• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Just imagine Totk's underground rich and diverse as Hollow Knight's world.

That would take another three years of work I know. My point is that the depths are huge as the overworld but we have only the magma section as a unique environment. There is only one kind of unique enemy, the little frogs. Cmon. Where are the insects? The spiders? Really, the underground could've been another kind of game, but they really prefered quantity over quality.
that's a 2d metroidvania that doesn't even have a surface for the most part.....

also hilarious since silksong is taking even longer than TOTK

Glory to Master Kohga

Web-capture-9-6-2023-18037-twitter-com.jpg

Just finished after 135 hours. If I had to guess I'd say I did about 70% of the content. I feel very full haha. If they announce DLC I might come back to it a few months and do some more shrines and sidequests and such, but for now I'm definitely good.

Overall I thought it was pretty good, it improved over BotW in most ways, though I still have a lot of issues with this structure of Zelda game. But after being so disappointed in BotW it was just nice to enjoy a Zelda game again. I don't think it's quite GotY material for me, but I do think it's a great game nonetheless.

Imagine how much more terrifying gloom hands would be if they grabbed you, a crimson red Dead Hand would then emerge out of the ground and slug his way towards you like in OoT.

Reminder to always read item descriptions. (minor weapon spoiler) Just learned that Forest Dweller weapons let you keep reusing "bursting" items that you fuse to it. So now I'm lugging around a dedicated puffshroom spear. Those Bokoblins will never know what hit them.

Very, very, very late-game spoiler:

So I've beaten the game, gotten all the sages, etc

Someone told me that Impa should appear back in Kakariko at some point during all this. I've done the floating ring ruin bit, gotten the last sage, and so on. Is Impa back in Kakariko? Where does she appear, if so? I'm dying to talk to her

Someone told me that Impa should appear back in Kakariko at some point during all this. I've done the floating ring ruin bit, gotten the last sage, and so on. Is Impa back in Kakariko? Where does she appear, if so? I'm dying to talk to her

Did you check upstairs where she lived in BotW?

Is it just me or do the towns have way better transitions between their day and night themes?

I swear it sounds new to me, though maybe I just listened to them separately regularly and forgot the transitions 😅

Is it just me or do the towns have way better transitions between their day and night themes?

I swear it sounds new to me, though maybe I just listened to them separately regularly and forgot the transitions 😅
Not to mention that Tarrey Town finally has a night theme. It really surprised me when I heard that, I was like "wait, I don't remember this from BOTW!".

Same here. Finished the memories and got the sword. Finished all main quests except the final boss. She’s not at forgotten temple or kakariko for me

Edit: Nevermind! She’s at Forgotten temple

Rolled credits after a ridiculous 185 hours.

What an incredible experience this was. Genuinely feels like the development team went for broke and tried to put everything in the game. Which is such a departure from how minimalist Breath of the Wild was in all fronts. But I think both games really compliment each other really well. Tears of the Kingdom feels like the "second half", the "after the master sword pull" section that Zelda games tend to have but Breath of the Wild was missing. Breath of the Wild is clean, cohesive and very pure in that it has a vision that it stays true to throughout. Tears of the Kingdom is complex and dizzying, pulling in ten different directions at once at all times.
What's amazing to me is that, despite the breadth and the ambition, it tends to nail nearly everything. I do have a few complaints, but a lot of them amount to, "I wish there was more *", which is pure gluttony at best. Other things just wind up not mattering. Like, I really dislike the story, but when everything comes to a head, the art style, the music, the gameplay, the events playing out in front of me, there's a sensation pure emotion that blows away most things I've experienced with stories and characters that I actually liked. It's just phenomenal. Amazing that it could impact me this much despite me not particularly being invested in that side of things.

The crazy thing to me is that, as all-encompassing and definitive as Tears of the Kingdom feels, it's only just scratching the surface of what the team can do with the concepts they've developed. Aonuma has implied that the freely traversable world of Breath of the Wild was an idea that had long gestated at Nintendo, but was only able to be realised as technology progressed. What's clear to me is that the ideas in Tears of the Kingdom, and the ideas in the series as a whole are still waiting for technology to catch up. This has long been a series where the player manipulates light and shadow, water and fire, wind and time. I think back to Ocarina of Time and remember the very first dungeon in the game expecting me to burn spiderwebs by lighting wooden sticks on fire and carrying that fire over, or to break a web by falling onto it from an appropriate height. This stuff felt tactile in a way that puzzles in, say, Resident Evil just didn't. They weren't systemic, but they felt that way.
And now they are that way. But not all of them. Water, light, these things are still fudged, and we're further still away from making the "collapse the three pillars and make the top floor fall into the floor below" thing from Link's Awakening a "reality". Let alone the combination of these things and the cause/effect of the player propagating across the entire world in the way I envisioned in my open-air dungeon concept. I genuinely think Zelda stands to gain more from tech advancement than any other series I can think of, because simulation is a core part of the gameplay. That wasn't immediately obvious when we were just burning bushes and bombing walls in 1987. But it is now.
I'm sure this is contrary to what a lot of people think, but for me, the future of the series shines so bright. It's never been brighter. Hope I live long enough to see it develop further.

I'm sure this is contrary to what a lot of people think, but for me, the future of the series shines so bright. It's never been brighter
I’m pretty sure the vast majority of people love BotW/TotK and would love to see more of it.

I genuinely think Zelda stands to gain more from tech advancement than any other series I can think of, because simulation is a core part of the gameplay
When you put it like this, it does feel like Zelda was always destined to evolve into an immersive sim, and I am all for it.

I’m pretty sure the vast majority of people love BotW/TotK and would love to see more of it.
Yup, though I hope Nintendo is ready to leave this Hyrule behind. What I'd want is for their challenge for the next game to be less about scale and more about pushing the density and level of freedom in not just traversing but also shaping the world. I think this would prompt them to do a slightly smaller (but still big and open) world, maybe 15-20% smaller than BotW (but all new), but instead use the assumed increased power of the next system to have more things going on in a given area (more detail, more NPCs etc.) and an opportunity to make bigger and more persistent changes to the world.

But most of all, make a new world, that's really all that feels like a must for me.

I’ll be in my 40s before we see a sequel, won’t it?

I’m about to be 34. I have a feeling. Yikes.

Waiting for games giving me existential dread.

I said I was gonna set out for Gerudo but nooo, entered a cave and hurtled straight into a series of distractions that ended with me chilling on the back of Farosh.

Yup, though I hope Nintendo is ready to leave this Hyrule behind. What I'd want is for their challenge for the next game to be less about scale and more about pushing the density and level of freedom in not just traversing but also shaping the world. I think this would prompt them to do a slightly smaller (but still big and open) world, maybe 15-20% smaller than BotW (but all new), but instead use the assumed increased power of the next system to have more things going on in a given area (more detail, more NPCs etc.) and an opportunity to make bigger and more persistent changes to the world.

But most of all, make a new world, that's really all that feels like a must for me.
I feel like for the next game they can really give us something spectacular with underground/cave areas that fully interconnect with each other and the surface. TotK, as great as it’s caves and Depths are, were always in some way going to be functionally limited in their seamless traversal due to them being something added “after the fact” to BotW’s overworld. The caves had to fit in areas that made sense and the Depths are functionally more of a parallel world. I feel like from a development perspective they can get much more creative in the next game if they build out a full game world with the idea of underground areas from the get-go, with a surface world that is designed to feed off the underground parts, and vice versa. I don’t expect nor do I really want a full-blown Metroidvania down there, but a game world that is built out with multiple layers in mind can give an even better sense of depth and complexity to the overworld.

20 hours into after beating the game and had my first weird bug. Got like 4 consecutive blood moons in the middle of the afternoon.

So the second patch of sky I mapped was above Tabantha frontier, around the 10 hour mark. There was an island group super high up there that I couldn't reach and, 90 hours later, I remembered to go back. One of my favourite sky island clusters so far, and I got a very nice helmet to boot.

Just finished after 135 hours. If I had to guess I'd say I did about 70% of the content. I feel very full haha. If they announce DLC I might come back to it a few months and do some more shrines and sidequests and such, but for now I'm definitely good.

Overall I thought it was pretty good, it improved over BotW in most ways, though I still have a lot of issues with this structure of Zelda game. But after being so disappointed in BotW it was just nice to enjoy a Zelda game again. I don't think it's quite G

I am like 20 hours in and a bit lost to be honest. There are too many systems and layers and things to do and I feel overwhelmed and I am basically playing like it was BOTW and not enjoying it as much because of that.

I've got all the abilities, one temple down, some memories and explored only a bit of the Depths. One thing I am constantly struggling with is traversal (especially in the sky) so I guess the first thing to do would be to enhance my batteries to rely more on vehicles? For that I need to farm zonaite in the depths or is there another way?

Any advice in general? After al the hype I appreciate the game on a rational level but it didn't really click with me it so far. It doesn't help to be honest that they replicated the BOTW formula almost to a T, as I replayed it very recently. It feels almost as a complete remake of the same game at times.

Still playing the game but dam… how did they even conjure up such a game? It’s insane when you really think about it. Never had so much fun in an open world game. So easy to get lost and have fun at every turn. I have not even beaten a gleeok yet (epic). Tried once and it whooped my ass so hard (haven’t tried again lol).

Anyone got any cool videos/resources/tips for somewhat early-mid game ultrahand vehicle/contraption builds? 2 dungeons in so i’ve played a good amount but i feel like i haven’t been creative enough to take advantage of these mechanics. (nothing with any story spoilers please)

So I just beat the game and
Now I wonder what happens if you try to go down there before you completed the story content. Is it even possible?
yes but it’s the same as BOTW, a boss rush without help before Gamondorf.

I am like 20 hours in and a bit lost to be honest. There are too many systems and layers and things to do and I feel overwhelmed and I am basically playing like it was BOTW and not enjoying it as much because of that.

I've got all the abilities, one temple down, some memories and explored only a bit of the Depths. One thing I am constantly struggling with is traversal (especially in the sky) so I guess the first thing to do would be to enhance my batteries to rely more on vehicles? For that I need to farm zonaite in the depths or is there another way?

Any advice in general? After al the hype I appreciate the game on a rational level but it didn't really click with me it so far. It doesn't help to be honest that they replicated the BOTW formula almost to a T, as I replayed it very recently. It feels almost as a complete remake of the same game at times.
I felt exactly the same about 15h.

Just choose a path and follow. After cleaning the 1st or 2nd dungeon, focus on completing the depths side adventure.

Clear one area of the map one by one.

Some 20/25 hours into the game, explored a whole bunch of Hyrule since I've landed and finally managed to make my way down a chasm without the glider (I still do not have it, I simply went in the opposite direction the game was telling me to). Genuinely find it super creepy down there, but man, it's so cool to explore and throw those flowers for light.

Had a dream that I was swimming (???) in the Depths and suddenly something shot out at me:

The last remaining Guardian, now infested with Gloom.

Which is to say: I’m glad the game isn’t actually that terrifying.

I think I've settled on my updated Zelda rankings.

1. Ocarina of Time
  2. Link’s Awakening
  3. Majora’s Mask
  4. Tears of the Kingdom
  5. Breath of the Wild
  6. Link to the Past
  7. Skyward Sword
  8. Twilight Princess
  9. Wind Waker
  10. Oracle of Ages
  11. A Link Between Worlds
  12. Minish Cap
  13. Four Swords Adventure
  14. The Legend of Zelda
  15. Adventure of Link
  16. Spirit Tracks
  17. Oracle of Seasons
  18. Phantom Hourglass
  19. Four Swords
  20. Tri-Force Heroes

Absolutely loved Tears of the Kingdom, and feel it's perhaps technically one of the best games I have ever played. But those top 3 I played at the right time in life that I don't think they can be overtaken at this point.

Absolutely tickled pink with the Ocarina of Time throwback. I’m invested as a general fan of zombie apocalypse media and I think I’ll get started on the main quest right away (though it helps that it seems like it’ll be hard to do the side stuff without getting rid of the sand shroud first.

I'm tryna wrap up this damn game(i say this in a positive way) and I just flew into something in the depths that I genuinely was not expecting. Why is there so much content in this game lmao?!

I'm tryna wrap up this damn game(i say this in a positive way) and I just flew into something in the depths that I genuinely was not expecting. Why is there so much content in this game lmao?!
Seriously. It is honestly my biggest complaint. At this point it seems unlikely that I will complete the game before moving on to something else.

I am 100 hours into the game and the same thing just happened to me. If you mean it literally it may have even been the same thing.

Finished my first temple and I liked it a ton, it was the one from the Gerudo quest. Sure, it's a pretty different from a traditional Zelda dungeon but it had some neat puzzles and it was fun exploring a larger interior space. Having a more traditional boss battle was fun as well.

I do think it's a little silly how regular overworld minibosses and enemies hit just as hard (or much harder) than a boss though.

1. Ocarina of Time
  2. Link’s Awakening
  3. Majora’s Mask
  4. Tears of the Kingdom
  5. Breath of the Wild
  6. Link to the Past
  7. Skyward Sword
  8. Twilight Princess
  9. Wind Waker
  10. Oracle of Ages
  12. Minish Cap
  14. The Legend of Zelda
  15. Adventure of Link
  16. Spirit Tracks
  17. Oracle of Seasons
  18. Phantom Hourglass
  19. Four Swords
  20. Tri-Force Heroes

Absolutely loved Tears of the Kingdom, and feel it's perhaps technically one of the best games I have ever played. But those top 3 I played at the right time in life that I don't think they can be overtaken at this point.

For me at the moment:

1. A Link to the Past
2. Twilight Princess
3. Ocarina of Time
4. A Link Between Worlds
5. Skyward Sword
6. The Legend of Zelda
7. The Adventures of Link
8. Link's Awakening
9. Majora's Mask
10. Tears of the Kingdom
11. The Wind Waker
12. Minish Cap
13. Spirit Tracks
14. Phantom Hourglass
15. Breath of the Wild.

I still need to play the Oracle twins, not concerned about the others though.

Finished my first temple and I liked it a ton, it was the one from the Gerudo quest.
Just finished that one too! Though it was my last regional phenomenon. My rankings for the dungeons has to be Lightning > Wind > Fire > Water. For the bosses though I think it would be Wind > Water > Lightning > Fire.

Anyway, I’m wrapping up the main quest in Gerudo. Of course I’ll be exploring the region for all the other good stuff, but I might as well ask now so I can plan for later:

From what I know I’m going to have three potential places to go to to progress the story: Hyrule Castle, the last Tear in the spiral formation in Akkala, and the Ring Ruins. My question is, which one should I gun for first? I kinda want to cheese it and go to Hyrule Castle but I’m afraid it’ll trigger endgame.

Just finished that one too! Though it was my last regional phenomenon. My rankings for the dungeons has to be Lightning > Wind > Fire > Water. For the bosses though I think it would be Wind > Water > Lightning > Fire.

Anyway, I’m wrapping up the main quest in Gerudo. Of course I’ll be exploring the region for all the other good stuff, but I might as well ask now so I can plan for later:

From what I know I’m going to have three potential places to go to to progress the story: Hyrule Castle, the last Tear in the spiral formation in Akkala, and the Ring Ruins. My question is, which one should I gun for first? I kinda want to cheese it and go to Hyrule Castle but I’m afraid it’ll trigger endgame.
HC is not endgame, go there before RR and final tear.

1. Ocarina of Time
  2. Link’s Awakening
  3. Majora’s Mask
  4. Tears of the Kingdom
  5. Breath of the Wild
  6. Link to the Past
  7. Skyward Sword
  8. Twilight Princess
  9. Wind Waker
  10. Oracle of Ages
  12. Minish Cap
  14. The Legend of Zelda
  15. Adventure of Link
  16. Spirit Tracks
  17. Oracle of Seasons
  18. Phantom Hourglass
  19. Four Swords
  20. Tri-Force Heroes

Just listing games I've beaten:

1. Tears Of The Kingdom
2. Majora's Mask
3. Ocarina Of Time
(gap)
4. Link's Awakening
5. Breath Of The Wild
(gap)
6. Twilight Princess
7. Link To The Past
8. Skyward Sword
(gap)
9. Minish Cap
(massive gap)
10. Wind Waker
11. Legend Of Zelda
(gap)
12. Phantom Hourglass

Next on my Zelda backlog is ALBW. Played Oracle Of Seasons but never beat it, hoping to rectify that along with Ages.

God I can’t even begin to rank. It’ll probably get really muddy after top 5

1. Tears of the Kingdom (already, haven’t even fully beat it lol)
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Majora’s Mask
4. Wind Waker
5. Link’s Awakening
6. A Link Between Worlds
7. Skyward Sword
8. Twilight Princess
9. Ocarina of Time
10. Oracle of Ages
11. The Minish Cap
12. Oracle of Seasons
13. The Legend of Zelda
14. Spirit Tracks
15. Phantom Hourglass

I definitely need a replay of TP tho. Maybe even TMC too.

Glad to see Link's Awakening so high up on these lists. Probably my personal favourite, though not sure if I'd call it the best.

God that flower island in the middle of Hyrule (above Lookout Landing) is HIGH.

I've been trying to get to it but no luck yet.

What!?!

I spent ages looking for it then I felt stupid when I realised it was in the sky but fell down inside Lookout Landing where that sidequest originally starts. I didn't realise there actually was an island up there!

Back
Top Bottom