• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Xenoblade 3 - DLC #4 Trailer - Release April 25th

Well, I suppose I’ll jot a few thoughts down for the first time… I’ll spoiler tag it in case you’re here without playing XC3… for some reason -

- First of all, what a wonderful surprise. A few of us were speculating about a trailer this week, so to not only get one but to find out the DLC is right around the corner. Amazing.

- The trailer itself is jam-packed. There’s so much going on. Lots of story stuff, new characters, combat, etc. no second is wasted.

- It feels like a fanboy‘s wet dream. Rex, Shulk, their kids, A, Alvis, N… the list goes on. I was disappointed by how XC3 connected to the previous games,
so much so, I’m all for this cross-universe team up.

- It’s a shame it’s not going to be a standalone product as I’d have loved to buy it separately.

- The characters and scenes shown throw up so many questions it feels impossible to piece together what might happen. But I almost hope that the endless now is something our heroes reluctantly impose on the world because it’s the only path to success. Think Infinity War/Endgame. That would be an interesting twist.

- Glad, but unsurprised, that Glimmer has seemingly become very popular very quickly. But where’s Pyra and Mythra?

- “I like your attitude kiddo” is a great evolution of Rex’s signature line.

- Really intrigued to see what A is all about - I mean a new trinity processor who wields some variation of the Monado feels like a big deal.

- Nikol got the short end of the stick and is easily the least cool of everyone there for me. Valdi 2.0. Matthew is going to have to do a lot to stand toe to toe with Rex and Shulk and be the clear lead of the DLC.

I am cautious. XC3, while a great game in its own right, was a big disappointment to me. And in some sense, it’s tougher to become invested in this, given how the third game ends. But there’s a lot of fan service here and my love for those first two games means I can’t not be excited.

A chunk of the Xeno fanbase were calling for his head on plate soon after the release of the second game, and declared that they'd boycott any future titles involving his character designs. Funny how the loudest bunch forget the most.

Saito should (absolutely!) stay onboard for future entries, he's created many standout and memorable figures in the series. I wonder whether Monolith Soft have tried to poach him away from his freelance operation.
Most of the worst designs in 2 were not even designed by Saito (caugh Dahlia caugh) so I never really had a problem with him. He designed Morag, which is cool.

If you're Monolith, it would be easy to see that on the whole, the new character designs and models were a massive success and a huge part of the sales success of that game. But in a lot of spaces online, you'd think the game succeeded despite them, rather than because of them.
I recall that one of the first images, captured from 2, that got shared around the Xeno community at release time was of Zeke holding a massive purple sword in a very suggestive manner. That design + pose attracted a lot of initial outrage, before the seemingly eternal focus on problematic female aesthetics set in. It's strange that there was an almost instant push back against more humour being injected into the game, which also ties into the more expressive animation style - as you point out.

There were lots of "comedic" skits in Xenoblade Chronicles X, so it wasn't a massive leap for Monolith Soft to refine that element and implement funny moments into 2. It wasn't a big surprise for folks who'd already experienced X, but probably quite jarring for people coming from a purely XBC1 background.

Saito has clearly set a distinct house style for the series, and it'll be interesting to find out whether he'll stay on as the principal character artist, be it as freelancer or full-timer.

I might be more excited for this than BOTW2. Which isn't even a slight against BOTW2, I love Xenoblade so much
Xenoblade games/dlc automatically tops the list for me anytime it releases (and the dlc will probably be my favorite experience of the year), that said it's insane how jam packed the next couple of weeks are (Xenoblade, TOTK, Advance Wars, FF16, Diablo 4, Jedi Survivor and Pikmin 4), I genuinely don't know how I'll have time for all these games man lol.

Most of the worst designs in 2 were not even designed by Saito (caugh Dahlia caugh) so I never really had a problem with him. He designed Morag, which is cool.
never forget what they took from us

hvmxnh0lyug21.jpg

What I wanted was more worldbuilding and lore, I'm getting what I wanted it seems
Same here. The DLC seems to be solving one of the only problems I had with XB3, so I'm jazzed as hell. Taken all together XB3+FR might be the story I was hoping for.

Lore-wise, it really seems like they're tying everything together. More than just seeing these older characters in action again, i'm excited to see how they connect to this XC3 world and characters in particular, the City's foundation, what exactly happened to them that wasn't described on the statues, and what's Alvis' role in all of this, as well as Klaus' (i hope there's something more to it than just that flashback)

God damn this looks so cool. I wish we had a rough idea how big this expansion is, would love to get this on release but I’m worried about shelving it once TotK releases. I’ll probably just wait until I’m done with Zelda at this stage.

I love A’s design so much, extremely appealing for what is essentially genderbent Alvis.

I might be more excited for this than BOTW2. Which isn't even a slight against BOTW2, I love Xenoblade so much

This is where I’m at too. Again, like you say, that’s not a negative on TotK (I can’t wait for it) but, Xenoblade is my favourite.

cant' deny I'm pretty excited. I loved XC3, not only one of my favorite Switch games, but also maybe one of my favorite jrpg in a long long time. even if i loved how the story unfolded, i was a little underwhelmed for the relatively lack of connection in terms of lore between the game and the OG 1&2. this DLC seems to fix this issue, so I'm thrilled.

So it seems like Fusion Arts may have unique names and maybe even additional effects depending on what Arts are Fused? At least, if I'm understanding the video and the description of Ouroboros Powers right

That's a neat expansion of the concept if so

Looks like visions are back, baby.

There are a lot of tweets on XenobladeJP from the last hour.

also there's a video confirming that there's an equipping system to pick who does the new dual attacks(like that hellstream thing in the trailer) with who:

also confirmation that character switching is back not that that's surprising:

also fusion arts are back and they're calling the left side arts "ouroboros power" according to google translate:

also information about Matthew's talent art and a cutscene of Matthew and Na'el training with their grandfather that looks pretty early in the game

it's crazy how much stuff the Japenese twitter account is putting out right now

Well this will keep me busy until botw releases. What can we expect from the length of the content?

probably somewhere in the 20-40 hour range

difficult to say for sure but they did say when the base game came out that they were aiming for a similar scope to Torna and between how much stuff they're releasing on this and the data mining from before showing that it had slightly more cutscenes than Torna(not that just knowing how many there are says anything about their length) it feels like it might be slightly longer

Last edited:
Alvis is my favourite NPC from 1 so I hope his character is treated well (though I'm kinda expecting a bait and switch)

probably somewhere in the 20-40 hour range

difficult to say for sure but they did say when the base game came out that they were aiming for a similar scope to Torna and between how much stuff they're releasing on this and the data mining from before showing that it had slightly more cutscenes than Torna(not that just knowing how many there are says anything about their length) it feels like it might be slightly longer
Thanks, so just about enough to finish before Zelda releases.

Stealth way of telling the people "We were just as surprised as you were yesterday!"
On the contrary, they've had a steady stream of material ready to go. Seems like they've been waiting to get this out.

So it seems like Fusion Arts may have unique names and maybe even additional effects depending on what Arts are Fused? At least, if I'm understanding the video and the description of Ouroboros Powers right

That's a neat expansion of the concept if so
Yea, it looks like every Ouroboros Power gains an additional effect when used as a fusion. Like Shulk has Monado Armor on the left which has Field / Armor Veil but when used as a fusion it also grants Powercharge to Shulk. I'm rather excited about that after the base game version of fusion arts ended up being one of the more disappointing features of the battle system for me. This is more like what I wish they were.

I noticed A can also stock charges of Vision, I don't believe anyone else can do that with their Talent Arts. Beyond that, it just looks like 10 seconds of party invincibility and if you can fill up the Talent Gauge in those 10 seconds, you get a big attack on all enemies like filling Origin Blade after unleashing Lucky Seven. Notably, this attack fills up after only one role action which makes me wonder if she has different vision Talents she can swap out. I like how the symbol is the old Monado Arts symbol.

I wonder if they'll give any enemies a way to counter or bypass the vision's effect, like giving fogbeasts a move like Soul Read.

Is this gonna be sold by itself or do I have to get the whole pass? Has the rest of the pass been good? This story expansion is what interests me on paper but I’d love to hear what some people here have thought of it

Is this gonna be sold by itself or do I have to get the whole pass? Has the rest of the pass been good? This story expansion is what interests me on paper but I’d love to hear what some people here have thought of it
The text at the bottom of the screen in the trailer says the full game is required, so it doesn't look like it's getting the Torna treatment. The rest of the pass has sort of just been okay. The most attractive addition is the rogue-like challenge gauntlet which I had a lot of fun with. The regular challenge battles are more like DE's than 2's though.

The first hero has some cutesy xc2 references in her quests if that's your thing since she's an artificial blade. They don't really go anywhere deep with it lore-wise, it's just cute/fun. The class is whatever and doesn't offer much to post-game. If you were to play again from the beginning though she has some value in offering another Break art early on so you don't have to have at least one swordfighter until you get the nopons. The second hero's quests have a little more city/founder lore but nothing amazing. Her class is actually pretty good though, she's a crit healer reminiscent of (though nowhere near as broken as) xb2's version of Fiora. It's probably the only Keves healer that can even sit anywhere near the same ballpark as signifier and troubadour. The crafting mechanics she brings are interesting albeit superfluous.

Don't expect anything broken/crazy like Crossette or Elma.

Thank you for the thorough reply @EtherPenguin! It’s too bad you can’t get just the one piece of DLC but I’ll do what I gotta do. The roguelite mode sounds intriguing, will have to look into that a bit. Since I’ll have the pass anyway, maybe I should roll right into a new playthrough with all this extra stuff to mess with after the story DLC 🤙

I’m bowing out of speculation. But I do wonder if the dlc story team will get added to the rogue like gauntlet mode!

Can you unlock the new classes in the full game when you finished the story? Or not known yet?
I wouldn't get my hopes up. It's a prequel, the characters in FR aren't around to join the XC3 crew. TTGC didn't do anything for XC2 either.

It's a shame this won't be released in a separate physical release with the rest of the pass included as a code like they did with Torna... Because I won't be back home where my copy of 3 is for another couple of months, so I'll have to wait whether I like it or not ☹️

Back
Top Bottom