• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Xbox First Party going third party/multiplat - Discussing and Summary Thread (UPDATE: 4 Xbox exclusives are coming to Nintendo Switch and PS5)

Okay let me pitch a possibility of how Xbox can salvage the hardware situation and anyone with more knowledge on the tech side of things tell me if my idea is valid or not

They should let end users install Windows 11 onto existing Xbox Series consoles and turn them into fixed-spec Windows Gaming PCs that have an Xbox UI front end for controller-based navigation, but also you can install whatever you like on them because they’re Windows machines, including Steam and Steam games. Similar to a Steam Deck, where it is just a Linux computer under the hood, but it has a Steam front end to make it feel more console-like.

Going forward, they can continue the Xbox brand by making small form-factor gaming PCs for the TV/living room and branding them Xbox. All of your Xbox purchases carry forward, but also you can play just about any Windows game on it as well.

Would that work?

we're almost there!

I do have to say this does work out well for Switch 2. If Nintendo can get a MS exec on stage and say, "You can play Rare titles and Halo, as well as other Xbox IPs on the upcoming Switch 2", then that's just going to boost Switch 2's hype even further.
Timing of this is really curious. Maybe MS knew about Nintendo's next gen plans all along? Nintendo might have shared them when they made Call of Duty thing official. They saw it and went "Yeah we should bet on this".

Switch 2 with Hi-Fi Rush, SoT, Rare Replay, Pentiment and maybe a gears collection?😍😍😍
I believe Rare Replay relies on Xbox backwards compatibility. It might take some effort to port it over. But yeah, if this is happening. I'd expect Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, and Rare Replay to be the first three games that Microsoft will launch on Switch/Switch 2.

I really don't know how to feel about this. I never really cared much for XBox hardware (except the controllers) or most of their games and I'd love to see the few things I am interested in on Nintendo hardware... but unchecked Sony in the AAA-space sucks big dinosaur balls :/
They were effectively unchecked already anyways (well not really, Nintendo is competition even in the AAA space), Sony is obviously struggling with software a little but the console is still selling incredibly well.

However, this is still scary for the console market. Sony going without direct competition is not good at all and even Nintendo and maybe Valve may become a little more bold in their profit drive. Companies are not your friends.
Sure, but we're already seeing that in an industry that still has Microsoft in it with $70 games. Not sure what more they can do to squeeze more profit out of us beyond that.

If Indie is releasing on PS5 mere months afterward, then it's clear the "multiplatform strategy" is just pretext for slowly sunsetting the hardware division. I mean that was already obvious, but now it's at a point where even the most devout fanboys would have trouble denying it.

It’s just an avalanche at this point. I don’t think Microsoft has the luxury of waiting until March to address this.

The XboxEra article said they're announcing the approach this month. If they are, I imagine they're going to put out a press release tomorrow morning.

If Microsoft keeps its xbox studios game exclusives (not counting GAAS ones) while ABK/Zenimax go multiplatform then maybe there is a slim chance that microsoft's hardware continues, but it is very slim

It’s just an avalanche at this point. I don’t think Microsoft has the luxury of waiting until March to address this.

Yeah there's no way they aren't saying anything frame one tomorrow, this is snowballing into a PR disaster

It's going to be very interesting to see what this does for software sales. It's clear that sales form XBOX + PC weren't enough for the games they were making but are PS (and to a lesser degree Switch) going to help here? For some games maybe...

The XboxEra article said they're announcing the approach this month. If they are, I imagine they're going to put out a press release tomorrow morning.
Yep, it has to be tomorrow at this point and they have to be absolutely clear. i appreciate they may not have fully decided everything/which games to bring over (such as Indiana Jones which sounds like they are deliberating) but they need to be absolutely clear what the general intention is.

It's going to be very interesting to see what this does for software sales. It's clear that sales form XBOX + PC weren't enough for the games they were making but are PS (and to a lesser degree Switch) going to help here? For some games maybe...
Hi-Fi Rush should get a huge boost on Switch, along with Rare titles like Rare Replay and Sea of Thieves. Plus the normal Call of Duty and Halo boost. I'm intrigued to see how Forza Horizon and Gears do on other platforms though.

This...could also DESTROY any legs the series X has. Any hope of it even matching the Xbox One's sales may be done now

I don’t think it could ever match the Xbox One’s sales even if they didn’t do multi plat games

Would Microsoft actually stop producing consoles? I get that they're a loss leader for selling software (except Game Pass is also a loss leader?), though one could still argue ancillary benefits from a major product line tied to the brand that can move accessories etc. Like, they already committed to putting everything on Windows anyway, idk how much this alters the fundamentals of that deal. Without the box their brand is just "X," and we all know how that goes.

