• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
mQQzAGD.jpg
Do you have an actual response to what I wrote because this is kinda hard to parse and contributes nothing to the conversation (I hate responses like this). I'd like to elaborate by saying that I don't necessarily think fusion arts should be considered as unique arts. My point is just that art counting is reductive in XC3's case because the actual variety will be noticeably higher than just counting arts indicates,
Yeah we don't really have a good enough handle on how Arts Fusion will work and if it provides enough bonuses to even use instead of just using both arts one after the other. That's definitely one of the things I'm most curious about. Do we have any idea of what benefits the Fusion Arts we've seen so far have provided?
Yea, I think that's overselling the fusion mechanic. It's a neat thing to have but doesn't seem to have much practical use a majority of the time. The only real reason to use fusion arts would presumably be to get single target debuffs on aoe attacks like fusing hidden torn (bleed) with ground beat (aoe), though we haven't actually seen that.

Fusion would make more sense if there was a matter of opportunity cost like some FF14 thing where you have a two second global cooldown between art uses. But here it's probably better to rapidly cancel arts into each other for party gauge gain.

In the clip for fusion they posted, Noah fuses air slash with an art that heals the party on attack. Air Slash does 2789 damage, the second hit from the left side art does 624 and the party is healed for a measly 54 HP - about 8% of the second hit and 2% of the first hit. It's presumably scaling with the second hit which is the hit of the art the effect comes from rather than the second. It'd be cool if fusion made the effect scale with the larger hit. But as it stands fusion just doesn't have many uses. Hopefully there's something we're missing here.

Also in the clip, Noah's bottom left art is a new field effect. I don't know what the kanji says but it's not the attack, evasion, or defense field effects we've seen before.
These responses meanwhile are actually substantive and I'm inclined to agree with them. I haven't really scrutinized the damage boost fusions provide and didn't know (per EtherPenguin) that they don't provide much bonus. I'll keep an eye out on fusion arts in the future as we get more info. I'm really hopeful that fusion arts are actually worthwhile becuase I love the concept, but Monolith has botched similarly interesting mechanics in the past.

Do you have an actual response to what I wrote because this is kinda hard to parse and contributes nothing to the conversation (I hate responses like this).
ZNO0ylu.jpg

I'd like to elaborate by saying that I don't necessarily think fusion arts should be considered as unique arts. My point is just that art counting is reductive in XC3's case because the actual variety will be noticeably higher than just counting arts indicates,

These responses meanwhile are actually substantive and I'm inclined to agree with them. I haven't really scrutinized the damage boost fusions provide and didn't know (per EtherPenguin) that they don't provide much bonus. I'll keep an eye out on fusion arts in the future as we get more info. I'm really hopeful that fusion arts are actually worthwhile becuase I love the concept, but Monolith has botched similarly interesting mechanics in the past.
While it's true there's still a lot we don't know about arts fusion, there doesn't seem to a change the arts them-selves or any different animations triggered by combining them so far. Instead the characters perform the animation from their primary class when using them without a weapon change. They only seem to switch weapons when performing an art from a different class on its own.

The existence of fusion seem to come from Monolith wanting to balance the new class system and encouraging experimentation between Keves and Agnus classes. For instance, Keves arts seem to have more Break and Topple inflicting properties. So if you're using an Agnus class you probably want to set arts you mastered from a Keves class to inflict those during a fusion. I am curious to see if they've tied this system to the Interlink levels though, that could be where an additional reward for using these does come in.

ZNO0ylu.jpg

While it's true there's still a lot we don't know about arts fusion, there doesn't seem to a change the arts them-selves or any different animations triggered by combining them so far. Instead the characters perform the animation from their primary class when using them without a weapon change. They only seem to switch weapons when performing an art from a different class on its own.

The existence of fusion seem to come from Monolith wanting to balance the new class system and encouraging experimentation between Keves and Agnus classes. For instance, Keves arts seem to have more Break and Topple inflicting properties. So if you're using an Agnus class you probably want to set arts you mastered from a Keves class to inflict those during a fusion. I am curious to see if they've tied this system to the Interlink levels though, that could be where an additional reward for using these does come in.
Yeah I expect that balancing the two groups was their main intent. Though it also seems that just fusion was their main concept for this game (much like visions were for XC1); be it of cultures, of arts, of people, fusion is everywhere. Based on the now discredited 4chan leak, it was thought that fusion arts leveled up the interlink levels iirc; that'd be a cool way to encourage engagement with this system.

P.S. Fun is totally allowed (and it isn't my place to say whether it is or not since this isn't my thread). I just really like to avoid those terse, media-based reaction responses because its hard for me to read intent in them (I'm just really bad at reading social cues in general). In the past, I've almost always read them as more snarky and mean-spirited than they were intended, and its lead to me alienating a few potential friends and derailing conversations. Posts like the one I'm quoting or, to provide an example from my own post history, this one, are much easier for me because they provide something more substantive for me to latch on and read into (Its helps me understand what the person is really trying to say). Its give me something to structure my response around that doesn't involve abstractly (and often poorly) guessing what someone meant. If I came off too rough in my initial response I'd like to apologize. I've just been frustrated by them in the past and it drew those emotions out again when I saw your first response.

Yeah I expect that balancing the two groups was their main intent. Though it also seems that just fusion was their main concept for this game (much like visions were for XC1); be it of cultures, of arts, of people, fusion is everywhere. Based on the now discredited 4chan leak, it was thought that fusion arts leveled up the interlink levels iirc; that'd be a cool way to encourage engagement with this system.

P.S. Fun is totally allowed (and it isn't my place to say whether it is or not since this isn't my thread). I just really like to avoid those terse, media-based reaction responses because its hard for me to read intent in them (I'm just really bad at reading social cues in general). In the past, I've almost always read them as more snarky and mean-spirited than they were intended, and its lead to me alienating a few potential friends and derailing conversations. Posts like the one I'm quoting or, to provide an example from my own post history, this one, are much easier for me because they provide something more substantive for me to latch on and read into (Its helps me understand what the person is really trying to say). Its give me something to structure my response around that doesn't involve abstractly (and often poorly) guessing what someone meant. If I came off too rough in my initial response I'd like to apologize. I've just been frustrated by them in the past and it drew those emotions out again when I saw your first response.
No worries, I don't post memes too often but I thought that one would get my point across in a cheeky manner. I didn't mean to cause any frustration.

It's pretty hard to say how many classes there are in the game at this point as well, so it's fun to speculate all of this stuff while we can. It won't be long now before we find out everything.

Cancel attacks confirmed, and it seems to suggest they fill chain attack meter

Class changes can be made 'at any time'

(I'm using twitter translate, so might be slightly off with the second one)

I actually think that's nowhere near enough if this is how we get arts/weapons/classes. Right now Xenoblade 1 has the least amount of arts with 16 across seven characters for a total of 112. Each successive game has had more arts. 6 main character classes + 7 hero classes with 5 arts each would only be 65, an incredibly small amount of arts for a Xenoblade game.

Even if we have 18 classes as NabiscoFelt speculated above, that would only be 90 arts, still less than 1. Even if you count Ouroborus arts that would only hit 105 assuming they have five each as well. At this point, I'm expecting quite a few, not as many as rare blades but maybe half that. I don't think most will show up in cutscenes. They'll be there when you first get them but then only appear in their own affinity quests afterward. A lot will probably only appear in sidequests. I don't really want this but I'm even expecting some new take on merc missions for these heroes. I also think characters from previous games will be DLC heroes and will have Monado and Aegis Sword wielding classes in the inevitable expansion pass.
Good point. Maybe certain npc will be like blades but you have to do a quest before recruiting them.

Cancel attacks confirmed, and it seems to suggest they fill chain attack meter

Class changes can be made 'at any time'

(I'm using twitter translate, so might be slightly off with the second one)

At 0:19, while Sena is performing her launch art, you can see Noah in the background 'sheathing' his 'katana'

Also in the clip, Noah's bottom left art is a new field effect. I don't know what the kanji says but it's not the attack, evasion, or defense field effects we've seen before.
This one is giving me a headache as well. The name of the art translates to something like "Remain Force"

The short effect description says it's a field and then says "Arts Pursuit" (kanji is 追撃 btw). I have no idea what that means. The same kanji was used in gems like Blaze Attack (炎熱追撃) in Xenoblade 1 which added a chance of applying a type of DoT to autoattacks.

Last edited:
At 0:19, while Sena is performing her launch art, you can see Noah in the background 'sheathing' his 'katana'
Oh, interesting! Good catch!

We can see his katana weapon right before the "sheathing" animation, where it transforms back into his standard sword. We've already seen all his Swordfighter arts, I believe, so I don't think it can be one of those. Wonder what's going on there.

Edit: Actually, we can see a line of light coming from Noah's position while Sena starts doing her Talent Art. So the animation might be for Noah's second Talent Art, Infinity Blade. Though it would be kinda weird if that's all the alt weapon form amounted to

Last edited:
Hi everyone, happy to be part of the community. After watching the 2nd trailer several times, i noticed in the last scene an object behind a tree, and the party is gathering around it. Has this already beem discussed, what that might be?

Hi everyone, happy to be part of the community. After watching the 2nd trailer several times, i noticed in the last scene an object behind a tree, and the party is gathering around it. Has this already beem discussed, what that might be?

Hey, welcome!

Are they gathering around it? I thought they are just standing around Noah and Mio playing the flute.

As for what that is, maybe some robot which belongs to Vandham? It doesn't look like Keves or Agnus technology.

Hey, welcome!

Are they gathering around it? I thought they are just standing around Noah and Mio playing the flute.

As for what that is, maybe some robot which belongs to Vandham? It doesn't look like Keves or Agnus technology.
I was thinking, maybe this could be as you said some robot or craft, which could be the used for traversal like the boat we saw in the first trailer?

Welcome! The object may be Vandham's vehicle (the location is the same as where he seems to show up and where the fight with Wild Ride takes place), but maybe the party appropriates it after his likely death?

Lanz today, probably Sena for tomorrow. I'm guessing they'll leave Eunie and Taion for next week? Or maybe we'll get the entire rest of the party this week. We probably don't have that many tweets left until a Direct so they're probably running low on potential posts.

In a surprise twist, today's tweets are about Valdi! Seems like he's our weaponsmith, judging by the first tweet, which means some sort of weapon crafting mechanic is probably in (maybe nothing more than something like Core Chips in XC2), though then I wonder why that doesn't seem to be an option at camp. Valdi should join well before the camp scenes we've seen. Love the key art, the seeming intro scene where he shows up riding what looks a lot like a Face Mechon is sick too (also, does he know Manana? He seems to back down almost immediately after she talks to him, but she's an Agnian. Maybe the translation clears that up)

I wonder if all the Heroes will play some sort of support role out-of-combat like the Nopon and Valdi do. Would be funny if that one 4chan leak got that part right even though it's now completely deconfirmed

Sena surprisingly not following Lanz in the bio list, guess she leaked too much info and had to be silenced

In a surprise twist, today's tweets are about Valdi! Seems like he's our weaponsmith, judging by the first tweet, which means some sort of weapon crafting mechanic is probably in (maybe nothing more than something like Core Chips in XC2), though then I wonder why that doesn't seem to be an option at camp. Valdi should join well before the camp scenes we've seen. Love the key art, the seeming intro scene where he shows up riding what looks a lot like a Face Mechon is sick too (also, does he know Manana? He seems to back down almost immediately after she talks to him, but she's an Agnian. Maybe the translation clears that up)

I wonder if all the Heroes will play some sort of support role out-of-combat like the Nopon and Valdi do. Would be funny if that one 4chan leak got that part right even though it's now completely deconfirmed

Sena surprisingly not following Lanz in the bio list, guess she leaked too much info and had to be silenced

I think it's she instead of he. twitter translation messes up the translation sometimes (also said he instead of she for Mio)
Rough tranlation of the cutscene that I found in twitter comments

So she seems like a gullible, easy to handle character

The Japanese name is Rudy so I bet my ass he is a boy.
Looking at the cutscene again, you can kinda see a breastbump when she emerges.
Also the eyes are the type usually seen in female characters and in Saito's art for female characters.
But maybe it's an androgynous character. We won't know until we get either an english translation or a english cutscene.

Wonder what's going on with her eye here. doesn't seem like it's because of the lighting. The only time we saw the eyes glowing was during the Ouroboros transformation in the trailer.
FUobySDaAAAD92i

Valdi is a male name. And I don’t know how this confusion even come from lol 💀? I‘ve always assumed he‘s a little boy since the trailer dropped.

The VA being female makes it more obvious that he’s meant to be a young boy.

It didn't happen here but on other sites I saw people convinced he was a girl due to Deepl's translation using female pronouns. This is another good example that you shouldn't trust it blindly just because it's better than google translate. What was happening was the VA's name throwing the translator for a loop and causing it to use female pronouns even though the VA wasn't the actual subject of the sentences.

Anyway I really, really like this design. Which is unfortunately bad for me. I've already expressed I'm not the biggest fan of our new party and each design they reveal makes it worse because they are so good. Please Monolith just let me play Heroes in addition to the jacket squad. I want to play as mini Egil dammit!

His class name is "War Medic" by the way. I would also bet both of his names are based on Vivaldi. Valdi is obvious, Rudi (ルディ) comes from the Japanese pronounciation (ヴィヴァルディ, vivarudi).

Last edited:
What's wrong with the name Rudy? I don't get the whole renaming of characters. It's also annoying when playing with japanese audio and german subs.

What's wrong with the name Rudy? I don't get the whole renaming of characters. It's also annoying when playing with japanese audio and german subs.
I theorized the reason in my previous post

I would also bet both of his names are based on Vivaldi. Valdi is obvious, Rudi (ルディ) comes from the Japanese pronounciation (ヴィヴァルディ, vivarudi).

Wonder what's going on with her eye here. doesn't seem like it's because of the lighting. The only time we saw the eyes glowing was during the Ouroboros transformation in the trailer.
FUobySDaAAAD92i

There was also Ethel and Isurd’s red eyes, and I think this is something similar.

There was also Ethel and Isurd’s red eyes, and I think this is something similar.
Yes but their eye switched to an entirely different colour and made them see the group as shadows. Valdi's eye is the same colour but much brighter and doesn't seem to be entirely hostile.

Maybe it's like a weaker version of whatever is causing the red eyes or maybe it's like a tease of her future Ouroboros form (unlikely considering it would be a spoiler) or it's just an error and means nothing. who knows

Valdi's artwork looks great. Would love it if they brought back guest artists for the hero characters.

Hopefully Nintendo translates some of that combat breakdown from blog post #4 soon. Luxin's video would be nice, but at this point I'm itching for that Direct.

Yes but their eye switched to an entirely different colour and made them see the group as shadows. Valdi's eye is the same colour but much brighter and doesn't seem to be entirely hostile.

Maybe it's like a weaker version of whatever is causing the red eyes or maybe it's like a tease of her future Ouroboros form (unlikely considering it would be a spoiler) or it's just an error and means nothing. who knows

Isurd was also chatting it up with Taion despite his red eye, so I don’t think they actually make the party as unrecognizable as that one Ethel scene made it seem. Need to see more of how Valdi interacts with the characters who aren’t Nopons.

yea, I'm still not seeing it. maybe it'll be more obvious in-game. I can't not see a general eye shader effect
It's not a general eye shader effect, their eyes literally light up when activated, when they fuse into Ouroboros you can see them lit up (Keves right, Agnus left), when a chain attack is being activated you can see them lit up in their close ups (again Keves right, Agnus left), in one of today's screenshots you can see Valdi's right eye lit up, when Ethel and Isurd get their 'red eye' it’s on their right eye and left eye respectively.

It's obvious they have something in their eyes, and we know what something is because Eunie tells us it’s clocks in the first trailer (and it’s not the English figure of speech, she says the same thing in languages where said figure of speech doesn't exist, including the original Japanese)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom