• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic YAKUZA / LIKE A DRAGON COMMUNITY |ST| A FAMIBOARDS CLAN SUBSIDIARY

Honest question: is this stream only going to focus on Yakuza? I’m watching in hopes of a new Monkey Ball, but I’m not sure if that’s even a remote possibility 😂

Sorry, I know this is the Yakuza thread, but you all seem like you’d be the most knowledgeable

I also have no idea where else I’d ask this question lmao

Honest question: is this stream only going to focus on Yakuza? I’m watching in hopes of a new Monkey Ball, but I’m not sure if that’s even a remote possibility 😂

Sorry, I know this is the Yakuza thread, but you all seem like you’d be the most knowledgeable

I also have no idea where else I’d ask this question lmao
It's only going to be Yakuza and related stuff

Yeah that was pointless, but confirmation of a fall show is nice. That one should be a lot better, probably gonna get gameplay tied to TGS for both games along with maybe a new announcement beyond that.

with how awful rgg tends to be with female characters, I'm half expecting that to be a big excuse to write Saeko out of the game tbh

It’s definitely worth noting that we’ve now seen at least two canon romances after Nagoshi left, pretty much immediately. Wonder if he was pushing hard against that, and now that he’s gone that restriction isn’t in place anymore.

It’s definitely worth noting that we’ve now seen at least two canon romances after Nagoshi left, pretty much immediately. Wonder if he was pushing hard against that, and now that he’s gone that restriction isn’t in place anymore.
What's the second one?

Had to watch the archive. Probably wasn’t worth watching, but I did like seeing how happy Kiryu’s voice actor was to be back with a new game.

Alright everyone, dodging any post because I want to know the least about last announcements, but here to say that I finally started to play Kiwami 2!

Feels great to be a part of this saga again, and the Dragon Engine makes it even more dynamic so it's really cool (fyi: my experience with the series is 0 -> K1 -> Ishin so far).
The only downside at the moment imo is the side activities that are... Not great to say the least. I didn't try everything but a good part is forgetable so far, tbh I was expecting much more on that part :(

At least Clan Creator seems funny enough and Cabaret Management return couldn't make me happier since I really liked it in 0. Was a bit scared at first sight because I was like "no way I'm doing it again from start to finish" but I did the first league and i'm confident I will pass too much time on this lmao.

Currently at Chapter 5 and it's pretty cool so far. Also the recontextualization of Kiwami 1 made me realize that game was pretty denser than I thought after beating it. I love that its follow-up doesn't rely exclusively on the event of K1. Like I see things and i'm like "oh yeah I remember that part that was cool" and if I dont i'm not completely confused and I have just to do a little research on internet if I want to remember the thing.

Anyway can't wait to continue the adventure. I loved playing Ishin earlier this year and feared 2 Yakuza games in one year would be too much to handle for me, seems it's not the case at all (but since they are really different maybe it would not have been the seem if I played K1 and K2 instead)

Last edited:
Alright everyone, dodging any post because I want to know the least about last announcements, but here to say that I finally started to play Kiwami 2!

Feels great to be a part of this saga again, and the Dragon Engine makes it even more dynamic so it's really cool (fyi: my experience with the series is 0 -> K1 -> Ishin so far).
The only downside at the moment imo is the side activities that are... Not great to say the least. I didn't try everything but a good part is forgetable so far, tbh I was expecting much more on that part :(

At least Clan Creator seems funny enough and Cabaret Management return couldn't make me happier since I really liked it in 0. Was a bit scared at first sight because I was like "no way I'm doing it again from start to finish" but I did the first league and i'm confident I will pass too much time on this lmao.

Currently at Chapter 5 and it's pretty cool so far. Also the recontextualization of Kiwami 1 made me realize that game was pretty denser than I thought after beating it. I love that its follow-up doesn't rely exclusively on the event of K1. Like I see things and i'm like "oh yeah I remember that part that was cool" and if I dont i'm not completely confused and I have just to do a little research on internet if I want to remember the thing.

Anyway can't wait to continue the adventure. I loved playing Ishin earlier this year and feared 2 Yakuza games in one year would be too much to handle for me, seems it's not the case at all (but since they are really different maybe it would not have been the seem if I played K1 and K2 instead)
Enjoy Kiwami 2! It's definitely a high point in the series and features – imo – the best antagonist of all

HOW

my first thought was if SEGA would ever bother trying to get the Judgement games on there later, considering the legal situation with Johnny's blocked it from coming to PC at all for years. (with the Stadia/Luna ports existing as a sort of compromise using the work they already did for it at the time.)
a DRM-free version would only make things more complicated.

So it seems that the preorder bonus for Gaiden, the Legendary Fighters Pack, isn’t just a set of three boss fights. You can apparently play as them too.

I dunno why they’d be bringing back Majima and Saejima’s movesets, and creating an entirely new playable moveset for Daigo, if there weren’t plans to use them later. Think the Gaiden subseries is gonna stick around for quite a while.

Yikes

Another win for the people playing those games in Japanese

Full Twitter thread from Yong addressing the video above. Take it as you will. Kurylo also gave his stamp of approval for the switch.

Now, whether Yong can put in a convincing English performance or not remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Didn't thought the clip was so old.

Full Twitter thread from Yong addressing the video above. Take it as you will. Kurylo also gave his stamp of approval for the switch.

Now, whether Yong can put in a convincing English performance or not remains to be seen.

Super empty apology tbh. The guy is still a horrid horrid choice for Kiryu. He's absolutely not "closer to Kiryu's culture" either, him being Asian doesn't make a bit of difference. Korean and Japanese aren't the same at all, that's like saying Mexicans and Brazilians are the same. It's the same as a white guy doing it so if the he was picked for "the optics" then it's a terrible decision.

He's also an internet outage merchant who has made money from talking shit about drama in the gaming community for a decade - now he's being attacked by the very toxicity he helped propagate. Him complaining feels very r/leopardsatemyface to me.

Doesn't affect me since I play 100% in Japanese at the end of the day anyway, I just worry this clown is going to be so bad he'll set back the series growth.

I played Kiwami 2 over the past few weeks, and got the platinum three days ago. I think 0 is still my favorite so far, but I really enjoyed this game and Ryuji was a great antagonist.

It took a little over 78 hours for the platinum which basically matches the estimates I've seen. I didn't think I would actually 100% one of these games after giving up on the plat for Yakuza 0 despite enjoying the game a lot, and even with this game being shorter to complete than the former, some of the requirements were truly nightmarish. Golf, Haruka's poker request, Mahjong...there were multiple points where I considered just giving up on the platinum, but overall it wasn't that bad. The only thing I have left to do is the final side mission in the Clan Creator minigame, but I really don't think I can be bothered. I wasn't a big fan of the Clan Creator minigame, but I did get a kick out of the "We Build Shit!" text on the recruitment poster. I saved Majima Saga until the very end as a little extra motivation to keep going. It was pretty throwaway, but I loved seeing Majima meet Makoto again.

Cabaret Club really makes me wish I had finished that minigame in 0 seeing how pretty much everyone of note returns in that story, but I was feeling pretty burned out on the game after putting around 70 hours into it, and never ended up going back to finish the little I had left of it. Kirara and Yuki's substories were a lot of fun. The substories were (for the most part) a lot of fun like usual, one of my favorites in this game being the one with the fake Kiryu.

Another reason I didn't think I would ever platinum one of these games is because I've never been great at the combat, and replaying the game on the hardest difficulty is usually a requirement. I never used the broken weapons in Kiwami or 0 (assuming they have them too), so I was surprised to have an easier time playing on Legend than my initial playthrough on Normal lol.

I'm looking forward to getting around to more of the series, but it probably won't be for at least a few months.

hey so I made these

Kiryu.png

Majima1.png

I played some Kiwami 2 again after abandoning it like two years ago after forgetting to save and getting mad at it. I had completely lost the save since I didn't move my saves between PS4/5, but have now made it back to where I was in chapter 6.

(GOG releases)

HOW

my first thought was if SEGA would ever bother trying to get the Judgement games on there later.
not the Judgment series (yet), but 7/Like a Dragon just got added. Meaning GOG is now fully caught up in terms of the mainline entries.

i get the feeling Ishin is probably next, with the Judgment games/Gaiden & 8 coming a few years after release. if at all.

For those interested by a physical edition of Like a Dragon Gaiden, it’s now available on Play-Asia for a very decent price. It’s not confirmed but apparently it will have English subtitles on the Japanese version, like it was the case with Ishin.

The only downside is obviously that you will have to wait two to three weeks after release to be able to play the game.

anyone watch that overview thing they put up this morning??

those live-action hostesses are uhhh.... hmmm...

certainly not the choice I would have made haha

anyone watch that overview thing they put up this morning??

those live-action hostesses are uhhh.... hmmm...

certainly not the choice I would have made haha
Just caught up with that, and yeah, another Yakuza mini game I won’t be able to launch when my wife’s at home. But as much as I think it’s not the best decision, at least it’s not a copy-paste of the Yakuza 0 minigame 😅

Game looks damn beautiful though!

Just bought Like a Dragon: Ishin on sale.
Couldn't resist some more bonkers Yakuza like action.
Finishing it and other stuff before Kiryu-Chan's next adventure in November will be tough.

Last edited:

There’s the trailer for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet. Unsurprisingly, Gaiden seems to be a pretty emotional story. Looks awesome so far, love the new characters that we’ve seen.

Also, it’s now officially confirmed that the arena is a legit brawling arena, so Saejima/Majima/Daigo are playable characters. Great sign for more Gaiden games in the future.

Agent Style looks like a lot of fun :D

Live-action hostesses... is certainly a choice. Nice that a lot of other mini games are back though.

that shot revealing the SG-1000 version of Flicky will be playable in this is truly a Goldeneye moment.

SEGA very rarely re-releases games from that system unlike with the Master System and Genesis.

the last time they've done so was the inclusion of Girl's Garden (notable for being the first game created by future Sonic creator Yuji Naka) in the 3DS SEGA Fukkoku Archives collection.

Watched the trailer a couple more times, think I’ve kinda pulled together a general synopsis of sorts based on what we’ve seen.

• Game opens with Kiryu being sent to help with the smuggling operation, which the Omi (lead by Shishido) crash
  • The Omi then target Kiryu to try and get him to help, most likely why Hanawa was kidnapped
  • Both Yoshimura of the Daidoji and Tsuruno of the Omi blackmail Kiryu using the orphanage, the former trying to abandon Hanawa and the latter trying to get Kiryu’s help with the upcoming Omi dissolution, and Kiryu seemingly goes with the Omi
  • Encountering Akame and Nishitani III, along with going to Sotenbori in general, is probably what happens as a result of this
  • Kiryu helps out with the Omi dissolution, which we also see from Ichi’s perspective in Like a Dragon. Given that Shishido isn’t present, and appears to have a fairly emotional encounter with Kiryu later, I’m guessing he’s an antihero/sympathetic antagonist of some sort, whereas Tsuruno is more of an ally/supporting character
  • At some point, Hanawa either escapes or is freed by the Omi, and is seemingly forced to punish Kiryu for something (potentially for helping out the Omi). Given that the two appear to be on good terms by the end of the trailer (which I’m assuming is the end of the game given the reference to Hawaii), he must likely relents and helps Kiryu out, potentially as a Sagawa type of character
  • My guess is the Daidoji side will end up as the primary antagonist, Yoshimura in particular strikes me as a lategame boss
  • Nishitani III is the hardest to place, considering we don’t see him at the big meeting in Like a Dragon where the Tokyo Omi was founded by Sawashiro/Ishioda/Tendo. Wouldn’t surprise me if he tries to take over at some point after and ends up as an antagonist, or if he’s an ally instead. As I said, hard to place his allegiance.

Hey there Like a Dragon Fami

I was there yesterday

pXt97fJ.jpg

It was cool to see it in real life. Really felt familiar, even though I only played through a altered digital version of it. Although I have to say, as Tokyo is super clean… this part of Shinjuku was easily trashy. I walked towards the gate and I already had dudes trying to ask me something or the odd girl waving at me.

Sorry, Kiryu-chan taught me well.

I was there yesterday

pXt97fJ.jpg

It was cool to see it in real life. Really felt familiar, even though I only played through a altered digital version of it. Although I have to say, as Tokyo is super clean… this part of Shinjuku was easily trashy. I walked towards the gate and I already had dudes trying to ask me something or the odd girl waving at me.

I hope you managed to dodge Mr Shakedown!

I was there yesterday

pXt97fJ.jpg

Hope you are having an awesome trip. The sign was BLUE when I last visited in April...I was disappointed I couldn't take a photo with the iconic red haha.

I was there yesterday

pXt97fJ.jpg

Sounds like some substories were about to happen lol.

Back
Top Bottom