• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
SMBMSTHeader.jpeg
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Release Date: April 5th, 2023 (April 28th in Japan)
Running Time: 92 minutes
Rotten Tomato Score: 56
Metacritic Score: 49 (Be sure to check out our review thread!)
StarTopic Created by WestEgg

SMBMSTIntroduction.jpeg

Welcome Famiboards, to the Super Mario Bros. Movie StarTopic! No, not THAT Super Mario Bros. movie, this is a new, 3D animated film, made in collaboration with Nintendo and Illumination! This thread is your one stop shop for all discussion on the movie! Grab some popcorn, kick back, and enjoy!

Here is the movie's synopsis from the official website:
For the first time, the iconic global entertainment brands Illumination and Nintendo join forces to create The Super Mario Bros. Movie, a new, big-screen adventure starring one of pop culture’s most prominent plumbers of the past four decades.

Based on the world of Nintendo’s Mario games, the film invites audiences into a vibrant, thrilling new universe unlike any created before in an action-packed, exuberant cinematic comedy event.

While working underground to fix a water main, Brooklyn plumbers Mario (Chris Pratt; Jurassic World and The LEGO Movie franchises) and brother Luigi (Charlie Day; It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) are transported down a mysterious pipe and wander into a magical new world. But when the brothers are separated, Mario embarks on an epic quest to find Luigi.

With the assistance of a Mushroom Kingdom resident Toad (Keegan-Michael Key; The Lion King) and some training from the strong-willed ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom, Princess Peach (Anya Taylor-Joy;The Queen’s Gambit), Mario taps into his own power.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie features an extraordinary comedic cast, including Jack Black (Jumanji films) as Bowser, Seth Rogen (Neighbors franchise) as Donkey Kong, Fred Armisen (Portlandia, Saturday Night Live) as Cranky Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson (American Dad!, Family Guy) as Kamek and Sebastian Maniscalco (Green Book) as Spike, plus a special voice appearance by Charles Martinet, who has voiced the characters of Mario and Luigi in the Super Mario games for more than 30 years.

The film is directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic (collaborators on Teen Titans Go!, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies) from a screenplay by Matthew Fogel (Minions: The Rise of Gru, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part).

From Nintendo and Illumination—creator of the global blockbuster Despicable Me, Minions, Sing and The Secret Life of Pets franchises—The Super Mario Bros. Movie is produced by Illumination founder and CEO Chris Meledandri p.g.a. and by Nintendo’s Representative Director and Fellow Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario, after more than six years of close bond and discussions between the two. The film is co-financed by Universal Pictures and Nintendo and will be released worldwide by Universal Pictures.

SMBMSTPromotionalMedia.jpeg

Official Teaser

Official Trailer

Final Trailer

Super Mario Bros. Plumbing Commercial

foevbcsayamvqpf-1675462826997.jpg

posterimage1.jpg

Character Posters:
donkey-kong.original.jpg
Mario-movie-poster-2.jpg
4097300-download%2826%29.jpg
mario-movie-poster-luigi.jpg
supermariobros_3962723.jpg
bowser.original.jpg

SMBMSTWebsites.jpeg

Official Website

Super Mario Bros. Plumbing Website

Last edited:
I was initially going to have a character description section and then remembered this is literally a Nintendo enthusiast forum and decided it probably wasn't needed.

I'm seeing this in IMAX with some friends on Wednesday. I actually have a Donkey Kong costume and am considering wearing it to the theater.

Awesome ST!

I’m still debating if this is my first movie I’ll see in movie theaters since the pandemic started so I might not see it for a bit, but otherwise I can’t wait to see this! Looks like a lot of fun!

This is a great ST - well done @WestEgg!

As I've gone over numerous times, I am...torn about how this movie will go. On the surface, The Super Mario Bros. Movie is as faithful to the core Mario brand as you could ask for, and it's crystal clear that a lot of love was put into nailing that aspect. It looks the part, with the deviations mostly existing to fit better to Illumination's house style and to the medium in general. It sounds the part, with a soundtrack that pulls liberally from the games and that has delighted me with every sneak peek. It has references and throwbacks to every era of the franchise, and half the fun will be picking them all out, big and small. I should be extremely excited! It's my favorite gaming IP on the big screen, closely watched by Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto to make sure that this is the definitive Mario movie!

And yet, and yet, what I see leaves me apprehensive. At best, I am expecting a kinda average kid's movie that's expertly on brand and has lots of Easter eggs and nods to the games but doesn't aim to go beyond that. And this isn't a slight on kid's stuff! I love a lot of animated stuff that's for kids or all ages. Much of it is genuinely great! But as for this one, the jokes didn't hit as hard as they should for me from the trailers (I'm trying to avoid the more recent TV spots to not completely spoil the film for myself), I'm still not totally sold on some of these casting choices, and I don't have the confidence in the story being anything but a safe execution of a safe idea. I want my hype and the good things I say about this film to extend beyond "It looks and sounds like the games I love."

Even so, I got my tickets for this Saturday ready to go. I'm gonna give this a fair shake. Nintendo and Illumination, I want you to prove me wrong.

This is a great ST - well done @WestEgg!

As I've gone over numerous times, I am...torn about how this movie will go. On the surface, The Super Mario Bros. Movie is as faithful to the core Mario brand as you could ask for, and it's crystal clear that a lot of love was put into nailing that aspect. It looks the part, with the deviations mostly existing to fit better to Illumination's house style and to the medium in general. It sounds the part, with a soundtrack that pulls liberally from the games and that has delighted me with every sneak peek. It has references and throwbacks to every era of the franchise, and half the fun will be picking them all out, big and small. I should be extremely excited! It's my favorite gaming IP on the big screen, closely watched by Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto to make sure that this is the definitive Mario movie!

And yet, and yet, what I see leaves me apprehensive. At best, I am expecting a kinda average kid's movie that's expertly on brand and has lots of Easter eggs and nods to the games but doesn't aim to go beyond that. And this isn't a slight on kid's stuff! I love a lot of animated stuff that's for kids or all ages. Much of it is genuinely great! But as for this one, the jokes didn't hit as hard as they should for me from the trailers (I'm trying to avoid the more recent TV spots to not completely spoil the film for myself), I'm still not totally sold on some of these casting choices, and I don't have the confidence in the story being anything but a safe execution of a safe idea. I want my hype and the good things I say about this film to extend beyond "It looks and sounds like the games I love."

Even so, I got my tickets for this Saturday ready to go. I'm gonna give this a fair shake. Nintendo and Illumination, I want you to prove me wrong.
At the very least, if it's just that, you could say it leaves mushroom for improvement.

Stolen from a poster on Resetera, I'll see myself out

This will do so well. All the stars are aligned and impressions are super positives. Fan/movie goers love it, critics think it's good. If it can have a RT score between 70-80%, it will do so well.

Is the ST subtitle a reference I'm missing or just a joke about the inevitable NCU

The thread subtitle is absolutely brilliant, well done West.

I don’t have any plans to see this in the theater I’m afraid. I’ll just have to do what I do with every big movie - wait until it hits streaming.

I wonder when the soundtrack will hit streaming. Should come out at the same time as the movie?

Going off impressions on social media, this feels like a movie I am absolutely going to adore as a Mario fan.

It might not be the greatest movie ever objectively speaking, but that's okay. I think there's something to be said for a video game adaptation that is actually trying to be faithful to its source material. At worst, hopefully this will be a foundation to build upon.

Didn’t get a chance to reply to the Zelda talk in the other topic since it was locked, so I’ll just put it here

I really don’t think they’ll go live action “prestige” for it. Just with how the series has been presented recently - BotW going back to more stylized cel-shading art style, and of course the Link’s Awakening remake just doesn’t give me the feeling that would be the vibe they’d go for

They’d have to dial it back to Twilight Princess Tolkien-esque look for it to be taken seriously, and even then stuff like the green tunic just isn’t suited for live action imo.

Really think they’ll just go the more “serious” type of animated film route for it.

If Nintendo was really about going for a prestige TV/film thing, they’d do Metroid. But alas, I won’t get my hopes up.

Didn’t get a chance to reply to the Zelda talk in the other topic since it was locked, so I’ll just put it here

I really don’t think they’ll go live action “prestige” for it. Just with how the series has been presented recently - BotW going back to more stylized cel-shading art style, and of course the Link’s Awakening remake just doesn’t give me the feeling that would be the vibe they’d go for

They’d have to dial it back to Twilight Princess Tolkien-esque look for it to be taken seriously, and even then stuff like the green tunic just isn’t suited for live action imo.

Really think they’ll just go the more “serious” type of animated film route for it.

If Nintendo was really about going for a prestige TV/film thing, they’d do Metroid. But alas, I won’t get my hopes up.
My expectations would be a DreamWorks Zelda movie as they are likely to stick with Universal for movie adaptations.

I'm going with family on wednesday night, and we are all dressing up as various characters. A mario, a luigi, two peaches, a rosalina, a DK, and a daisy. Gonna be a good time.

Got the tickets for the Mrs, the kids (even the eldest!) and myself when the sales opened. Can't wait to see it tomorrow.

Reading impressions, it seems the one thing i wanted this movie to do right, was done right. Being faithful to the source material.

That rollout as been amazing. Probably one of the best i've seen for a movie. Opening tomorrow, will be fun now to watch how it does.

Quoting myself in the correct thread:

I have tickets to see the movie with my kids tomorrow afternoon, hyped!

I had such low hopes since Illumination was announced as the studio, not being a fan of them at all, but from the trailers it seems like they've gotten a lot right.

Based on the preview impressions and trailer clips, This is the movie 12 year old me wanted to see in 1993. The complaints about the story , we;ll see if it holds water, or if it's just movie critics being movie critics.

check this out, the directors actually had an explanation for the floating bricks but it never made it into the movie!
"Illumination was tasked with making sure these concepts were believable within the logic of a movie. It’s a goal that, for the directors, extended as far as justifying why there are floating blocks in the Mushroom Kingdom, despite their explanation never making it into the film.
“Our idea was that there’s a mineral that’s natural to the Mushroom Kingdom, which we call ‘floatanium,’ because it sounded funny to us,” Horvath says. “The Toads mine it and transform it into these blocks and use them for construction purposes.”

One reason Meledandri’s movies are successful is that “he’s allergic to exposition,” says Jelenic. “We never slow down and explain where the mushrooms came from and how they make your particles grow.”
Also, this is a very informative read, especially in light of the recent impressions

But to Miyamoto, assigning a personality and backstory to his most famous creation was less important than replicating on-screen the feeling of playing the games. “Rather than overthinking who Mario is, it was more important to visualize what we see in the video games as authentically as possible on the big screen,” Miyamoto says.

Just finished watching the movie. It was fantastic and the soundtrack was great.
There was a scene Mario playing Kid Icarus on a NES.
Two post credits scenes.
One is Bowser singing while playing the piano.
The other is a yoshi egg cracking in a sewer, and the movie ends with this.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the movie but I don't like crowded theatres so I'll have to wait 😭

Just came back from seeing it and thought it was fantastic really enjoyed it
Only thing I didn’t like was the licensed music didn’t really fit imo

Got out of the theater two hours ago, it was better than what I expected! A lot of stuff for the fans but not on the nose like Ready Player One, great characters (and the French dub was excellent), richer and better animation than we’re used to from Illumination… my only real issue as @Obsonet pointed out was the use of licensed music, and also maybe the pretty basic script

went to the cinema this morning to see this and I gotta say I unfortunately wasn't a fan of the direction the movie went in. I loved the beginning, for the most part at least, but after we enter the Mushroom Kingdom it definitely became lost on me. as many rightfully expected it's way more of an Illumination production rather than a Nintendo film and that shows throughout

for some reason I was expecting the post credits sequence to be Mario Galaxy or Rosalina related in someway and it wasn't. honestly, not sure why it was so hyped up when it was so minor, bleh

Good movie. The oversexualization of Toad's daughter was kinda weird and unexpected (thankfully went over my kid's head) but otherwise it was fun.

But to Miyamoto, assigning a personality and backstory to his most famous creation was less important than replicating on-screen the feeling of playing the games. “Rather than overthinking who Mario is, it was more important to visualize what we see in the video games as authentically as possible on the big screen,” Miyamoto says.

Oh god, lol, expect to see this quote brought up repeatedly forever now.

I have just seen the movie, and it has been a catahartic experience, I just couldn't believe I was seeing Mario on the big screen like that. It's definitely the best videogame adaptation, it takes things from almost every Mario game, not just the most recognisable things like all the movie adaptations use to do. Wonderful, I feel it was very, very short, a truly once on life experience.

I hope Mario will become an even bigger icon after this, not just as a videogame characters. Seeing all the people dressed, the kids with Mario hats, the atmosphere at the theater..... Truly magical. What a time tbe alive.

Me and my brother went to the cinema and watched the movie. I thought it was really good and the voices were no pretty good. Pratt’s voice grew on me and my God does Jack Black’s voice fit well as Bowser.

Now I want a sequel sooo bad 😫

Also I have to say
I'm really, really glad they gave sooo much importance to the Kongs. I thought they would be just a cameo, but not, a lot of Easter eggs also from Country and 64

Back
Top Bottom