• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the original Donkey Kong arcade game will have something to do with the early part of the movie while they're still on Brooklyn.. Pauline was there in the leaked poster too...

and Cranky was acting way too pleased to see Mario being humiliated by his grandson.. So they could had still have some backstory together.
I expect this to be the case too; too obvious of a setup.

If Mario and Luigi can accidentially end up in that world, why can't people from that world accidentially end up in ours from time to time? That's what I think they'll go for.

Someone described her look in this thread as conniving, and I'm like, yeah, that's an avatar that screams "evil chameleon".
I'm convinced it's a direct reference to the Queen's Gambit poster, because of Anya. Like they had to have done it on purpose.

I expect this to be the case too; too obvious of a setup.

If Mario and Luigi can accidentially end up in that world, why can't people from that world accidentially end up in ours from time to time? That's what I think they'll go for.
I just wonder how Wrecking Crew is going to fit into the mix. Mario and Luigi's original career in construction work, before they broke away and went for plumbing?

This is probably gonna be a long ramble, but screw it, this movie got me thinking - and I didn't see that coming when it was announced way back when. I'll try and apply line breaks to make the post a bit more digestible.

I wanna touch on Mario's characterisation first.

It seems like it's going to be a pretty standard journey: hero gets thrust into a situation, is initially in over their head and muddles through the obstacles in the way - before finally growing into the hero they need to be and saving the day. It's something we've seen a million times and will probably see a million times more. A tried and true formula.

Despite that, actually applying this formula to Mario will actually be something totally new for the character. Throughout the 35 years of games we've been playing, Mario has never been shown having to grow. Hell, Mario has very rarely been portrayed as even having character flaws.

So it makes sense that, when you see Mario overawed by the situation, or when you see him display a bit of overconfidence, or when you see him flail around and suffer a bit of slapstick - it feels weird. Hell, seeing Mario take a breath to compose himself before fighting DK is something we've never seen him do before.

From my POV, I actually think the formula is a good fit for a videogame origin story. Think about the first time you picked up a Mario platformer: you made mistakes, you got your proverbial kicked repeatedly, sometimes to the point of frustration - but you made it in the end. I think seeing Mario go through that is pretty cool, even if it isn't intended to be viewed from that admittedly meta viewpoint.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the discourse surrounding Peach has made me realise how much of a Catch 22 her portrayal is, especially today. Peach has been predominantly portrayed as the archetypal damsel in distress in the games. That generally wouldn't fly in movies today - hell, it barely flies in the games these days.

On the other hand, you inject the character with a bit of confidence and sass, and then suddenly she's pigeonholed as a "girlboss". I think it's telling that female characters never seem to be given the room to display different facets to their character.

I mean, are we really going to say that Peach won't be sweet and supportive to Mario, just because she displays some snark and exasperation at his setbacks? It is possible for her to be three dimensional, sheesh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Mario and Peach are generally blank slates in the games, which makes the decision to make them the main protagonists (at least initially) quite an interesting one. Out of the four series mainstays, they're the ones with the least characterisation.

I'm actually surprised Nintendo went with this tack, as the safest move would have been to have Mario and Luigi as the main protagonists - as per the title of the movie. Luigi could have been the overawed and bumbling brother, whereas Mario would have been the confident and talented hero. No one would have batted an eye.

But they didn't, and I actually respect the filmmakers for going with a structure that essentially means Mario has to go through some growth. Peach also has to be something more than a damsel or a passive character.

The games by and large do not do this, so that they're attempting it for the first Mario movie pushed by Nintendo is something I find really interesting. Of course, it's all in the execution, so here's hoping they can manage it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of other stray thoughts - I haven't mentioned Toad yet. The trailers seem to indicate that he's the "brave" one out of them all, as he looks like the only one who backs Peach up initially. Could be building the foundations for him being leader of the Toad Brigade in the future?

I've spoken at length about Mario and Peach, but I think putting Luigi at Bowser's mercy is a good move. It gives Mario some personal stakes that wouldn't have necessarily existed beforehand. It also means that Jack Black and Charlie Day can really bounce off each other, which should be entertaining at the very least.

I'm not worried about Luigi at all tbh. It's still the Super Mario Bros. Movie - he'll get his moment to shine and I'm sure it'll be brilliant.

---------------------------------------------‐------------------------------

I think that's enough for now, jeez. I haven't even touched on DK!

Honestly, I'm just happy this film looks as promising as it does. Things might turn but it looks like it'll be a competent family adventure at the very worst.

Above all I'm just thankful that it seems to be embracing being a Mario movie. This feels like an adaptation with the appropriate amount of reverence of the source material. The Sonic movies, which I've enjoyed a lot, didn't feel like a Sonic the Hedgehog movie until the second one. This is a Mario movie that isn't ashamed to be one, and that's fantastic.
Mario is the player, just like in the movie.

At first, the player is put in an unknown world where only the (genius) level design will help him understand the rules of this universe. At first, the player is hesitant ; loses lives, but then he learns, he gets better. Since each level usually shows a new gameplay gimmick, we learn, fail, get better.

In a way, this is the player’s journey.

It’s definitely not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I love that the movie is a “fish-out-of-water” situation where Mario really is just this blue collar guy in a dream-like fantastical shock.

I also find Pratt’s voice inoffensive, and to be honest - I feel that this movie will be more about what’s happening AROUND Mario, if that makes sense. So Mario may not even be talking in great lengths - but he doesn’t have to. That’s my theory, anyways.

It looks wonderful and I’m so excited. ❤️

I understand that Mario has to experience growth through the movie (not through mushrooms), but when movie Mario comes across as more jaded than movie Sonic I think people are justified in feeling a bit weird about it.

I understand that Mario has to experience growth through the movie (not through mushrooms), but when movie Mario comes across as more jaded than movie Sonic I think people are justified in feeling a bit weird about it.
I think thats Pratts fault, to a large degree though.

This may sound dumb but it doesn't seem the angle where Bowser loves peach will be shown in the movie
Probably for the best. With more acting nuance than the games, Bowser could easily come off as a predator which would hurt his marketability. At best he might offer her a chance to be queen of his conquered empire, but past that, I expect nothing

This may sound dumb but it doesn't seem the angle where Bowser loves peach will be shown in the movie

Probably for the best. With more acting nuance than the games, Bowser could easily come off as a predator which would hurt his marketability. At best he might offer her a chance to be queen of his conquered empire, but past that, I expect nothing
Yeah, you only have to see what's happened to poor Pepe Le Pew as a cautionary tale for how Bowser could be portrayed as a "sex pest". And funny enough, if this was truly the case, Bowser having no real love for Peach, beyond as a tool to wrest control of her kingdom and lands, would be yet ANOTHER "Super Show-ism" lifted for the sake of this film.

...On the other hand, all the new art that's been shipping Bowser and Luigi together is outright adorable, on the same token. :LOL:

Movie Sonic was jaded? Didn't get that from him at all.

Getting Luigi’d is such a transparently forced meme that only exists as potential viral marketing, and yet it’s Luigi so I can’t be mad.

We need a poster that reads "You wouldn't like me when i'm angry" with Peach holding that halberd.

Getting Luigi’d is such a transparently forced meme that only exists as potential viral marketing, and yet it’s Luigi so I can’t be mad.
the weird part is they're showing the meme before the context. there's definitely gonna be a scene in the movie but trying to force the meme beforehand is dumb

It may not be in the trailer, but it was mentioned in the character descriptions that leaked along with the promotional material, along with confirmation he will sing.

>Mario >Mario is a little guy from Brooklyn with big dreams. He's the classic "big brother" brimming with charm and confidence.
Luigi >Mario's devoted, but anxious, little brother and business partner. Where Mario is calm and confident, Luigi is...not.
Princess Peach >Not your typical princess, Peach is the charismatic, capable, confident leader of the Mushroom Kingdom and the sworn protector of the toads.
Toad >Toad is an adorable, cheerful, and perpetually snarky citizen of the Mushroom Kingdom who is desperate to go on his first adventure
Bowser >Obsessed with Princess Peach and gaining power, Bowser is King of the Koopa's and the film's crooning chanteuse-villain.

Calling it now: "Getting Luigi'd" is actually a scene where Bowser thinks he finally caught Peach, but it's Luigi in her dress!
ydzias1si6i71.jpg

the weird part is they're showing the meme before the context. there's definitely gonna be a scene in the movie but trying to force the meme beforehand is dumb
I honestly doubt there is context and think it was literally just made for this poster. Seems like something marketing thought would be funny than something that appears in the film proper. Like I’d be surprised if they reference the Super Show theme song like the Mario poster does.

I've always been lukewarm on the whole 'Bowser loves Peach' angle. It was weird enough in Sunshine where the plot hinged on Bowser Jr thinking Peach was his mother. I know it has its origins in the 'Popeye vs Bluto' dynamic typifying Mario and Bowser's rivalry, but it's dated pretty badly now.

I think you could have a plausible motivation in that Bowser is jealous of Peach, her popularity and her kingdom and is selfish enough to want to take it all for himself, up to and including imprisoning her, without it straying into 'him fancying her' territory.

I've always been lukewarm on the whole 'Bowser loves Peach' angle. It was weird enough in Sunshine where the plot hinged on Bowser Jr thinking Peach was his mother. I know it has its origins in the 'Popeye vs Bluto' dynamic typifying Mario and Bowser's rivalry, but it's dated pretty badly now.

I think you could have a plausible motivation in that Bowser is jealous of Peach, her popularity and her kingdom and is selfish enough to want to take it all for himself, up to and including imprisoning her, without it straying into 'him fancying her' territory.

I think it works better in the RPGs (Papr Mario and Mario and Luigi). But that's more because Bowser as whole has his own more or less comical anti-hero characterisation in them. In the classical Mario games it feels quite off, I agree on that.

By the way.. I noticed something on one of the leaked promotional material that should put an end on the New Donk City discussion;

It's an USA flag rolled up 🇺🇸;

USA.png

Also, on DK Vine Kongversation, they pointed out that all the license plates on vehicles on the picutre are American (I wouldn't know, obviously)

The end credits scene is going to reveal that the Peach in the movie has actually been Toadette the entire time.

Also, on DK Vine Kongversation, they pointed out that all the license plates on vehicles on the picutre are American (I wouldn't know, obviously)
oh I didn't even think to look. Those are New York state plates.

Their Bowser 3D Model is absurdly good. It feels like it has so much more personality than Nintendo's own design, even in games like Mario Strikers or Mario Rabbids.

Their Bowser 3D Model is absurdly good. It feels like it has so much more personality than Nintendo's own design, even in games like Mario Strikers or Mario Rabbids.

I mean, this was a requirement to be done for all characters. There's a difference between some cutscenes in a game and a full runtime animated movie. ^^

It's likely that Nintendo would also have to increase such details if their games were to feature more cinematic content and more voice acting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom