• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Are we ranking zelda games now?
It's actually kind of hard for me because I still don't know what to think of tears of the kingdom.
My list without TotK is:
1 breath of the wild
2 ocarina of time
3 link's awakening
4 majora's mask
5 Windwaker
6 a link between worlds
7 twilight princess
8 four swords adventure
9 minish cap
10 skyward sword
11 a link to the past
12 zelda 2
13 spirit tracks
14 phantom hourglass
15 Oracle of ages
16 the legend of zelda
17 Oracle of seasons

For TotK it will probably rank high but the fact that it is so derivative of botw muddles everything, I'm also 90 hours in but I still have almost half map left to explore and 2 phenomenon plus memories so I'll judge the game only when it ends since my opinion could change.

I’m 100h.

I still have 5 towers to open, 2 phenomenon to do.

I have to really organize my sky map. I have no idea what I have and what I haven’t explored.

Depths is about 30% opened.

I’ll take another 50h to finish this.

I believe I’ll go to try one of those cubes today.
I still have no idea where the master sword is.

...You can beat this game without the paraglider, can't you?
It’s seems like you can use Zonai vehicles to get around a lot of what the paraglider does, but that does still make me wonder how a few sequences play out.

I’m 100h.

I still have 5 towers to open, 2 phenomenon to do.

I have to really organize my sky map. I have no idea what I have and what I haven’t explored.

Depths is about 30% opened.

I’ll take another 50h to finish this.

I believe I’ll go to try one of those cubes today.
I still have no idea where the master sword is.
You're in for a fantastic time still.

BOOOO (sidequest spoiler) Patricia’s hints are coordinates, which means I have to turn off Pro HUD in order to search for those dang orbs efficiently. I guess I could just explore and hope to stumble onto them organically…

Overall really enioying the Gerudo regions caves, though. They’re all huge and full of goodies.

Having just this minute rolled credits, my list is

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Majora's Mask
3. A Link Between Worlds
4. Link's Awakening
5. Skyward Sword
6. Ocarina of Time
7. Phantom Hourglass
8. Spirit Tracks
9. The Minish Cap
10. Tears of the Kingdom
11. Four Swords Adventures
12. The Wind Waker
13. Oracle of Ages
14. A Link to the Past
15. Twilight Princess
16. Oracle of Seasons
17. OG
18. Tri Force Heroes
19. Adventure of Link

What!?!

I spent ages looking for it then I felt stupid when I realised it was in the sky but fell down inside Lookout Landing where that sidequest originally starts. I didn't realise there actually was an island up there!

Yeah, and I think the island is THE highest island to reach in the game. Maybe there's an Easter egg or chest up there.

Hopped in botw for a little bit and noticed this on the map wtf

ABA0-B1-EE-ECE7-4-C77-89-F6-E36-ADE8-E6559.jpg

Couldn't play much this week, so intended to move things along this weekend - 'unfortunately' I just ended up doing side stuff, amassing about 50 korok seeds, the last sky tower, finding more shrines, etc.

Yesterday I spoke to an old Goron in a spring who told me about another that had been lost during the upheaval, so of course I went looking for it, which then introduced me to a new NPC, who introduced me to boiled eggs. I love those little curiosity trails. If a bit of my map looks kind of empty, I know there's something there!

Today I made a couple of vehicles and GTA'd along some main roads chauffeuring koroks and checking out caves and various side quests I ran into. Also did some Tarrey Town stuff - the house so I can store some weapons, and the monster figures because they're fun.

Question about a location in the Depths - is there anything worth finding around the Blupee Burrow other than Blupees?

I didn't think it was possible, but I've dropped the game. I'm not digging it. I really don't want to travel through this hyrule again. Beat the first dungeon and I'm burnt out...lots of awesome stuff to do, but as someone whose not creative it does jack all for me. I have no interest or passion to play this game anymore than I have.

Fuck, this saddens me greatly.

Yeah, and I think the island is THE highest island to reach in the game. Maybe there's an Easter egg or chest up there.
There isn't.
I got up there not realising that the tablet part was the one that landed in Lookout Landing. As I was landing, my hovorbike fell through the middle bit. I looked around, placed a travel medallion just in case (it's still up there lol), and dived down, thinking I'd find the tablet. Which I did, in Lookout Landing, and slapped my forehead at my own stupidity. The crazy thing though? My bike was there, it surived the fall and hadn't despawned. I think the game despawns things based on horizontal distance instead of vertical distance? I have recalled things up from close to the ground while up on a sky island before.

I didn't think it was possible, but I've dropped the game. I'm not digging it. I really don't want to travel through this hyrule again. Beat the first dungeon and I'm burnt out...lots of awesome stuff to do, but as someone whose not creative it does jack all for me. I have no interest or passion to play this game anymore than I have.

Fuck, this saddens me greatly.
How long have you played? I gotta be honest the game felt like this for me at first but I pushed through and now I can't put it down. There's a ton to experience in this game despite using the same world imo.

is there anything worth finding around the Blupee Burrow other than Blupees?
Been a while since I rummaged through that place but yeah, I think all it had was Blupees. I think there might have been a chest there too, but you just get crystallized charges or something.
Fuck, this saddens me greatly
Eh, if you're not feeling it, just drop it. No sense in pushing it.

How long have you played? I gotta be honest the game felt like this for me at first but I pushed through and now I can't put it down. There's a ton to experience in this game despite using the same world imo.
35 hours. Throughly disappointed with the sky islands, and there is some.new stuff for the main land, I just can't stomach exploring the same areas I've already spent 150hours in BOTW. The depths were really cool at first, but I found those kind of lackluster too unfortunately.
Eh, if you're not feeling it, just drop it. No sense in pushing it.
You're right, just makes me sad cause Im a huge Zelda fan. I'd rate every 3d Zelda at a 9 or higher and this one just can't. Was hoping for a home run again. I mean, can't win em all I spose, just hoped.it would, yah know?

35 hours. Throughly disappointed with the sky islands, and there is some.new stuff for the main land, I just can't stomach exploring the same areas I've already spent 150hours in BOTW. The depths were really cool at first, but I found those kind of lackluster too unfortunately.

You're right, just makes me sad cause Im a huge Zelda fan. I'd rate every 3d Zelda at a 9 or higher and this one just can't. Was hoping for a home run again. I mean, can't win em all I spose, just hoped.it would, yah know?
Yeah it took me like 60-70 hours for the game to actually click with me haha, but I'd understand if you didn't have the patience for it, maybe just rush through the main story and move on?

I really appreciated the conversation here the other day about how complimentary the three layers are the game are from a game design / pacing / intention perspective. My play sessions really do often end up being pretty evenly split between them and feel so much more individually fulfilling than similar ones in botw did, especially post-main story content.

Reflecting on the depths specifically, I think what draws me to it in spite of having less variety and feeling more procedurally created is a very similar feeling to what draws folks to rogue-like games… however the permanence of it satisfies me in a way those typically don‘t. There’s no major intended throughline to the depths and they in many respects can be seen as largely optional. But, should you choose to go down you know you will at least see something new and get some treasure for your troubles.

My play sessions really do often end up being pretty evenly split between them and feel so much more individually fulfilling than similar ones in botw did, especially post-main story content
Honestly, for me, next time just put the stuff in the Depths onto the surface, or the sky. The surface has caves anyway.

BOOOO (sidequest spoiler) Patricia’s hints are coordinates, which means I have to turn off Pro HUD in order to search for those dang orbs efficiently. I guess I could just explore and hope to stumble onto them organically…

Overall really enioying the Gerudo regions caves, though. They’re all huge and full of goodies.
I’m just exploring now after beating the game and I’m glad I missed most of the Gerudo section and side quests, some of them are like mini dungeons, it’s nice to have new content after beating the game. One reason for the game being so massive that’s a huge positive in my mind is that I’m nearing 300hrs and still finding all kinds of new areas to explore.

Anyone got any cool videos/resources/tips for somewhat early-mid game ultrahand vehicle/contraption builds? 2 dungeons in so i’ve played a good amount but i feel like i haven’t been creative enough to take advantage of these mechanics. (nothing with any story spoilers please)
Austin John Plays has some good videos on Tears of the Kingdom

I'm just over the 100 hours mark I'm also having the question of "how much more do I try to do before seeing out the main story?"

I think the issue for me is that it's better to be mostly done with TotK whenever the credits roll, because there's plenty coming and stockpiled that I want to play. Good news is we're still over a month till Pikmin 4, and that was the deadline I'd set for completing this game. But I also need to clear up some other Switch stuff before Starfield arrives...

I'm in Akkala, anyway, and still enjoying myself. Once I'm done there it'll be time to head to the desert.

Climbed/ascended my way up Zonai Forge Island manually last night before finding that the entrance at the top was locked and I had to use a mechanism at the bottom to open it, which also turned on giant fans that would have made my ascent much easier. 🙃

Also did not know that you get more bang for your buck if you put 5 charges into the gacha machines. I haven't been using the Zonai inventory stuff because I don't really use those machines and feel like I need to save them for when I really need them, but this changes things slightly lol.

60 hour mark and still haven’t gone to a 2nd temple. I always make my way over to start then end up doing something else. Spent all day yesterday just on the Great Plateau.

Since I started exploring the map from Kakariko to Gerudo Desert I didn't find Hestu until after fully exploring like 5 regions...

I spent a loooot of time upgrading inventory slots yesterday.

Also did not know that you get more bang for your buck if you put 5 charges into the gacha machines
Know what, I’ve never tried putting in fewer than five…

I always make my way over to start then end up doing something else
This game is the epitome of magpie mentality

Dedicated my playtime today to (sidequest and ability spoilers) infiltrating the two facilities of the Yiga Clan in the Gerudo region. First did the Blademaster exam, it was a lot of fun tracking down those statues and tackling the combat challenges. Was a bit deflated with the reward, but thankfully the main HQ does let you learn the Earthwake technique. It’s pretty wicked!

Since I started exploring the map from Kakariko to Gerudo Desert I didn't find Hestu until after fully exploring like 5 regions...

It is one of the problems with the game being so huge. I only just got the shrine sensor after 100 hours wandering the world. And it hasn’t been that long since I’ve had the last ability you get.

Like 90 hours in and taking it slow. Im enjoying the little details more in this game, like more npc interactions across the map, treasure chests, cooler enemy camps, etc. Despite the map of course being similar, this game is even more enjoyable to just wander around random areas.

Finished the memories last night and teared up a bit after the final sequence in that questline. Really rewarding - I definitely preferred the memories here to BOTW's.

I only have the Gerudo area left to complete, but I'm going to really take my time exploring the region before starting the regional phenomena questline. I also had a lot of fun in Tarrey Town yesterday after completing the family side adventure :)

60 hour mark and still haven’t gone to a 2nd temple. I always make my way over to start then end up doing something else. Spent all day yesterday just on the Great Plateau.
135h, 10 hearts, nearly two stamina wheels completed, 27 Lightroot unlocked, 64 Shirnes done, 122 Koroks found, 5 memories and 6 batteries and a half, and just now i about to do my second Dungeon(fire), i already completed the Master Kohga quest

I found him in the first location early on, but then didn't know where he went.
The next time I saw him, I had well over a 100 seeds.

I was there for.. a while.

I found him in the first location earl only, but then didn't know where he went.

Hestu is on Lookout Landing and after severals Koroks Seeds transaction with him, he permanetly stay on Korok Florest, just like in Breath of the Wild

I found him in the first location early on, but then didn't know where he went.

I never found him in the first location in my playthrough. Just suddenly in Lookout Landing when I was like 60 hours in.

(Found him in his first area while helping my son in his game yesterday.)

Fun fact:
Zelda ToTK is now the videogame with more perfect scores on MC history with 71 perfect scores. (Zelda BoTW in 2nd place with 70 perfect scores).

Back
Top Bottom