• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

Yeah. I’m weirdly interested in the history of Nintendo on the movie world. Is Kid Icarus the flagship series in absence of Mario? And is Punch-Out Pizza owned by Little Mac or another character from the series, or is it just a boxing themed restaurant?
Also is this an open spoilers thread?

Because I do want to bring up Mario's extended family, knowing Spike at an early age, and baby Peach finding her way into the Mushroom Kingdom.

Also is this an open spoilers thread?

Because I do want to bring up Mario's extended family, knowing Spike at an early age, and baby Peach finding her way into the Mushroom Kingdom.
I assumed trailer material and non-plot relevant observations are okay, but yeah probably better to be safe.

Quoted by: SiG
I watched the movie last night, not perfect, but I had a big dumb grin on my face from the second the movie started, and that hasn't happened with me for a movie in a long, long while. Solid 8/10, loved the cameos, give me Mario 2, give me DK, Luigis Mansion, anything they have this much of a passion for would be a certified fun time in the theater. Only complaints were that Crankys voice wasnt too much to my liking, nit horrible though, and Luigi needed much more screentime, but the movie was pretty packed so I kind of get it. Maybe if/when DK and the kongs break off into their own movie line, there will be a lot more breathing room for the rest of the cast.

Saw the movie earlier and had a blast. It was a perfect Mario movie. I freaked out so many times in the theater, and my head was always banging to the masterpiece of a soundtrack.

My only critique is that I wish they had spent a little more time in Brooklyn. I felt like the film could have used an extra scene or two in that first act. Other than that I had basically no complaints.

Give me the sequel ASAP. I want more.

Did anyone see it in 4DX?

With reviews saying its high paced and basically an amusement park ride, I figure it'd be a fitting first 4DX experience for me lol

Iwata in the credits really hit me in waves. Melandadri said previously that the earliest discussions with Miyamoto were around 2015, the whole Universal Studios theme park partnership was announced just a 2 months before Iwata died, so it's possible he also still talked with Miyamoto and Meledandri about the movie in very very very early stages when nothing was decided.

Reggie in his book also referers to Furukawa as a Iwata's right hand man at the time he was sick so it's fitting that in the credits they are together.

I will post it here as well. Via reddit:

from box office theory:

34.7M, 44 overseas markets▪︎ top animated launch day ever in 11 markets including Germany, Spain, Argentina, Central America and Austria

MEXICO, 5.9M▪︎ the biggest debut for a Universal title ever and the second biggest animation opening day of all time, behind Toy Story 4

UNITED KINGDOM, 4.8M▪︎ the best animated opening day ever, biggest overall of 2023 and Universal’s top Wednesday of all time, ahead of both Fast 8 and No Time to Die

CHINA, 5.4M (Thursday number is not reflected in the 34.7M Wednesday number)▪︎ 4.7M Wednesday, 5.4M by Thursday▪︎ biggest opening day for a Hollywood animation since the start of the pandemic in 2020 as well as the second-biggest opening day for a studio title in 2023▪︎ 9.4 score on Maoyan is the best for an animated Hollywood title across the past five yea

GERMANY, 2.8M▪︎ Uni’s best opening day of all time and hit the same milestone for an animated title▪︎ best opening day since 2019’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker in the market and the second-biggest April opening day behind only Avengers: Endgame

SPAIN, 2.2M▪︎ the biggest animation opening day ever▪︎ in terms of admissions, the result overtakes Avatar: The Way of Water and Doctor Strange 2 to become the biggest opening day since the start of the pandemic, as well as the biggest April opening day ever (No. 2 in box office behind Avengers: Endgame)

FRANCE, 2.1M▪︎ biggest opening day of 2023, the second-best animation April opening behind Ice Age 2 and the best for Illumination — and without any school holidays▪︎ is playing into the start of school breaks which are spread across three regions for six weeks

ITALY, 1.4M▪︎ taking 70% of the market and dominating the competition▪︎ biggest opening day for an animated movie in spring, and for a video game adaptation

CENTRAL AMERICA, 1.3M▪︎ the second-biggest opening day ever behind Endgame and more than double Minions and the Despicable Me movies

TAIWAN, 1.1M▪︎ top animation opening day ever for both Illumination and Universal, as well as the biggest opening of a video game adaptation and biggest April animation

AUSTRALIA, 1.1M▪︎ best opening day of 2023, biggest ever for Illumination and top April debut ever

I assumed trailer material and non-plot relevant observations are okay, but yeah probably better to be safe.

Full disclosure: I watched the movie on April 5, yesterday, so yeah, I did want to talk about plot related stuff but I'll keep it in spoiler tags.

• The Brooklyn setting is nicely fleshed out considering I was expecting it to take place more in the Mushroom Kingdom. With that said, did breaking the huge valve that led to Mario & Luigi discovering the Warp Pipes solve the sewage main issue the city was facing? What even was causing it? (Was it the Yoshi egg from the post-credits teaser?)
  • I wish there was more Foreman Spike stuff. Not really possible considering the scope of the movie, but I like his depiction here. Could be a good way for Wario and Waluigi to get introduced in future movies/tie-ins.
  • Peach as baby finding her way to the Mushroom Kingdom does raise a lot of mystery and potential to introduce Rosalina as... Peach's mother? But I think the biggest potential would be for the introduction of Princess Daisy considering the upgrade Peach got to becoming a girl-boss.
  • Mario & Luigi's extended family was a nice surprise, and I wish it was more fleshed out as I kind of genuinely enjoy descovering Mario's heritage/ancestries at least through the lense of this movie. The fact that Mario originally doesn't like mushrooms was a pretty funny quirk.
  • I felt the use of other Nintendo property stuff was pretty restraint and tasteful. Aside from "Punch-Out Pizza", Mario playing Kid Icarus on NES and using the "I'm finished" losing screen to emphasize the whole "dragging him and his brother down with his new buisness venture" felt very on point and less of a "You get this reference, huh? Huh?" moment.
  • The highlight of the film for me is simply Mario & Luigi's relationship. Everything about this movie highlights this "Together we are invincible" dynamic, which is why Mario being a more low-key character instead of "the hero" really works in a lot of ways, particularly in the last scene where he's about to grab the power star and...
  • This feels pretty much a Luigi movie as much as a Mario movie and that's something I can really appreciate. I kind of wish he did more but they're already trying to squeeze in as much as they could here.
  • It does make kinda sense that the Mario Bros. remain plumbers who live in the Mushroom Kingdom as they wouldn't have to pay for property in NY.
  • I feels the trailers spoiled 2/3rds of the movies scenes. Really wish they didn't show Rainbow Road in the Direct, but I'm glad they kept that last 3rd a secret.
  • I never felt the runtime was too long. In fact, I feel like the movie doesn't overstay its welcome, which is a good thing.

Besides some really out of place music choices, I had a an absolute blast.

THAT SAID, the moment I got out the theater, I fucking KNEW there was gonna be an insane discourse about how 1993 MArio is the better movie because it tries something dfifferent.

I saw it yesterday and as I said upthread earlier, it was the movie I always wanted to see.
I can see why some critics didn't like it because it doesn't slow down to flesh out the characters, the movie assumes the audience already know them and simply puts a fresh coat of paint to re-affirm they are human plumbers from Brooklyn New York.

The musical cues, references to almost all the Mario games out there, and the visuals were the highlights. I was also surprised the storytelling in that the stakes kept increasing.

My big worry was
the Mario Kart sequence would be the big set-piece of the movie, but it turned out not to be, which was great because this isn't a Mario Kart movie, but a Super Mario Bros movie.

Wanted to see more of Luigi, and more of the great orchestral score. Like others have said, the licensed songs were a miss for me, but maybe it worked for others since they were all very 80s and Mario is ultimately a game that started in the 80s.

I now forever hate Take on Me for robbing us of this

What the fuck?! I…don’t understand… This would’ve been SO much better than what they ended up doing in the actual movie… Why…

So, like…did they make original music for all of those scenes where licensed music was used, or was it just this one? And does the fact that they still included the music with the release of the soundtrack mean that there might be a chance that they put this back in for the home video release, and that the licensed music is only for the theatrical release? One can only hope…

Last edited:
What the fuck?! I…don’t understand… This wouldn’t been SO much better than what they ended up doing in the actual movie… Why…

So, like…did they make original music for all of those scenes where licensed music was used, or was it just this one? And does the fact that they still included the music with the release of the soundtrack mean that there might be a chance that they put this back in for the home video release, and that the licensed music is only for the theatrical release? One can only hope…

Release the Tyler Cut!

Exclusive to the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack

It’s also kinda fucked up how the official soundtrack (and I think the movie credits too, but I’m not 100% certain about that) says “original Nintendo themes by Koji Kondo” when…no, that’s not the case at all, actually. Like, even excluding that unused song, there are definitely Nintendo themes in the movie that weren’t composed by Kondo, yet he gets all the credit anyway. What the hell is up with that?

That’s honestly worse to me than just crediting the DK Rap to being “from Donkey Kong 64” rather than specifically crediting Grant Kirkhope (plus the other song that was used from a game that just credited the game itself rather than the original composer), because at least in those instances they aren’t attributing the composition of the music to someone else entirely.

It’s also kinda fucked up how the official soundtrack (and I think the movie credits too, but I’m not 100% certain about that) says “original Nintendo themes by Koji Kondo” when…no, that’s not the case at all, actually. Like, even excluding that unused song, there are definitely Nintendo themes in the movie that weren’t composed by Kondo, yet he gets all the credit anyway. What the hell is up with that?
I do find that very strange

What the fuck?! I…don’t understand… This would’ve been SO much better than what they ended up doing in the actual movie… Why…

WHAT. the fuck.

Applies to this too, there is a full version of this rather than playing Thunderstruck after the Mario Kart 8 Menu Music remix.

The movie was exactly what I expected from a Mario movie. Loved it, but can see how anyone who doesn't play the games might dislike it. I feel a big selling is how flat the characters are in the games from a personality perspective, any kind of interaction is already a breath of fresh air. Mario & Luigi relationship with one another was the highlight of the movie to me. Really loved how they portrayed Peach here too, I'm hoping part of it will influence the games too.

From the looks of it, it was an absolute triumph and I'm looking forward to what Nintendo does next. My expectation is a somewhat safe sequel with a focus on Yoshi and maybe Rosalina x Mario Galaxy. What I would really want is a Luigi's Mansion spinoff.

Applies to this too, there is a full version of this rather than playing Thunderstruck after the Mario Kart 8 Menu Music remix.

WHY?!

Is it just those two scenes then? I feel like the other two prominent uses of licensed music would have also made a lot more sense with an original score, and they seem well made for it too…

even more baffling to go with licensed music at all.

there has to be a cut of the movie with only the original score. this is great.
For the casuals/parents i bet. For me though i did not care, i just wanted more of the great orchestrated game themes.

I don't know about the other songs, but my theater had a good laugh when Take On Me played as the gorilla went around driving wildly. I presume the, frankly very imposing, music in the soundtrack perhaps made the scene feel a bit less comedic?

Got my Mario Movie care package from xfinity in the mail today, enough to keep me hyped until I see it next week!

(Poster, popcorn box, popcorn, sour patch kids, activity book, crayons)

side note - I'm surprised there's not more brand deals with this movie. These Sour Patch Kids should have been Sour Patch Toads.

I probably would have enjoyed the original soundtrack arrangements more myself, but just before the pandemic, I went to a NieR concert, which had music from both the original (this was before the Replicant remake was released) and from Automata. I remember at the time listening and thinking "These older songs are nice, but I'd really like them to get to the Automata tracks because I have played that game and think that music is better." A couple years later, I played Replicant, and now I honestly prefer that soundtrack to Automata. My point being, even great music doesn't connect to you in the same way if you aren't already familiar with it, and that's why the safer play was to stick in a few very popular 80s tracks. It's a trade off to widen the appeal a bit with something everyone recognizes, and I can't really hold it against the movie, though yes, if they released a cut with the original compositions, I would absolutely watch it.

My "review" with mild spoilers:

I watched the film yesterday and I really wish I would have liked it more than I did.

The main problem for me is that the pacing and the overall vibe feels off. For example the music is cool, but only always for like little 10 second segments before it goes back to a more generic Mix. Even the songs are mainly problematic because they were just awkwardly mixed in there. There are some really funny jokes in theory but they are executed so poorly. The Luma could have been super funny but it is just a bit too out of place. Children will like it regardless of that, but there was almost no child laughing when I was in cinema (I saw some being very happy at the exit though).

A lot of times the movie feels like a big commercial. Especially at the Mariokart Scene. They tease this big "war" and it dosen’t really pay off because it is "just" some random racing on rainbow road. It is still a cool scene but not the right (mini)-climax at that moment. To me it falls kinda apart in these scene.

The overall script is ok, but I thought it is a bit boring to have a very similar setup like in Mario Odyssey. It baffled me, that it is emotionally almost on the same level. Lighthearted fun but nothing more. The subplot with the Mario family could have been a nice addition, but it really is not fleshed out enough.

I think this movie really suffers from bad direction which you don’t experience often in an 3D animation movie in this way. Not even in other Illumination productions.

To end this on a positive note: I love the animation and the art direction. Those are stellar. The references are super cool. I‘m all in for Bowsers Characterization which is a nice follow up to his silliness in Odyssey. It‘s the absolute highlight. Also while Mario and Luigi didn‘t had much screen time together, they really pulled of that they care for each other as brothers. It is super wholesome. I didn‘t care who was voiced by who and to me it didn‘t matter for the emotional experience.

I think it is a well enough start for Nintendo into movies. Outside of giving characters more personality I just hope that it isn‘t too influential on the franchise as a whole. I hope they don‘t think of the Mushroom Kingdom or the Game Mechanics featured here in it‘s finalized form and still stay creatively open in world building and gameplay for future games.

Regardless of the quality of the movie I think it will help Nintendo to be taken more seriously as a Media company with very valuable IPs by the general public. They have a big future ahead of them, which is kinda scary but also interesting.

TLDR: The time flew by watching this, but so did the movie. I wish they did more. Nintendo will make tons of money. 6/10.

Oh wow this would have made the whole thing a bit better for me.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
A lot of times the movie feels like a big commercial. Especially at the Mariokart Scene. They teased this big "war" and didn‘t really pay off. It was still a cool scene but not the right (mini)-climax at that moment. To me it felt kinda apart in these scene.

I never really trust trailers. In fact, I'm glad that segment wasn't the actual climax, and it was Peach's "wedding" was actually the proper moment where it felt the conflict was coming to a head.

I do agree the movie would be better without the licensed music, but overall I feel you're being too down and cynical on this film.

I don't recall Thunderstruck being played. I do recall Take On Me by A-ha and yet another Holding Out For a Hero usage for the training montage (and Battle Without Honor And Humanity for the penguin scene). I do remember the Mario Kart 8 parts selection track being played.

but overall I feel you're being too down and cynical on this film.
I gave it some time since yesterday were I felt even more negative, but it is still my opinion that this movie is a very mixed package. Maybe I should have started with my positives, because it "saved" the movie for me. But yeah I wish I could be more positive, but I mean overall it dosen‘t really matter.

I’ve seen a lot of YouTubers give their takes on the movie, but wasn’t expecting one from Max, or for it to be so positive.

I never really trust trailers
To clarify: I wasn‘t excited of it being in the movie and then got disappointed. I just think it felt out of place and should have been more of a "war" were they get defeated instead of a weird race. I mean it‘s cool to have Mariokart in there, but to me it wasn‘t fitting. Sorry for double replying, I feel kinda bad to be so negative.

I gave it some time since yesterday were I felt even more negative, but it is still my opinion that this movie is a very mixed package. Maybe I should have started with my positives, because it "saved" the movie for me. But yeah I wish I could be more positive, but I mean overall it dosen‘t really matter.
I feel in that today's cynical world where people simply have bad faith over everything in particular, yes, The Super Mario Bros. Movie would be considered "bad", and the 1993 Mario movie would be "worse, but sill no excuse". People don't stop to think about how, plot-wise, elements could be integrated while still adhering to how they are in the games all the while taking enough creative liberties to tell a solid story about these two particular brothers.

I actually thought about it again, and still came to the same conclusion that, yeah, they did take much liberties like with Mario's backround history while still somehow making sense to those people who played Wrecking Crew, and somehow also making the Kong's it's own kingdom and change how Donkey Kong's rivalry with Mario works. I personally felt there was a certain amount of faithfulness and veneration, but at the same time I did feel they did some fleshing out where they needed to. But I guess if I were to be completely cynical, I wish they had fleshed it out some more, particularly the rivalry with Foreman Spike.

I also think the movie echoes a lot of the same plot beats of the 1993 Mario film: a rival buisness (Scapelli in '93, Spike in '23), Mario getting whisked to another world (in '93 it was via wall down in the sewers, in '23 it was via Warp Pipe), Peach being an orphan, and a battle in Brooklyn.

Perhaps that's the reason why I still prefer Mortal Kombat 1998 (by Paul W.S. Anderson of all people...) over the latest 2021 incarnation: It was faithful to its source material where it mattered the most.

So I agree: I wish this was the movie I have seen as a kid back in 1993.

"A shame we all had to grow up" says my cynical self.

"...but do we?" says my still-optimistic self.

WHY?!

Is it just those two scenes then? I feel like the other two prominent uses of licensed music would have also made a lot more sense with an original score, and they seem well made for it too…
this possibly points to the inclusion of licensed music in the movie being made very late. They recorded the OST last October after all. Wondering if after seeing how people did not react very well to that they're going to put the original OST back in for home media release in an alternate cut or something.

xJQSPbZ_d.webp

To clarify: I wasn‘t excited of it being in the movie and then got disappointed. I just think it felt out of place and should have been more of a "war" were they get defeated instead of a weird race. I mean it‘s cool to have Mariokart in there, but to me it wasn‘t fitting. Sorry for double replying, I feel kinda bad to be so negative.
I appreciate them even taking that chance to integrate Donkey Kong and Mario Kart in here somehow and still give a plausible explanation.

But yeah, I never considered Mario Kart as part of the overall Mario "canon".

Edit: My take on it was it was never meant to be a war nor a race to begin with: Rainbow Road is just a way for kingdoms to travel conviniently, along with Warp Pipes. Bowser's army simply got the jump on them while travelling.

So we all agree outside of the licensed movie, the movie's score was godlike right?

I do like the original leitmotif Brian Tyler made for the movie's theme.

I feel in that today's cynical world where people simply have bad faith over everything in particular, yes, The Super Mario Bros. Movie would be considered "bad", and the 1993 Mario movie would be "worse, but sill no excuse". People don't stop to think about how, plot-wise, elements could be integrated while still adhering to how they are in the games all the while taking enough creative liberties to tell a solid story about these two particular brothers.

I actually thought about it again, and still came to the same conclusion that, yeah, they did take much liberties like with Mario's backround history while still somehow making sense to those people who played Wrecking Crew, and somehow also making the Kong's it's own kingdom and change how Donkey Kong's rivalry with Mario works. I personally felt there was a certain amount of faithfulness and veneration, but at the same time I did feel they did some fleshing out where they needed to. But I guess if I were to be completely cynical, I wish they had fleshed it out some more, particularly the rivalry with Foreman Spike.

I also think the movie echoes a lot of the same plot beats of the 1993 Mario film: a rival buisness (Scapelli in '93, Spike in '23), Mario getting whisked to another world (in '93 it was via wall down in the sewers, in '23 it was via Warp Pipe), Peach being an orphan, and a battle in Brooklyn.

Perhaps that's the reason why I still prefer Mortal Kombat 1998 (by Paul W.S. Anderson of all people...) over the latest 2021 incarnation: It was faithful to its source material where it mattered the most.

So I agree: I wish this was the movie I have seen as a kid back in 1993.

"A shame we all had to grow up" says my cynical self.

I feel it is a bit unfair to see my criticism in the context of an overall bad faith argument. I mean yeah obviously there is a bigger public who are very harsh about this film for all kind of reasons. But I am not just those people. This is my personal commentary of this film and I really tried to be as open minded as possible. Personally I also think they were very faithful and tasteful with many characterizations and references like as good as in the Lego Movie, but unlike there it didn‘t hold up for me in a cohesive plot and a well paced story. That’s it. Maybe my post is a bit cynical but I mean isn‘t that part of being critical about something?

In the end this movie will be a success. It‘s good enough and plays perfectly into this cross-media future strategy that Nintendo is building up as a third pillar.

Back
Top Bottom