• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Pre-release Discussion Thread (Spoilers from leaks/early copies NOT allowed)

Which side are you on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
question: when it says 2 per account does that mean that we can buy 2 in the same order or 2 different orders?

I cannot buy from that store and a friend of mine is gonna buy his, but the point is that I don't want to mess his order in any way. Like for example if they cancel the order with the 2 items contrary to they cancelling just one.

Was there ever actually confirmation that the artbook etc. was delayed in America? I can find confirmations about Europe and Japan pretty easily but seen a few folk who seem to think US is getting the full bundle in July?

Yeah me too. It will be impossible to get the special edition unless they have plenty of stock.

Then what's even the point of ordering it? it probably won't arrive in time.

LE in EU has been officially delayed (until September I think?)
if you pre-order it, on time (July 29th) you will only receive the game (in normal case)

I like the trailer, but it pains me greatly they are not showing the size and scale of the world properly without the human characters for reference. Our brains need a reference point. The town shot was great because we can see people walking.

The scale is actually enormous in that trailer but it doesn’t look like it. Those birds flying look tiny but they are actually huge. Seeing characters running on those path with a close shot then zoom out would have made it 10x better.

Doesn’t seem to be any new areas in that trailer. Don’t think that’s the “exploration” trailer

I doubt there will be a dedicated exploration trailer now. They did one for X aeons ago but that also spoiled every general area in the game. Here it doesn't seem like they want to spoil areas past a certain point.

I'll definitely skip every trailer from now on.

I like the trailer, but it pains me greatly they are not showing the size and scale of the world properly without the human characters for reference. Our brains need a reference point. The town shot was great because we can see people walking.

The scale is actually enormous in that trailer but it doesn’t look like it. Those birds flying look tiny but they are actually huge. Seeing characters running on those path with a close shot then zoom out would have made it 10x better.
this is like b-roll shot for western marketing so, it is what it is

going by Xenoblade2 cycle what is left for us is Characters Trailer and Overview Trailer. Overview Trailer are always 3-4 weeks before release so not this soon.

Was not expecting Valdi. The translation for War Medic seems to say they have a skill that heals all party members. I guess that's what separates them from the other heals who have specific AOEs.

We're getting to the point where I don't really want to see any more cutscene snippets or heroes reveals. I'm starting to feel I've seen enough and I'm just ready to play the game already.

I'm on the fence about the special edition. In the past, they end up releasing a meatier art/materials book in Japan after the game's release. I sort of want to wait for that instead.

The music in the new trailer sounds a little like a new version of The Towering Yggdrasil

I'm impressed with the image quality.

Yes I know there's no battling that could cause a resolution drop but I think they've got it down for docked performance now.

Not that I don't want this entire game in all its glory but I would also very much like an Assassin's Creed Origins-style discovery mode where you just explore the whole world with leisure and engage with creatures non-combatively.

Ah thanks, I overread that. Sounds interesting but I still don't see the reason for renaming characters. Also, wasn't a lot of Christianity stuff renamed in the xenoblade series? I'm also not a fan of this.
Risking the entire censorship can of worms here, but as someone who's very familiar with Christianity and the Bible I appreciate how most Christian references were removed from Xenoblade 2.

Christianity as a whole never got half as popular in Japan as it did in the west. The chance that the typical Japanese player has a wide breath of biblical knowledge is low. Therefore, for Takahashi, the Bible is just a neat thing to reference and parallel. But for the western audience, the stronger Christian background is going to bring these things under much heavier scrutiny.

This is especially true due to Takahashi's apparent fascination with Gnosticism, which directly conflicts with every Christian denomination and is considered heresy. That's not to say it makes it offensive to include; it's just very jarring to see references that seem to be to things I'm familiar with, only for the actual parallels being drawn to fly in the face of what I'd expect. For someone like me, it's immersion breaking. I can't quite believe that's what Takahashi intends for with his references lol, and I'm happy what could be mistaken for more traditional Christian influence is masked as something else instead (in XC2's case, more obscure Greek mythology).

: when it says 2 per account does that mean that we can buy 2 in the same order or 2 different orders?

I cannot buy from that store and a friend of mine is gonna buy his, but the point is that I don't want to mess his order in any way. Like for example if they cancel the order with the 2 items contrary to they cancelling just one.
I don't believe Nintendo's ever used a per-order restriction on anything in their store.

It’s a little wild to me that Jenna Coleman is back in this as Melia (presumably?) after seeing her in the trailer for the new Sandman TV show. I’m glad she’s still doing the role.

Risking the entire censorship can of worms here, but as someone who's very familiar with Christianity and the Bible I appreciate how most Christian references were removed from Xenoblade 2.

Christianity as a whole never got half as popular in Japan as it did in the west. The chance that the typical Japanese player has a wide breath of biblical knowledge is low. Therefore, for Takahashi, the Bible is just a neat thing to reference and parallel. But for the western audience, the stronger Christian background is going to bring these things under much heavier scrutiny.

This is especially true due to Takahashi's apparent fascination with Gnosticism, which directly conflicts with every Christian denomination and is considered heresy. That's not to say it makes it offensive to include; it's just very jarring to see references that seem to be to things I'm familiar with, only for the actual parallels being drawn to fly in the face of what I'd expect. For someone like me, it's immersion breaking. I can't quite believe that's what Takahashi intends for with his references lol, and I'm happy what could be mistaken for more traditional Christian influence is masked as something else instead (in XC2's case, more obscure Greek mythology).
Yeah, if you want an example of what happens when they don't change the names (or do basically anything to try to distance it from real Christianity), just look at Xenosaga, which came across as extremely unsubtle and awkward at times in English. The federation capital is literally called Fifth Jerusalem, and they're not even the ostensibly church-aligned faction.

Eh, I never had any problem with it. Christianity's not really any different or jarring than references to any other mythology. Plenty of people are just as familiar with greco-roman mythology, should they have not used the word aegis?

The difference is that Christianity is a mainstream faith, that some people take VERY seriously. Greek myth on the other hand is extremely fringe, and is basically just viewed as a set of stock characters these days. I think it's perfectly understandable why Nintendo would downplay the Christian aspect of the series.

Slightly off-topic/on-topic but reading about ancient Christianity and Judaism (like during the time of the Romans) is really fascinating. The practices and beliefs are so different in some areas compared to the mainstream sects today that you might be hard-pressed to even recognize them as the same religions. Religions is always changing and the parts people value today may not be valued in the future.

Monolith has gotten a lot better at being more subtle and less in your face about these things anyway*, I really don't think big changes should be necessary anymore unless you are straight up opposed to ANY christian elements at all existing, and even then it's not like they deleted those Bible verses from Pneuma's chest or like they didn't name Noah after... Noah. And we are never ever doing away with trinities.

*I didn't even notice until this year, over 4 years later, the reference to Jung's dream of the collective unconscious in the final chapter of Xenoblade 2. Thought that was really cool, but wow, I bet 99% of the playerbase would never notice

Last edited:
Holy Arma, that new trailer is sweet!
Thinking about to stop to watch any new material and tweets, as it will be even more amazing going in without any info... but its sooo hard to resist!

Eh, I never had any problem with it. Christianity's not really any different or jarring than references to any other mythology. Plenty of people are just as familiar with greco-roman mythology, should they have not used the word aegis?
It's not that references to Christianity itself is jarring - it's that due to its status as a mainstream religion, the Gnostic references that appear Christian become jarring when they pivot in Gnosticism's wild directions. It's hard to explain, but my problem with it is that the references appear Christian but essentially aren't. As @Pokemaniac pointed out, this was far more true of Xenosaga, but it's still there to varying degrees in Xenoblade 2. It would be one thing if Takahashi was intending for it to be like that, but I can't imagine Gnosticism is anything but a weird, intriguing, niche concept to most of Japan.

That said, the (untrue, but the player/Rex don't know this as the time) backstory of Elysium given at the beginning of Xenoblade 2 actually is a surprisingly good match for Eden, as it was called in the original Japanese. I enjoy references like that.

Seeing a tiny bit more of the colonies is nice, but it's all still the same areas they've been showing so far. It makes me wonder what they're so secretive of.

I wonder how crazy the second half of the game is gonna be then. Space travel? Massive Titan-landmass-planet fusion-transformation?

Whatever the next trailer is it's probably gonna be more spoiler-y, hopefully.

We’re probably going to space travel in this game. It’s the final game of the trilogy. You end on the biggest bang and go all out

The Greco-Roman stuff is certainly a bit more exotic for an English speaking audience, which I suspect is what the localization was going for to better match how the Christian stuff is perceived in Japan.

That said, I'm not inherently opposed to the use of Christian imagery, I just think Xenosaga handled it pretty awkwardly at times. I wouldn't be surprised if part of that was localization induced, but probably not all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom