• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

haven't seen the movie yet (later tonight) but early numbers and WOM are KINO right now, probably going to be the biggest opening for a movie this year, and Illuminations 2nd best opening overall

EDIT: it's early but Mario is looking to be in the top 3 highest grossing of the year if not #1

Last edited:
Did someone else teared up a bit while seeing Iwata’s name in the credits, especially at the same size as Furukawa’s

Just saw it. Not a good movie for my money. Quiet in the cinema, i.e. kids weren’t laughing. Sad at the use of licensed songs. Animation criticism is fair, faces just aren’t well animated and Peach looks really weird at times. The story is not just basic, it’s a setup that doesn’t make a lot of sense (the dog). Mario and Luigi come off as slightly weird. Dialogue between Mario and DK doesn’t work. Hope to see no more Nintendo movies from Illumination

I have now watched the movie and omg it was such a blast, I had such fun watching it and the jokes actually landed for me and most of the audience and, for the first time I've encountered for a non-marvel movie in the uk, people actually clapped once the credits rolled. My only issue with the movie is the break-neck pacing, the movie should've been a bit longer to let stuff breathe but I don't care about it that much because of just how fun this movie was.

(and the French dub was excellent)
I will only see it on saturday, but the fact that we somehow survived a potential star casting and kept the excellent cast from the trailers is the biggest win for me.

I hope Pierre Tessier gets some sort of a bigger fame after this. It's not impossible considering how his performance was praised even by English speakers as early as the first teaser.

Last edited:
Just got out.

I loved it.

But the review scores are fair.

I'll provide a more in depth look later, but yeah. It's a 9/10 in my heart.

I’m still confused by the delay in release for Japan unless they just wanted it held back for Golden Week.

I saw it this morning and it would take the most cynical among us to really pick this movie apart. But as a lifelong Mario fan it was simply wonderful. Gotta give Chris Pratt props, he did a GREAT job. First few minutes Mario is on screen sets the character up really well. Charlie Day too, but we all knew he was going to do great.

I was honestly a little worried about how they were going to handle Peach but they tied in a lot of her more diplomat qualities from the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games really well. She’s really well fleshed out.

Bowser is probably the standout. He’s got a lot of range and he has GREAT comedic bits. Jack Black killed it.

First 30 minutes and the last 30 minutes may have been the most entertaining. Putting the Mario Bros back in Brooklyn for the beginning of the movie was such a great idea and it totally worked.

I have 1 real sticking point of “oh I wouldn’t have done that” and that’s the licensed music. You have such a wealth of some of the best tracks ever composed; there should be absolutely no reason to go 80’s rock.

Also, yes there are 2 credits scenes. One in the middle and a stinger at the very very end. The stinger is just that; it’s maybe 10 seconds long, doesn’t really show a whole lot, you may be better off just googling what it is.

So I just got home from seeing this, and I wish I liked it more than I did. That script is really rough and really fast which leads to a whole lot of nothing. I'm not even ragging on it's simplicity cause it's a children's movie, because even by those standards it's something. There are probably posts on this forum with a higher wordcount than that screenplay, it's that level of rushing through any kind of dialogue and character moments.

It was kinda fun in places though, original score fucking rules. Crisp Rat's mediocre performance is kind of hysterical when most everybody else around him is actually delivering far above expectations. Animation is weirdly inconsistent, but when it hits it's at least fun. The Nintendo fandom pandering is actually a lot more fun most of the time, but they over indulge and rack up a lot of runtime in places that feels really misplaced.

Mixed bag of a thing. It's not a good script even by children and family standards, in fact I'd call it straight up bad. It's carried really heavily by the IP and visuals bringing in enough fun to not immediately write it off. I at least enjoyed seeing Peach be a cool female lead, and Jack Black is just having fun the whole time. Wish I got to see more out of that instead of elongated action and reference montages that go on for entirely too long.

the music choices certainly are odd. I know it‘s in the 80s and all but it‘s so random?

Sounds like it's off to a great start:
Oh that's excellent !!!
Industry has it at 150 millions 5 day opening and 101-125 for the 3 day weekend. It would beat out some records.

Also, we should probably add a poll for people who have seeen the movie. Like how did you like it from 1-10.

Just saw it.

How much you like it will basically depend on which camp you're in

1.) Big Mario fan/player and kids will likely really like it. It will be more like a 7/10 (adult Mario fan) or 8/10 (young Mario fan kid) in that case. If I was 8 years old I probably would be over the moon with this film.

2.) If you're not like super hardcore Mario fan who's an adult ... your mileage with this movie will vary, it's probably more of a 5/10 or 6/10 movie for you.

It has a pleasant vibe and an earnest spirit, but the script doesn't allow for much heart or character relationships to build and there's not much drama. There are some funny/cute moments though. Jack Black's Bowser is pretty funny. The voice issue is handled really well by the movie (it actually directly references this topic) and the voice actors to be honest I think they all did a good job.

The movie is basically the biggest love letter to the games, if that is appealing to you, you'll have a good time. If you're looking for like a top end story with lots of witty writing ... you'll probably have a rough go of it. I felt like it started strong and then kinda was losing a bit of steam by the end, but still enjoyed it.

Also the movie looks great. The CG is really good especially the water effects (mama mia!) and the score incorporates some very nice Mario theme moments, I wish there were a bit more.

Regardless of how good or bad it is as a movie, I have my ticket to see the goddamn Rainbow Road in IMAX, and that's really all I care about. That and watching Jack go ham. I'll probably be plenty satisfied.

I kind of loved this movie even though it probably won't be for the same reasons I think most would be drawn to it. The way they chose to tell this story, the character arcs they chose to saddle them with, specifically evoked a particular childhood resonance in my mind that I feel kind of bittersweet having to reminisce about given how much my own family meant to me growing up playing video games and how it's basically impossible for me to attain a sense of those shared joys in quaint simple achievements with them these days. The movie's breezy pace makes it hard to say whether that was ever an effect that the film could allow in the moment-to-moment, but leaving the theater left me with an oddly longing sense of rumination after casually talking with a family member about it, who never liked video games, and told me that despite this that seeing the ad air for the film while I was gone made them nostalgic; a word I don't think I've ever heard them use.

For me at this point, whether the movie was great or not, is something I don't really care much about after seeing it. It's a solid movie with good animation work and fun characters. At its worst, it's just okay, which is fine. But I'm not a critic, and at the end of the day, I think of this less as a "good film" and more of a "good memory". Ultimately maybe that's what matters.

Anyway, Princess Peach ruled and Bowser was perfect. DK was good too.

Just got back.
Biased Opinion: Loved it, hope they do more, it's a movie that existed in my childhood dreams.

Unbiased Opinion: I can totally get the weak critical response, movie needed to be either longer or cut the Kong stuff, because the pacing is super fast and alot of the silliness of Mario's world is taken for granted, which is fine for us but I'm not so sure if fine for non-nerds

My understated favorite part of the movie:
Mario "failing" the obstacle course and sharing a moment of quiet friendly banter with Peach. I love this duo.

Honestly the more I think about all the little parts I loved in the movie the more I want to see it again.

Mediocre as a movie but it's pure bliss to watch if your childhood was full of Mario like mine was

As a huge Mario fan, I even teared up at some parts haha. I was grinning non-stop all the time, the movie is filled with small references every 10 seconds and I'm sure I missed a ton. Not big on the 80's rock songs, Mario's OST is already rich enough to service a dozen of movies,
Thunderstruck
specially felt a bit forced.
It won't win any Oscars but if you're a Mario fan it's an absolutely joy :)

For what it's worth, this is probably by far the most faithful video game adapation to a movie. It's basically literally the game put on screen with the voices changed.

You could basically play clips of the movie and then paste in platforming sections and have a "cinematic Mario game" akin to a Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid game but with Mario, it's that much like the games.

It isn't at all like the "we're going to make a game based movie and start with a movie script and then paste in game references here and there".

I’m in the lobby for the movie and seeing a bunch of people of all ages wearing Mario stuff and being excited feels really heart warming.

For what it's worth, this is probably by far the most faithful video game adapation to a movie. It's basically literally the game put on screen with the voices changed.

You could basically play clips of the movie and then paste in platforming sections and have a "cinematic Mario game" akin to a Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid game but with Mario, it's that much like the games.

It isn't at all like the "we're going to make a game based movie and start with a movie script and then paste in game references here and there".
I straight up walked out of it thinking "I wish this existed as a Mario RPG" of some sort, an adventure with Toad, Peach and Donkey Kong that culminates with fighting Bowser in New York would be a sight. Well not anymore now that the movie already did it so the idea is now Officially Old but you get what I mean.

It's kind of wild how little fluff there is to this movie at all. I wouldn't say a single scene is wasted or unnecessary, and there's nothing I would cut out of it. Even the rare odd gag like
Luigi and Mario making an enemy of a client's dog
has a funny payoff. It is extraordinarily well put together. It really is a shame that we couldn't get just a little more time to flesh out some of the more unrepresented characters. If nothing else it's a good sign that I'm left wanting more rather than less.

Good movie but too short. Everything happens so easily. It really feels off sometimes because characters don’t engage much.

I really preferred this approach to making a game movie to the Sonic movie approach. I enjoyed those films, but they felt more like modern rom-coms that have Sonic characters in it, whereas this one felt like just about everything came straight out of some piece of Mario history.

Tons of references that were super fun. I think it's good (not amazing) a kid's movie, but they obviously did the work in the music, sound and visual design department so that older fans would feel at home. Overall, I enjoyed myself a ton!

Good movie but too short. Everything happens so easily. It really feels off sometimes because characters don’t engage much.

Yeah I wonder how much of that is Miyamoto's insistence that the story mechanics don't matter too much. The movie needed more character interaction and more of a sense of stakes.

It's not so much even that that relationships are bad, they're actually quite decent (Mario and Luigi, Mario and DK, Mario and Peach have nice moments among other characters, but they just basically touch on that and then don't ever really come back to it in most cases).

I do think
Luigi’s ringtone should’ve been the one he has in LM 2 which is the best ringtone ever. GameCube is fine though I guess

Anyone else feel like this movie is great? Watched it after work and it really brought a smile to my face. Some really bad gags but overall it had me laughing and giggling like a little kid. Stay for after credits btw, in case you're in a rush to leave which some people in my theatre were.

Anyone else feel like this movie is great? Watched it after work and it really brought a smile to my face. Some really bad gags but overall it had me laughing and giggling like a little kid. Stay for after credits btw, in case you're in a rush to leave which some people in my theatre were.
I loved it, mario is like my favorite thing ever and i loved every minute of this movie. I didnt want it to end

Here are my thoughts after watching it:

Okay, so the Mario movie is…a Mario movie! It’s pretty much exactly what I had anticipated—it neither exceeded nor failed to meet my expectations. It’s a fun movie that most Mario fans will probably enjoy, but it doesn’t try to cater much to non-fans at all so don’t expect that. It’s very much a movie made for the fans (and kids), staying pleasantly faithful to the games in many ways while still making concessions to simplify/generalize things here and there for a broader audience and to fit a movie narrative, as you’d expect from a Hollywood production. I think most people—assuming they’re already interested in Mario and have played Mario games before—will probably enjoy the movie even more than I did, because I knew going in that I would definitely have nitpicks with the choice of using Hollywood actors and some licensed music.

Ultimately, I personally think the movie would have been a better movie to me—the wider audience may not agree, though, I know—if they ditched the licensed music and kept the voices from the games where possible. But the voices were…fine. They work, but they’re nothing special. Same with the few licensed music scenes; they’re relatively inoffensive, but they would have been much better if they used existing Nintendo music instead—which they DO do A LOT elsewhere in the movie, thankfully! But that just makes it weirder when they DON’T do stuff like that. I feel like Nintendo probably got their way with a lot of the movie’s creative direction, and it shows, but there were likely some things that Illumination demanded of the production, like the voice actors and licensed music. Some of the humor was also…eh, could’ve done without.

It’s weird because parts of the movie definitely feel like a deliberate attempt to appeal to a broader audience, but at its core it’s a movie that relies on the viewer already having the context for many things from being familiar with the games, otherwise they’ll be lost on you. So, like, there are a LOT of cool things in the movie for fans of the games to recognize, and that’s really where the movie shines best. It references the actual games in ways that you wouldn’t expect from a Hollywood movie, and it certainly beats the Sonic movies in that regard. It’s a video game movie adaptation that actually takes pride in its source material and doesn’t shy away from being largely true to that, nor does it try to twist that into something drastically different in an effort to win over lapsed or non-fans, for shock value, or whatever.

No, this is a Super Mario movie through and through, not some bastardization of the franchise for the sake of being edgy or otherwise “different” like the ’93 movie was. Nintendo was heavily involved in this production and it absolutely shows. I only wish that was even MORE true, because the parts I had the most issue with were the parts that seemed the most “off-brand” for Mario/Nintendo, which are probably the parts that were more on the Illumination side of things. But it could have been a lot worse, so I’m glad it was as decent as it turned out to be. The characters and plot are…about as complex as they are in the games—which is to say not very much at all, but I honestly prefer that to whatever alternative because there’s WAY more potential for things to get weird and bad if they were to go really wild with the plot and all.

Like I said, the movie doesn’t try to be something it isn’t or shouldn’t be—it’s not trying to make Mario into some grand story with deep characters, it’s just a fun movie for fans and embraces what the games are rather than trying to make something “better” by throwing them out. There are plenty of changes, of course, and as you’d expect not everything is true to the games, but much of it is, and that’s just SO nice to see. It’s nothing particularly special as a movie in general, but as a Hollywood adaptation of Mario? You probably can’t get much better. So yeah, definitely go see it if you like Mario! It’s neat and you’ll probably enjoy it quite a bit! Just don’t go in expecting something that it isn’t, and brace yourself for the typical Hollywood stuff that was thrown in. Also, STAY UNTIL THE VERY END!! After ALL the credits!!

tl;dr—The Mario movie is best to me when it’s fully embracing the games, which is does a LOT, but it’s so close to going all the way that it’s awkward in the areas where it doesn’t. Also, there are SO many references! And it’s not just “nostalgia”—there’s VERY recent stuff, too!

Yup I really liked it I’d honestly give it like a 9/10 if I was reviewing it
I did rush to leave because I needed the toilet but I can wait for the Blu-ray for the credit bits

While most of the licensed tracks aren't necessary I will 100% go to bat for the first one that's in the film.

No Sleep Till Brooklyn is them going all in on that Super Show-era energy. It's such an easy low-hanging fruit pick but it works in that part of the movie because we're establishing how rooted they are in Brooklyn. The ones after that are unnecessary but also inoffensive and tracks I generally like.

What a fun movie.

Wasn't expecting Iwata in the credits. That got me a bit sad.

This will most likely be the last thing Iwata will be in the credits for.

While most of the licensed tracks aren't necessary I will 100% go to bat for the first one that's in the film.

No Sleep Till Brooklyn is them going all in on that Super Show-era energy. It's such an easy low-hanging fruit pick but it works in that part of the movie because we're establishing how rooted they are in Brooklyn. The ones after that are unnecessary but also inoffensive and tracks I generally like.
That’s the one that felt the most jarring to me, lol. I’d never heard the song before so I had no idea it was supposed to be related to the location, but I thought it felt totally out of place. Would’ve preferred some kind of Mario athletic theme arrangement there or something, ‘cause it would have worked great (but that can be said for all of the instances where licensed music was used).

I loved it. It was a Mario game turned into a movie for the most part. It feels like it was made with me in mind (with some flexes so that others would be ok with it too). I think almost anyone who is bothering to read this comment will probably like it and have a great time. The animation is also deserving of the big screen. I saw it in Dolby, and the music and image were amazing.

Just saw it. Not a good movie for my money. Quiet in the cinema, i.e. kids weren’t laughing. Sad at the use of licensed songs. Animation criticism is fair, faces just aren’t well animated and Peach looks really weird at times. The story is not just basic, it’s a setup that doesn’t make a lot of sense (the dog). Mario and Luigi come off as slightly weird. Dialogue between Mario and DK doesn’t work. Hope to see no more Nintendo movies from Illumination
honestly fair critisms but for me it was still a really good movie

This might sound like a fanboy cop-out but it's truly a relief that the characters and fan trappings in this range from solid to great even if the story is as basic as one can expect from an animated kids movie--it would be missing the point if they didn't focus first and foremost on nailing the spirit of Mario and it's surprisingly successful in that light! In fact, I had little issue with all those pop music cues personally but that's truly the one element of the movie that doesn't feel like it's bending over backwards to be something a diehard Nintendo fan would get a kick out of. So much fun stuffed into something so unfussy-- hard to note any armchair-film-critic-quibbles without listing just about every stupid moment of fan service fun that genuinely outweighs it.

They had me at Diskun.

How has been the attendance in your local theaters?

Pretty close to being packed. All showtimes were the same across the board as well.

That was a pretty good movie! I can see now the critics saying it was fast pace, they do pretty much go from scene to scene, but the action was amazing - and lots of great details and score as well. Overall a lovely experience.

Back
Top Bottom