• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Xbox First Party going third party/multiplat - Discussing and Summary Thread (UPDATE: 4 Xbox exclusives are coming to Nintendo Switch and PS5)

Meelow

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
With the number of rumours and speculation, I think it's best if we had a discussion thread on this and then let it spill in into the Xbox discussion thread and the Switch 2 threads (obviously, if there is anything relating to "Fable coming to Switch 2" then that's fine to post in the thread)

But this thread will summarise all the rumours, and we can discuss them here.

Please note: fanboy wars in this thread are not allowed, so no,"YES! I can't wait for Microsoft to go third party so I can play Halo on Switch 2".

January 6th, 2024:

Our very own Nate has said that he has heard of a couple of Xbox first-party games going multiple.

1:07:36 Timestamp Quote
The title I am referring to was met with high critical acclaim, fans loved it, it was in the GOTY conversation the year it released. When the announcement comes I think it's going to be met with a lot of excitement because this is a quality game.
1:12:22 Timestamp Quote
Yes, Microsoft will be dabbling in bringing a 1st party game to a competitor platform in 2024. At least one game, I know of one, don't know if there will be additional.

January 7th, 2024:
WC backs up Nate

They say there's no smoke without fire. I will say that it has been suggested to me from very trusted, proven sources that Microsoft has been exploring bringing some of its back catalog to other platforms, although some of the details remain vague and unconfirmed. We've reached out to Microsoft to comment and clarify its position on this stuff.

January 8th, 2024:

Jeff Grubb says he has heard that Sea of Thieves might be coming to Nintendo Switch and PS5

"Sea of Thieves, right---I'll say I've heard that is one that might be coming to other platforms. When I first started hearing these rumors, I was like, 'Oh this is probably about Sea of Thieves, because I've heard that could come to Switch and PlayStation.' And maybe that might be the kind of thing where like, actually all of this stuff is happening, and Microsoft is kind of trying to rejigger its strategy."

Febuary 1st, 2024:
Hi-Fi Rush was detamined to have Switch and PlayStation shirts

AsTZ1j5.png

Quoted from IDontBeatGames on Era

Since OP didn't include it, here's the shirts:
Shadow Dropped = Xbox Developer Direct Reference
I'm Here Baby = Blue obviously references Playstation branding
This is Simply Epic = Epic Store reference of course
Be Positive Overwhelmingly = Steam reference of course
Rock Out Anywhere = Red obviously referencing the Switch branding

Febuary 3rd, 2024:
The tweet was delayed, but a supposed Zenimax employee went on a big Xbox podcast and said Sarah Bond will go over the new changes this spring; since the tweet was delayed, I'll go over the ERA thread.

• Metrics driven
  • Internet discourse isn't 'considered', but concerns are valid
  • re: 'considered' discourse, if looked at from a different angle there is missing information that you may not see
  • Allusions to a very concise explanation by Xbox about the situation
  • A secondary speaker mentions that other people 'who were concerned previously' are now saying we 'shouldn't be as concerned as we are'
  • The 'Big 3' platform holders have the liberty of paving the road and laying the brick at the same time
  • A lot of conversations around this kind of stuff, it's ongoing, everything discussed has been covered and/or has a clause around it
Later that day, Jez backed it up by saying it's happening and also heard that it's "some games to all Xbox first party games"

Febuary 4th: 2024

According to sources, we understand that currently Microsoft are planning a launch for Starfield on PlayStation 5 post the release of the already announced “Shattered Space” expansion for Xbox and PC, which is on target to arrive at some point later this year. We’ve also been informed that Microsoft have made additional investment into PlayStation 5 dev kits to support ongoing development efforts – adding further fuel to the fire.

Febuary 5th, 2024:

Febuary 12th, 2024:

Last edited:
Curious to see how this will play out for them. Xbox is in a weird place right now and this is certainly a decision made with that in mind. I wonder how this will affect hardware sales? Speaking personally, this definitely would make it even more unlikely for me to buy an Xbox in the future…

Microsoft: "We own you now. Your games are going to be exclusive to Xbox"
Activision: ".....No. How about you put your games on other systems instead?"
Microsoft: "Oh ok then"

interesting future we got going

I’ve really have no urge to play any Xbox titles. Only Halo and that interest died when local co-op died on it. I got a Series
2 years ago and haven’t used it in a long time.

Gamepass isn’t for me.

I've heard some folk describing this like a SEGA style disaster.

If this happened enmasse I don't think this would be like SEGA where console development just stopped. Because in SEGA's case the expense was just too much (and the company was nearly destroyed at the time) I feel MS would still have their physical platform, but maybe with less focus since they are strongly heading towards a purely digital future and don't need to rely on a physical machine to have market dominance.

I'm reminded of a certain Phil Spencer quote from a recent leaked e-mail... : -)

Anyway I only expect this to be smaller/older games for now, nothing big

Microsoft: "We own you now. Your games are going to be exclusive to Xbox"
Activision: ".....No. How about you put your games on other systems instead?"
Microsoft: "Oh ok then"
"And then [Microsoft] was [a third party publisher]."

I'm a fan of this. Not because of "fanboy wars" but because Microsoft bought a ton of third party studios in the past 10 or so years. Bethesda and Activision Blizzard were two of the biggest third party companies and they're both gone now. This way Playstation and Nintendo get games back that they should have gotten anyways, instead of them being exclusive to a system for no other reason than Microsoft not knowing how to create studios.

I just wanted Hi-Fi Rush, but okay, this works. Microsoft transforming Xbox into a more general gaming brand/ecosystem rather than something attached to a bespoke piece of hardware is basically what they've moving towards for years at this point, so I can't say I'm surprised. The gaming division isn't so that lucrative for them, so they stand to gain more success by doing this.

Curious to see how this will play out for them. Xbox is in a weird place right now and this is certainly a decision made with that in mind. I wonder how this will affect hardware sales? Speaking personally, this definitely would make it even more unlikely for me to buy an Xbox in the future…
I would not be surprised if this (publishing at least some first-party titled on other non-PC platforms) is step one (or maybe step two) of a hardware manufacturing exit strategy in the longterm.

My 2 cents:

All XGS games + Bethesda stuff will be ported to Sony/Nintendo systems between 12 to 24 months later. In addition, al of their stuff will be firstly be announced at their own events

Activision-Blizzard output will remain fully multiplatform.

Everything will be day 1 in GamePass.

Microsoft will continue to make consoles and the have plans to release a handheld HW not so far in the future. Something called like XB Series P(ortable) that is basically a Series S equivalent shrunk into a handheld form factor (+ more RAM?). Fully compatible with Series games.

You think something will come up to replace Xbox in the same way they replaced Sega once their consoles went under? I think this is for the best though, Xbox already made so little exclusives having them on other consoles works better, plus this expands the reach of game pass infinitely. You just know that once 3rd party support really starts kicking on switch 2, a potential game pass service would sell like hotcakes

"all games" would be bonkers and yet a welcome move. The more people able to play these games, the happier the devs will be.

This seems like a positive all round.

Ironically, that song and dance for Sony might just end up not mattering much.

Tho, console warroring is gonna be amusing to witness. So Im gonna ignore it

You think something will come up to replace Xbox in the same way they replaced Sega once their consoles went under? I think this is for the best though, Xbox already made so little exclusives having them on other consoles works better, plus this expands the reach of game pass infinitely. You just know that once 3rd party support really starts kicking on switch 2, a potential game pass service would sell like hotcakes.
Xbox has already been replaced. PC gaming is bigger than ever and starting to go handheld. VR gaming is becoming more mainstream through Meta. Plus mobile gaming and streaming exist now. Unfortunately, Xbox as a platform died with the Xbox One and trying to bring it back was always a near impossible task.

Not sure how to feel about this. Less exclusivity is always a good thing on paper, but this would effectively spell the end of Xbox as a console. Which not only hurts anybody who’s built up a digital library on Xbox systems, but gives Sony pretty much an unchecked monopoly on AAA console gaming. Not to mention Gamepass needing to undergo a pretty heavy overhaul, if they want it on Sony platforms.

What a fall from grace, in any case.

Remember when people were afraid that they might take COD away from Playstation

Starting to feel like the merger imight be helping Sony more than Microsoft lmao
Overall this helps both.

Xbox sales have just not been great since the Xbox One gen. What MS is losing in brand exclusivity and control they are gaining through increased eyes on their games. And well, Sony still keeps their control and power while still keeping COD.

And well... MS never did a good job with 1st party branding after the 360 gen. They kinda fumbled for the longest time with cultivating all that.

But maybe I'm biased. I never felt there was enough room in the console ecosystem for 3 brands. I think it was only the end of the 306/PS3/Wii gen where the consoles were on relatively equal footing, and even then Sony was only clawing back while Nintendo was losing their market.

Not sure how to feel about this. Less exclusivity is always a good thing on paper, but this would effectively spell the end of Xbox as a console. Which not only hurts anybody who’s built up a digital library on Xbox systems, but gives Sony pretty much an unchecked monopoly on AAA console gaming.

What a fall from grace, in any case.
The gaming industry has been more than just the three main consoles (Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo) for a long time now. Xbox has been effectively replaced by PC, VR, and mobile gaming. I'd argue that Sony doesn't have a monopoly on anything, especially not when Nintendo is starting to catch up to AAA gaming.

As someone who mainly plays on PC/Steam, this doesn't matter to me, but it's very interesting to read and observe peoples reactions.

While xbox sales haven't been great, going fully multi-platform seems to be a complete withdrawal from the console space. Why would you get an an xbox, if all those games will go elsewhere and those other platforms have their own exclusives too.

Bad times ahead, less exclusivity leads to more industry homogenization. Furthermore, my desire for sony first parties is at an all time low; the last thing they need is less competition.

this also makes me heavily question the activison purchase. Yeah I guess this means it's not an anti-competitive monopoly at least but it just seems so pointless now

The gaming industry has been more than just the three main consoles (Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo) for a long time now. Xbox has been effectively replaced by PC, VR, and mobile gaming. I'd argue that Sony doesn't have a monopoly on anything, especially not when Nintendo is starting to catch up to AAA gaming.
None of those are direct competitors. PC has a significantly higher barrier to entry than console gaming, while VR and mobile are targeting very different audiences. And Nintendo is years off from catching up to the current generation of hardware.

They already kinda have one given how irrelevant Xbox has been in terms of sales, but Sony would have complete control over the AAA console market. And unless Nintendo or PC makes a drastic shift away from where they are now, that wouldn’t change for the foreseeable future.

If they do this, XBox hardware IMO is done. It'll happen gradually but it'll eventually fade away. They can spin it a million ways and say they have this fancy pants philosophy where they will still make hardware, but who's gonna buy that hardware when you get MS games on the Playstation and then whatever exclusives Sony has on their platform too. Or ditto for Switch.

oof that Starfield post. when that's getting ported everything is fair game

I bought Xbox for 20 years so they can use that money to fund games and services and build up the platform. Use that money on a remastered Lost Odyssey or an Xbox port that didn't already exist such as Fallout 1 or 2 which are PC only currently from one of their first party studios or from a 3rd party like Falcom and Ys games. Nope, what I'm paying for is early access and beta test games like Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush so they can port them to the other platforms

I think they'll keep making consoles for Game Pass people. a large number of the subs come from the console space still.

damn we're really losing an ecosystem lol. now the only choices are Steam, PS, and Nintendo. I was doing really well with just Xbox and Nintendo but since non-Steam gaming is not viable I'm down to buying things only on Nintendo's platform. that's so great.

I know Phil has said their objective has been to get away from hardware but this feels very quick. Probably ends consumer faith in the brand hardware-wise

I can't say I really understand Microsoft's strategy. Going all digital with their software and abandoning retail seems like a good way to stop more casual customers from getting into their system. I guess if they want to go all in on GamePass and phase out the hardware side of things, that's one way to do it.

I'm gonna wait til Microsoft finally decides to clear things up. This is a bit of a shitshow and I'm not sure this really effects me too much as a Series X owner. Really in it for gamepass and that's not going anywhere.

But I think it's about to get a bit more expensive...

Xbox has already been replaced. PC gaming is bigger than ever and starting to go handheld. VR gaming is becoming more mainstream through Meta. Plus mobile gaming and streaming exist now. Unfortunately, Xbox as a platform died with the Xbox One and trying to bring it back was always a near impossible task.
ah Don Mattrick....

It's so sad really what happened with the Xbox One.

None of those are direct competitors. PC has a significantly higher barrier to entry than console gaming, while VR and mobile are targeting very different audiences. And Nintendo is years off from catching up to the current generation of hardware.

They already kinda have one given how irrelevant Xbox has been in terms of sales, but Sony would have complete control over the AAA console market. And unless Nintendo or PC makes a drastic shift away from where they are now, that wouldn’t change for the foreseeable future.
PC already is, thanks to the Steam Deck. The barrier to entry is getting lower every day. I guess Sony would be the only normal AAA console, but like you said, they've practically already been that for years. Nothing will change.

Feel like this might effectively kill Xbox as a traditional console platform. I don't regret getting a Series S because it was basically a budget entry to "next gen" gaming but their current messaging (or lack thereof) doesn't make me very confident in their ecosystem.

It does, but that doesn't stop PC gaming from growing years of year and it also grows especially in countries that are generally poor.
Everything is growing. That’s not a PC only thing.

PC already is, thanks to the Steam Deck. The barrier to entry is getting lower every day. I guess Sony would be the only normal AAA console, but like you said, they've practically already been that for years. Nothing will change.
The Steam Deck hasn’t exactly taken off, so I’m not sure that’s the best comparison.

Maybe I’m wrong, but even if Xbox is lagging behind they’re still a big competitor on the market. Not having another AAA console available at all sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

"You are what you eat"

has been running through my head every time I read something about this situation

This is how it goes when you have bad management mismanage your hardware division basically every year since XBox 360 and XBox One launched.

Everything is growing. That’s not a PC only thing.

Not game pass apparently.

And no, consoles doesn't seem to be growing, consoles have a ceiling despite PS5 and Switch selling really well and fast.

It's the reason PS and Xbox are releasing games on PC (and elsewhere later it seems), because console sales have a ceiling.

Time will tell, but this looks to me like a shitshow in the making. I'm not sure why Microsoft thinks putting their games on other consoles will magically make them more desirable (remember, many of them are already on PC). Their core issue was and continues to be their inability to put out quality games at a decent pace, and I don't see how sacrificing their ecosystem is going to help them with that.

Feel like this might effectively kill Xbox as a traditional console platform. I don't regret getting a Series S because it was basically a budget entry to "next gen" gaming but their current messaging (or lack thereof) doesn't make me very confident in their ecosystem.
This is exactly where I’m at. As the owner of a Series X and Series S, who actually loves the current Xbox ecosystem, with hundreds (maybe thousands?) spent on digital Xbox games, I am left to wonder what’s gonna happen with that library once all this dust is settled. If they’re really getting out of hardware, what happens to all of my Xbox games/purchases? They really need to get out ahead of this because right now my sentiment on the Xbox brand is “sinking ship”

Back
Top Bottom