, these are the changes in character appearances. Obviously not final.

Old
New
Hanpeita Takechi (Ishin)​
Keiji Shibusawa (Yakuza 0)​
Isami Kondo (Ishin)​
Koichi Adachi (Yakuza: Like a Dragon)​
Hiroshi Hayashi (Yakuza Kiwami)​
Hiroki Awano (Yakuza 0)​
Goh Hamazaki (Yakuza 3)​
Daisaku Kuze (Yakuza 0)​
Minoru Aoyama (Yakuza 5)​
Masato Arakawa (Yakuza: Like a Dragon)​
Shigeki Baba (Yakuza 5)​
Tianyou Zhao (Yakuza: Like a Dragon)​
Hiroshi Kugihara (Yakuza 5)​
Joon-gi Han (Yakuza 6)​
Kan Ogita (Yakuza 5)​
Kanji Koshimizu (Yakuza 6)​
Yahata (Yakuza 5)​
Akira Mabuchi (Yakuza: Like a Dragon)​

Not a whole lot lost. Yakuza 5 got purged, and rightfully so, but losing Hamazaki and Baba is unfortunate. Surprised we kept Morinaga though. Don't particularly care for Mabuchi and Koshimizu's likenesses being used, although I've long speculated that Koshimizu would pop up in Like a Dragon 8, so that could be the reason for that. And, while I'm happy they're here, Zhao and Han stick out like a sore thumb compared to everyone else, their modern designs clash really badly.

The biggest absences are undoubtedly Sagawa, Tachibana, and Lee from 0, Nagumo, Hirose, Yuta, and Someya from 6, and of course Nanba and Masumi Arakawa from Like a Dragon. Can't have them all, but I would've much rather had a few of these picks over Mabuchi and Koshimizu if we had the choice. Hopefully some of them show up as new characters in side content.

I remember playing Yakuza 3 for the first time and, oblivious to the game's reputation, played it on Hard. I still remember taking like, an hour on the first end-of-chapter boss and feeling like garbage by the end lmao. Also almost had a heart attack beating the final boss try, but in a positive way. Regarding the story:

Remove the Black Monday/government stuff from the plot and it would be infinitely better. I may be batshit saying this but I thought the orphanage bits were great and should have had more of a focus on it. Turn the whole game into a "Kiryu saves the orphanage from being paved over by a Yakuza money laundering op" story and honestly I think it could be one of the top 5 of the series.

Plus Akiyama is awesome! I’m kind of curious if Haruka will show up in some capacity. While I understand some people think it’s cheap for Kiryu to return after seemingly closing the chapter on his tenure in the series, I still kind of hope Kiryu gets a happy ending.

I think Haruka would rather have Kiryu in her life
I seriously hope they don't do anything with Haruka. The whole point of Yakuza 6's ending (and the moral dilemma of it) is that Haruka would much rather have Kiryu in her life. There's a serious debate to be had of whether Kiryu's choice to remove himself from Haruka's life for her own protection is morally correct (as it ensures her family stays safe) or entirely selfish (as Haruka wouldn't want him to leave).

That's the main reason why I absolutely adore Yakuza 6's ending, especially when juxtaposed against Yakuza 0, which is nearly identical with Majima's decision to hide his identity from Makoto. Raises another question of who was "correct": Majima left Makoto's life immediately, and as a result she was able to raise a family free from danger, but she almost certainly would've rather known who Majima was if given the choice, and as a result she harbored deep regrets for 18 years. Conversely, Haruka had to deal with significant turmoil and danger when she was connected with Kiryu, but she wouldn't trade that for the world, and would gladly put herself at risk again if she knew Kiryu was still alive.

It's great stuff all around, so giving Kiryu a happy ending would not only make pretty much no sense, but it would undermine everything they had built up over the modern Yakuza games. Kiryu's story does not have to be over, but Haruka's should be.

I seriously hope they don't do anything with Haruka. The whole point of Yakuza 6's ending (and the moral dilemma of it) is that Haruka would much rather have Kiryu in her life. There's a serious debate to be had of whether Kiryu's choice to remove himself from Haruka's life for her own protection is morally correct (as it ensures her family stays safe) or entirely selfish (as Haruka wouldn't want him to leave).

That's the main reason why I absolutely adore Yakuza 6's ending, especially when juxtaposed against Yakuza 0, which is nearly identical with Majima's decision to hide his identity from Makoto. Raises another question of who was "correct": Majima left Makoto's life immediately, and as a result she was able to raise a family free from danger, but she almost certainly would've rather known who Majima was if given the choice, and as a result she harbored deep regrets for 18 years. Conversely, Haruka had to deal with significant turmoil and danger when she was connected with Kiryu, but she wouldn't trade that for the world, and would gladly put herself at risk again if she knew Kiryu was still alive.

It's great stuff all around, so giving Kiryu a happy ending would not only make pretty much no sense, but it would undermine everything they had built up over the modern Yakuza games. Kiryu's story does not have to be over, but Haruka's should be.
Agree with ALL of this.

I kind of worded it badly

I agree with everything you said. I think Haruka’s story is done, but I wouldn’t put it past RGG studio to have her involved in some way. That would undermine the ending to the Song of Life. I really hope they won’t go on that direction.

With a happy ending for Kiryu I mean that he doesn’t need to punish himself. He is allowed to live for himself.

Thinking about it, I really hope that the Gaiden spin-off will mark the return of
Akiyama. We see at the end of 6 that he understands that Kiryu is not dead, and I’ve always loved the dynamics between the two of them, the kind of laid-back respect they have for each other.

I would love to see him back, but i'm under the suspicion that somebody at RGG Studio doesn't like him. In Yakuza 5 he is the only character without a dedicated side story and in they made him look like a chump in 6 :(

Well, I certainly didn't expect to wake up to all this goodness, earlier this morning. I was among those disappointed by yesterday's Direct, but it's a mere distant memory to me, now that RGG Studio has brought the heat.
  • After years of repeated fan requests, we're finally seeing Ishin not only localized, but remade. Yes! On top of that, Hitoshi Ozawa (Kuze), Riki Takeuchi (Awano), and Hideo Nakano (Shibusawa) returning to the franchise for roles in Ishin is extremely exciting. I still maintain that Yakuza 0 is the best in the series, and I'm glad the Dojima lieutenants will again have their chance to shine.
  • Kiryu is back. Actually back, not just as a cameo. Like others, I'm conflicted on this. All that stuff said about how Yakuza 6 would be the final game in his saga, only for them to not only give him his own, post-6 side story game, but also feature him as a protagonist in 8, alongside Ichiban. Am I excited? Absolutely. Does it feel cheap, regardless? Yeah...
  • Judgment and Lost Judgment ported to PC. I seem to remember hearing this would never happen, due to legal issues between Sega, and Takuya Kimura's management agency, but I'm glad they seem to have worked something out.

Agree with every single word, RGG Studio knows how to treat their fans.

I only just now realized that we're probably gonna get HD Dragon Engine quality face scans for our true lord and savior, Andre Richardson. God bless RGG for finally giving us what we deserve.

So I’ve only played the first game on PS2 and I remember enjoying it quite a bit. There was that girl that you take care of. Does she continue to be an important character in the series? Does she grow up?

I also distinctly remember a boss a third or midway through the game that was pretty hard and intimidating. All I can recall was that he had a a bat and/or a knife and moved really fast. And he had an eyepatch and a leopard jacket I think?

Either way, hope the series eventually comes to Nintendo systems so I can relive those memories.

So I’ve only played the first game on PS2 and I remember enjoying it quite a bit. There was that girl that you take care of. Does she continue to be an important character in the series? Does she grow up?

I also distinctly remember a boss a third or midway through the game that was pretty hard and intimidating. All I can recall was that he had a a bat and/or a knife and moved really fast. And he had an eyepatch and a leopard jacket I think?

Either way, hope the series eventually comes to Nintendo systems so I can relive those memories.
they-had-us-in-the-first-half-not-gonna-lie.gif

Both of the characters you describe here are fairly major / important ones across the games, I'll say that much. Hopefully you get the chance to revisit the series sometime. My experience with Yakuza, for the longest time, was limited to a PS2 demo of the first game that I had only a vague recollection of. After 2017's localization of Yakuza 0, and the subsequent experiences I had with the rest of the series, it became one of my all-time favorites.

I jumped into this series when it started coming to Gamepass. I love it so much. I still have yet to play Judgment though. One of the best series ever.

Starting Judgment tonight, pretty excited to get into it, managed to avoid any possible spoiler so I'm going in completely blind.

Starting Judgment tonight, pretty excited to get into it, managed to avoid any possible spoiler so I'm going in completely blind.
Second best story in the series, imo (after 0, but I haven't played Like a Dragon or Lost Judgment yet). There are some really cool characters and narrative developments in the game, so I hope you enjoy it!

I’m nearing the end of Like a Dragon and let me tell you I’m enjoying it but I’m also lost about the future of the franchise, and too scared to do research because I don’t know what spoilers I’ll hit.
  • Is Like a Dragon 8 a direct sequel to Yakuza Like a Dragon? I saw Ichiban in some thumbnails and got excited
  • Do I need to play 0-7 (or whatever they are) to pick up from here? I’d really rather not. Sorry fami, not interested in being sold on them.
  • Will we ever see the JRPG form again? It’s much more up my alley

I’m nearing the end of Like a Dragon and let me tell you I’m enjoying it but I’m also lost about the future of the franchise, and too scared to do research because I don’t know what spoilers I’ll hit.
  • Is Like a Dragon 8 a direct sequel to Yakuza Like a Dragon? I saw Ichiban in some thumbnails and got excited
  • Do I need to play 0-7 (or whatever they are) to pick up from here? I’d really rather not. Sorry fami, not interested in being sold on them.
  • Yes, direct sequel. Ichiban returns as protagonist, alongside Kiryu. I'd recommend watching the teaser trailer, as it's not terribly spoilery.
  • I don't believe so. You'll miss references, and won't know the history of certain legacy characters, but assuming they keep the narrative centered on Ichiban and his ilk (which they've said they have every intent to), I don't see 0-6 being extremely relevant, or necessary? They've repeatedly underscored how 7 was meant to serve as an entry point for newcomers.
  • The next mainline game retains the JRPG format, yes. Kiryu will be getting their own side story spinoff, which features the classic brawler gameplay instead.

Aurc absolutely summed up everything here perfectly, but I’ll add: If you ever have any questions whatsoever (“who is this?” “why should I care about this?” “wait, what happened there?”) feel free to DM me! I’m a BIT of a Yakuza lore dork and will happily fill you in without you needing to play the games you don’t wanna play!

• Yes, direct sequel. Ichiban returns as protagonist, alongside Kiryu. I'd recommend watching the teaser trailer, as it's not terribly spoilery.
  • I don't believe so. You'll miss references, and won't know the history of certain legacy characters, but assuming they keep the narrative centered on Ichiban and his ilk (which they've said they have every intent to), I don't see 0-6 being extremely relevant, or necessary? They've repeatedly underscored how 7 was meant to serve as an entry point for newcomers.
  • The next mainline game retains the JRPG format, yes. Kiryu will be getting their own side story spinoff, which features the classic brawler gameplay instead.

Aurc absolutely summed up everything here perfectly, but I’ll add: If you ever have any questions whatsoever (“who is this?” “why should I care about this?” “wait, what happened there?”) feel free to DM me! I’m a BIT of a Yakuza lore dork and will happily fill you in without you needing to play the games you don’t wanna play!

Ahh I love you both for this thanks!

Consider me damn excited now. I just need to finish off the last Chapters.

There is actually going to be a smaller Yakuza/LaD game releasing before 8 that will probably fill in all of the blanks between the two games. It was announced alongside of 8.

Hey, it's underground enough to have Kiryu in a glass ball. He needs to get out of there.
What do you think the glass ball is for? That’s the only thing containing the underground atmosphere and preventing it from infecting all of our Switches.

eh, never really got why this mini-game got so popular.
never really got into it during 0, and i was also particularly baffled when Kiwami 2 stops the main storyline temporarily just to throw the mini-game (with the same girls from 0 managing it, even.) at your face.

Really curious as to how the cabaret will be implemented. Have to imagine Yuki will return again (and she’s gonna be in her 50s, goddamn).

eh, never really got why this mini-game got so popular.
never really got into it during 0, and i was also particularly baffled when Kiwami 2 stops the main storyline temporarily just to throw the mini-game (with the same girls from 0 managing it, even.) at your face.

I think the kinda Kairosoft-lite gameplay works for a lot of people. It’s easy, fun and addictive! So I’m happy it’s returning, but I get that some might be sick of it

I think the kinda Kairosoft-lite gameplay works for a lot of people. It’s easy, fun and addictive! So I’m happy it’s returning, but I get that some might be sick of it
Calling it Kairosoft-lite I think actually nails it. Honestly whenever I’m thinking about the Cabaret club minigame, my first thought is almost always “why can’t I play this on my phone”

I think a Yakuza-branded Host Club mobile gacha game where you can unlock Yakuza men to be hosts would drain my wallet lmao

This makes me and a friend of mine very happy, as we both love the cabaret minigame. Cabaret together with the shareholder game are greatest in the franchise

Been watching some Ishin gameplay, and I am pretty sure this will be my introduction to the series. What can I say, I like katanas in video games, and this looks fun!

Just hope this isn't one of those cases where jumping in with a side game is a bad idea, but the setting of this game speaks to me a lot more than the rest of the series.

The voice actors for Kiryu and Majima were Popuko and Pipimi for this week’s Pop Team Epic (Season 2 Episode 11, back half). They may have snuck in a small Yakuza joke or two lol. This was one of the segments lol.

Been laughing for five minutes straight, thank you so much for sharing that

i feel like nothing is ever gonna top the time they appeared on Thomas & Friends, though.

not only is Majima a boat, but Kiryu also appears as a giant construction crane.

it's some sort of collab with the anime "Pop Team Epic"
huh.

for reference, this seems to have been done because the latest episode of that series had Kiryu and Majima's VOs voicing the titular pop team duo. even acknowledging where most people would recognize them from.

Less than a month to Ishin now - very keen to experience the changes they've made. It's my favourite in the series (equal with 0) and I'm glad more people will finally get to experience it.

I'm still going with Kenzan, in Chapter 10 and it's great. I'm having a good time just going through all the side stories.

I’m so hyped

Damn they really did show off the final boss here, huh. Not that most people will make the connection, but showing that Takechi is a boss at all is a bit of a spoiler in itself. Gonna be real weird selling Kiryu and Shibusawa as brothers.

Anyway, can't wait. I have my doubts about the gameplay, but I'll always be there day 1 for more Yakuza/Like a Dragon/Judgment/whatever the hell the naming convention is.

Do you think it is a good idea to play this if I didn't finish all prior games? Will I miss anything?

Do you think it is a good idea to play this if I didn't finish all prior games? Will I miss anything?
Some fan service will probably go over your head, but nothing more, Ichin's a stand alone game and story

Thank you!

Edit: Has there any thing been changed from the original music wise? I remember I heard Yakuza 6 cut some songs?
We don’t know yet. I think they said that they’d be adding some more songs that better fit the new likenesses (I.E. adding a Pledge of Demon remix for when you inevitably fight Kuze) but I only saw that in passing so I’m not confident. Whether they’d cut songs to make room for new ones is also an unknown.

So excited to finally get to play Ishin! And it's releasing later this month aaaaaaaa-

On a different note, tried going back to Y3 recently to finish up the remaining sidequests, mainly so I could fight Amon (Y3 Jo Amon and Y0 So Amon are the only main series ones I haven't beat yet), got through the remaining hostesses before realizing oh god i have to do decent in golf to unlock that one substory. i still have to catch Mr. Try and Catch Me in that game's awful chase mechanic. Pain

got through the remaining hostesses before realizing oh god i have to do decent in golf to unlock that one substory. i still have to catch Mr. Try and Catch Me in that game's awful chase mechanic. Pain
If you can do pool and darts (and colliseum), you can do golf! If you can do Mac's final chase, you can definitely do Mr. Try and Catch Me! Good luck!

I got the platinum in December, and found golf to be pretty chill...just need a bit of RNG. Y5 is my final platinum and very close to just giving up haha.

Back
Top Bottom