• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Oh yeah, I love Super Mario Sunshine
who would have thought that I had to wait for the new zelda to get a mario sunshine and galaxy sequel.
This main quest was incredible btw, from the story of sidon to exploring the zora region and solving the riddle to the underwater cave and the big lead up to the water temple all with low gravity and finally the dungeon which, while not as structured as the fire temple, was still delightful, and that music was too good, I was getting teary eyed just listening to it. And the big boss being a little gremlin squid demon was just the cherry on top, such a cool goofy boss fight that only zelda can give. I was getting a bit tired of the game but this entire segment was truly perfect
I'm over the 100 hours mark and I still have a dungeon to do (gerudo which will probably be the best one) and all the southern region to explore and a part of the east region plus a lot of depths to explore, this game is insanely massive.

Did the labyrinth today and it's a much more interesting experience than in BotW. I wasn't expecting the final labyrinth on the Depths, even if it was terribly short.

Only shame was that the boss of the quest was a Flux Construct. It'd have been really cool to have a unique boss here.

Gah something about these shrines just hits so much better than I remember botw’s. They have the magic of a unique Mario level gimmick, sadly (or similarly if NSMB lol) just lacking themeing

Gah something about these shrines just hits so much better than I remember botw’s
I think overall in BotW I pretty much just did the intended solution, whereas in TotK there's a much greater incentive to come up with wackier solutions.

Speaking of shrines (shrine spoiler), the fake Rauru's Blessing got me chuckling a bit.

Booted up my game after about a week of not playing and did some exploring, found a cave blocked by ice. Mind was blown if you equip a Fire Lizalfos weapon and just hold it, ice will melt around you without you having to swing it at all.

Yesterday I tried to do the maze near the Gerudo Desert, so I teleported to the tower closest to it but I saw a Korok needing help so I brought it to their friend. Then a Dragon flew by really close so I had to chase it. I shot it and the horn fell in a different direction, so I chased it and found a shrine crystal that I had to take up the river in a 4x4 I made with some pieces that were laying around. I finally tried to make it back to the maze, but ended up infiltrating a secret Yiga base and going on a side quest related to 5 statues...However halfway through it I found a sick guy in need of some Gleeok guts, so as there was a fire one closeby I fought it, but then I found a shrine, which led me to another tired Korok next to it. As I was transporting it with a hoverboard through the desert a Molduga started chasing us. I ended up falling through some sinkholes in the desert into a huge cave/minidungeon and spent some time solving it. When I got out a star fragment fell from the sky and I had to go to get it, but the Molduga from before was in the way again so this time I fought it. And then I realized that several hours had gone by and I was on the opposite side of the maze that was my original destination, but not any closer to it, and with 2 new quests underway.

This is the short version, there were like 10+ Korok seeds, NPCs, some caves, shrines, a multilevel enemy base and other stuff along the way. I'm not sure if it was in the same session but I think I also fought an Ice Gleeok at the very beginning, really close to where a Stone Talus suprised me. And there was a lot of stuff I was strong and didn't follow, like the painter guy prompting me to go into a special sky island, a couple of falling ruins to lift me into the sky here and there, a nearby chasm to an unexplored region on the Depths...

And all this happened the same day I saw someone on Reddit saying that the Desert was empty...what?!?!?!

Booted up my game after about a week of not playing and did some exploring, found a cave blocked by ice. Mind was blown if you equip a Fire Lizalfos weapon and just hold it, ice will melt around you without you having to swing it at all.

Reasons why you should have two wizard staffs weapons, one fused with a Ruby and one fused with a Sapphire, in your weapon stash all the time:

• You can melt ice with the Ruby one, you don't even have to be in combat stance, it's enough if it's on your back
  • You can warm yourself with the Ruby one in cold areas, and vice-versa cool yourself with the Sapphire one in hot areas, by doing the same as above

QoL!

I'm never going to wear or upgrade so many of these armour sets, and they sell for 600 rupees a pop, yet I'm still keeping them around for some inexplicable reason.

Why am I the way that I am.

I beat the Talus for the Momosik Shrine in the volcano, but now the Crystal isn’t spawning… the light goes to it then just disappears. Unfortunately the only help I can find for this on Reddit is behind a locked community. This happen to anyone else?

You can melt ice with the Ruby one, you don't even have to be in combat stance, it's enough if it's on your back
My “melting stick” is a Boulder Breaker fused with the heart of an Igneo Talus. I’ve turned a Champion’s weapon into a glorified warmer.

Why am I the way that I am.
Because clothes are like video games— we only buy ‘em, not use ‘em

This happen to anyone else?
Not for that specific boss but it happened to my friend, the laser ends in thin air, and he eventually just gave up, reloaded and beat the boss again

My “melting stick” is a Boulder Breaker fused with the heart of an Igneo Talus. I’ve turned a Champion’s weapon into a glorified warmer.

Not for that specific boss but it happened to my friend, the laser ends in thin air, and he eventually just gave up, reloaded and beat the boss again

It's okay, it's just the Goron one after all.

lol true. Digital hoarding is so, so easy to do.

I have decided to sell all the Monster Masks as I've literally never used them and, frankly, never will. That and Majora's Mask combines all of them into one item so they're useless when I eventually get that.

I beat the Talus for the Momosik Shrine in the volcano, but now the Crystal isn’t spawning… the light goes to it then just disappears. Unfortunately the only help I can find for this on Reddit is behind a locked community. This happen to anyone else?
The community will probably reopen again tomorrow, there's a wide protest going on against the new prices Reddit has set for their API access.

That save is long gone lol, but I imagine with a Blood Moon reset it will be fine.

Yesterday I tried to do the maze near the Gerudo Desert, so I teleported to the tower closest to it but I saw a Korok needing help so I brought it to their friend. Then a Dragon flew by really close so I had to chase it. I shot it and the horn fell in a different direction, so I chased it and found a shrine crystal that I had to take up the river in a 4x4 I made with some pieces that were laying around. I finally tried to make it back to the maze, but ended up infiltrating a secret Yiga base and going on a side quest related to 5 statues...However halfway through it I found a sick guy in need of some Gleeok guts, so as there was a fire one closeby I fought it, but then I found a shrine, which led me to another tired Korok next to it. As I was transporting it with a hoverboard through the desert a Molduga started chasing us. I ended up falling through some sinkholes in the desert into a huge cave/minidungeon and spent some time solving it. When I got out a star fragment fell from the sky and I had to go to get it, but the Molduga from before was in the way again so this time I fought it. And then I realized that several hours had gone by and I was on the opposite side of the maze that was my original destination, but not any closer to it, and with 2 new quests underway.

This is the short version, there were like 10+ Korok seeds, NPCs, some caves, shrines, a multilevel enemy base and other stuff along the way. I'm not sure if it was in the same session but I think I also fought an Ice Gleeok at the very beginning, really close to where a Stone Talus suprised me. And there was a lot of stuff I was strong and didn't follow, like the painter guy prompting me to go into a special sky island, a couple of falling ruins to lift me into the sky here and there, a nearby chasm to an unexplored region on the Depths...

And all this happened the same day I saw someone on Reddit saying that the Desert was empty...what?!?!?!
Desert is not empty lol. I only have been there briefly a couple of times so far and noticed some really cool caves, and even some fun stuff in the depths.

Reasons why you should have two wizard staffs weapons, one fused with a Ruby and one fused with a Sapphire, in your weapon stash all the time:

• You can melt ice with the Ruby one, you don't even have to be in combat stance, it's enough if it's on your back
  • You can warm yourself with the Ruby one in cold areas, and vice-versa cool yourself with the Sapphire one in hot areas, by doing the same as above

QoL!
what I do is attach a Ruby to a shield so that I'm free to swap between weapons in cold areas - it also melts ice and doesn't cost any durability - since a lot of the combat involves bows and flurry rushes, I usually find a couple other rubies before the shield breaks so it's almost like an infinite stash!

lol true. Digital hoarding is so, so easy to do.

I have decided to sell all the Monster Masks as I've literally never used them and, frankly, never will. That and Majora's Mask combines all of them into one item so they're useless when I eventually get that.
only Midna helmet/Korok mask are useful in the game the rest you can sell with no pity

This is insane, after 100+ hours I found a new game mechanic in a sky island
light mirror puzzle are back. This game is just incredible.
Also the low gravity segments are so much fun that I'm wondering if all the sky islands should have been low gravity.

If everything lines up I will finally roll credits tonight. I've contemplated taking on two specific things in the depths before hand but I'm so set on beating the game that I don't want to think about it anymore lmao.

I don't think the ending will change my thoughts that this is a 10/10 though.

Finally opened the TotK Zelda Pro Controller I was considering whether to keep or return, and both sticks immediately turned out to have drift/centering issues. The sticks not being centered, even just slightly off, is a real issue in TotK because even if it's close enough to not trigger any camera movement etc. it will not allow you to use gyro aiming. So perhaps every fifth time I want to shoot an arrow or use Ultrahand or something it won't let me aim with motion. Great. Calibration and updating did nothing.

Guess higher powers wanted me to return it after all. 😛

Well, I'm pretty much done. All shrines, all light roots, and I'm not enough of a completionist to finish the caves or Koroks. I'll probably pop in again from time to time to clean up some side quests, but I think I'm now living in a post TotK world.

It's been a great experience, definitely one of the best games I've played. It's going to be a while before a game dominates my attention like this again.

Finished all the labyrinths and got the sick-looking full evil spirit armor set. Even increases your stealth, my favorite armor perk. Relationship with Sheikah outfit has ended.

130 hours in and still only 2 main dungeons done. A 3rd mini dungeon/temple too. I stumbled upon it like, wait voice acting? This area must be special! So cool!

I just can't stop with this game. I've only just realized that if I found a Bubble frog the cave has a check mark afterwards! I am in love with finding Korok's, I think I've found about 290 so far. Getting them from one place to another was boring at first but now that I really understand some of the games mechanics I can't wait to strap them to some odd ACME device and just see what happens lol. The NPC's are so much more fun in this game!

I'm still super in the dark about what's going on with the Zora's, Terry Town, Gerudo, and the Deku Tree. I don't even know if the Great Deku Tree is in the game. I just assume so because of the Koroks.

Question: Climbing gear! Are they located all in the same region? Which region?

Finally got to all 152 shrines. Had to rely on a guide to track down the last two. Turns out using the Hero's Path to figure out which shrines you have not walked by before was a bad idea when you received the sensor late. I did amass a lot of korok seeds and Bubbul Gems along the way. As a whole, I think that by virtue of being a sequel, TOTK won't have the same level of impact as BOTW. However, they manage to bring upon the foundations of BOTW to make an excellent sequel with so much potential for experimenting.

I love the little brain teasers that the puzzle shrines offer. Or the chaotic, hectic combat scenarios that often challenges you to use everything the environment offers to you. There's a little too much Rauru's Blessing shrines but getting to each of them is also a little puzzle of their own.

Combat is harder without stasis for breathers. Fortunately, with enough hearts and decent armor, I was mostly able to brute force a victory in most situations.

Really like the world building. Some of the random NPCs, I actually remember from BOTW. Even if I can't remember their name. Like that flying obsessed guy teaming up with the Rito at Eventide Island for a whole new mini game.

At this point, I am mentally ready to put the game down (till DLC, if any). The game is great and buying it on Day 1 was money well spent. Playing and talking about TOTK while on the hype train was as much an experience as playing the game itself. Very satisfying experience.

Question: Climbing gear! Are they located all in the same region? Which region?
(Armor spoiler) No, the pieces of that set are in different regions. I think that's true for every armor set that you can't just buy in a shop. Talk to some fashionable NPCs, some of them will give you a heads up regarding these outfits.

Finally got to all 152 shrines
Okay, nice to know the total number haha. I don't know if I'll go out of my way to finish them all, but it's nice to know.

You can fuse star fragments to staffs and you'll shoot magic beams! They look the same color as the Dazzle fruit explosions, so I guess that they may be able to disarm enemies and OHKO stalfos...

You can fuse star fragments to staffs and you'll shoot magic beams! They look the same color as the Dazzle fruit explosions, so I guess that they may be able to disarm enemies and OHKO stalfos...
I tried it... it's really only useful for lighting up the darkness

So I decided to finish the game after 195 hours. Of course I'm not even close to stop playing, I still have a lot of things to do, I just wanted to see the ending.

Everything was freaking epic. Going deeper and deeper to the source of the gloom. Fighting his army with the sages. Dueling with Ganondorf. His dodges! The way his health bar expanded in his second phase! The dragons fight! Quite possibly the most epic ending of all Zelda games. I mean I still have OOT ending as number one, but nostalgia aside this would top it.

Funny thing. Before I saw my completion rate I guess 63%. I got 62.88%

My unsolicited advise here is: do not waste star fragments on rods or selling them - if you are planning to fully upgrade your gear, the number of star fragments needed is simply absurd. And if you don't care about gear? Then sell them and don't look back.

Honestly, my tip for gear upgrades is:

• Focus on a "main def" one for fights and upgrade that fully
  • For everything else, if the set gives you a set bonus when you wear the whole set, do those two upgrades per piece that unlock said set bonus and call it a day

My unsolicited advise here is: do not waste star fragments on rods or selling them - if you are planning to fully upgrade your gear, the number of star fragments needed is simply absurd. And if you don't care about gear? Then sell them and don't look back.
What? I can fuse stars pieces with rods?
Can I play as Rosalina?

After days of doing side quests like Lurelin and Eventide and korok-hunting as well as fucking around doing nothing productive, I've gone back to Gerudo. I forgot where Riju was though and instead of checking the quest text again, I just zoomed around the desert exploring on a fan-powered sand sled I made. As a result I did what I'm pretty sure is most of the puzzle to reveal the temple before meeting Riju, who I got to above ground instead of via the cave system I'm apparently meant to have used to reach her? Need to backtrack and check that out for the inevitable bubbul gem.

I can see DLC being focused on Depths or Sky Islands. And I get why they didn't load content on the sky islands. Think about how tedious it would be to constantly build contraptions to float from island to island. The depths could have used a bit mroe content, because all you're really doing is finding lightroots.

Imma just say it. The Sky in Skyward Sword was a lot better than the Sky in TOTK. At least that one had settlements and the Loftwings.

Imma just say it. The Sky in Skyward Sword was a lot better than the Sky in TOTK. At least that one had settlements and the Loftwings.
Biiig disagree as much as I love Skyloft.

Building your own stuff to traverse the islands is way better and more organic than loftwings, and the actual gameplay of the Sky Islands is better in TotK by a country mile.

A settlement in TOTK’s sky just would’ve taken away the one thing SS’ has over it. Everything else is drastically better

Biiig disagree as much as I love Skyloft.

Building your own stuff to traverse the islands is way better and more organic than loftwings, and the actual gameplay of the Sky Islands is better in TotK by a country mile.

A settlement in TOTK’s sky just would’ve taken away the one thing SS’ has over it. Everything else is drastically better
I just like the vibes of the Sky in Skyward Sword a lot better. Skyloft is the better opening area and is a better town than anything in BOTW/TOTK. Flying around on the Loftwings is super fun. The Sky in TOTK is just kinda boring to me, outside of the Temples.

I would've liked some more content up there in the sky other than an occasional bossfight or a temple (or shrine), at least another settlement comparable to the tutorial island would be nice. Same kinda goes for the depths (bring back Subrosians, Nintendo!). (But I can also see why they didn't do it, at least pertaining to the sky I guess)

110 hours in and just recieved what has to be the final quest. Bittersweet.

I'm going out of town this weekend, so I will attempt to see the story ending friday night. I still have a ton left to do post completion, and I hear the finale is amazing, but wow I really don't want this main quest line to end. So conflicted. Just the thought of being close to wait mode for a new Zelda (and/or DLC) stings.

I absolutely loved how after a certain part in the story they assign like three extra things you should do but quickly the dialogue changes to a pretty humourous and winded conversation boiling down to "oh wow, you already did that Link. Impressive!".

It felt like the game/devs patting you on the back for exploring and going about things your own way. Such a feel good "thanks dad, you taught me well" moment.

No. I love them on rods. There's other ways of getting money.

Huuh so I found a very weird bug:

(Spoilers for a miskos treasure sidequest)

The Dueling Peaks riddle that requires you to reproduce the pattern you find in one cave on the other cave is broken in my game. The pattern I found in my game doesn't work at all, so after trying many different things, I gave up and went to look it up, and to my surprise, the pattern that the walkthroughs were showing were different from mine! And this pattern I found on the internet worked, but not the one I found in my own game. I even took a picture of it so I can prove it, I still don't understand what's happening exactly.

This is the picture I took in my game (doesn't work to open the door):
20230614-193318.jpg

This is the picture I found online (worked):
Tingle-Armor-Set-Tingles-Shirt.jpg

Anyone has any idea of what happened here?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm incredibly dumb lol it's the same picture but rotated

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom