• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Xenoblade 3 - DLC #4 Trailer - Release April 25th

I watched Luxin's. He made it before last night's twitter updates so it's already a little outdated (for instance he speculates that the party starts at level 20 while we see Matthew and A at level 2 in last night's tweet).

He also missed the fusion arts gaining additional effects and calls them just regular fusions. But you can definitely see if you look at the art descriptions and the buffs they receive that A's Attack Down art becomes an AOE Attack Down, Nikol's adds Debuff Barrier, and Glimmer's adds Evasion Up.

Anyways, here's some unrelated playable areas speculation: I think the Red Forest area is probably in Cadensia because you can hear the distinctive Cadensia birds in that tweet showing A's vision mechanics. My guess is it's right outside the Old City. The area in the screenshot for the Collectopedia has a Saffronia Tree so that might be an expanded version of the area with the Lost Colony. I think we'll probably get three main regions: a remixed Cadensia (but less explorable without a boat), the area with Bionis Leg and Colony 9, and the area with Tantal and Prison Island.

It also just occurred to me that chain attacks will be massively nerfed without ouroboros, heroes, and smash looking to be exclusive to union combos.

This is kinda neat, you can upgrade your weapons over time through Riku. The three upgradeable attributes are attack, crit rate, and block rate.

Makes me wonder how their going to handle gems and cooking though if this is Riku's thing now and Manana's not an immortal god-nopon like Riku apparently is. The gem and cooking icons are visible in the enemypedia screenshot so those mechanics aren't removed.

Makes me wonder how their going to handle gems and cooking though if this is Riku's thing now and Manana's not an immortal god-nopon like Riku apparently is. The gem and cooking icons are visible in the enemypedia screenshot so those mechanics aren't removed.

If I was making wild guesses based on nothing, perhaps Shulk handles Gem crafting and Rex cooking, since those are mechanics in their original games. Cooking was technically pyras skill rather than Rex, but who cares for little technicalities.

Fu-FM85n-X0-AMELp9.jpg

Right.....

A's first two passive skills:
Silver Blade - Boost damage by 10% (up to 100%) each time you heal an ally.
Life Sword - Heal self when an auto-attack hits.

The exclamation mark one doesn't seem to be a regular skill but some sort of preemptive strike bonus. I think it's saying it grants Decoy to all allies at the start of battle with a side attack? Not sure on that one.

The two blue skill nodes with the Sims logo are just flat stat boosts. Attack+30 and Healing+25.

I guess when you hit 10/10 Progress it unlocks the next panel of skills. Not sure how class levels work though, there doesn't seem to be CP. Also, the kizuna points for the skill tree (probably will be translated as affinity points) are shared between all party members which is particularly interesting because those percentages for affinity goal completion would imply there's a finite amount.

Unless there was conflicting info I forgot, I thought all of the Nopon were immortal in Xenoblade 3.

I don't think they're immortal, else at least some of the would've noticed the "human" they meet looking exactly the same all the time over the years.
Not many though, we know how self-centered and forgetful Nopon usually are.

I think they basically live like the City people, normal lifespan (which definitely might be longer than human ones) and "normal" reproduction.

Nintendo put up the captions for the trailer. We have the names for some of the characters. The Sharla lookalike is named Panacea while Q and R are the ones merging.

Zed clearly calling Alvis "my God"

Common variety Nopon

apparently Riku made Shulk's prosthetic arm according to this

also my inner completionist likes the collectopaedia and bestiary stuff they just showed off:

I notice there's a third panel on the top of that page too, kinda looks like a map with a pin on it maybe something to do with finding locations or something?

Last edited:
This thread is as great a reminder as any of just how much is going on in these games lol. Maybe I should browse their wiki over the next week and get some Xenosynapses firing

Got to love the passion of the fan base, it‘s awesome. It’s why the in-fighting can be so annoying at times.

So excited to have more Xeno in the next week. I told myself I wouldn’t get too excited for this DLC…

Got to love the passion of the fan base, it‘s awesome. It’s why the in-fighting can be so annoying at times.

So excited to have more Xeno in the next week. I told myself I wouldn’t get too excited for this DLC…
You weren’t fooling anyone, not even yourself!

I notice there's a third panel on the top of that page too, kinda looks like a map with a pin on it maybe something to do with finding locations or something?
I think that might be community. It's under the same section as the bestiary and collectopedia on the Japanese website.

If it's not, then maybe field skills?

Unless there was conflicting info I forgot, I thought all of the Nopon were immortal in Xenoblade 3.
They had normal ages listed in the affinity chart, though Riku's was definitely a lie.

There is precedent for certain Nopon to be inexplicably immortal, like the sages, and it's possible that applies to Riku somehow, but there was no real indication the Nopon more generally worked like that.

They don't always; Mio, Eunie, and Sena didn't, nor does Niall/Nael.
Glimmer's figure is hardly outrageous, I know women in real life built similarly.
I think the issue is more with fan art in this case. Same thing happened with Pyra and Mythra.

I don't like to dive into character anatomy too much, but generally I don't think anyone besides maybe Dahlia is really that egregious. It's moreso the clothing and body physics that I have issues with, and Glimmer is perfectly fine in those regards. People complaining about her design are just looking for something to complain about.

I really adore Pyra and Mythra. They’re probably my favourite characters in the series.

I do like their designs, but I completely understand why some are less keen.

I think Glimmer strikes a good balance of keeping what people liked about their designs, while toning down what they didn’t.

A's first two passive skills:
Silver Blade - Boost damage by 10% (up to 100%) each time you heal an ally.
Life Sword - Heal self when an auto-attack hits.

The exclamation mark one doesn't seem to be a regular skill but some sort of preemptive strike bonus. I think it's saying it grants Decoy to all allies at the start of battle with a side attack? Not sure on that one.

The two blue skill nodes with the Sims logo are just flat stat boosts. Attack+30 and Healing+25.

I guess when you hit 10/10 Progress it unlocks the next panel of skills. Not sure how class levels work though, there doesn't seem to be CP. Also, the kizuna points for the skill tree (probably will be translated as affinity points) are shared between all party members which is particularly interesting because those percentages for affinity goal completion would imply there's a finite amount.

This made me realize that we have bespoke character roles again, instead of the kinda homogeneous blob that the 3 cast ended up as due to the class system. Looking forward to that

I personally think the Xenoblade combat system works best when there are some limitations around classes and abilities.

I think XC benefits from it greatly with a cast of characters that feel unique as a result. The issue XC has is that the battle system around those characters isn’t all too developed and feels a bit vanilla.

XC2 did homogenise characters more, but because blades can‘t be swapped around for free, it did limit you to a degree. It also had the benefit of having lots of blades to mix and match, the full driver combo system, blade combos and the orb system.

Characters feel less unique than those in XC, which some don’t like and I can see where that argument comes from. Characters also feel heavier and not as nimble.

But for me, the additional mechanics mentioned above, as well as the ability to really tinker with your party’s load out made up for it.

I think Torna hit this great sweet spot where you had the complexity of XC2 - the full driver combo, blade combos and orb system - but you were locked into a three-in-one character with unique talent arts, riffing off of XC to some degree.

I‘ve said it before, but I love how they weaved the driver combo into the vanguard switch, it just made everything feel really snappy and slick.

While I do prefer XC2’s combat system, if you took Torna‘s mechanics as is, and built on them for a longer game, I think there’s something really special there.

XC3 sits in a weird spot for me. Correct me if I’m wrong, but they removed the auto attack combo bonus you got in XC2 from cancelling into an art on the third hit. So, basically you’re not as incentivised to stand still like in XC2 (even if people abused ‘stutter-stepping - which was also sadly removed in XC3).

But at the same time you can’t attack while moving like in XC and like XC2, positionals feel less important. So you kind of end up in this middle ground where you don’t get a massive advantage for moving around, but standing still offers no real benefit either.

The class system is interesting but you end up just chopping and changing constantly, with no character ever feeling unique because they all have access to the same stuff. You push up against the level limit often and just when you feel like you’re enjoying a class you feel obligated to switch to another one or you’re wasting your time.

It also means no class feels special. All of this is in aid of eventually building the ‘ultimate classes’ using master arts and other stuff you unlock, but it feels like a slog. Chain attacks are also freakishly strong, but feel overly long and less satisfying than XC2 for me.

All this said, I liked the dash in XC3 and I think a lot of the ideas are good ones - heroes being a great example. I just don’t personally think it comes together as well as I’d hoped.

BUT!

I think a stripped back version of the XC3 combat system, built around six unique characters could be really great. I love some of the stuff I’ve seen so far - particularly when it comes to pairing characters up for different attacks.

The moment Shulk is playable I'm not playing as anyone esle.

Please use this new look as an excuse to finally give him a non-amiibo figure.

This made me realize that we have bespoke character roles again, instead of the kinda homogeneous blob that the 3 cast ended up as due to the class system. Looking forward to that
Interesting, I would’ve assumed it worked like 3 where they could all learn eachother’s classes even if there aren’t any heroes to learn. That’s not the case?

Also do we know for sure heroes are out? I could see a limited roster of maybe like 4

I honestly don't know if I should get this at launch or wait a littlebit to see first impressions and to see if they announce a separate release.

I really adore Pyra and Mythra. They’re probably my favourite characters in the series.

I do like their designs, but I completely understand why some are less keen.

I think Glimmer strikes a good balance of keeping what people liked about their designs, while toning down what they didn’t.

I think their additions to Smash improved their designs a bit. As characters though they're both great.

And agreed with Glimmer so far, she is a nice design amalgamation of the Aegis girls from 2. She might be my favorite to use in Xeno 3 FR.

Interesting, I would’ve assumed it worked like 3 where they could all learn eachother’s classes even if there aren’t any heroes to learn. That’s not the case?

Also do we know for sure heroes are out? I could see a limited roster of maybe like 4
I guess we don't know for certain but we haven't seen Class Points yet and each character has their own Skill Tree. Master Arts are also replaced by something called Ouroboros Powers that are unique to each character (Shulk has a Monado Art that gives Target Lock, for example) and seem to have have unique bonus effects based on what normal art they're Fused with. So yeah, overall, pretty likely class swapping is gone

We technically don't know if Heroes are in or not I think, but given the above and the fact that we haven't seen them yet I wouldn't count on them being in

I think their additions to Smash improved their designs a bit. As characters though they're both great.

And agreed with Glimmer so far, she is a nice design amalgamation of the Aegis girls from 2. She might be my favorite to use in Xeno 3 FR.
Torn between Glimmer and Rex. Pyra’s daughter or my boy turned man - tough choice.
it's still there but for specific skills now
Ahh fair play.

It's always tricky to balance in RPGs between characters having their own identities vs. the genre's trademark customizability. When I was younger, I was a staunch believer in characters' identities coming out in their movesets like Chrono Trigger, FF4, and Xenoblade 1 but also couldn't deny the fun of mixing and matching job systems like FF5. Then I went through a phase where I was like "customization is the blood and soul of RPGs, everything must be customizable!" but deep down I kept liking characters having their own identities even if I didn't want to admit it. End of the day I don't think there's a one size fits all solution and it's just what makes different games feel like different games.

But the extremes on either end do bother me. I've come to not have much love for the "you can learn every skill in the game!" thing that the original FF12 or Divinity Origin Sin did. But I also think Torna and even my beloved Chrono Trigger go too far with not having enough stuff to tinker with. Xenoblade 3 base game definitely feels like it strays toward the former. I have some gripes about the class system I never expressed here. I was going to do a massive write up on the story and gameplay when I finished but ultimately decided it was a waste of energy.

But what bothered me with the base game is stuff like how Mondo is supposed to be important to Taion and Taion's whole identity and aesthetic of a debuffing origami wizard seemed so cool to me in the prerelease phase but there's no way to grow or expand the identity in the game. The moment you're given control over Taion you already have all the arts and skills his class will ever learn and then it's already obsolete and will never be used on Taion again as early as Millick Meadows. At the same time, I don't see how they could go back to a more xc1 approach after X and 2.

I know xc1's lack of customization often gets dunked on by X and 2 fans, and as an xc1 fanboy sometimes I play into that to try and prove that don't have rose-tinted goggles for 1 but really I'm pretty fine with its level of customization. Characters learn set arts but skill links and how open-ended the equipment system could feel with gems did a lot of heavy lifting. And characters learned twice as many arts than they could take into battle so even if you couldn't make Reyn a dedicated healer you still had some choices like: do I want Reyn to focus on burst damage with Berserk+Magnum Charge+Sword Drive or do I need something tankier with a focus on damage mitigation with Anchor Chain+Aura Burst+the Dive Sobat combo? Looking at the skill trees for Future Redeemed, it does seem like it's only going to be six Arts and four Skills per character and I'm worried it'll be more like Torna than xc1. The union combos look promising though.

Lately, I've been thinking if I were to make an RPG, I'd probably have set classes and weapons for the characters but have something like Diablo 2's skill tree where there are three trees per character that represent three main playstyle directions that character can go down and of course, you can mix and match between the three trees. I mean I've tried to make an RPG. I still kind of want to, I need there to be more time in a day lol.

Thank you for the alert. The last two to complete my Smash bros Collection. Gonna assume Sora isn't getting one at this point.

Umming and ahhhing about whether to get the Noah and Mio Amiibo too. My pet theory is that they'll co-incide with a XB3 performance/visual patch for the next switch, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Is there no chance of physical afterall? I'd be so mad if I bought the expansion pass and then they announced physical :mad:
Man I dunno. Cause XB 2 Torna digital was released on the 18 and physical on September 21st, 2018 (according to wiki).

I feel like they would have confirmed it by know if there was physical. iF they do plan on one, then I feel like it's most likely deliberate of them to delay announcing (and releasing later on) so they can get as many launch downloads and have people "double dip" after. I would be surprised if they announced physical..

Last edited:
It's always tricky to balance in RPGs between characters having their own identities vs. the genre's trademark customizability. When I was younger, I was a staunch believer in characters' identities coming out in their movesets like Chrono Trigger, FF4, and Xenoblade 1 but also couldn't deny the fun of mixing and matching job systems like FF5. Then I went through a phase where I was like "customization is the blood and soul of RPGs, everything must be customizable!" but deep down I kept liking characters having their own identities even if I didn't want to admit it. End of the day I don't think there's a one size fits all solution and it's just what makes different games feel like different games.

But the extremes on either end do bother me. I've come to not have much love for the "you can learn every skill in the game!" thing that the original FF12 or Divinity Origin Sin did. But I also think Torna and even my beloved Chrono Trigger go too far with not having enough stuff to tinker with. Xenoblade 3 base game definitely feels like it strays toward the former. I have some gripes about the class system I never expressed here. I was going to do a massive write up on the story and gameplay when I finished but ultimately decided it was a waste of energy.

But what bothered me with the base game is stuff like how Mondo is supposed to be important to Taion and Taion's whole identity and aesthetic of a debuffing origami wizard seemed so cool to me in the prerelease phase but there's no way to grow or expand the identity in the game. The moment you're given control over Taion you already have all the arts and skills his class will ever learn and then it's already obsolete and will never be used on Taion again as early as Millick Meadows. At the same time, I don't see how they could go back to a more xc1 approach after X and 2.

I know xc1's lack of customization often gets dunked on by X and 2 fans, and as an xc1 fanboy sometimes I play into that to try and prove that don't have rose-tinted goggles for 1 but really I'm pretty fine with its level of customization. Characters learn set arts but skill links and how open-ended the equipment system could feel with gems did a lot of heavy lifting. And characters learned twice as many arts than they could take into battle so even if you couldn't make Reyn a dedicated healer you still had some choices like: do I want Reyn to focus on burst damage with Berserk+Magnum Charge+Sword Drive or do I need something tankier with a focus on damage mitigation with Anchor Chain+Aura Burst+the Dive Sobat combo? Looking at the skill trees for Future Redeemed, it does seem like it's only going to be six Arts and four Skills per character and I'm worried it'll be more like Torna than xc1. The union combos look promising though.

Lately, I've been thinking if I were to make an RPG, I'd probably have set classes and weapons for the characters but have something like Diablo 2's skill tree where there are three trees per character that represent three main playstyle directions that character can go down and of course, you can mix and match between the three trees. I mean I've tried to make an RPG. I still kind of want to, I need there to be more time in a day lol.

I kinda wish every character in Xenoblade 3 had had some personal skills that only they had, I thought there would be something like that and was disappointed that there wasn't and I think it would have done just enough to make the characters feel more unique while still keeping most of the customization

something along the lines of one of the skill slots for each character being devoted to a personal skill and a few different wildly different options for each character so they don't just feel pigeonholed into a single playstyle either

Is there no chance of physical afterall? I'd be so mad if I bought the expansion pass and then they announced physical :mad:
Man I dunno. Cause XB 2 Torna digital was released on the 18 and physical on September 21st, 2018 (according to wiki).

I feel like they would have confirmed it by know if there was physical. iF they do plan on one, then I feel like it's most likely deliberate of them to delay announcing (and releasing later on) so they can get as many launch downloads and have people "double dip" after. I would be surprised if they announced physical..

They said in the announcement on NOA's twitter that it is "available exclusively via Wave 4 of the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass". So yeah, no physical release.

I guess we don't know for certain but we haven't seen Class Points yet and each character has their own Skill Tree. Master Arts are also replaced by something called Ouroboros Powers that are unique to each character (Shulk has a Monado Art that gives Target Lock, for example) and seem to have have unique bonus effects based on what normal art they're Fused with. So yeah, overall, pretty likely class swapping is gone

We technically don't know if Heroes are in or not I think, but given the above and the fact that we haven't seen them yet I wouldn't count on them being in
Could just not have the class swap and just be a 7th teammate being a guest one that changes over the course of the story(tho with how the game works and the Nopon archsage being outside time and space I will not rule out the DLC team’s classes being unlockable for the main story crew via the arena, maybe via a rogue like guantlet but where you use the dlc crew as your character)

Saxophone, gotta round out strings and wind with brass

Yeah I do think it depends on the game what system is best - I tend to like both systems so long as they're well implemented, though imo XC3 is not a great example of a job system. Monolith has experience with unique roles though so I'm hopeful for FR's system

The system you describe kinda reminds me of DQ XI, actually. Each character there has 3-4 skill tree branches focused on a weapon or magic type. There's some overlap between some characters but overall everyone feels pretty unique while still having some build variety

Gonna be honest, I really wish this was coming out later during the summer... between this, Jedi Survivor, and Tears of the Kingdom in a few weeks I'm gonna be stretched thin, lol

Back
Top Bottom