• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic YAKUZA / LIKE A DRAGON COMMUNITY |ST| A FAMIBOARDS CLAN SUBSIDIARY

Disappointing that 8 is turn based, but glad they're giving lots of spinoff to us
Kiryu looks under cover, very funny. I will probably only play Gaiden since the RPG style isn't very fun.

edit: don't like seeing Kenny omega at all, that guy sucks. keep him far away

Last edited:
Extremely disappointed they're bringing Kiryu back. I loved Ichiban's group and so did a lot of people, bringing Kiryu back evaporates the whole thing about passing the torch in LaD. Also regular reminder that almost every time a marketer says "this entry in a long-running series is perfectly fine for newcomers!," and the series in question is not a pure anthology with clean breaks every game a la Final Fantasy, it is a bald-faced lie

Edit: I’m just saying if their goal was to make the series less intimidating by dropping the 7 last time, adding back an 8 and changing the name entirely is a bad idea.

I think the intention was to make the titles match the japanese titles 1:1 to avoid confusion like the example you said. Dropping the 8 would just cause more confusion.

Besides, "Yakuza" doesn't really work as a title for some of the spin offs, and that would become more and more of a problem as the franchise expanded.

I think the intention was to make the titles match the japanese titles 1:1 to avoid confusion like the example you said. Dropping the 8 would just cause more confusion.

Besides, "Yakuza" doesn't really work as a title for some of the spin offs, and that would become more and more of a problem as the franchise expanded.
imo they should've just called it Like a Dragon 2 in the West, but I can see why they did it. Everyone I've seen commonly refers to Y: Like a Dragon as Yakuza 7 anyways

Btw how does Kiryu manage to get hotter with each redesign jesus

We have Kiryu, 80's Kiryu, Meiji Era Kiryu and now Grey Haired Kiryu and they're all daddies

Btw how does Kiryu manage to get hotter with each redesign jesus

We have Kiryu, 80's Kiryu, Meiji Era Kiryu and now Grey Haired Kiryu and they're all daddies
I think this new one is pretty goofy but I assume it temporary/a joke with him hiding who he is

Bringing back an old protagonist after they've been retired is always a red flag, but at least they're emphasizing Ichiban's just as important to 8 as Kiryu is. Hope they stick with that and don't Apollo Justice Ichiban.

Did I hear right during the stream that LAD: Gaiden is supposed to take place between both 6/7 and 7/8, btw?

It's strange to see the series not have Yakuza in the title anymore, especially since they're bringing back the numbering. Guess they had to number it with Kiryu back.

the rpg style is gonna get old fast, so I'm hoping this game is them finishing up ichiban's story and prepping so we can get more Kiryu stuff in the future. at the very least regular "side" games with Kiryu alongside the rpg games would be nice.

Bringing back an old protagonist after they've been retired is always a red flag, but at least they're emphasizing Ichiban's just as important to 8 as Kiryu is. Hope they stick with that and don't Apollo Justice Ichiban.

Did I hear right during the stream that LAD: Gaiden is supposed to take place between both 6/7 and 7/8, btw?
Just 6 and 7 I think

Even though it’s a dual protagonist, I’d bet good money that Ichiban is still the focus. Similar deal to Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice, where Phoenix got all the marketing buzz but Apollo was clearly the true protagonist.

Really cool to see a new action Kiryu game though, can’t wait to see how they setup LAD8 (fuck that title by the way).

Yeah the more I think about this the less I like it. Bringing Kiryu back cheapens what they were going for with 6 (you can argue his cameo in LAD already does that but you can also dismiss that as quick fan service), in this case you get a whole game with him. But what really sticks out to me is that they’re going and sticking kiryu in the turn based rpg system and that to me feels like they don’t have the understanding of the subject material they should, the turn based battle system isn’t just “a thing”, Like A Dragon specifically contextualizes it as something unique to Ichiban because he’s a fucking dork. It’s not something Kiryu would ever do or go for. The turn based system is a mechanical/narrative storytelling technique that specifically works for Ichiban because he is who he is. So on a narrative AND mechanical level I’m skeptical.

Yeah the more I think about this the less I like it. Bringing Kiryu back cheapens what they were going for with 6 (you can argue his cameo in LAD already does that but you can also dismiss that as quick fan service), in this case you get a whole game with him. But what really sticks out to me is that they’re going and sticking kiryu in the turn based rpg system and that to me feels like they don’t have the understanding of the subject material they should, the turn based battle system isn’t just “a thing”, Like A Dragon specifically contextualizes it as something unique to Ichiban because he’s a fucking dork. It’s not something Kiryu would ever do or go for. The turn based system is a mechanical/narrative storytelling technique that specifically works for Ichiban because he is who he is. So on a narrative AND mechanical level I’m skeptical.
] don't think his cameo in LaD hurts it at all. It doesn't magically undo him being quite literally dead to the world and his family, nor is he any kind of focus. It's just some scenes for him to pass the torch to Ichiban. Having him return in a playable capacity, especially in a system he doesn't fit in, DOES cheapen 6's ending a lot though. I saw speculation that "Kiryu" in 8 might actually be Mirror Face and I really hope that's the case.

] don't think his cameo in LaD hurts it at all. It doesn't magically undo him being quite literally dead to the world and his family, nor is he any kind of focus. It's just some scenes for him to pass the torch to Ichiban. Having him return in a playable capacity, especially in a system he doesn't fit in, DOES cheapen 6's ending a lot though. I saw speculation that "Kiryu" in 8 might actually be Mirror Face and I really hope that's the case.
I agree with what you say, I’m just saying I have heard that argument being made so I wanted to preempt it beforehand lol

Now that theory sounds cool and I do hope that’s what it turns out to be, especially with the visual differences…

Ichi was never going to be long term protagonist imo. Compare to Goku and Gohan. "Loser becomes somebody worth cheering for" is an amazing arc, but then you either need to have them complete the arc (at which point they're just a worse version of the previous protagonist) or they just keep regressing to a loser over and over, which is pathetic. This is a good game for Ichi to inspire Kiryu to take the mantle back up.

I think this is it lol
hmm no, pretty sure this is about the yakuza series but it’s ok, maybe there’s some overlap between the audiences so I’ll ask here:

• I know you don’t need to play Kenzan first before Ishin but are there other connections to the mainline series aside from character likenesses?
  • Does Ishin differ from mainline Like a Dragon games in structure or is it still an open-ish world?

Ichi was never going to be long term protagonist imo. Compare to Goku and Gohan. "Loser becomes somebody worth cheering for" is an amazing arc, but then you either need to have them complete the arc (at which point they're just a worse version of the previous protagonist) or they just keep regressing to a loser over and over, which is pathetic. This is a good game for Ichi to inspire Kiryu to take the mantle back up.
Ichiban will still be the major character, he isn’t going anywhere. At best, they continue with the dual protagonists, but Kiryu won’t retake the stage as the solo lead for the franchise.

Ichiban will still be the major character, he isn’t going anywhere. At best, they continue with the dual protagonists, but Kiryu won’t retake the stage as the solo lead for the franchise.
I doubt it. Kiryu has 2.5 new games Ichi has 0.5, the trend is clear. And that's good imo

I know you don’t need to play Kenzan first before Ishin but are there other connections to the mainline series aside from character likenesses?
Not at all, but if you’re willing to do a bit of work your enjoyment of the game can be improved if you know a bit about the history of the Shinsengumi during the Bakumatsu era
Does Ishin differ from mainline Like a Dragon games in structure or is it still an open-ish world?
The structure is quite similar to the mainline Yakuza Like a Dragon games, but the city is not very big, I’d say a bit smaller than Sotenbori

Ishin isn’t a Kiryu game nor is it a new game. That just leaves Gaiden and 8, and Gaiden is pretty clearly a setup title.

Ichiban is still the lead.
If we get a samurai style game that's a turn based RPG I'll change my mind. 8 either has Kiryu die or its setting up him to return.

kinda annoyed with them putting a game in a different genre in between the story of the two ichiban games like that

there's a reason I never played any other Yakuza games after I played 0 until 7 came out even though I enjoyed 0, I don't really like the genre

hi fam I am awake, I’ve watched all the trailers and let me just say

we are absolutely feasting

Omg

Omg

Omg

Ishin, Gaiden en 8; take me y money

Kiryu with the haircut though

It only just now hit me that we’re almost certainly gonna see Kurlyo return in Gaiden and 8 as a voice actor. I absolutely cannot believe that we’re gonna get another game with him as the lead, let alone two of them.

Doesn’t seem like Ishin will get a dub though.

hey can I just say

real quick

like real fast

Anyone else realize they now have HD, high res face scans of the three lieutenants from Zero

And they‘ve bucked the “remake the games in release order” allowing them to remake any game in any order

fam they’re probably gonna remake Zero next aren’t they

hey can I just say

real quick

like real fast

Anyone else realize they now have HD, high res face scans of the three lieutenants from Zero

And they‘ve bucked the “remake the games in release order” allowing them to remake any game in any order

I still want a remake of Y3. It was very early PS3 graphics. It's the only main entry I have not played. I heard the story is great.

hey can I just say

real quick

like real fast

I really doubt it. Ishin is being remade for the sake of localization I'd gather, and 1 and 2 were remade because they were PS2 games. 0 has neither excuse. However, they did mention a while back that they wouldn't discount the possibility of a 0-2 happening...

I still want a remake of Y3. It was very early PS3 graphics. It's the only main entry I have not played. I heard the story is great.
So I recently replayed Y3 Remastered. I’m going to say upfront that, if you don’t know, I am an absolutely dyed-in-the-wool Yakuza Fan, one who, maybe blindly, has a allegiance to RGG Studio and will follow them to the ends of the earth.

Let me tell you about Yakuza 3: It’s complicated.

I think it’s a part of Kiryu’s saga that holds a lot of weight, and in a way acts as a bridge between the ”Kiryu Becomes a Legend” arc (Zero, 1 and 2) and the “Kiryu IS a Legend and maybe you spend a lot of time NOT being Kiryu” arc of 4 and 5. I think there are narrative elements of 3 that are absolutely integral to the overall story of Kazuma Kiryu that you should know going into 4.

It’s too bad that Yakuza 3 has severe narrative issues that a Kiwami remake could not fix.

I could talk about how bad the gameplay is. I recently replayed it on Easy just so my girlfriend can say she’s seen it, and even on Easy every enemy is a damage sponge who will block almost all of the time, turning every battle from “Kiryu vs. Enemy” to “Me vs. Thumb Fatigue and Controller Battery.” But this could get polished up and made infinitely better in a Kiwami Remake.

What a Kiwami Remake of 3 can’t accomplish is massively rewriting and re-structuring the narrative to not be a pacing nightmare. I don’t want to get into a lot of specifics here because, hey, maybe you do wanna see the game for yourself, but it has huge problems. Things of almost no significance are given the same weight as government-shattering, global political events. It’s like if the weakest, most forgettable substories in any other Yakuza game were suddenly forced upon you between huge narrative moments, with no way to skip them. I don’t think this is inherently a bad idea: I think this style of juxtaposition can put a character’s internal priorities into perspective. That is, I think, what they were going for with this one and it was not executed well. It just frustrates the player and makes the big stuff feel inconsequential.

This is on-top of another huge pacing issue: the game’s narrative is extremely back-heavy. I don’t believe this constitutes a spoiler, but the narrative as it currently exists builds a few too many questions over almost 3/4s of the game, dumps all of the answers on you at once in, if you don’t understand spoken Japanese, a novel-length infodump of text over still images for what I believe takes over an hour (it certainly felt that long) and then you still have a few chapters of game to resolve everything. It comes off as the writers of the game having moments they wanted to include, but not being sure how to string them together into a cohesive story.

These narrative issues are compounded by the fact that, while the overall plot structure is a mess, the writing itself is very strong. The characters are wildly endearing (surprise surprise for this studio) and you want to spend time with them. But the story feels like it’s actively working against the strong character writing. You want to spend time with the characters, but not for this long, and not in this order.

For Yakuza 3 to truly have a “definitive version” they would really need to sit down and rethink how the narrative should work. I think this would constitute a massive re-write, to the point where it wouldn’t be a “remake” anymore, it’d be almost a replacement for what exists, and frankly I don’t think the studio wants to spend a game’s development time “fixing“ a 15 year old “mistake.”

I think Yakuza 3 is a game that is what it is. I think, if you’re gonna skip one game in this series, it should be this one. There was a handy 30 minute video included in the PS3 release of Yakuza 4 that recapped the story that I think is an adequate “replacement” for suffering through the game. It wasn’t included in the Remastered collection, but you can find it on Youtube easily enough. I won’t say “don’t play it,” it still has a significant chapter of Kiryu’s story that you should be made aware of. But know that you could NOT play it and, as long as you get caught up on the major story beats, you’ll be okay to continue onwards without needing to truly take the whole game in.

Well, I certainly didn't expect to wake up to all this goodness, earlier this morning. I was among those disappointed by yesterday's Direct, but it's a mere distant memory to me, now that RGG Studio has brought the heat.
  • After years of repeated fan requests, we're finally seeing Ishin not only localized, but remade. Yes! On top of that, Hitoshi Ozawa (Kuze), Riki Takeuchi (Awano), and Hideo Nakano (Shibusawa) returning to the franchise for roles in Ishin is extremely exciting. I still maintain that Yakuza 0 is the best in the series, and I'm glad the Dojima lieutenants will again have their chance to shine.
  • Kiryu is back. Actually back, not just as a cameo. Like others, I'm conflicted on this. All that stuff said about how Yakuza 6 would be the final game in his saga, only for them to not only give him his own, post-6 side story game, but also feature him as a protagonist in 8, alongside Ichiban. Am I excited? Absolutely. Does it feel cheap, regardless? Yeah...
  • Judgment and Lost Judgment ported to PC. I seem to remember hearing this would never happen, due to legal issues between Sega, and Takuya Kimura's management agency, but I'm glad they seem to have worked something out.

This is so perfect and it should absolutely be the new thread title !
I poked fellow mods and I think the consensus was “YAKUZA / LIKE A DRAGON COMMUNITY |ST| A FAMIBOARDS CLAN SUBSIDIARY“ should be it, to include both the old and new series name. How’s that sound?

hey can I just say

real quick

like real fast

We also now have HD scans of Mine, Aizawa, and Morinaga, so I don’t think it’s particularly indicative of anything. We’ll get a remaster/remake of Yakuza 0 eventually, but I don’t think it’s imminent.

With this thread as my witness…

If we don’t have any of this series announced for Nintendo hardware by end of 2023, then I’m finally playing Y0 on my PC in 2024

Thinking about it, I really hope that the Gaiden spin-off will mark the return of
Akiyama. We see at the end of 6 that he understands that Kiryu is not dead, and I’ve always loved the dynamics between the two of them, the kind of laid-back respect they have for each other.

I poked fellow mods and I think the consensus was “YAKUZA / LIKE A DRAGON COMMUNITY |ST| A FAMIBOARDS CLAN SUBSIDIARY“ should be it, to include both the old and new series name. How’s that sound?
Sounds good to me !

So I recently replayed Y3 Remastered. I’m going to say upfront that, if you don’t know, I am an absolutely dyed-in-the-wool Yakuza Fan, one who, maybe blindly, has a allegiance to RGG Studio and will follow them to the ends of the earth.

Let me tell you about Yakuza 3: It’s complicated.

I think it’s a part of Kiryu’s saga that holds a lot of weight, and in a way acts as a bridge between the ”Kiryu Becomes a Legend” arc (Zero, 1 and 2) and the “Kiryu IS a Legend and maybe you spend a lot of time NOT being Kiryu” arc of 4 and 5. I think there are narrative elements of 3 that are absolutely integral to the overall story of Kazuma Kiryu that you should know going into 4.

It’s too bad that Yakuza 3 has severe narrative issues that a Kiwami remake could not fix.

I could talk about how bad the gameplay is. I recently replayed it on Easy just so my girlfriend can say she’s seen it, and even on Easy every enemy is a damage sponge who will block almost all of the time, turning every battle from “Kiryu vs. Enemy” to “Me vs. Thumb Fatigue and Controller Battery.” But this could get polished up and made infinitely better in a Kiwami Remake.

What a Kiwami Remake of 3 can’t accomplish is massively rewriting and re-structuring the narrative to not be a pacing nightmare. I don’t want to get into a lot of specifics here because, hey, maybe you do wanna see the game for yourself, but it has huge problems. Things of almost no significance are given the same weight as government-shattering, global political events. It’s like if the weakest, most forgettable substories in any other Yakuza game were suddenly forced upon you between huge narrative moments, with no way to skip them. I don’t think this is inherently a bad idea: I think this style of juxtaposition can put a character’s internal priorities into perspective. That is, I think, what they were going for with this one and it was not executed well. It just frustrates the player and makes the big stuff feel inconsequential.

This is on-top of another huge pacing issue: the game’s narrative is extremely back-heavy. I don’t believe this constitutes a spoiler, but the narrative as it currently exists builds a few too many questions over almost 3/4s of the game, dumps all of the answers on you at once in, if you don’t understand spoken Japanese, a novel-length infodump of text over still images for what I believe takes over an hour (it certainly felt that long) and then you still have a few chapters of game to resolve everything. It comes off as the writers of the game having moments they wanted to include, but not being sure how to string them together into a cohesive story.

These narrative issues are compounded by the fact that, while the overall plot structure is a mess, the writing itself is very strong. The characters are wildly endearing (surprise surprise for this studio) and you want to spend time with them. But the story feels like it’s actively working against the strong character writing. You want to spend time with the characters, but not for this long, and not in this order.

For Yakuza 3 to truly have a “definitive version” they would really need to sit down and rethink how the narrative should work. I think this would constitute a massive re-write, to the point where it wouldn’t be a “remake” anymore, it’d be almost a replacement for what exists, and frankly I don’t think the studio wants to spend a game’s development time “fixing“ a 15 year old “mistake.”

I think Yakuza 3 is a game that is what it is. I think, if you’re gonna skip one game in this series, it should be this one. There was a handy 30 minute video included in the PS3 release of Yakuza 4 that recapped the story that I think is an adequate “replacement” for suffering through the game. It wasn’t included in the Remastered collection, but you can find it on Youtube easily enough. I won’t say “don’t play it,” it still has a significant chapter of Kiryu’s story that you should be made aware of. But know that you could NOT play it and, as long as you get caught up on the major story beats, you’ll be okay to continue onwards without needing to truly take the whole game in.
Wow! Thanks for all the info. This has been very helpful. So far skipping it has not caused me to feel left out or lost with the other entries. I'm going to prob check out that Recap video you mentioned instead.

Thinking about it, I really hope that the Gaiden spin-off will mark the return of
Akiyama. We see at the end of 6 that he understands that Kiryu is not dead, and I’ve always loved the dynamics between the two of them, the kind of laid-back respect they have for each other.

Sounds good to me !
Plus Akiyama is awesome! I’m kind of curious if Haruka will show up in some capacity. While I understand some people think it’s cheap for Kiryu to return after seemingly closing the chapter on his tenure in the series, I still kind of hope Kiryu gets a happy ending.

I think Haruka would rather have Kiryu in her life

Back
Top Bottom