• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Triangle Strategy — Pre-release Discussion Thread: Final Trailer and Demo out NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingNo.

Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
Pronouns
He/Him
triangle-strategy-header

This is the home for everything Triangle Strategy until its release in March 2022.

Triangle Strategy, originally revealed as Project Triangle Strategy in the February 2021 Nintendo Direct, is an SRPG in the veins of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. It reuses Octopath Traveler's HD-2D art style.

Team Asano's latest project will be released on Nintendo Switch, 2022/03/04.
A demo is available now on Nintendo eShop.

Reveal trailer:

Release date trailer:

TGS 2021 trailer:

Last edited:
This is be a day one for me for sure, I generally really like what the Team Asano production unit have been cooking up at Square over the last few years and big fan of FFT. Hopefully there's a good level of grey to the decisions you're presented with. I'm probably not the only one who always feels obligated to play hero and pick the most obviously good decisions lol so situations that really make me sweat or subvert what I think on the surface were good decisions would be awesome.

That new trailer is really cool!

To me, obviously the visuals are a big draw as someone who fell in love with Octopath Traveler the moment they showed the first glimpses of it. But it's so much more than that. The premise of your own decisions having a major impact on the development and outcome of the story is what really does it for me.
The fact that all of this is Team Asano's doing is just the icing on the cake, and 2022 can not come soon enough.

Last edited:
SE showed a new trailer today at their TGS show

Dear GOD. The art direction in this game. I could look at those portraits and walk around those environments all day. Also, dat music. I liked the English VA in the demo, but it would be cool to have the option to JP VA in the final version.

Not sure if I will be grabbing day one given how it is only ~2 weeks after Horizon which is ~2 weeks after Pokemon Arceus, but I am really excited for this game. I never finished all of Octopath Traveler's story lines but I had a great time with it none the less.

Day 1.

I fell in love with Octopath the moment I saw it, and spent way too much time and effort beating Galdera.

It's almost a dream come true to see that same team make a tactics game. They're really carving out a special place for RPGs on the Switch.

I love the look of this game, but I've never played a tactics RPG before. I need to play the demo before I can commit.

The soundtrack for this game is phenominal. Gameplay is just up my alley, played the Demo twice even. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

I've been holding off on playing too much of the demo, but I think I'll collapse soon and replay it endlessly before release

What everyone else is saying (soundtrack, gameplay, visuals, all amazing), but that's given for something that takes so heavily from Octopath

I'm really curious to see how the branching mechanic plays out since even the glimpse we saw in the demo seemed to drastically change the direction of the plot.

Yeah there would have to be an insane amount of routes/differences if all of the choices lead to differences as major as the one in the demo

I've been holding off on playing too much of the demo, but I think I'll collapse soon and replay it endlessly before release
I only played it halfway through and I won't cave.

Preordered the special edition earlier.

Asano never misses(we don't talk about Various Daylife)

I’m going in blind. I just need some more strategy games on my life.

Ok but you can probably come up with a better counterpoint than the game's one good character face (I actually think BD2's artstyle and design is good to fantastic in all areas except character faces)

I liked what I saw but fuck Triangle Strategy is an even worse name than Bravely Second lol

If you think about it, Final Fantasy is a dumb name as well. Especially after, what, 15 numbered main line entries, not counting X-II, XIII-II and XIII-III.

I've slightly updated the OP and added a link to the Demo survey results, where the developers outline changes they made based on player feedback.

I don't understand how people like this artstyle. It feels like they made some decent pixel art then threw every UE4 shader at it to come up with this butt-uglyness.

The gameplay itself looks great still, that being said. I just wish the artstyle was better

I'm really curious to see how the branching mechanic plays out since even the glimpse we saw in the demo seemed to drastically change the direction of the plot.
I guess it’s going to be something like Tactics Ogre’s wheel of fortune.

happy that Nintendo is having such good and different support from companies like Atlus and Square. I prefer these unique projects developed with the Switch in mind over the usual capped ports from games that were on PS4 and Xone.

Please release another Demo. This is a game I’m really looking forward too. But at least it’s so close, thought it was gonna be late spring to summer or something when it first was revealed.

Please release another Demo. This is a game I’m really looking forward too. But at least it’s so close, thought it was gonna be late spring to summer or something when it first was revealed.
I'm pretty sure they will have a final demo closer to release, like they did with BD2.

Octopath Traveler had 2 demos to, I'd be very very surprised if there isnt another demo for TS in the ~february direct.

Very much looking forward to this one, after Dread this is my next Nintendo published title

The game continus to look great. Though I'm still 50/50 on buying it or not. The demo battle in the bridge was a bit of a drag because of how slow movement was during it. Their probably is a battle speed button that I missed or they may at it later on, but that would be a must before buying in my case. The gameplay has at least been streamlined per the Direct trailer so that's a good start.

I don't understand how people like this artstyle. It feels like they made some decent pixel art then threw every UE4 shader at it to come up with this butt-uglyness.

The gameplay itself looks great still, that being said. I just wish the artstyle was better
It looks great to me. The sprite work and detail is top-notch. I don't really get the complaint about shaders, it fits with the style perfectly fine. I guess I'd have to see a comparison without it to see if it'd be better, but I have no problems with it as is.

I sincerely hope this game is taking cues from asoiaf, rather than Got.

Either way, I expect it will be way better than a standard maguffin chase ala Xeno series.

I wonder if we're going to get a new demo that's been updated to reflect the feedback from the first demo before the game launches. I have the first demo downloaded but never played it, and seeing some of the changes that stemmed from feedback (dialogue auto-play, camera control, not being kicked to the world map after an event, etc.) is making me want to wait for something that's a little more reflective of the final product in terms of QoL.

Game does look really good though.

I wonder if we're going to get a new demo that's been updated to reflect the feedback from the first demo before the game launches. I have the first demo downloaded but never played it, and seeing some of the changes that stemmed from feedback (dialogue auto-play, camera control, not being kicked to the world map after an event, etc.) is making me want to wait for something that's a little more reflective of the final product in terms of QoL.

Game does look really good though.
They did just that for Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default II, so I'd be surprised if we didn‘t get a second demo.
Just don't expect it anytime soon. I'd say around a month or two before release, if their former practices are anything to go by.

In order to send Square-Enix the message that all the Tactics must come back, I am pretty much obligated to purchase this game.

There has got to be a Collector's Edition for the US market as well right?

In order to send Square-Enix the message that all the Tactics must come back, I am pretty much obligated to purchase this game.

There has got to be a Collector's Edition for the US market as well right?
Afaik they haven't announced a CE for NA, no.

I want this to be even more popular than Octopath. I want more tactical RPGs. It's the only reason I want to play this game.

HAHA, as I was typing this. When you say "all the Tactics", you of course also mean Tactics Ogre and, to a lesser extent, Ogre Battle? #LettheQuestContinue #BasedMatsuno

Can’t wait for this, loved the demo and the reaction to feedback, making the battlefield a bit easier to read, is spot-on.

I want this to be even more popular than Octopath. I want more tactical RPGs. It's the only reason I want to play this game.

HAHA, as I was typing this. When you say "all the Tactics", you of course also mean Tactics Ogre and, to a lesser extent, Ogre Battle? #LettheQuestContinue #BasedMatsuno

Yessir 😀

Tactics Ogre first and foremost. I'd be pleased if they remastered the PSP version and released it on everything.

Knight of Lodis, Ogre Battle, Person Of Lordly Calibur. SE please hook em all up. 🙏

Final Fantasy Tactics and its spin-offs as well!

At least with FF Tactics, last Ive heard it is indeed incoming as a remaster.

Don't mind me, just thinking about all the triangles I will be strategising next year.

The music in the demo is a blast and surprisingly meaty (~ 3 hours of BGM tracks in total for a demo, jfc!). Hopefully Akira Senju will deliver more tracks in the final release.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom