• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Triangle Strategy — Pre-release Discussion Thread: Final Trailer and Demo out NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man this game really throws a bunch of different names and terms at you from the jump. I can barely remember the MC's name and I'm supposed to know the Saintly Seven, the individual Kings and Lords, and all these side characters. Even FFXIII at least came with a glossary you could reference mid game.
Just do what I do and memorize: Saltiron. Because it sounds cool. Yeah. That'll get us through it.

Played a few chapters. I have to say this game is great. Lots of charming characters and locations. The graphics are top notch and the battles are fun. The music elevates it all to a higher level too. The full game will probably even surpass 3 houses for me.

A thing that I noticed is that the Italian names of the kingdoms are different from the English ones?
I played with the japanese dub so I didn't notice it but now that I'm looking for opinions online I saw all this different names lol.
How are the names in the other languages?

Last edited:
It took me about 5 hours but I've cleared the demo.

I'm gonna be honest, first impressions were not that great. The game is so wordy, dialogue goes on and on with little flair to make it memorable. However, I did appreciate how muted the delivery is, it gives the game a more grounded tone not unlike that of Radiant Historia. The demo does not bring the explosive intro that FE Awakening did, it did not grab me by the throat like that, but it did start to grow on me the more I played. I'm still not hooked but I could easily see reviews swaying me in its favor, I'm almost there.

Some notes on the characters:
-Serenoa is a himbo, and I'm never ever picking the Utility options. No thoughts, head empty, we're going with our hearts here.
-Frederica is probably the most interesting of the cast. Not really feeling welcome at home bc of fantasy racism but also thrust into a political marriage with a stranger to be used as a pawn; I'm curious to see what the game does with her arc. Also, she has the best VA.
-Roland, Dragan, and Thalas gave me fruity vibes. Idc if it's wishful thinking, I'm 100% buying the game if it delivers on that.
-Anna and Hughette are the best units. Have I mentioned how much I love their designs? Because I do.
-Speaking of designs, the game is not subtle about who the villains are. The only one to subvert expectations is Rudolph, and for that he is a favorite.
-I wish the game had character portraits during dialogue. I understand it's an artistic choice and you can click a button to see the art, I just don't agree it's the right move.

The one thing that really surprised me is the difficulty. The game is absolutely brutal, it took me a few goes to Chapter 3(Aesfrost) because of how easy it is to get overwhelmed and have your units picked off one by one.

The one thing that really surprised me is the difficulty. The game is absolutely brutal, it took me a few goes to Chapter 3(Aesfrost) because of how easy it is to get overwhelmed and have your units picked off one by one.
I hope the easy difficulty option is approachable enough for those who don't usually play (a lot of) strategy games but want to give this one a go.

Yeah, the Aesfrost battle demolished me on Hard

Took ne three attempts before I barely managed to skate by with only Hughette standing by the end. The game really expects you to make the most out of positioning and terrain, there’s no penalty for losing a unit for a reason

I played the demo, at first I didn't really like it because, as @Terraforce said, it throws you a bunch of names non-stop in the face, but at Chapter III (and after changing the VA to Japanese) it started to click. I might like it quite a bit if it doesn't drag on like Octopath did.

But still, as someone who memorizes faces much more easily than names, I think putting the faces of characters in the dialog boxes would make it much easier to follow, especially in a game who wants to be serious and kinda realistic on the character design as this one. Just let me enable something like that :

2project-triangle-strategy-demo-screenshot-23.jpg

Putting out the Prologue Demo was a bad idea because so much talk with too little action isn't how you pitch Triangle Strategy to potential buyers. Getting three chapters to play for free sounds meaty, except it's all table-setting and no tension. By the end of the third chapter we haven't gotten to open conflict yet, nor even an inciting incident that might lead to conflict.

Putting out the Debut Demo was a good idea because knowing of the eventual, possible fates awaiting Dragan, Roland, Frani, Cordelia, Maxwell and Regna - as well as the intrigue of recognizing places one has already seen turned into battlefields - is the one thing making the prologue less dull. The same dramatic irony is an added spice to look forward to on second, third and subsequent playthroughs of the full game.

Putting out the Prologue Demo was a good idea because concerns about the UI have been laid to rest.

Putting out the Debut Demo was a bad idea because, looking at my party composition, I fear I am firmly committed to a dark inevitable future not brightened by Dragan's drunken presence.

But really: What's up with the hidden cats?

I wonder if the story changes slightly. In the debut + prologue demo we saw
that Aesfrost invades Glenbrook. But we also get Corentin Jenner, the Ice Mage. Which you get early one when you decide to visit Hyzante. I wonder if you chose Aesfrost it ends up Hyzante invading instead

Interesting to see people saying the Aesfrost route was difficult. Hyzante I found pretty easy to complete.

This demo grabbed me much more than the last demo. Better to be able to get a sense of the storyline, progression mechanics, etc in addition to the core combat.

I played a few hours and handheld mode today and it looked totally fine? A bit soft, but nothing crazy.

Finished the demo yesterday and had a blast; I should have waited though since now the long wait till March 4th begins. Despite the complaints about the voice acting online I thought it was fine and I had no problems with the long story segments either. Also has anyone else noticed the robot character in the final trailer? You can see them around the 3:35 mark.

No, but I did spot art for a character that looks suspiciously like an older Tressa. Have they confirmed if this is a shared universe with OT?
Well it can't be an older Tressa, this game needs to take place 5 games before Octopath for my crack theory to be true

No, but I did spot art for a character that looks suspiciously like an older Tressa. Have they confirmed if this is a shared universe with OT?
There has been no confirmation of a shared universe, but I would love to see one.

I played the demo, at first I didn't really like it because, as @Terraforce said, it throws you a bunch of names non-stop in the face, but at Chapter III (and after changing the VA to Japanese) it started to click. I might like it quite a bit if it doesn't drag on like Octopath did.

But still, as someone who memorizes faces much more easily than names, I think putting the faces of characters in the dialog boxes would make it much easier to follow, especially in a game who wants to be serious and kinda realistic on the character design as this one. Just let me enable something like that :

2project-triangle-strategy-demo-screenshot-23.jpg
I feel it won't have the octopath issue as the pacing problem was because the story was so segmented and then it never changed its formula always cutscene walkthrough town cutscene then dungeon with no variation in how things went.

I feel it won't have the octopath issue as the pacing problem was because the story was so segmented and then it never changed its formula always cutscene walkthrough town cutscene then dungeon with no variation in how things went.
Tbh, isn't that also a legitimate fear for this game? I don't think it'll vary much from the setup of story -> wander around battle area/Scales of Conviction -> more story -> battle

Tbh, isn't that also a legitimate fear for this game? I don't think it'll vary much from the setup of story -> wander around battle area/Scales of Conviction -> more story -> battle
You can't do much more in a tactical RPG. You have maps and story segments and to be honest the interactive elements in the maps are pretty good and the exploration and story segments are pretty fun too. They can do a lot of things working with this template.

it never changed its formula always cutscene walkthrough town cutscene then dungeon with no variation in how things went.
I know this is a bit late, but I've been mulling over how to respond to this for a few days.

This is basically how pretty much every JRPG in the 90's was structured, just some masked it better that others. The entire game loop is built around going to a town, getting one or more quests, resolving the quests (usually involving a dungeon), moving onto the next town (possibly via another dungeon). Repeat ad nauseum until you reach the middle or end when the game opens up a bit with new travel options and you're suddenly running around freely.

Octopath absolutely does a worse job at hiding this because of the world and narrative design but at the core this is no different than the games it deliberately invokes.

I've decided for my first playthrough since I think Serenoa is boring, I'm gonna go with all the spicy and bold dialogue options. Although that might end up with me getting a Bad End ;)

I've decided for my first playthrough since I think Serenoa is boring, I'm gonna go with all the spicy and bold dialogue options. Although that might end up with me getting a Bad End ;)
I was thinking of doing the same thing for at least one play through. I say this like I'll have tons of time to play this over and over again.

Started the demo and it's impressed me a lot so far. I was afraid the focus on story would hurt my enjoyment since I don't usually put a huge emphasis on story but this game seems to be one of the exceptions. The story set up is pretty solid and the writing is great so far. It pulls off the "Western Fantasy novel" feel better than the few Western RPGs I've tried (and as an avid fantasy reader that works well for me). Don't even mind the English voices that much - they're not great, don't get me wrong, but they're solid enough and some performances are quite good.

The battle system is fun, the presentation is excellent as expected of the HD-2D branding, and yeah, overall, pretty excited for this one. It's still probably not going to take priority for me over Elden Ring but if my Steam Deck shows no sign of arriving by the time this game releases I might just play this first.

Really enjoyed the demo, but I honestly found it more enjoyable to turn off the English voices since some of them are not as great as I would like (Serenoa as an example). Surprisingly difficult battles, but I found the challenge refreshing.

Really enjoyed the demo, but I honestly found it more enjoyable to turn off the English voices since some of them are not as great as I would like (Serenoa as an example). Surprisingly difficult battles, but I found the challenge refreshing.
Octopath also was quite challenging in some parts. One of the best experiences was battling on of the shrine bosses for around 2 hours until I finally had the right strategy to win!

Octopath also was quite challenging in some parts. One of the best experiences was battling on of the shrine bosses for around 2 hours until I finally had the right strategy to win!
I also think Octopath had a good balance in difficulty, with the exception of the true final boss and the leadup to it. Absolutely frustrating, requires alot of grinding.

I think it goes without saying that spoilers/leaks should be kept out of this thread entirely.

If someone wants to discuss them, please do so in a dedicated thread.

Here are the details of the datamine in spoiler tags

Here are details of the datamine, no major plot details outside of routes and chapters and the like and two pictures of characters that seem a bit spoilery

There are 30 unique recruitable characters.
There are 4 routes.
There are 19 chapters per route for 3 routes, and 21 chapters for 1 routes.
The four routes are labeled R (Roland), F (Frederica), B (Benedict) and S (Serenoa). S is the one that's 21 chapters.
There are 48 unique battles across all routes.

Picture of the Hierophant

Recruitable Characters:
1. Serenoa 2. Roland 3. Benedict 4. Frederica 5. Geela 6. Anna 7. Hughette 8. Erador 9. Rudolph 10. Corentin 11. Julio 12. Dancer 13. Cordelia 14. Travis 15. Trish 16. Avlora 17. Barkeep 18. Wind Mage 19. Medina 20. Smithy 21. Maxwell 22. Archibald 23. Flanagan 24. Ezana 25. Lionel 26. Groma 27. Picoletta 28. Barrel 29. Unknown Mage from Jacket 30. Unknown Scythe from Jacket

Route split works like :
Chapter 1 x01 Chapter 2 x02 Chapter 3 split x03 / x04 Chapter 4 x05 Chapter 5 x06 Chapter 7 split x08 / x09 Chapter 8 A split x10 / x11 Chapter 8 B split x12 / x13 Chapter 9 split x14 / x15 Chapter 10 A split x16 / x17 Chapter 10 B split x18 / x19 Chapter 11 split x20 / x21 Chapter 12 split x22 / x23 Chapter 13 split x24 / x25 / x26 Chapter 14 split x27 / x28 / x29 Chapter 15 split x30 / x31 / x32 Chapter 16 x34 Chapter 17 B x35 Chapter 17 F x37 Chapter 17 R x36 Chapter 17 S x38 Chapter 18 B x39 Chapter 18 F x41 Chapter 18 R x40 Chapter 18 S x42 Chapter 19 B x43 Chapter 19 F x45 Chapter 19 R x44 Chapter 19 S x46 Chapter 20 S x47 Chapter 21 S x48
No plot details here, just the numbering system for the chapters and route splits

Another spoilery image, this time of Seranoa in Hyzante Saintly Seven Garb

Bah. Don’t think I’m going to be done with Octopath before this is out. But at least I made it to the post-game so that’s an accomplishment in itself I think right?

It's almost time for some strategical triangles, Fami!

ST will be up within the next 24 hours.

They Who Govern Reason is my favourite song! But I like the normal version a bit more.
I do agree that the battle/intense tracks are (generally) better in the original version. The concert has some incredible versions of the soft/slow songs however, this rendition of River of Life is sublime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom