• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

For whatever reason I think I liked the
GameCube load up ring tone
easter egg the best.

But a lot of the stuff that people say are "easter eggs" aren't really. Mario having a cat suit or tanooki suit (shown in the trailers) is like saying a Batmobile in a Batman movie is an easter egg, lol (heard a Youtuber put it that way).

I really liked it. Maybe if I weren’t fully Mario indoctrinated from decades of immersion I’d have nitpicks, but I’m excited as of now to see it again.

From what I can gather the main "easter eggs" were

Wrecking Crew guy
Jumpman arcade game (instead of DK/Mario)
GameCube start up chime ring tone on Luigi's phone
The Super Mario Bros. Super Show theme in the commercial
The use of yellow capes in the commercial (Super Mario World)
Mario playing an NES (will this be a Famicom in the Japanese version?)
Mario is playing Kid Icarus on the NES specifically
Some Mario 3 items in the Toad store
Princess mentioning "galaxies" when looking up at the stars
Diddy and Dixie Kong in the DK arena
They walk through a desert area that looks like Odyssey's desert levels
Yoshi Land/World
DK Sr's map on the wall is the Super Mario World map
Luigi has a flashback to Baby Mario and Luigi
DK starts throwing barrels in the fight against Mario
The sea eel/monster thing is out of Mario 64 or similar to
Bowser wants to marry Peach ala Mario Odyssey and has the white outfit
Koopas playing heavy metal theme from Bowser's Fury
Various musical cues but one major one is Captain Toad's theme plays when Toad shows up

I'm not counting stuff like Mario having a kart or tanooki suit or stuff that's obvious and in the commercials.

My theaters sold out of the popcorn tin early in the day (I went to a late evening screening) and they told me they weren't gonna get new ones.

FML. I really wanted one as a little storage box.

I was not expecting them to return to Brooklyn for the final act, it genuinely surprised me, which felt really nice.

Bowser's Peaches song he sings in the middle/end of the movie is definitely gonna be stuck in my head for a week.

Edit: Woops. Accidentally double-posted, so let me offer my thoughts with this post.

I might as well say for the record that maybe I would've also had a different viewpoint on the movie had I not known all the references, but man I felt like a little peewee kid again—lots of nostalgia kicked in with this movie. As I said in the other review thread, would definitely rewatch (this time with the family), and recommend to others.

Saw this today, the best way to describe it is "cute." Every time a reference came up, which is often, all I could say was "cute."

The visuals are fantastic, the action is fun and well-paced, and the whole thing feels authentic in a way a lot of adaptations don't. I had fun watching this and picking up on all the little references. Bowser stole the show as expected. He feels straight from the RPGs to me. I would legit watch an entire Bowser and Kamek movie.

But... If I'm being completely fair to this as a movie-liker and not just a Mario enjoyer... At the end of the day, it goes by too quickly, there isn't much in the way of character arcs, the dialogue is serviceable at best, and it felt like it lacked an emotional core. It has nothing to say, no real lasting impact beyond being an enjoyable action comedy romp. Things move too quickly, characters are too quick to trust, and there's not much emotional payoff.

I still enjoyed my time with it, but I can totally understand the criticism towards it. I can't imagine it's a great movie if you have no attachment to the source material. It's fun, but we should be asking for more than that, I feel.

It’s a great 90 minute best hits compilation of Mario and Donkey Kong. I kept smiling the entire runtime. It’s a shit film and nobody will think about it fondly after a year.

I hope Nintendo will add Mario's extended family into the games in the future.

Wrecking Crew guy
Yoshi Land/World
Various musical cues but one major one is Captain Toad's theme plays when Toad shows up

I'm not counting stuff like Mario having a kart or tanooki suit or stuff that's obvious and in the commercials.

You forgot the very first thing in the movie. Punch Out characters pics on the wall of Punch Out Pizza shop.

Saw this today, the best way to describe it is "cute." Every time a reference came up, which is often, all I could say was "cute."

The visuals are fantastic, the action is fun and well-paced, and the whole thing feels authentic in a way a lot of adaptations don't. I had fun watching this and picking up on all the little references. Bowser stole the show as expected. He feels straight from the RPGs to me. I would legit watch an entire Bowser and Kamek movie.

But... If I'm being completely fair to this as a movie-liker and not just a Mario enjoyer... At the end of the day, it goes by too quickly, there isn't much in the way of character arcs, the dialogue is serviceable at best, and it felt like it lacked an emotional core. It has nothing to say, no real lasting impact beyond being an enjoyable action comedy romp. Things move too quickly, characters are too quick to trust, and there's not much emotional payoff.

I still enjoyed my time with it, but I can totally understand the criticism towards it. I can't imagine it's a great movie if you have no attachment to the source material. It's fun, but we should be asking for more than that, I feel.

I do agree on some of the points tho I did enjoy it quite a bit.
-Action is amazingly violent and brutal a lot of the time
-Humor manages to be, somehow, actually golden most of the time (special mention to the dog)
-Bowser manages to somehow marry both his pathetic and threatening sides mostly very well
-the movie actually play straight a lot of emotional/dramatic moments (it is very sincere and earnest in its treatment of the Mario universe (there are very few cynical jokes, if any))
-Mario's characterization is very good and he has a decent arc that ties in a quite unexpected way later in the climax
-Luigi is mostly sidelined after first 20 minutes but he gets two pretty good moments later on to tie his arc together.
Now there's quite some flaws the movie has and that I did not like:
-Pacing is extremely fast, you can see why critics didn't like quite a lot of the movie, it could've used at least 20-30 additional minutes to turn into a good movie (as it is it's probably like, okay/passable if I'm being generous). This is one area they can improve on with the sequel, let some scenes breathe (like there's a scene in the middle of the movie where Mario clearly needed to get to a place and he's there the next scene with no transitional scene in between). Something must have happened in the editing room because there was clearly a lot cut (ending felt abrupt and actually left me confused for at least a bit when it comes to the final status quo, and the cheep cheep joke in trailer 2 back in november did not make it to the movie).
-DK has an arc and he has some growth but I feel there was one moment Mario and him share that could've been something greater if they didn't aim for something even more soul-crushing instead and that would be a better transition for their relationship later in the movie
-Toad becoming part of the group is rushed, he could've actually been cut out of the movie past the Mushroom Kingdom parts

All in all, they got quite a lot right, but there's a lot to improve. Hoping Nintendo takes the right lessons out of this so we get an actually good movie next time where I don't feel kind of conflicted watching it because I can't actually imagine this ain't getting a sequel, there's even like seeds planted in this for future payoffs down the line:

-Yoshi being in Brooklyn
-This whole abandoned underground area has some lore behind it, why the heck is there a hidden passage to the Mushroom Kingdom here
-Peach's origin being so vague and it being immediately followed by a line mentioning galaxies makes it very likely they are recycling the scrapped story idea from Galaxy that Peach is related to Rosalina).

Last edited:
Can't say I loved it but I was very impressed by how much actual Mario game stuff they were able to cram in. It's not even the slightest bit ashamed of being a video game movie and I can appreciate for that.

EDIT: Oh also, theather was absolutely PACKED. I'm talking big MCU movies/Deathly Hallows Part 2 tier. There's no chance in hell it doesn't make a billion.

had a great time

I can't say the criticism of the movie is incorrect but Illumination and Nintendo knew the right beats to hit to make me happy

Crazy idea but the more I think about it I thought it maybe would've been neat if Mario bumped into Mr. Iwata at some point or is in the background somewhere in a scene like just as a brief cameo. You want easter eggs ... that would've been one giant sized one. Or you know you could have a scene like where Mario gets knocked down and the citizens rally around him and Mr. Iwata helps pick Mario up or something.

Last edited:
Crazy idea but the more I think about it I thought it maybe would've been neat if Mario bumped into Mr. Iwata at some point or is in the background somewhere in a scene like just as a brief cameo. You want easter eggs ... that would've been one giant sized one. Or you know you could have a scene like where Mario gets knocked down and the citizens rally around him and Mr. Iwata helps pick Mario up or something.
Would have been great, not just him but also other Nintendo employees. I'm more than content with him being namedropped in the credits under the "Former Nintendo President Title" though.

Would have been great, not just him but also other Nintendo employees. I'm more than content with him being namedropped in the credits under the "Former Nintendo President Title" though.

Yeah I was thinking of a real quick moment with Mario being knocked down and a random group of Brooklynites come over to help Mario and the guy who helps him up is none other than Mr. Iwata. Maybe with Mr. Yamauchi right behind him.

Like the scene at the end in the pizzeria where Bowser is taunting Mario for being scared, you could have other NYC citizens hiding in there too and people asking who can save the city, and Mr. Iwata reaches his hand out to help Mario up and Mario realizes he has to do it and beat Bowser

I had a pleasant time with this movie, even though the story is paper thin. Some thoughts:

Pros:

- Chris Pratt was better than I expected. Not amazing by any stretch but still pretty decent. His casting makes more sense in context.

- I liked Mario and Luigi’s dynamic. They’re very caring and affectionate to one another, which is refreshing.

- The iconic music cues were wonderful (I actually got emotional at one point after arriving in the MK) and there are some fun gags around classic gameplay tropes.

- Some fun platformy action moments and kart racing.

- Jack Black is fun as Bowser

Cons:

- Cheap 80’s music cues are eye-rolly

- The story is paper thin and there is not much effort to make things flow naturally. For example, Peach recruits Mario for the mission in like 20 seconds. It could have used a smidge more breathing room.

- Peach and Mario are pleasant together but it’s still pretty under developed.

- I still could have used a smidge more world building and fleshed out references what life is like in the various Mario lands. I don’t expect great depth in this department and I know they probably wanted to avoid too much inside baseball. But it is awfully thin on this front.

Overall. It’s not really good. But I imagine it’s difficult to get the type of specificity and engaging script from a film collaboration with Nintendo. And Illumination isn’t great at the best of times. I can see a sequel taking a few more chances if this one makes good money.

I think the script needed one more pass. With a few changes I think they could've addressed some of the character issues a bit better. Based on what was already there I'd give the following notes.

- The
Dog scene at the beginning of the movie
happens because Mario doesn't listen to Luigi because he's the kid brother and Luigi complains about it (setup)

- Mario faces off with Bowser earlier in the movie and gets ... beat. Yes, gets his butt whupped. So in the ending Mario works with Luigi and they are able to defeat Bowser and save the day but only because they work together. (payoff from the above setup). And Mario learns that he needs to lean on his little bro once in a while and their relationship is better than ever at the end.

Like that stuff is just kinda basic storytelling, but the movie is kind of missing things like that, it's missing a lot of the "glue" that holds stories together.

I think they could've expanded DK Sr. always ripping on DK Jr. too and that being more of point when Mario and DK
bond over being disappointments to their fathers ... like I thought that was a nice little moment but too brief and not setup well enough

Absolutely adored this movie for very biased reasons.

Plot felt very rushed, yes, but this movie seems like it was 30 minutes longer and was cut down a bit.

It was such a cute and precious movie, and I wouldn’t have wanted anything else for Nintendo’s return to the big screen

I was surprised the fact that a character literally does a kamikaze attack in this movie.

Honestly...it needed to be longer. It's nothing but action with very little room to breathe. I don't think it really needs "character growth" per say because it's clear this movie is not interested in that. But

Luigi's flashback was probably one of the better beats of the story because it told you everything you needed to know about the Mario Bros dynamic and their closeness. If they had just 10 more minutes of that sprinkled throughout the movie, the reception would have been better. It probably wouldn't have been great, but there are plenty of good action films that have 0 character development.

Overall, I liked it. I had a pretty empty theater but i saw it at 11:00 PM on a Wednesday so I wasn't expecting many people. The earlier showtimes were full.

Wrecking Crew guy
Yoshi Land/World

Chunky Kong was also alongside Diddy and Dixie

So, going to post my longer impressions after yesterday evening.

I liked it a lot. Same goes for the fam, even my eldest, the grumpy teenage girl. Might prolly see it again with the two younger ones over the easter holidays.
Since we went to my "go to" cinema where i know a few people, i've asked how the movie does, and was told that the showings were all good full up to next week.
Our showing was packed too. To my surprise, not many children (it was a 7:45pm showing), very mixed audience. There were the videogame nerds (including me), some old folks who didn't look like they ever had a controller in their hands and so on.

Now first, about the flaws. They are there and i want some adressed.

1. Pacing
The pacing was TOO FAST, hot damn. There way to few instances where the movie is allowed to breath.
They should've slapped some 10 minutes on the runtime and just have some sections expanded to allow them to better work, or they should've cut down some bit.
Personally, i'd prefer the first option.

2. Character screentime
Some of the chars have, for me, not enough screentime. Further info in the following spoiler section.

3. Licensed music
While they were not totally off-putting, i feel like they were unnecessary. The Mario/DK OST archives have enough tracks that could've covered the parts where licensed music was used.

These are my main ones. They're not dramatic enough to give me a negative feeling, but they could've been avoided. For a game i would say "Could've used a liiiiiiiiittle bit more polishing close to the finish". ^^

In the end, for me, there's an overwhelming amount of positive things compared to a few nitpicks. Beatiful animation, how true it's to the source material, the easter eggs, the charming characters and their interaction with each other.
Bowser and Peach steal every scene they're in, DK is such a "dude" but also has some emotional sides. Mario's character and growth were also great.
The whole set of Mario chars were simply done great, main chars and the side characters.

We saw it with the german dub (because my youngest ones can't speak or understand english yet), but it's been a really really great dub work.
Mario, Luigi, Bowser and DK were spot on. Peach's german VA has some parts where the energy feels a bit too low, but she's done a very good job too.

Going into details, spoiler-tagged from here:

First about the character screentime flaw: It's about Luigi. He's important and present in the first part, but sadly falls behind when he got caught by Bowser's minions. Imo, they could've made the section longer where he hides himself from the DryBones in the abandoned castle. They could've done some "Luigi's Mansion Lite" here, instead of immediately being caught by the ShyGuys. The film has King Boo, as seen in the wedding part, why not use him more for the Luigi section?

The whole fam loved "Action Peach" (like my youngest daughter calls her now). It was great to see that she could've taken care of everything on her own, even when surrounded by Bowser and all his allies.

DK and Mario being "frenemies" was also great. The constant bickering between them was really funny, and it was charming to see how they both have something in common with being "disappointments" to their fathers.
DK hit a bit more there, though. Mario has Luigi, and yes also his mother, who're always there for him. DK only has Cranky Kong as close family, so it's of course more impactful that Cranky's kinda down on him. It does also explain his behaviour, always trying to get the crowd's favor, trying to never show weakness. "Just to be clear, i let you win!!!!!" ... indeed.

Loved Bowser being such an unhinged guy. Jack Black (and his german dub VA) were perfect castings for that.
Also, great music taste. I will always stan Hard Rock / Metal fans. His "Peaches" song(s) had the whole audience in tears during my showing. ^^
It also shows how much Jack Black was into the movie. As you can see in the credits, "Peaches" was written by him!

OST (outside of those unnecessary licensed songs) was AWESOME. The composer had a field day here. The medley during the first part of the credits gave me chills.

In the end it did feel that they went a bit too much on the safe side, though i wouldn't see that as a big(ger) flaw.
Though i wish and hope Nintendo and Illumination are a bit bolder for the inevitable sequel and "spin-off"-movies.

All in all, a very good movie. Not perfect, but we all had a great time with it.
I can understand that critics aren't on cloud 9 about the movie, but after seeing it, it definitely feels like quite a few reviews were unnecessarily harsh on it.

Especially compared to other Illumination films, and keep in mind that i have two younger kids so i've seen them all more than once, the kids, the Mrs. and I enjoyed it way more than some of those other movies.

If you're even slightly interested in the movie, go for it. I don't think you'd end up disappointed.

I was surprised the fact that a character literally does a kamikaze attack in this movie.

Loved it. It shows how unhinged of a shit-fuck item the Blue Shell is in MK! Because it came from a totally unhinged, crazy motherfucker of a Koopa! ^^

Going on twitter and hearing my friends and I've yet to see someone who disliked the movie.
It really feels like a big success even beyond the gaming world, or maybe the gaming world has become so big that it can sustain a full theatrical release.
I don't really care about the movie but I'm probably going to watch it with some friends next week, so I guess the got me too.

something I really enjoyed about the movie was its world-building how it aimed to reestablish a lot of the Mario canon based on the original source material as well as the newer entries in the series and spin-offs. they didn't go all the way with this like I was expecting, but what was there is still pretty cool !

I particularly liked how they reintroduced Mario and Luigi's origins from Brooklyn and incorporated Pauline (though I wish she had a bigger role outside of just a cameo - plus, I felt like they really mischaracterised her); kept Mario Odyssey's establishment of the Kingdoms, made Mario Kart into a Kong tradition, and kept Bowser's motivation as wanting to marry Peach, like what Odyssey also established. the Mario canon has never ever been consistent but I really appreciate the effort they made to incorporate so many different elements into one universe, especially what's borrowed from Odyssey

Plot felt very rushed, yes, but this movie seems like it was 30 minutes longer and was cut down a bit.
I don’t know the full extent of it for this one

only things I’ve heard : the scene where Mario and DK were in the fish’s belly was initially longer, they talked a bit more and it showed in more details how they get out ; also after the Mario and DK fight the crowd cheering was longer to let the audience breathe a bit but it was cut

but from what a friend who works in the animation field told me, Chris Meledandri refuses to have movies longer than 90 minutes, because it’s cheaper to make, because you can have more screenings per day, and because he thinks the children will get bored if movies are longer than that. Garth Jennings apparently had to fight really hard for Sing to be 110 minutes, pointing out how longer Pixar movies were able to break the bank etc. So I assume for this one the directors had to trim it down to make it 90 minutes.

only things I’ve heard : the scene where Mario and DK were in the fish’s belly was initially longer, they talked a bit more and it showed in more details how they get out ; also after the Mario and DK fight the crowd cheering was longer to let the audience breathe a bit but it was cut

but from what a friend who works in the animation field told me, Chris Meledandri refuses to have movies longer than 90 minutes, because it’s cheaper to make, because you can have more screenings per day, and because he thinks the children will get bored if movies are longer than that. Garth Jennings apparently had to fight really hard for Sing to be 110 minutes, pointing out how longer Pixar movies were able to break the bank etc. So I assume for this one the directors had to trim it down to make it 90 minutes.

Here's hoping Miyamoto will demand a longer runtime for future movies, too. He should have quite a pull on Meledandri, given he's not "just a director", but kinda on even terms with him about Nintendo/Illumination movies.

Reading your spoilered infos, i can only repeat that putting another 10 minutes to the runtime and having scenes being able to breath like that would've definitely had a benefit on pacing.

I hope the blu-ray release comes with an extended cut. I think overall that the movie's pacing works in its favor but I'd definitely appreciate a bit more once I get around to doing some heavy rewatching.

This is very interesting and would explain so freaking much. Give this movie a longer runtime, let things breathe a bit and it's for the better. I very much thought that scene was a bit wasted in opportunity by not having it be the transition to a better bond between Mario and DK but it's very possible the longer version was meant to be just that. There's also the Cheep Cheep joke from trailer 2 back in November that got cut.

This is very interesting and would explain so freaking much. Give this movie a longer runtime, let things breathe a bit and it's for the better. I very much thought that scene was a bit wasted in opportunity by not having it be the transition to a better bond between Mario and DK but it's very possible the longer version was meant to be just that. There's also the Cheep Cheep joke from trailer 2 back in November that got cut.

Sing 2 had a runtime 110 minutes long, and that was literally only two films ago in illuminations releases, if Nintendo had wanted it to be longer, it would have been.

Pretty sure they cut a lot of toads stuff as well

Bowser singing was hilarious. The lyrics themselves are not that funny, but he's so passionate about it, and the facial expressions were hysterical

I wish the movie had a longer runtime to flesh out the more emotional scenes... I mean the basics are there... just not developed enough
Mario and Luigi's dynamic, Luigi being so dependant on Mario and Mario himself feeling he fails his brother and his father... They could have done more, damnit! The flahback where they appear as babies is incredibly cute and charming though

The same with DK. DK's personality was spot on I think, but they should have made it more evident how Cranky treats him badly. And make him bonding with Mario longer!

All the problems with the movie I thikn could have been solved by giving more time to everything

Bowser singing was hilarious. The lyrics themselves are not that funny, but he's so passionate about it, and the facial expressions were hysterical

I wish the movie had a longer runtime to flesh out the more emotional scenes... I mean the basics are there... just not developed enough
Mario and Luigi's dynamic, Luigi being so dependant on Mario and Mario himself feeling he fails his brother and his father... They could have done more, damnit! The flahback where they appear as babies is incredibly cute and charming though

The same with DK. DK's personality was spot on I think, but they should have made it more evident how Cranky treats him badly. And make him bonding with Mario longer!

All the problems with the movie I thikn could have been solved by giving more time to everything
Agreed, and I do hope if they do another Mario movie they will go back to these two directors to do it again, since I do feel like none of my problems with the movie are things I want removed from it, as much as it are "there are things I wanted more of", and I tend to take that as a sign that despite flaws the team did manage to make something that was fun.

So with the lore implication that Kongs are responsible for building Karts, I accept this as being the background lore for the Mario Kart games.

This is also why Funky Kong was top tier in Mario Kart Wii all along. Not only is he a Kong, but a mechanics expert.

Back
Top Bottom