• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way her hears move is precious

(the "moe" to "welsh" localization is such a big upgrade)

looks better animated than previous games and with a more pleasant-looking cell-shading effect
I'm still on the fence about camera movement for the cut scenes: they improved a lot from Xeno1 to Xeno2, let's hope to see another jump in quality there

second tier cutscenes seems to have gotten an improvement. The characters are more animated when speaking + hair physics.

Wow, that is a big upgrade in terms of animation in non major cutscenes. And those hair physics too lol!

On a separate note, I'm really curious how this game will look in handheld mode. I'm really hoping they improve IQ but my hopes are not very high.

Nintendo, don't stop with the XC3 posts on your western social media channels.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised at how long they've gone without doing any after being so on top of that. I'd personally like to hear these cutscenes in English!

Even the less-priority cutscenes seem to have lip-syncing in Japanese and it looks really smooth. I hope they had the chance to also lip-sync the English dub.

Mio: "I'm fast as fuck boyyyyy, also I'm writing my memories 'cause I'm dying soon"

So.... She uses her radical good speed to go as fast as possible to shave off precious seconds anywhere she can to stockpile as precious more moments of life.

Right on.

So.... She uses her radical good speed to go as fast as possible to shave off precious seconds anywhere she can to stockpile as precious more moments of life.

Right on.
Mio right now

eigjgb1e9g841.jpg

Ok, a lot of info about classes. Not too much we didn't already know or couldn't guess, but we do get some additional concrete details

The number of arts per class is 5, in line with XC2's weapons. Not too weird, considering how the art palette is laid out here

Something fairly confusing: In the menu, we can see that the third left-hand side art slot is unlocked at lvl 40. That's pretty late, but in line with the footage we've seen so far...Except in the very next clip, we see Noah at lvl 22 with the third left-hand side art slot unlocked. Is this just dev shenanigans? Or does the level in the menu refer to class level instead of character level?

There's no indication of whether or not we'll get any other bonuses from mastering classes other than arts. I'd imagine we would, since that's typically how these sytems work, but I would like some confirmation on that.

Edit: Hmm, the subtitles under each character when talking about starter classes refer to all those classes as "X's early class". Could just be translation wonkiness and instead mean "starter class", but I wonder if that's implying every character will receive at least one additional class (besides Heroes and whatever "outside" method we have of gaining classes). Oh, also canceling attacks fills the chain attack meter. Neat

Now that was a meaty blog update! Looking at the stats, strength and ether are no longer separate stats. You just have one attack stat and a new healing stat. The defenses are percentages again like 2.

Also Noah's fifth art is Shadow Eye. Looks like we're getting the non-damaging utility arts after all. I'm a happy camper!

It seems cancel attacks are primarily for filling party gauge.

edit: And Noah has a different talent art in the second art equip menu screenshot.
edit 2: Shadow Eye even appears to buff your strength in addition to lowering aggro just like the original Shadow Eye. I know this seems like a really weird thing to get excited about, but I just like interesting non-damage abilities.
edit 3: Noah's second talent art is the same one he has while playing as a Crusher in the trailer when they fight the face mechon boss with Valdi. Can you take talent arts from different classes?!

also from what I can tell, the info to the right of the arts list reads in order: category, range, damage ratio, gauge recovery, buff/debuff, reaction.

Still no fond of the origin-based recharge method. It's another complication on top an already layered cake
I think this was largely done to balance fusion arts. But in general, having three arts that you can recharge quickly with stutter-stepping and three cooldown arts will help create a good sense of rhythm in combat. I'm very much in favor of what they're doing here.

Last edited:
Ethel's weapons remind of those dueling styles where a short sword was used to parry attacks and a longer one to counter. I'm expecting her class to be a defender with an emphasis on countering attacks at the right time. Or another evasion tank if they want to be more boring about it.

God damn, I can't explain how excited seeing that menu made me lol.

Menu design and aesthetic is pretty important to me and they're really going for a night-mode look with a lot of this, and it's beautiful.

I was not loving the UI at first when we saw the hot orange battle UI and the orange map screen, but this new menu shot has turned me around. It's so slick. The color scheme they're going for definitely works better when the red/orange is the secondary color and the purplish-blue is used as the main one.

I don't see any prompt for upgrading arts in this menu. I wonder if it's only done at campsites and that's what the dumbell is for.

Something fairly confusing: In the menu, we can see that the third left-hand side art slot is unlocked at lvl 40. That's pretty late, but in line with the footage we've seen so far...Except in the very next clip, we see Noah at lvl 22 with the third left-hand side art slot unlocked. Is this just dev shenanigans? Or does the level in the menu refer to class level instead of character level?
I think class levels may only go up to rank 15 as that's when you get the fifth art for that class. It's possible what we're seeing here is proof of something like expert mode where you can de-level characters. The monsters they're fighting are level 36 which is closer to 40 than 22.

So based on the confirmations of Ethel's class and Yumsmith being obtainable by the main party, let's take stock of what classes we have so far

Starter 6:
Swordfighter - Keves, Attacker
Heavy Guard - Keves, Defender
Medic Gunner - Keves, Healer
Zephyr - Agnus, Defender
Crusher - Agnus, Attacker
Tactician - Agnus, Healer

Heroes:
Yumsmith - possibly Keves since we saw it as a Crusher left-side art, Attacker
Zeon's Class (Sword and Shield) - probably Keves since he's a High Entia, Defender
Valdi's Class (Ether Cannon/Gun) - probably Keves since she's a Machina, Healer
GGG (Green Gormotti Girl) (Bow) - probably Agnus since she's Gormotti (speculated), Unknown, maybe Attacker? I can't see it being Defender, and we have Flagspearperson as the likely Agnus Hero Healer. But could be a second Agnus Hero Healer
Unnamed Agnus Flagpearperson (Spear/Flag) - probably Agnus from color scheme, Most likely Healer due to the Flag part of the weapon

Antagonist/Possibly Heroes or some other mechanic we haven't learned:
Ethel (Dual Swords) - Keves, Unknown, my guess is Defender
Cammuravi (Lance) - Agnus (speculated), Unknown, my guess is Attacker
Isurd (Ring Gun Cross Thingie) - Agnus (speculated), Unknown, my guess is Healer

So we currently have a total of 14 "known" classes, 7 from Keves and 7 from Agnus. We'd presumably have an even number of classes so we have an even Keves/Agnus split, and I'd also imagine the classes would be evenly split between roles, so the total number should also be divisible by three. Which, if both those assumptions are correct, would imply we have at least 18 classes (since that's the next number divisible by both 2 and 3).

I'm also starting to think we get advanced classes for the main party as well (that's what I'm starting to think the Guantlet and Sword were for Noah, sorta abandoning my hope for weapon swapping at this point) so we might even get all the way up to 24.

Edit: Added Unnamed Agnus Spearperson mentioned below

Edit2: Realized Spearperson was in fact Flagspearperson

Last edited:
Yeah, it'd make sense for each character to have an advanced version of their class. I'm also wondering if Yumsmith might be unique in that it's a Agnus/Keves mixed class with both art types. That would even out the number of classes between nations to 6.5 from Agnus and 6.5 from Keves. It'd also make sense from a character perspective since its one Keves nopon and one Agnus nopon.

Prediction: there will be a main party duo (not a hero) that joins later with their own Ouroboros form. This means they’ll be controllable like the main party. You will still be only able to have 6 party members + hero, so it gives you a choice as to what 3 duos you want on the field.

There are two very obvious duos that this could be - Ethel and Cammuravi or Nia and Melia. But it could be someone else.

I’m guessing “heroes” aren’t THAT important of characters, just people you meet in your adventure. I think the four mentioned above are extremely important to the story, and if it comes time for them to join the party, it will be as main members.

I am just now seeing the clip where Sena uses the Yumsmith art

I don't think we're getting more than 3 ouroboros forms. I think the hero party member will basically be like an extra help. Ouroboros forms seems like an important story element related to the main 6.
Also, with purple hair girl, we possibly have 7 extra party members if they're permanent. That's alot. I think if there are going to be extra story characters I think it will be Ethel, Valdi, Zeon and purple hair girl. Cammuravi and Isurd will probably not be playable. (isurd also seems to die in the second cutscene)

Prediction: there will be a main party duo (not a hero) that joins later with their own Ouroboros form. This means they’ll be controllable like the main party. You will still be only able to have 6 party members + hero, so it gives you a choice as to what 3 duos you want on the field.

There are two very obvious duos that this could be - Ethel and Cammuravi or Nia and Melia. But it could be someone else.

I’m guessing “heroes” aren’t THAT important of characters, just people you meet in your adventure. I think the four mentioned above are extremely important to the story, and if it comes time for them to join the party, it will be as main members.
Yeah if we do get additional Ouroboros pairs those are the most likely choices. Wouldn't even be that surprised if we got both duos, though at that point we're probably hitting main party member overload

I don't think we're getting more than 3 ouroboros forms. I think the hero party member will basically be like an extra help. Ouroboros forms seems like an important story element related to the main 6.
Also, with purple hair girl, we possibly have 7 extra party members if they're permanent. That's alot. I think if there are going to be extra story characters I think it will be Ethel, Valdi, Zeon and purple hair girl. Cammuravi and Isurd will probably not be playable. (isurd also seems to die in the second cutscene)
I would be absolutely flabbergasted if Ethel was playable and Cammuravi wasn't. Isurd maybe, but he's also sorta paired with those two as well so I'm expecting him to be playable for at least a bit, or at least a Hero

We're also probably getting additional Ouroburos forms anyways, even if they're just variants on the existing party's Ouroburos. As people have noted, the designs take a lot more from the Keves crew than Agnus, so it makes sense for there to be an Agnus-focused counterpart set of Ouroburoses

Edit: Also Heroes are likely not actually "playable", as in you can't control them directly.

Edit 3: I'm basically seeing the Ouroboros as following the same pattern as the protag powerups in 1 and 2. Start off with Ouroburos Form 1, the ones we've seen so far, go to Ouroburos Form 2, which will be more Agnus themed design wise, and then Ouroburos Form 3, which is more balanced design wise. Following the Monado 1-3 and Pyra->Mythra->Pnumena trajectory.

My guess is that this is what the currently empty left-side arts pallete is used for in Ouroburos form. Granted, if this theory is true, it makes it somewhat less likely we'll get a separate Ouroburos pair with three forms.

Last edited:
I actually think that's nowhere near enough if this is how we get arts/weapons/classes. Right now Xenoblade 1 has the least amount of arts with 16 across seven characters for a total of 112. Each successive game has had more arts. 6 main character classes + 7 hero classes with 5 arts each would only be 65, an incredibly small amount of arts for a Xenoblade game.

Even if we have 18 classes as NabiscoFelt speculated above, that would only be 90 arts, still less than 1. Even if you count Ouroborus arts that would only hit 105 assuming they have five each as well. At this point, I'm expecting quite a few, not as many as rare blades but maybe half that. I don't think most will show up in cutscenes. They'll be there when you first get them but then only appear in their own affinity quests afterward. A lot will probably only appear in sidequests. I don't really want this but I'm even expecting some new take on merc missions for these heroes. I also think characters from previous games will be DLC heroes and will have Monado and Aegis Sword wielding classes in the inevitable expansion pass.

I actually think that's nowhere near enough if this is how we get arts/weapons/classes. Right now Xenoblade 1 has the least amount of arts with 16 across seven characters for a total of 112. Each successive game has had more arts. 6 main character classes + 7 hero classes with 5 arts each would only be 65, an incredibly small amount of arts for a Xenoblade game.

Even if we have 18 classes as NabiscoFelt speculated above, that would only be 90 arts, still less than 1. Even if you count Ouroborus arts that would only hit 105 assuming they have five each as well. At this point, I'm expecting quite a few, not as many as rare blades but maybe half that. I don't think most will show up in cutscenes. They'll be there when you first get them but then only appear in their own affinity quests afterward. A lot will probably only appear in sidequests. I don't really want this but I'm even expecting some new take on merc missions for these heroes. I also think characters from previous games will be DLC heroes and will have Monado and Aegis Sword wielding classes in the inevitable expansion pass.
Hm, good note on the total art numbers. 24 might actually be a better baseline guess then, giving us 120 arts total, putting us at least above XC1s total count. But who knows, we may even get past that number, there seem to be a lot of these Hero fellas and I doubt they'd show off all of them this early.

I mean I think doing art counting with Xenoblade 3 specifically is a bit reductive since there's also fusion arts, which functionally lead to every art combination counting as a new art.

I mean I think doing art counting with Xenoblade 3 specifically is a bit reductive since there's also fusion arts, which functionally lead to every art combination counting as a new art.
Yeah we don't really have a good enough handle on how Arts Fusion will work and if it provides enough bonuses to even use instead of just using both arts one after the other. That's definitely one of the things I'm most curious about. Do we have any idea of what benefits the Fusion Arts we've seen so far have provided?

Yea, I think that's overselling the fusion mechanic. It's a neat thing to have but doesn't seem to have much practical use a majority of the time. The only real reason to use fusion arts would presumably be to get single target debuffs on aoe attacks like fusing hidden torn (bleed) with ground beat (aoe), though we haven't actually seen that.

Fusion would make more sense if there was a matter of opportunity cost like some FF14 thing where you have a two second global cooldown between art uses. But here it's probably better to rapidly cancel arts into each other for party gauge gain.

In the clip for fusion they posted, Noah fuses air slash with an art that heals the party on attack. Air Slash does 2789 damage, the second hit from the left side art does 624 and the party is healed for a measly 54 HP - about 8% of the second hit and 2% of the first hit. It's presumably scaling with the second hit which is the hit of the art the effect comes from rather than the first. It'd be cool if fusion made the effect scale with the larger hit. But as it stands fusion just doesn't have many uses. Hopefully there's something we're missing here.

Also in the clip, Noah's bottom left art is a new field effect. I don't know what the kanji says but it's not the attack, evasion, or defense field effects we've seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom