• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Xbox First Party going third party/multiplat - Discussing and Summary Thread (UPDATE: 4 Xbox exclusives are coming to Nintendo Switch and PS5)

Today we are announcing that four fan-favorite Xbox games will be coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony platforms this spring. The studios that built these celebrated games have drawn on their multi-platform experience to open the worlds they created to even more players and communities.

• Pentiment from Obsidian Entertainment, a truly unique, critically acclaimed, and award-winning narrative adventure game with a striking visual style inspired by history itself will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on February 22.
  • Hi-Fi RUSH, the award-winning and beloved rhythm-based action game where the world syncs to the music from Tango Gameworks/Bethesda Softworks will be coming to PlayStation 5 on March 19 at midnight UTC, with pre-purchase available on PlayStation 5 digital storefronts on February 21.
  • Grounded – also from Obsidian Entertainment – a co-op survival adventure phenomenon that has welcomed 20 million players into the backyard, will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on April 16. Cross play will be supported across Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC.
  • Sea of Thieves, the shared world adventure game from Rare, will be coming to PlayStation 5 on April 30 – and will be available to wishlist by PlayStation 5 players starting tomorrow, February 22. Having built a passionate community of more than 35 million players from around the world, the support of cross play for Xbox, PlayStation and PC will allow players to experience epic pirate adventures with friends on more platforms.

@Meelow Threadmark?

Oh, Pentiment and Grounded are also coming to PS5. PS5 gets all four but Switch only 2. That's what you get when you're this old...
to be fair the decrepit elderly Switch does also get cool oldschool Rare games shadowdropped tho... there's a fair balance here imo

Kind of funny that after years of people talking about how Microsoft and Nintendo have a close relationship, it's Playstation that ends up geting the most benefits lol
if nintendo could hurry up with the Switch 2 they probably would get the most and also the NSO games and Goldeneye and smash bros so they are still close

Kind of funny that after years of people talking about how Microsoft and Nintendo have a close relationship, it's Playstation that ends up geting the most benefits lol
Tbh, Playstation still hasn't got those two Ori games. As of now, it's a tie.

Really this shouldn't have been all that complicated. They could have just said hey if you want to play Call of Duty or w/e then buy an Xbox, fuck off Sony.
Were they to say that, it's much less likely they'd have been able to buy Call of Duty in the first place.

Probably not for too long. I bet Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush are releasing on Switch 2 either at launch, or in the first few months.

You should know at this point as to why half of them isn't coming to Switch at this point. Hell as much as I love my Switch, one of the announcements proves exactly why.

the banned reporter says Hifi Rush is coming to Switch 2 as their sources told.
Seriously doubt Tango got the successor devkits, maybe they'll get them after the reveal. The successor should have the most strictest NDA's possible, so it's impossible for the banned source to leak something like this.

Phil talking as if they didn't buy Bethesda and make exclusives in recent memory.
Eww LRG.
Need a good 60 fps for Hi-Fi rush so switch 2 makes sense.

Seriously doubt Tango got the successor devkits, maybe they'll get them after the reveal. The successor should have the most strictest NDA's possible, so it's impossible for the banned source to leak something like this.
Third party devs are 100% getting successor devkits, I don't think Nintendo cares at all if a studio is owned by Xbox. Why would they? Xbox is trying to put their critically-acclaimed GOTY contender on their new system that Nintendo wants to be successful.

I don't think they'd say "not right now, please wait till March for the reveal. Okay we had to delay that, please wait till June then you can get started!"

Third party devs are 100% getting successor devkits, I don't think Nintendo cares at all if a studio is owned by Xbox. Why would they? Xbox is trying to put their critically-acclaimed GOTY contender on their new system that Nintendo wants to be successful.

I don't think they'd say "not right now, please wait till March for the reveal. Okay we had to delay that, please wait till June then you can get started!"
Yeah they really would say that. Nintendo is insane about new console launch leaks, they usually have the strictest NDA's in the world. The Nintendo distributor in my country was once invited to New 3DS pre-announcement event and they said "we thought they were gonna shoot us for a second". Yeah, that was for a hardware revision not a new console. And we're talking about something that's very easy to leak, from a new studio isn't known to make games for Nintendo. That 4 Xbox games going multiplat has already been leaked by a lot of people.

But there's nothing to worry about, even they get the devkits after the reveal, there should be enough time to port it before the launch.

I am frankly surprised that Sea of Thieves is not on the Nintendo Switch. The game has lower minimum specs on PC than Grounded, if I remember correctly.

Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves not coming to Switch is probably the final push I needed to buy a Steam Deck. I might just sell my Switch in the meantime, there's not much releasing for it this year that I'm interested in (even with the rumors, it's pretty much Prime 4 and the Zelda ports, and neither of those are guaranteed).

Damn. I was really looking forward to playing Hi-Fi on Switch.

I am frankly surprised that Sea of Thieves is not on the Nintendo Switch. The game has lower minimum specs on PC than Grounded, if I remember correctly.
Grounded is an offline game while Sea of Thieves is basically a MMO (not that massive though). Not a great idea to release MMO's on handheld, it'd need a stable connection at all times. They might have thought it's not worth all the porting costs.

Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves not coming to Switch is probably the final push I needed to buy a Steam Deck. I might just sell my Switch in the meantime, there's not much releasing for it this year that I'm interested in (even with the rumors, it's pretty much Prime 4 and the Zelda ports, and neither of those are guaranteed).

Damn. I was really looking forward to playing Hi-Fi on Switch.
Just to be sure I understand, you want to sell your Switch and buy a Steam Deck to play those two games, when everyone sort of expects a Switch 2 with those two games to come out sometime within the next 13 months?

You could, you know, buy a Series S, pay for a month or two of Gamepass, play some games on your TV, and then sell the Series S. I don't know where you are, but buying and selling used on craigslist or Facebook Marketplace can be a reasonable thing. You may even make a small profit in the exchanges.

Grounded is an offline game while Sea of Thieves is basically a MMO (not that massive though). Not a great idea to release MMO's on handheld, it'd need a stable connection at all times. They might have thought it's not worth all the porting costs.
Oh, I didn't know Grounded was an offline game. I thought it was mainly an online game.

Just to be sure I understand, you want to sell your Switch and buy a Steam Deck to play those two games, when everyone sort of expects a Switch 2 with those two games to come out sometime within the next 13 months?

You could, you know, buy a Series S, pay for a month or two of Gamepass, play some games on your TV, and then sell the Series S. I don't know where you are, but buying and selling used on craigslist or Facebook Marketplace can be a reasonable thing. You may even make a small profit in the exchanges.
It's not just those two games, my post was kinda misleading and a little dramatic. There's plenty of games I want to play but I can't because they're not on Switch. Baldur's Gate 3, Final Fantasy, Spider-Man, Hi-Fi Rush, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, a lot of indie games, etc. It's just the fact that these two could have given me a cheap reason to keep my Switch. There's really nothing I'm interested in coming this year.

I couldn't get a Series S if I wanted to, I don't have my own TV and will be moving around a lot between jobs. I'm currently playing portable Switch OLED only.

Last edited:
It's not just those two games, my pst was kinda misleading and a little dramatic. There's plenty of games I want to play but I can't because they're not on Switch. Baldur's Gate 3, Final Fantasy, Spider-Man, Hi-Fi Rush, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, a lot of indie games, etc. It's just the fact that these two could have given me a cheap reason to keep my Switch. There's really nothing I'm interested in coming this year.

I couldn't get a Series S if I wanted to, I don't have my own TV and will be moving around a lot between jobs. I'm currently playing portable Switch OLED only.
Reasonable enough. The moving and not wanting to move a TV around is reasonable. I have a Steam Deck and it is pretty great. Also, just to square the circle, this thing also exists - https://a.co/d/bHZni77 - but again, I don't know if you're in the US or elsewhere and what moving for you means. Switch and Steam Deck are both pretty ideal for commutes.

It's not just those two games, my post was kinda misleading and a little dramatic. There's plenty of games I want to play but I can't because they're not on Switch. Baldur's Gate 3, Final Fantasy, Spider-Man, Hi-Fi Rush, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, a lot of indie games, etc. It's just the fact that these two could have given me a cheap reason to keep my Switch. There's really nothing I'm interested in coming this year.

Baldur's Gate barely runs on a Steam Deck, so you won't playing that

Yeah they really would say that. Nintendo is insane about new console launch leaks, they usually have the strictest NDA's in the world. The Nintendo distributor in my country was once invited to New 3DS pre-announcement event and they said "we thought they were gonna shoot us for a second". Yeah, that was for a hardware revision not a new console. And we're talking about something that's very easy to leak, from a new studio isn't known to make games for Nintendo. That 4 Xbox games going multiplat has already been leaked by a lot of people.

But there's nothing to worry about, even they get the devkits after the reveal, there should be enough time to port it before the launch.
No disrespect at all, but imo there's a lot of conjecture and assumptions in the reasoning here (regarding Nintendo's behaviors and timeline), and I just fall on the other side of it.

We can be reasonably sure Capcom has kits. What's the difference between Capcom and Tango?

When they said "Just four games! Then we'll see what happens!" I figured the four games would be all we'd see for maybe this year. But nope, these are all IMMINENT. Are we really supposed to believe they don't already have some things lined up for the latter 2/3 of the year?
You should know at this point as to why half of them isn't coming to Switch at this point.
Hi-Fi Rush didn't have an Xbox One version at all, so I believe. Grounded and Sea of Thieves have near-identical spec requirements on PC, and lower than some other big notables that have had Switch versions, so I definitely believe both of them were feasible--just one they decided was more worth bothering with in the 11th hour.

The game was recently verified for it, so it runs well enough to play. And being able to play it at all is the point.
The verification system is pretty bad. I've seen a number of verified games that are unplayable on it, while a bunch of ones labeled unsupported have zero issues. Total crapshoot

We can be reasonably sure Capcom has kits. What's the difference between Capcom and Tango?
Tango is not a studio close to Nintendo, in fact, they're owned by the rival company. Nintendo may not trust a studio they know nothing about. And they'd be right, Hi-Fi Rush PS5 port got already leaked.

BG3 runs at 20 FPS in Act 3 on the Steam Deck due to severe CPU issues due to high NPC counts and constant environment effects. While the Switch 2 CPU may be stronger than the Steam Deck CPU (and maybe by a good margin), it will likely be a decent chunk weaker than the PS5 CPU which still can only run the last third of the game at 30 FPS.

A ton of CPU optimizations have been introduced in the last several years across many engines, so it's possible Larian could introduce those into their engine to dramatically improve CPU performance to get the Switch 2 version to 30 FPS and thus in a releasable state, but they also may not bother since their audience is overwhelmingly on PC and because it may be difficult to implement some of these optimizations.

Tango is not a studio close to Nintendo, in fact, they're owned by the rival company. Nintendo may not trust a studio they know nothing about. And they'd be right, Hi-Fi Rush PS5 port got already leaked.
Agree to disagree. No worries. I think we can both agree we can’t wait for this console!

There's no reason to believe that Tango (or whoever is working on the port) wouldn't have dev kits. Same with Henderson somehow being magically blocked from leaking Switch 2 stuff lol

Playing a rythym game like that at 30 fps would probably be kind of poopy anyways. Just let it be one of those "Remember this game from 6 years ago? Now it's on Switch 2!" kinds of games that Switch also gets all the time.

I didn't know there was an Age of Empires event tomorrow. Maybe we can get a 5th game? The Definitive Edition? Does Age of Empires even count as a Xbox title? Nintendo got AoE games in the past, two of them to be exact.

Back
Top Bottom