• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film The Super Mario Bros. Movie |ST| But first, we need to talk about Cinematic Universes (Open Spoilers)

Best film I've seen all year. Badass with an all-time great score and good references. Loved the emotional core and the DKCTF references. Hopefully we get a new Mario and DK game soon.

Minion is definitely one of the MK8 dlc characters and I can't wait.

I watched the Mario film.

Even as someone who’s played all the games and loves the series. Movie was mediocre and disappointing. Felt like they focused on pure set pieces and didn’t care much about letting the characters talk.

My favorite scenes were the few times the characters chatted a bit. But everything felt rushed. I hope the sequel focuses on letting scenes breathe a bit. And not trying to be so quick.

All and all. Disappointing watch. But I had a good time since I watched it with family who liked it.

I ended up like DK and Seth Rogen actually. Ana Taylor Joy was also pretty good honeslty. A DK film is act something I think can be great if they don’t make some of the same critiques as this film. Or at least make it better then this film, nothing wrong with a slower build up

One thing I really loved about this movie is it gives me hope for a return-to-form Mario RPG. With all the unique koopas and giving toads personalities, it gave me big Mario RPG vibes. Miyamoto was heavily involved so here's hoping.

Saw it last night. I’ve been a Nintendo “kid” since like.... 2004 when the DS came out so this movie felt really powerful to me. Idk how to describe it. I may have cried six or more times cause I was just so excited and overloaded with pretty Mushroom Kingdom imagery 😿

IMG-0203.jpg

Last edited:
I can't really share the hype. I felt it was pretty mediocre, the voice acting for a few characters was a bit offputting and felt rushed in many aspects. It's one of the few times that I've come out of the cinema thinking that a movie could've used 10 more minutes of runtime.

Even so, it was fun and had a few imaginative set pieces. The children in the audience absolutely loved it so I think it's a huge success. Maybe it can be a bit more daring in the sequel.

Quoted by: SiG
Can anyone who has seen the movie this weekend confirm if they really are playing the Tears of the Kingdom Trailer in theaters? I saw some chatter on twitter about it, but I'm not sure if it's true. But if it is, that might be enough to convince me to go see the movie again.
I think the trailer stuff is a per venue thing.

If they don't add destructable tracks in Mario Kart 8 successor, that will be a missed opportunity. Imagine recreating that Rainbow Road scene.....

I can't really share the hype. I felt it was pretty mediocre, the voice acting for a few characters was a bit offputting and felt rushed in many aspects. It's one of the few times that I've come out of the cinema thinking that a movie could've used 10 more minutes of runtime.

Even so, it was fun and had a few imaginative set pieces. The children in the audience absolutely loved it so I think it's a huge success. Maybe it can be a bit more daring in the sequel.
I'd say the movie does it's best to lay the groundwork for inevitable sequels while not trying to be sequel baity from the getgo (if the Yoshi egg was a sequel bait, it was pretty low-key...or maybe was just explanation for why the Brooklyn Main got flooded).

If anything was "offputting" in the slightest, it would probably be the aformentioned needledrops that replaced most of the original soundtrack.

OK, since we're openly talking about spoilers then..

The climax being at Brooklyn with the realities merging is 100% an intentional reference to the original Live Action movie, and I didn't expect them to do that; great stuff! The invincible Bros. were hype as heck

The climax being at Brooklyn with the realities merging is 100% an intentional reference to the original Live Action movie, and I didn't expect them to do that; great stuff! The invincible Bros. were hype as heck
I like how even this movie has a lot of parallels to the 1993 film, only the executions is more in-line with the Mario universe:

• Rival buisness Spike and his Wrecking Crew is pretty much a nod to the Scapelli's. Only this time, it was Mario and Luigi who left Spike to form their own buisness.
  • Discovering the gateway to the other world in the Brooklyn sewers. The Warp Pipe in this movie versus...the weird CG dimensional portal in the 1993 film?
  • Peach and Daisy similarly bing orphans with mysterious origins in their respective films.
  • Bowser's Castle somehow getting teleported due to the Banzai Bill "overloading" the Warp Pipe does feel like the merging of the worlds scene in the 1993 live action film.

I like how even this movie has a lot of parallels to the 1993 film, only the executions is more in-line with the Mario universe:

• Rival buisness Spike and his Wrecking Crew is pretty much a nod to the Scapelli's. Only this time, it was Mario and Luigi who left Spike to form their own buisness.
  • Discovering the gateway to the other world in the Brooklyn sewers. The Warp Pipe in this movie versus...the weird CG dimensional portal in the 1993 film?
  • Peach and Daisy similarly bing orphans with mysterious origins in their respective films.
  • Bowser's Castle somehow getting teleported due to the Banzai Bill "overloading" the Warp Pipe does feel like the merging of the worlds scene in the 1993 live action film.
Don't forget the Illumination film has a training montage where Mario learns to trust the fungus

I saw some discussion about video streaming services the movie would come to in the USA, but does anyone know if there are any deals in place for the European streaming services after the theatre run?

Nearly $700 million without hitting Japan yet is wild.

I really wish we hung out inside the Eel a little bit more. That dialogue between Mario & DK went by way too quickly. Their dynamic has the most potential to me.

The Yoshi Egg in Brooklyn could mean something very fun for the sequel but I honestly have no idea what else they'd do with a sequel. That movies going forward have this blank of a slate is a lot of fun.

Also, if the orphan origin doesn't wind up with Peach being Rosalina's daughter, I could see them pulling a Star Wars and making her the Mario bros.' sister.

It's funny they're using Yoshi as the big hook for the sequel, since Mario, Toad and Peach passes through Yoshi's Island in their travel to the Jungle Kingdom/DK Island. Like.. will the characters even be surprised to see a Yoshi?

Maybe the thing will be indeed a Yoshi running loose in Brooklyn; works for the Jurassic Park reference.. (irony in many fronts, considering how 1993 film released so close to Jurassic Park, and cool-man Pratt is now part of that franchise too, ugh..)

It's funny they're using Yoshi as the big hook for the sequel, since Mario, Toad and Peach passes through Yoshi's Island in their travel to the Jungle Kingdom/DK Island. Like.. will the characters even be surprised to see a Yoshi?

Maybe the thing will be indeed a Yoshi running loose in Brooklyn; works for the Jurassic Park reference.. (irony in many fronts, considering how 1993 film released so close to Jurassic Park, and cool-man Pratt is now part of that franchise too, ugh..)
I'm guessing on the second option too, when I saw the egg my brain didn't go to "oh Yoshi will appear" as much as it went to "oh stuff from Mushroom Kingdom is leaking into Brooklyn". Peach talking about diff galaxies in general makes me feel like the worlds being connected is a thing they wanna play with in the future.

Kids in the family have asked multiple times to see it again/are impatient for a home release, so I presume even after it leaves theaters this will still keep collecting cash. Maybe by Cinemacon they'll announce production on a sequel/spin off?

Honestly surprised by this, and would have imagined some of his Tenacious D work had charted higher than “Pick of Destiny”.
The D literally won the Grammy for Best Metal Performance in 2015 and somehow that didn't even chart?

I'd say the movie does it's best to lay the groundwork for inevitable sequels while not trying to be sequel baity from the getgo (if the Yoshi egg was a sequel bait, it was pretty low-key...or maybe was just explanation for why the Brooklyn Main got flooded).

If anything was "offputting" in the slightest, it would probably be the aformentioned needledrops that replaced most of the original soundtrack.
Yeah, not a huge fan of the needledrops either (although I am a sucker for the Beastie Boys so I lowkey liked that one).

5 bucks King B it's not dead.
If they follow modern Mario lore he's alive.
If they put him in a sequel hopefully they don't explain shit so critics would go "muh exposition, why is this? you should write all down, literally unwatchable!!" 52% on rt hahaha.

Quoted by: SiG
5 bucks King B it's not dead.
If they follow modern Mario lore he's alive.
If they put him in a sequel hopefully they don't explain shit so critics would go "muh exposition, why is this? you should write all down, literally unwatchable!!" 52% on rt hahaha.
Uh, did you not watch the post credits scene? King Koopa ain't dead. Just shrunk.

I think canonically there are many King Bob-omgs, much like there are many types of King Boos.
Has that being stated somewhere?.
I mean King Boo i can see that even just because Mario Sunshine's King Boo i wonder about japanese scripts.
But King Bob-omb i doubt, like Cyber said he does that a lot in Mario party.
King Bob-Omb explodes everytime and it's fine the second later in certain games like Mario Party
Yeah that's what I meant, now days that's the norm so they can do it without explain anything.
And Paper Mario Origami King kinda give some context.

Yeah, the "Another Castle" bit is really the only joke that kind of falls flat to me. The cooking distraction and salute gags almost immediately after though were pretty good.

my theater groaned
Nobody laughed in mine.

which saids something cause they were plenty of laughs for other stuff. Mini mushroom got a big one. Even before he ate it cause I feel some of the audience knew it was a mini mushroom.

I was expecting a reference is in another castle. Just not a very bad attempt at it. Oh well

Back
Top Bottom