My hot take is that this is just going to make it easier for games to underperform. If they're bringing their games to PS5 or even Switch/Switch 2 at all, they should release them everywhere on the same day
I don't think so. I think it could lead to interest in the game lasting longer than it normally would or restarting. It comes out on an Xbox system with plenty of interest. Most sales are front loaded and then 6 months later it comes to the Switch 2 or PS5 and gets reinvigorated interest. It's a win win especially with the Switch 2 cause of the handheld mobility. People double dip all the time.

And what's to stop Microsoft from putting their games on sale the day it comes out on the other systems? There are plenty of times when I'm reminded of a good game when it comes to the switch and then I look it up and see it's prices elsewhere and buy the cheapest version.

I actually expected it that both Microsoft and Sony were going to focus more and more on other platforms to sell their games. The budgets of today's AAA games are massive and with the limited installed base of consoles, it is getting harder and harder to even break even in terms of profitability. These days it is necessary for every AAA game to sell several million copies to make any profit. This is not sustainable in the long run.

Microsoft and Sony originally decided to make their games available for PC in addition to consoles, but since then they have also decided to make some of their own first-party games available on other platforms as well.

Microsoft, for example, decided to bring Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice to the Nintendo Switch even after developer Ninja Theory was acquired. Then again, Microsoft had an earlier history of releasing games with their own IPs on Nintendo handhelds (Zoo Tycoon, Viva Piñata, ... even HALO DS was in development at one point). But for the Activision-Blizzard-King acquisition to succeed, Microsoft was obliged to keep certain franchises like Call of Duty multiplatform. That Xbox also releases its games on Playstation, however, is a very recent development.

Sony's MLB The Show franchise recently became available on Xbox and Nintendo Switch, after they risked losing the license. Sony also acquired developer Bungie specifically with the goal of making multiplatform games. Marathon will also be released on Xbox.

I believe that within not too long Sony and Microsoft will both make just about all of their first-party IPs fully multiplatform. You already can't really say that both current-gen consoles have exclusive games, but I expect further steps to be taken in the near future to become even more multiplatform. That seems very logical to me, with the current state of the AAA games industry. After all, the vast majority of games that are successful on the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series S/X are third-party games. Both Sony and Microsoft will continue to make hardware, though.

Xbox One having worse consequences for Microsoft than the Wii U did for Nintendo is pretty wild.
It is weird. All the talks of Nintendo should go third party during the era but it turns out MS were the ones who would take the plunge first.

I can't see even rumors of this NOT tanking Series X and S sales. Why would anyone bother if not for Gamepass? And Gamepass hasn't moved the needle AT ALL. (Despite being a bloody INCREDIBLE deal.)

Xbox One having worse consequences for Microsoft than the Wii U did for Nintendo is pretty wild.
Because Nintendo competes with themselves and have the IPs to bounce back. Microsoft doesn't or didn't. I don't think Microsoft understood why the 360 did well lmao.

I'm also surprised MS couldn't wait until half a gen or 1.5 gens in. some of the games they announced long ago have a release period of 2024 and 2025 now and it's mostly stuff from some of their best studios too they couldn't wait to see that bear fruit I guess.

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but acquisitions and being shameless are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being honorable. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is multi-plattforming.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Indiana Jones for either system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel the multiplattform-stragety or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I'm also surprised MS couldn't wait until half a gen or 1.5 gens in. some of the games they announced long ago have a release period of 2024 and 2025 now and it's mostly stuff from some of their best studios too they couldn't wait to see that bear fruit I guess.
after the ABK purchase, I'm sure Bethesda made the biggest stink imaginable about not being on PS5

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but acquisitions and being shameless are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being honorable. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is multi-plattforming.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Indiana Jones for either system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel the multiplattform-stragety or you can kiss your business goodbye.
what????

edit: oh it's a copypasta....oops

Last edited:
See, unless a major publication corroborates these rumors like an IGN or a Bloomberg, I don't think Microsoft will rush to put out a statement tomorrow or ahead of their internal schedule.

See, unless a major publication corroborates these rumors like an IGN or a Bloomberg, I don't think Microsoft will rush to put out a statement tomorrow or ahead of their internal schedule.
The way today is going, they'll put out an article in 30 minutes.

after the ABK purchase, I'm sure Bethesda made the biggest stink imaginable about not being on PS5
how the hell did we get these kinds of news before seeing ABK games on Game Pass

all I wanted for 2024 was to see some Xbox announced games to have 2024 release dates and ABK games on the service. that's all I wanted. I was just waiting for the latter. I didn't ask for this extra stuff. I hate this year

Okay let me pitch a possibility of how Xbox can salvage the hardware situation and anyone with more knowledge on the tech side of things tell me if my idea is valid or not

They should let end users install Windows 11 onto existing Xbox Series consoles and turn them into fixed-spec Windows Gaming PCs that have an Xbox UI front end for controller-based navigation, but also you can install whatever you like on them because they’re Windows machines, including Steam and Steam games. Similar to a Steam Deck, where it is just a Linux computer under the hood, but it has a Steam front end to make it feel more console-like.

Going forward, they can continue the Xbox brand by making small form-factor gaming PCs for the TV/living room and branding them Xbox. All of your Xbox purchases carry forward, but also you can play just about any Windows game on it as well.

Would that work?
This is what the Xbox machines would become the moment Microsoft confirmed their stuff was heading to everything else, a sideshow.

It reads like it's imminent, with the recent massive deals for Xbox S|X, Microsoft's latest earning calls and now this rainfall of rumors; it just makes sense, but who knows, they'll clarify matters in due time.

It wouldn't really have an impact on anybody unless Micro decided to definitively lift support for the consoles, but that is just so doubtful that I almost feel comfortable deeming it impossible. They will keep being supported with or without extra Micro perks (like Windows, as you mentioned) at the very least for the next several years.

Kinda sad for the sake of competitiveness and the traditional way of trying out games, but the video game landscape will be completely different in 10 years, and Microsoft looks like is gearing up towards it in one way or another.

Well, Nintendo did not spend 70 freaking billion dollars for a gaming acquisition while trying to keep their console afloat.

how the hell did we get these kinds of news before seeing ABK games on Game Pass

all I wanted for 2024 was to see some Xbox announced games to have 2024 release dates and ABK games on the service. that's all I wanted. I was just waiting for the latter. I didn't ask for this extra stuff. I hate this year
FR!

What is Microsoft waiting for lmao

If this happens I guess I’ll just sell my Series S to fund my Switch 2 if Xbox games are gonna go multiplat

I don’t know the first thing about game development, but weren’t Bethesda working on a PS5 Starfield game? I imagine they have some stuff that would be more easily pushed over the finish line.

Can't believe Microsoft spent countless billions acquiring Bethesda and Activision only for nothing to change - only than accelerating the irrelevancy of the Xbox brand. Yikes! I guess Nintendo and Sony actually understood how the gaming market worked after all!

I don’t know the first thing about game development, but weren’t Bethesda working on a PS5 Starfield game? I imagine they have some stuff that would be more easily pushed over the finish line.
word is Sony tried to cop it for a temp exclusive but MS ended up buying Bethesda. it's also been said that Pete Hines had some words for Phil about exclusivity after ABK was acquired

I think the legal issues with buying ABK put a lot of that on hold

Sure, but we're already seeing that in an industry that still has Microsoft in it with $70 games. Not sure what more they can do to squeeze more profit out of us beyond that.
Why were games still $60 or less in the first place for so long? Competition. Devs feared people would buy cheaper games rather than pricier ones. Without competition that would have happened sooner. We know from internal discussions from Take 2, that there is "little resistance" to $70 titles for most day 1 purchasers and that has been the case for a while. Companies like making more money. They didn't just magically think its time to charge more, they have metrics and knew people would pay it.

You lack imagination. The industry can and will eventually do worse than game prices trailing inflation. $80-90 games, worse monetization, pay to win, games split in half for multiple releases, increased subscription prices, mandated subscriptions to play single players games, no longer selling consoles at a loss at launch, unskippple ads in games, digital only licenses, no pre owned goods, less or no sales.

I don't meant to be alarmist, Don't get me wrong it wont all happen over night, much of this may never come. But the companies will dip their toes in the water. Its harder to try this when you have a direct competitor who can take some marketshare if they decide not to.

Nothing is truly off the table when their is little competition, as long as enough consumers put up with it, which enough will. The market will find its new equilibrium without Microsoft selling hardware. That new level will be worse for consumers.

Thankfully games don't have inelastic demand (well you would think, but they sell pretty surprisingly well economic downturns), you can live without games, they are a luxury, so little of this really matters.

Back
Top Bottom