• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Xbox First Party going third party/multiplat - Discussing and Summary Thread (UPDATE: 4 Xbox exclusives are coming to Nintendo Switch and PS5)

Starfield rumors are back on the menu

This is now the second time I've seen this user referenced. Do they have credibility or did they just show up out of nowhere and are currently unproven?

Obligatory post requesting Forza Horizon and Halo on the Switch.
Obligatory

scruffy-futurama.gif

This is now the second time I've seen this user referenced. Do they have credibility or did they just show up out of nowhere and are currently unproven?

Obligatory

scruffy-futurama.gif
Sorry for the double post but this user is saying Ghost of Tsushima will be announced for pc tomorrow. If that’s the case then starfield is indeed coming to ps5.

Sorry for the double post but this user is saying Ghost of Tsushima will be announced for pc tomorrow. If that’s the case then starfield is indeed coming to ps5.
Ah, thank you for the clarification!

Just seemed strange I hadn't heard of them before and yet everyone was taking their word as gospel 😅

Yeah the ResetEra thread about this got locked, don't think we should put too much stock into this person at the moment.

Obligatory

scruffy-futurama.gif
Sorry for the double reply but to update, that user got Ghost of Tsushima pc today right, just got announced.

Seems like starfield on ps5 could very well be happening if their track record continues

Sorry for the double reply but to update, that user got Ghost of Tsushima pc today right, just got announced.

Seems like starfield on ps5 could very well be happening if their track record continues

Not directly related, but if it's the same Twitter account we're talking about, this also means Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster for all console end of the year, cause they said that too. ^^

Not directly related, but if it's the same Twitter account we're talking about, this also means Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster for all console end of the year, cause they said that too. ^^
There were two Twitter accounts mentioning that and GoT. This account specifically mentioned starfield on ps5 after the four Xbox games were announced.

Definitely can’t wait to try FFT for the first time

Guess they'll wait until June or later State of Play to announce Starfield?

Please not another "we'll discuss the future of Xbox next week" ffs.

Well then, guess everyone is looking at silknigth like

31255209.gif

I think there is a world in the multiverse in which instead of pouring tons of dollars for 25 years with mixed results, to finally become a publisher what they could have been from the beginning, Microsoft chose instead to buy Sega, to save the Dreamcast and do something positive for the industry for once.

I mean, before they even launched the Xbox they’ve literally been obsessed with Nintendo for a quarter of a century while Nintendo doesn’t give a shit about them, but it never occurred to them to come to the rescue of Sega when it would have made a ton of sense for many reasons.

Sega also has American roots, and in terms of know-how in video games, with the quality of its intellectual property and the richness of its catalog, it had everything to match the needs of Microsoft which was launching on the market. But of course, Microsoft only became interested in Sega when it was too late and Sega was no longer a console manufacturer.

I think there is a world in the multiverse in which instead of pouring tons of dollars for 25 years with mixed results, to finally become a publisher what they could have been from the beginning, Microsoft chose instead to buy Sega, to save the Dreamcast and do something positive for the industry for once.

I mean, before they even launched the Xbox they’ve literally been obsessed with Nintendo for a quarter of a century while Nintendo doesn’t give a shit about them, but it never occurred to them to come to the rescue of Sega when it would have made a ton of sense for many reasons.

Sega also has American roots, and in terms of know-how in video games, with the quality of its intellectual property and the richness of its catalog, it had everything to match the needs of Microsoft which was launching on the market. But of course, Microsoft only became interested in Sega when it was too late and Sega was no longer a console manufacturer.

I mean... This isn't really true though, is it.

Microsoft partnered with Sega to include a Windows CE layer in the Dreamcast operating software. When the Dreamcast finally bit the dust, they poached a number of individuals from Sega including Peter Moore to head up the Xbox branch. They actively partnered with Sega to get a number of their post-Dreamcast games as Xbox games and even exclusives: Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, the Otogi games... Accord to Wiki, the two companies formed a strategic business alliance that covered development of 11 different games for Xbox.

Microsoft was literally one of Sega's most important partners following their move to becoming a third party publisher. The two had a business relationship going back years. Microsoft was definitely aware of and interested in Sega

I mean... This isn't really true though, is it.

Microsoft partnered with Sega to include a Windows CE layer in the Dreamcast operating software. When the Dreamcast finally bit the dust, they poached a number of individuals from Sega including Peter Moore to head up the Xbox branch. They actively partnered with Sega to get a number of their post-Dreamcast games as Xbox games and even exclusives: Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, the Otogi games... Accord to Wiki, the two companies formed a strategic business alliance that covered development of 11 different games for Xbox.

Microsoft was literally one of Sega's most important partners following their move to becoming a third party publisher. The two had a business relationship going back years. Microsoft was definitely aware of and interested in Sega
As you say very well, 'post' Dreamcast. I’m just saying that since Microsoft wanted to get into game consoles, and since they always liked to buy everything that moves, it would have been interesting for them to buy Sega at that time. We are in pure fiction of course.

I've read way, way too many Peter Moore horror stories to know how that would've went.

Microsoft would approach SEGA of America. SEGA of America would've went to SEGA of Japan. SEGA of Japan would've told both SoA and Microsoft to fuck off.

It's interesting to fantasize about how MS could've saved SEGA without the realization that SEGA's divine lack of communication between their branches is what contributed to their downfall.

I've read way, way too many Peter Moore horror stories to know how that would've went.

Microsoft would approach SEGA of America. SEGA of America would've went to SEGA of Japan. SEGA of Japan would've told both SoA and Microsoft to fuck off.

It's interesting to fantasize about how MS could've saved SEGA without the realization that SEGA's divine lack of communication between their branches is what contributed to their downfall.
You're probably right. We're in the realm of the hypothetical and fictional anyway.

I wonder, though, whether we can really assume with any certainty what a proper takeover offer would have looked like in this rather extreme situation where not only is Sega forced to withdraw from the console manufacturing business, but the company is then bought out anyway by Sammy, Now, yes, maybe Sega's management preferred Sammy to Microsoft anyway.

Last edited:

Microsoft probably wanted to take over Nintendo because then they would have access to all Nintendo IP and could release consoles with Nintendo branding, which is much stronger than the Xbox brand today still in the gaming space. If Microsoft were able to release Nintendo consoles in markets like Europe their market share compared to today would skyrocket in the European market.

It's probably been said in here but you are going to see a lot, LOT more Switch support from MS when the Switch 2 drops. I just cannot see them skipping out on what is the sequel to the biggest console on the market right now specs be damned.

Back
Top Bottom