• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Very funny video. The BOTW map sound used to demo subwoofers was great. That and "You should have brought another joke.... or twenty!"

Also, using a spring to make a retractible roof, so clever.

Well. I’m 100+ hours in. I’ve done all the shrines and light roots. Done the major side quests. Upgraded the armor I use most often. I’m at the end and I just…don’t want it to be over.

Damn this game is incredible.

I feel like this Hyrule is just as important as Link and Zelda so if they did a third one I wouldn't mind them using this Hyrule again as long as they can justify it. Zonai and Sheikah technology could radically transform Hyrule if they rebuild the kingdom.

But I'm more than ready for a new refresh of Zelda after TotK. As much as I do enjoy this Link and Zelda duo I'm ready for something new. Considering BotW-style Zelda's are going to be the norm going forward I think a radically different setting would exciting to explore with those same bones.

Though if there is a third one I would love to see a villain like Vaati or Veran come back in some way.
why not use Master Kohga as the main antagonist for the next Legend of Zelda game?

Well. I’m 100+ hours in. I’ve done all the shrines and light roots. Done the major side quests. Upgraded the armor I use most often. I’m at the end and I just…don’t want it to be over.

Damn this game is incredible.
i feeling kinda epty because theres only two Shirnes left for me to do and the Gerudo quest

Rolled credits. Tears of the Kingdom? More like Tears in my Eyes. One of the greatest adventures in all of fiction ALL OF FICTION.

Good luck on the next Zelda game Nintendo, because I don’t see how this can be topped.

Good luck on the next Zelda game Nintendo, because I don’t see how this can be topped.
Everyone should dare them so Nintendo takes the bait and literally makes manna rain down from heaven

that flooded cave with tide rising up and one that you have to take a guy on a boat is so cool
I found the shrine there before doing the quest, and at the time I wondered what the changing pf the tides was for haha

Whoa, didn't do updates in a while.

Between the last post and this one, i finished the Gerudo Phenomena.

God, why is EVERYTHING in TotK and BotW that involves the Gerudo so good?

The Lightning Temple also felt like the most traditional dungeon akin to earlier games.
But the build-up to it was so fun.

I also love how the Gerudo area doesn't just have "traditional" caves, but that a lot of the caves there are sunken ruins which feel even more like mini-dungeons than some other caves.

Then the chase through Hyrule Castle, it was cool, but given i already explored it to death in order to get the Royal Guard set, it felt a bit flat.
Imo, they should've locked the floating part of it until this moment.

Though the revelation that the current time Zelda is a Phantomganon-puppet was kinda whack, the fight was somewhat intense despite my big amount of hearts and good upgraded armor ... i really suck at the timing for the dogde thing.

Link getting his arse saved by the sages (or let's be honest, by his friends) was a cool moment.
Ganondorf was legit scary here, too.

Then, the search for the 5th sage. Kinda did some of that work already weeks ago when i first arrived at Kakariko.
Build-up so far was fun, but i'm honest, i didn't like the Thunderhead Island part. Without me exploring the Yiga HQ and getting the Anti-Lightning-Helmet, this section would've been really frustrating.

Unlocked the underground Construct-Factory and got Mineru the first body part, but decided to hold off here and do some other stuff.

Like the final Dragon Tears. I mean, i expected what Zelda's going to do by the ... third tear i think ... where they talked so prominently about the forbidden magic to become a dragon.
But it really made me sad to see the actual transformation and it's lead up, with the Sky Dragon shedding a new, final tear. seeing Zelda with the teary dragon-eye-pupils moments before she transforms and the ancient sages not being able to do anything but watch how Zelda sacrifices herself for her homeland and her people.

Afterwards, i decided to take a visit in the Lost Woods since they were close. Kinda nice flashback to OoT, having to go inside the Deku Tree to cleanse him from Ganondorfs corruption.

Then, upwards to hunt the Sky Dragon and finally recover the Master Sword. Man ... what a scene.

And that's about where i am now. Of course i also did a lot of side stuff, shrine hunting and so on, but that would prolly need a post of it's own.

Doing this recapture of the stuff i did since my last post here made me realize that TotK is basically pure awe in game form.

Fujibayashi, imo, has earned himself to be among those people at Nintendo, who are beyond any doubt.

why not use Master Kohga as the main antagonist for the next Legend of Zelda game?

Though if there is a third one I would love to see a villain like Vaati or Veran come back in some way.

If this is going to be a trilogy I feel like you have to have Ganon be the antagonist again in some way, otherwise it just doesn't feel right. I know Star Wars TROS is a sticking point with people, but Abrams was right, to have the final chapter not relate to the big bad of the series just feels wrong. Maybe the third game could involve Vaati trying to ressurect Ganon or something like that as a compromise.

While the Yiga are interesting on paper because of their lore, in-game they've been pretty much just used as jokes. Master Kohga in particular. I think it would be hard for him to be an effective main villain at this point. But Dorian's origin from BotW shows that the Yiga can get dark. I think think serve a good purpose as-is as an anti-Sheikah: assassins against the royal family and trying to aid Ganon. If they bring back the Yiga or a similar mechanic I'd like to seem them as more of a threat.

If this is going to be a trilogy I feel like you have to have Ganon be the antagonist again in some way, otherwise it just doesn't feel right. I know Star Wars TROS is a sticking point with people, but Abrams was right, to have the final chapter not relate to the big bad of the series just feels wrong. Maybe the third game could involve Vaati trying to ressurect Ganon or something like that as a compromise.

Honestly if the villain just tried to resurrect Ganon and then got tossed aside because we get another mindless pig Ganon or even just a Ganondorf filled with rage I'd be OK with that too. I'm just trying to think of ways mix it up if they kept it in the same era. Heck, if a Switch 2 is ballin' enough maybe they could include this Hyrule and a neighboring Kingdom or country.

Realistically though, unless there is some quick turnaround for a third entry I think we're done with this setting for a main Zelda title. I get a Super Mario Galaxy 2 vibe from TOTK where we were lucky they made a sequel to an incredible game that feels distinctly like it's own thing, but they'll likely move onto something else that we didn't even know we wanted.

Yeah, it would've made more sense for Kogha and the Yiga to be more major antagonists of TOTK because of the way Kogha is introduced to the Depths due to your actions in BOTW. Mummy Ganondorf could've actually been found by him/them because they were already in the Depths... their tinkering with his corpse could've led to the leaking of malice/gloom into Hyrule which would lead to Zelda/Link investigating and then the Upheaval occurring as a result. That could've been the story/action of the sequel to BOTW, and then the third game would've been what happened in TOTK. That would also tie the Yiga directly to Ganon rather than them just be a external, unrelated fan club that has never interacted with it. But in this legend of Hyrule, really Ganon should be the final final boss.

DISSAGREE. The bigger problem they would have is, how to go even further with the "overpowered" feel.

In my opinion, if its a trillogy, it needs to be more intimate. The first one was about the world moving on after treagedy, links solitude, this one was about companionship, everybody helping together.

In my eyes the next one needs: moving on. Link safed this iteration of hyrule 2 times. And it never had a connected story to begin with, it feels more like Back to the Future, where its building upon its predecessor. We could do the obvious (take a hyrule from far from the future) and help that one.
But in my book, link starting with a small travel party to help a place, and losing those from the party over the story (not in -> they die, but in a "i found a new place im needed, ill stay here). Would also mean that they are not a gameplay feature, cause that would mean literary taking skills/stuff away from the player, but you could combine every departure with a skill earned. (that skill cant have the models or voices of them, since it would deminish the "letting go" aspect).
Have link ending up in the future for the ending, where the credits are showing us the places and the people he left behind, kinda like OoTs ending when he was send back to the past. since it would play on a new map, with a cast from faces from the previous 2 (maybe even zelda in an excursion since a neighboring country asked for help?) the antagonist could also be a known character from the first 2 maybe? maybe somebody that got cought up in a power, frustrated with how much the people where in the hands of a single few, maybe have them be an organisation thats strong and dangerous not because they are god like evil beings, but because they work together, use tech and magic just as link does and try to "liberate" the world from those godlike beings and ancient powers.

Essentially: find a way to move the story and world FORWARD, and not perpetually keep it in the cycle of zelda link ganon as if all the people are just ... toys in their play. Show a world that moved on, show other influences outside of that sacred cycle.

Assuming that the world wont get reused (holy f'ing what would they even do to make it not horribly bland? and just reusing the one from TotK without change IS an option if the game is set only shortly after that one... but then it would be horror from a balancing perspective to give its caves and places any meaning if its just "for additional exploration". Maybe have some magic shenanigans where some aspects of the world can be revisited, but with boundaries. Say, maybe the new land is an archipeligo southeast and they create a barrier so that you still can visit hateno and the lower eastern map, and cant get past it to the rest of hyrule. But overall, while i would be okay having you revisit parts in segmented story settings, i dont want the open world to be reused.

Whoa, didn't do updates in a while.

Between the last post and this one, i finished the Gerudo Phenomena.

God, why is EVERYTHING in TotK and BotW that involves the Gerudo so good?

The Lightning Temple also felt like the most traditional dungeon akin to earlier games.
But the build-up to it was so fun.

I also love how the Gerudo area doesn't just have "traditional" caves, but that a lot of the caves there are sunken ruins which feel even more like mini-dungeons than some other caves.

Then the chase through Hyrule Castle, it was cool, but given i already explored it to death in order to get the Royal Guard set, it felt a bit flat.
Imo, they should've locked the floating part of it until this moment.

Though the revelation that the current time Zelda is a Phantomganon-puppet was kinda whack, the fight was somewhat intense despite my big amount of hearts and good upgraded armor ... i really suck at the timing for the dogde thing.

Link getting his arse saved by the sages (or let's be honest, by his friends) was a cool moment.
Ganondorf was legit scary here, too.

Then, the search for the 5th sage. Kinda did some of that work already weeks ago when i first arrived at Kakariko.
Build-up so far was fun, but i'm honest, i didn't like the Thunderhead Island part. Without me exploring the Yiga HQ and getting the Anti-Lightning-Helmet, this section would've been really frustrating.

Unlocked the underground Construct-Factory and got Mineru the first body part, but decided to hold off here and do some other stuff.

Like the final Dragon Tears. I mean, i expected what Zelda's going to do by the ... third tear i think ... where they talked so prominently about the forbidden magic to become a dragon.
But it really made me sad to see the actual transformation and it's lead up, with the Sky Dragon shedding a new, final tear. seeing Zelda with the teary dragon-eye-pupils moments before she transforms and the ancient sages not being able to do anything but watch how Zelda sacrifices herself for her homeland and her people.

Afterwards, i decided to take a visit in the Lost Woods since they were close. Kinda nice flashback to OoT, having to go inside the Deku Tree to cleanse him from Ganondorfs corruption.

Then, upwards to hunt the Sky Dragon and finally recover the Master Sword. Man ... what a scene.

And that's about where i am now. Of course i also did a lot of side stuff, shrine hunting and so on, but that would prolly need a post of it's own.

Doing this recapture of the stuff i did since my last post here made me realize that TotK is basically pure awe in game form.

Fujibayashi, imo, has earned himself to be among those people at Nintendo, who are beyond any doubt.
Yeah I finally did that phenomena a couple of days ago and it was great. Im in the Gerudo region currently and have a bunch of caves left to do, easily some of the best caves from what ive explored so far. After I spend a bunch of time there maybe I will continue the main quest lol.

It's a bit funny, I've put 8-ish hours into my second playthrough now, and prior to this, I wondered what I would do. I had in mind to just do a 12-15-ish hour playthrough where I would just beeline the story and maybe explore some here and there.

Yet here I am, with only the Rito section done and planning to do all sorts of fun stuff, I have plans for new Ultrahand shenanigans, I love to explore the Depths all over again for Large Zonaite, and above all, putting in Zonai Charges and getting new rad stuff to play around with is as fun as it ever was. And caves. This time, I'll do much more caves.

The first thing I did when I landed in Hyrule proper was to go after every single Skyview Tower, because after doing two more, I realize how much I "missed it", despite doing all of them only 2 months ago. But it's just such an exhilarating experience.

Finding a tower - landing on an island - island-hopping to the "main" island - doing the Shrine quest - taking whatever Zonai Charges I have to the dispenser and get new toys - build stuff with said toys... This is a ridiculously addicting gameplay loop. It's astounding, really.

I am of the opinion that TotK, using BotW as a basis, has one of the better written, if not best written Zeldas made.

And yeah, "not that that's a hard bar to surpass", but I do find the emphasis put on her role in this game as being a more proactive leader, and also being a proactive sage quite a welcome surprise and does well to establish what makes her "Legendary".

I am of the opinion that TotK, using BotW as a basis, has one of the better written, if not best written Zeldas made.

And yeah, "not that that's a hard bar to surpass", but I do find the emphasis put on her role in this game as being a more proactive leader, and also being a proactive sage quite a welcome surprise and does well to establish what makes her "Legendary".

Edit: Misread, I'm talking about the story in general, not just Zelda's characterization.

The presentation is better in most ways than Botw, but the plot feels like they're trying way too hard to make it feel complex. Or worse, they're working completely around the most convoluted way to have Zelda not be present during gameplay, by sending her back to the first kingdom of Hyrule. I also hate that in doing that, it retcons most of Zelda history, especially OoT. Or at the very least, creates ANOTHER timeline split.

I really hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree that they don't really care about the timeline.

Last edited:
Don't agree at all. The presentation is better in most ways than Botw, but the plot feels like they're trying way too hard to make it feel complex. Or worse, they're working completely around the most convoluted way to have Zelda not be present during gameplay, by sending her back to the first kingdom of Hyrule. I also hate that in doing that, it retcons most of Zelda history, especially OoT. Or at the very least, creates ANOTHER timeline split.

I really hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree that they don't really care about the timeline.
I think they just mean the character of Zelda is the best she's ever been written.
I do think she's the most well-realised.

But I hate the shit she has to go through in these games.

(And I agree with you in the story in general. Probably my least favourite story in the series. And I really like the Breath of the Wild story AND presentation!)

I think they just mean the character of Zelda is the best she's ever been written.
I do think she's the most well-realised.

But I hate the shit she has to go through in these games.

(And I agree with you in the story in general. Probably my least favourite story in the series. And I really like the Breath of the Wild story AND presentation!)

That I do agree on. I wish we got that kind of character as an active part in the story instead of tucked away conveniently that you don't actually interact with those events.

Quick Q: do you get a notification that you've completed the depths once you find every lightroot? I have no damn idea where the last couple could be lol. Any tips for observing the depths map for stragglers?

Spent the first 100 hours, my initial playthrough, avoiding fast travel since I find it more enjoyable, it benefits exploration, yadda yadda yadda. Now that I’m in the ‘couple hours a week’ cleanup phase should I start using it? Am I in to deep to break my no warp run?

I rolled credits over the weekend after about 150 hours. Realized on my way to the big bad that I had still never seriously attempted to battle a single Lynel, Gleeok, or Molduga, and was still sometimes "nervous" about combat with silver Horrblins, Boss Bokos, etc., and still mostly wanted to avoid Hinox, Frox, and Talus because I felt so afraid of fighting enemies at the start of the game. And there I was heading all the way to the final boss. This is 6 years after playing BOTW for a similar amount of time where I was slicing through Lynels like no one's business.

I realized how much TOTK changed my approach to SO MUCH of this world. In BOTW, I explored Hyrule a certain way, battled enemies a certain way, progressed the story a certain way. From the beginning of TOTK, my perspective about the world shifted signficantly. The ominous tone set by the initial cutscenes plus the isolation of the Great Sky Island made me more cautious. Afterward, dropping me onto the surface first in the middle of Hyrule Field, which in BOTW was full of Guardians where I was usually nervous, made me cautious to explore because of my muscle memory of that space.

And then what's super interesting about my perspective of the "reused" world is the setup of Lookout Landing. It's still in the middle of the map like the Great Plateau, so it's a somewhat familiar setup, but it's much further north in the area of Hyrule Castle and the town, which again from my BOTW memory is an ominous place -- and then the game nudges you west, which is the opposite direction of where they nudge you in BOTW.

So for me, really from the very beginning, the entire world felt like a different world that BOTW's map. The big time landmarks and towns were good anchors for exploration, but overall, for me, I both physically explored and mentally felt like I was moving through a brand new space for basically my entire playthrough. Never for a moment was I disappointed with my time exploring the surface, and I enjoyed the minor and major changes made to landmarks big and small. Add to all that, the thrill of moving through the Sky most of the time, PLUS the thorough exploration of the Depths contributed to the overall ominousness, cautiousness, AND freedom of exploration.

It really felt like a completely different game compared to BOTW, which I loved to death -- to say absolutely nothing about what Ultrahand, Fuse, Ascend, and Recall all contribute to the experience of minute-to-minute gameplay and exploration. I loved playing this game so much. Still plenty to do (finally battled a Molduga and went to a Labyrinth today) but I was desperate to know what happens at the finale even though I didn't "feel ready" for it (despite having like 22 hearts and overpowered weapons). Thanks for listening.

It really felt like a completely different game compared to BOTW, which I loved to death
Honestly, I see all the criticisms for the map reuse and I can kinda understand them rationally, but personally TotK was just as fresh to me. Agreed that it has a significantly different vibe.

Am I in to deep to break my no warp run?
Honestly just use the fast travel, save yourself some time haha

Alright y'all, I'm at
150 shrines
and I know there's two more, but
I have gotten every sky island shrine to my knowledge and I for sure got every lightroot. I've triple-checked the depths map in comparison to the surface map and I'm not missing any.
What gives? Does someone want to give me a hint on how to proceed?

Hmm, Since you’re sure about the Depths map, then the logical conclusion is that you’re missing a couple of sky shrines. Perhaps you need to revisit certain sky islands? Scope out the skies?
That must be it, but damn, that's gonna take a hot minute! I'll revisit tomorrow. Thank you for letting me know that there isn't a special trigger or activation besides just getting all 152.

Howdy, sorry I know I haven't been engaging in this thread, just wanted to pop in right quick and see if anyone else is still thinking about the killer saxophone part in the final trailer?

cuz I am

Edit: Misread, I'm talking about the story in general, not just Zelda's characterization.

The presentation is better in most ways than Botw, but the plot feels like they're trying way too hard to make it feel complex. Or worse, they're working completely around the most convoluted way to have Zelda not be present during gameplay, by sending her back to the first kingdom of Hyrule. I also hate that in doing that, it retcons most of Zelda history, especially OoT. Or at the very least, creates ANOTHER timeline split.

Gotta hard disagree on you there, especially with regards as to how the events of this game retcon others from the other titles.

Firstly, I do not see Ocarina of Time as an actuall Imprisoning War. The Sages barely do anything in that game ther than wait for Link to slay Ganon, whereas the sages in this game proactivally fought Ganondorf, thus there is no conflict with LttP's continuity.

Secondly, I disagree that they're "trying hard" to make it feel complex, nor does it posit itself as being complex. Zelda gets teleported/timetravelled to early Hyrule and witnesses the imprisonment of Ganondorf, that much is simple.

What I appreciate about the story is that Sonia and Rauru, given their brief appearances, at least has some characterization invested in them in comparison to the 6 other Sages in OoT (only Saria is implied to have an interesting backstory with Link). We really don't get to talk much with OoT Rauru (who is most likely named after the first king of Hyrule), and most of them are basically trapped in some sort of otherealm/Sagezone once these tertiary characters are Sages...except for Saria.

To be fair, the 4 other Ancient Sages get that same treatment in TotK, but its clear Sonia, Rauru, and Mineru all form a bond with Zelda. She pretty much acts more as a bodyguard to Sonia in the cutscenes and is even very close with her, helping Zelda hone her latent abilities. When it comes time for her to spill the beans on Rauru's fate, Zelda does show genuine concern over her adopted family, who are putting everything at stake.

By the end of her arc, she understands the complete weight of her duties as the acting ruler of Hyrule, along with mastering her power over time. Granted, she already showed this with the signs of Hyrule rebuilding, but we didn't get to see this side of her until after BotW/when playing TotK when we revisit the same locations.

So yeah, I feel this game did alot of things right with the story, and that's not to mentions continuing the arcs of side characters you might have only passingly met from BotW:

Last edited:
That must be it, but damn, that's gonna take a hot minute! I'll revisit tomorrow. Thank you for letting me know that there isn't a special trigger or activation besides just getting all 152.
So now you are sure that you have every root in the depths? Did you get notified?

I missed one under Death Mountain for a long time. It was a very small circle that was not brightened, maybe even just a bit faded compared to the surroundings.

I rolled credits over the weekend after about 150 hours. Realized on my way to the big bad that I had still never seriously attempted to battle a single Lynel, Gleeok, or Molduga, and was still sometimes "nervous" about combat with silver Horrblins, Boss Bokos, etc., and still mostly wanted to avoid Hinox, Frox, and Talus because I felt so afraid of fighting enemies at the start of the game. And there I was heading all the way to the final boss. This is 6 years after playing BOTW for a similar amount of time where I was slicing through Lynels like no one's business.

I realized how much TOTK changed my approach to SO MUCH of this world. In BOTW, I explored Hyrule a certain way, battled enemies a certain way, progressed the story a certain way. From the beginning of TOTK, my perspective about the world shifted signficantly. The ominous tone set by the initial cutscenes plus the isolation of the Great Sky Island made me more cautious. Afterward, dropping me onto the surface first in the middle of Hyrule Field, which in BOTW was full of Guardians where I was usually nervous, made me cautious to explore because of my muscle memory of that space.

And then what's super interesting about my perspective of the "reused" world is the setup of Lookout Landing. It's still in the middle of the map like the Great Plateau, so it's a somewhat familiar setup, but it's much further north in the area of Hyrule Castle and the town, which again from my BOTW memory is an ominous place -- and then the game nudges you west, which is the opposite direction of where they nudge you in BOTW.

So for me, really from the very beginning, the entire world felt like a different world that BOTW's map. The big time landmarks and towns were good anchors for exploration, but overall, for me, I both physically explored and mentally felt like I was moving through a brand new space for basically my entire playthrough. Never for a moment was I disappointed with my time exploring the surface, and I enjoyed the minor and major changes made to landmarks big and small. Add to all that, the thrill of moving through the Sky most of the time, PLUS the thorough exploration of the Depths contributed to the overall ominousness, cautiousness, AND freedom of exploration.

It really felt like a completely different game compared to BOTW, which I loved to death -- to say absolutely nothing about what Ultrahand, Fuse, Ascend, and Recall all contribute to the experience of minute-to-minute gameplay and exploration. I loved playing this game so much. Still plenty to do (finally battled a Molduga and went to a Labyrinth today) but I was desperate to know what happens at the finale even though I didn't "feel ready" for it (despite having like 22 hearts and overpowered weapons). Thanks for listening.

Wholly agree. Many changes can sometimes feel minor in the grand scheme of things, but when accounted to as a whole, I really felt that they all add up to an overworld that to me felt way more fresh than I had anticipated.

So now you are sure that you have every root in the depths? Did you get notified?

I missed one under Death Mountain for a long time. It was a very small circle that was not brightened, maybe even just a bit faded compared to the surroundings.
I did, yup! Thanks for checking with me, though.

My newest toy is the hovering anti-gravity blocks and pasting a bunch of fans and rockets and a steering device on them. Once it runs out of batteries, it just stays in midair so that you can chill away while it recharges.

They have a limited time span (just like the gliders), but that didn't stop me from getting on top of Lanayru's Valor Island. I legit thought it would disappear before that but I, as I've done so much in this game, legit jumped up and down in the couch, screaming "It WORKED?!".

Currently have an Autobuild preset for it, but building it costs 110 Zonaite (?)

Howdy, sorry I know I haven't been engaging in this thread, just wanted to pop in right quick and see if anyone else is still thinking about the killer saxophone part in the final trailer?

cuz I am
The only thing wrong with the game is that saxophone wasn’t in it. (As far as I could tell.)

Can someone help me with Ganandorf’s final fight?

How many hearts, weapons and just general equipment would you recommend? Easy ways to beat him?

Don’t repeat my mistake and stock up on a ton of sundelion meals

Edit: Meant that I made a mistake in that I did not do this.

Last edited:
Did the Master Sword stuff last night.

I thought it was pretty cool that you had to access Korok Forest from the Depths, finally gave those towers that connect Depths to the surface a proper usage. Finding the dragon to remove the Master Sword was a pretty neat moment as well, though I'd have liked it more if I hadn't been wearing the full Gliding armor to land atop of the dragon...

My only disappointment with this whole section was the "boss" inside the Deku Tree. This is yet another instance of the game needing more enemy variety. An unique boss here would've made it a standout moment. Like, imagine if instead of the Gloom Hands you battled like a gloomy version of Gohma from Ocarina of Time, it'd have been amazing... Gloom Hands were particularly disappointing since you already get attacked by them when you enter the Korok Grove in the Depths so I ended up battling 2 Hands/Phantom Ganon in what felt like 15 minutes.

Did the Master Sword stuff last night.

I thought it was pretty cool that you had to access Korok Forest from the Depths, finally gave those towers that connect Depths to the surface a proper usage. Finding the dragon to remove the Master Sword was a pretty neat moment as well, though I'd have liked it more if I hadn't been wearing the full Gliding armor to land atop of the dragon...

My only disappointment with this whole section was the "boss" inside the Deku Tree. This is yet another instance of the game needing more enemy variety. An unique boss here would've made it a standout moment. Like, imagine if instead of the Gloom Hands you battled like a gloomy version of Gohma from Ocarina of Time, it'd have been amazing... Gloom Hands were particularly disappointing since you already get attacked by them when you enter the Korok Grove in the Depths so I ended up battling 2 Hands/Phantom Ganon in what felt like 15 minutes.
fwiw I think the Korok Grove thing is a random spawn. I think there's only four guaranteed Gloom Hand encounters in the game.

After 170+ hours I'm finally running out of things to do in the game, I've finished all the shrines and all the caves.
The shrine hunt was super enjoyable thanks to the lightroots in the depths mirroring the shrines of the over world, I had no problems finding all of them and no scavenger hunts searching the last one missing;
Of course I still had to do a big scavenger hunt searching for the last few caves, I spent almost an hour searching for the last cave I missed until I remembered that there are caves in the first sky island, so yeah I never killed the frog of the first cave and that was the last one I was missing, loved the ending of kilton btw.
I think the caves are easily the best thing they added in TotK, they're pretty much shrines connected to the world, small bite sized dungeons with some great variety. They're the main reasons why the reused map feels needed, they challenge the player to explore and use their knowledge of the map to find them and it works greatly.
I guess tomorrow I'll finally finish the game since I'm at the last quest and I don't have a lot left to do, I'll probably clean up some small side quests and go defeat ganondorf.
I still don't know how to feel about this game especially compared to botw, I'm really hoping for an amazing final stretch and ending.

The Thunderhead Isles(as well as Dragonhead) are great, finally got up there today! And reminds me that there should be more large sky islands like that and the tutorial one. Maybe DLC...

Finally beat the main quest after a little over 200 hours of taking my time. Overall I did not like it as much as BOTW mostly due to pacing of building stuff and fusing stuff. I'm over resource collecting in Zelda now, please never again. The shrines were not as good. They should be 3 levels of escalating an idea within each but most were just 1 and 2 then done or some just one and done, not enough escalation of the shrine's concept to make them challenging. Similarly the temples being the same basic format, which I blame on the Switch being portable so quests, shrines, and temples are all made to be pretty easily divided into bite size portions so if you have time to just do one thing, you can easily come back in after doing something else in real life and not be lost.

I like the game overall but did feel like a chore. I prefer the simplicity of Breath of the Wild more.

Back
Top Bottom