• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

So what's the deal with Zelda and the DonDons?
A lot of the things associated with her telling/giving people things are traps since she's actually a puppet. But the Dondons she helps raise are fine?
Pretty sure that was before the expedition, so the real Zelda

So what's the deal with Zelda and the DonDons?
A lot of the things associated with her telling/giving people things are traps since she's actually a puppet. But the Dondons she helps raise are fine?

I think they're part of of a big story portion / gameplay mechanic that got scrapped. A dondon shows up in the very first teaser in a quite intricate and seemingly thought out way but never coming back into the main game in that capacity.

The first teaser shows more cut content; the story wall is not drawings but actual murals, rats, the dungeon entrace, way more underground architecture, slight ganondorf redesign

my guess is they wanted to have a bigger underground focus but it would either be too botw-y or too classic zelda-y, so they opted to abandoning the depths and turn it into what it is now and add the sky stuff and tears and such.

Finished it again recently, for some reason the ending makes me so emotional and I can't account as to why.

I see so many people online not giving the storyline enough credit in this game. I thought it was great and a big part of what makes TOTK so excellent.

Also I'm the same re: the ending. The pledge and that final pull away showing the lanscape gets me every time.

I think they're part of of a big story portion / gameplay mechanic that got scrapped. A dondon shows up in the very first teaser in a quite intricate and seemingly thought out way but never coming back into the main game in that capacity.

The first teaser shows more cut content; the story wall is not drawings but actual murals, rats, the dungeon entrace, way more underground architecture, slight ganondorf redesign

my guess is they wanted to have a bigger underground focus but it would either be too botw-y or too classic zelda-y, so they opted to abandoning the depths and turn it into what it is now and add the sky stuff and tears and such.

I think that the difference is that originally when the game was announced, the intent was the opening section up to being thrown to the sky island was just a cutscene, but they ended up making it gameplay, rather than anything being scrapped, it was the opposite. They expanded it to being playable.

Just finished the Gerudo region; it was awesome!
I really enjoyed the dynamic nature of dealing with the hot weather, like wetting Link, sticking to the shade, carrying ice weapons, etc, to the point where I actually skipped getting the armour as it was fun figuring out how to finish the region without it.
The Lightning Temple is also the best of the four regional ones, and gets a lot of cool and creative mileage out the light and mirrors mechanic.

I do have to vent a little though, and forgive my negativity, but is it me or is the combat kinda...meh? Like I don't remember it bothering me in BOTW, but now that I am playing Tears the dodge feels unreliable (I swear there's like a half second of input delay and it doesn't cover enough distance to avoid many attacks) and melee feels stiff. I figured it would feel better the more I played, but after 40+ hours, I still find close range combat more frustrating than fun.
As amazing as TOTK is as a whole, my main wish for the next game is a more fluid melee system and a proper dodge button rather than this awkward "hop backwards or sideways" crap that feels like a bit of a relic.

Still, can't complain too much when the game gets so much so right. The new rune powers are each great enough to base a whole game on, and the sheer breadth of content on offer is astounding.
Much like with BOTW, it's a case where I can easily see room for improvement in its component parts, but the sum total is still extraordinary.

Before TOTK, if you'd asked me if I want a third game with this particular Link and Zelda I'd have said absolutely not, two is plenty.

But now, YES PLEASE. Desperately hoping they make it a trilogy. They'd need to create a new world to explore (sea islands?) but yeah, give us more!

The Don Dons do feel like something that maybe had bigger plans in 2019 - perhaps they were even planned for carrying things around, which evolved into the more natural and easily implementable towing harness for the horse. I wouldn't go ahead and say they had grander plans for the underground and that they scrapped it in favour of the sky stuff. The initial trailer closes out with the castle beginning the ascent into the sky, so the idea was likely there from an early stage and some fan theories picked up on that from day one. The idea of a civilization in the sky is also obviously an existing Zelda trope, and one of many the team implemented into open world Zelda this time around.

As for how they fit with Zelda
You can tell which stories are about the real Zelda by visiting her house and looking at the pictures in the living room. The people and places Zelda really visited are therefore in the pictures; the other sightings are either of fake Zelda or a Yiga clan trap.

did i ever trouble if i complete guidance of the Past before Regional phenomena? i was thinking in doing Mineru quest now and then finish with Riju after i done with the my Shirne hunt

did i ever trouble if i complete guidance of the Past before Regional phenomena? i was thinking in doing Mineru quest now and then finish with Riju after i done with the my Shirne hunt
You can do that, it won’t affect anything except some minor dialogue changes

The Don Dons do feel like something that maybe had bigger plans in 2019 - perhaps they were even planned for carrying things around, which evolved into the more natural and easily implementable towing harness for the horse. I wouldn't go ahead and say they had grander plans for the underground and that they scrapped it in favour of the sky stuff. The initial trailer closes out with the castle beginning the ascent into the sky, so the idea was likely there from an early stage and some fan theories picked up on that from day one. The idea of a civilization in the sky is also obviously an existing Zelda trope, and one of many the team implemented into open world Zelda this time around.

As for how they fit with Zelda
You can tell which stories are about the real Zelda by visiting her house and looking at the pictures in the living room. The people and places Zelda really visited are therefore in the pictures; the other sightings are either of fake Zelda or a Yiga clan trap.

Yeah, I think the Lucky Clover quests only involve the villains about half the time. Many of them either happened pre-Upheaval with the real Zelda's involvement or a misunderstanding that didn't actually have anything to do with Zelda(like the one with the voice coming out of the well.)

Yeah, I think the Lucky Clover quests only involve the villains about half the time. Many of them either happened pre-Upheaval with the real Zelda's involvement or a misunderstanding that didn't actually have anything to do with Zelda(like the one with the voice coming out of the well.)
the underwear one was just them mishearing her too. Though the idea of Ganon making people running around nearly naked is something

Before TOTK, if you'd asked me if I want a third game with this particular Link and Zelda I'd have said absolutely not, two is plenty.

But now, YES PLEASE. Desperately hoping they make it a trilogy. They'd need to create a new world to explore (sea islands?) but yeah, give us more!

Between BOTW, TOTK, and Age of Calamity, I have spent well over 300 hours with these characters and this version of Hyrule. Definitely more time spent than any other incarnation from the series. Some people might be sick of it but it will be hard for me to move on. These are probably my favorite designs and interpretations of these characters in the whole series.

This game has a lot more satisfying rewards and collectabiles than BOTW. Outfits, Poes, Zonaite, Schema Stones etc. in comparison to BOTW 9 times out of 10 giving you a weapon or food.

I'm just about 150 hours and ready for the final finale. Headed to where it is but then decided to place a travel medallion there and head back to cook more food (and wait for master sword to recharge). Am at 120 shrines done, only about 70 lightroots, have done almost everything in the sky I think but have still not really explored too much of Hebra or Gerudo either. Completed probably all the major side quests and tons and tons of smaller ones. Will definitely keep chugging after the ending for all shrines, lightroots, caves and wells, and I WANT to see the ending so much at this point, but I'm also feeling a sense of trepidation of it coming to an "end." Sigh. It's been quite a 2 months here and what a joy to have experienced this creation.

Finally beat the game today after about 125 hours, it took me awhile to finish because I was getting a bit burnt out trying to finish all the quests, shrines, and lightroots. I ended up finishing all the shrines and lightroots, but have probably 20 side quests to complete and 30 bubbulfrog gems to collect.

If I had any major complaints, it would be that game has a bit too much content and lacks visual/music identity compared to BotW. Still, I had a ton of fun with the game, and it fixed so many of the issues I had with BotW and previous Zelda titles. It's a game that makes me very excited for the future of Zelda and reinforces my love for the franchise.

New month since the game released.

New Switch profile.

New playthrough.

giphy-downsized.gif

I get that for Raurus blessing, the challenge is supposed to be getting to the shrine and not the shrine itself but they're overdoing it a bit imo.

For a while I refused to explore the Depths since I was too weak and the enemies too strong, but this week I've been on a massive Depths exploration spree after upgrading my armor and it's been a ton of fun.

Fuck armored Lynels though, always run away from them.

I still think the Depths are too same-y and empty but they're cool playgrounds, especially when you have some Zonai capsules to work with.

Yeah I definitely feel there are too many Rauru’s Blessings in the game. I’m clueless about the actual numbers but this game felt like it had less puzzle shrines than BotW, despite having more shrines overall.

And they’re not consistent with the Blessing shrines to begin with. There’s easy to find ones in caves that are Blessings, while some that have elaborate environmental puzzles just to get to still have their own puzzles inside. It’s weird.

I'm torn on Rauru's Blessings. Sometimes I find a shrine and I don't really want to spend 15 minutes inside it solving puzzles and just wanna keep exploring.

However, they do feel like a cumbersome implementation of the shrine concept. IMO, they could've replaced the shrines with warping points and an altar and save us the 2 loading screens + wasted time inside the shrine.

It would be insanely cool to explore more of the sea islands setting. Imagine being stranded on the ocean in a storm and arriving at a big-ass island with a unique village with their own culture.

They could do a post-game where you return to BOTW/TOTK Hyrule also and there are a few changes there. Kind of like Pokémon Gold

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but does anyone know how many variations there are of the end sequence when you confront Ganondorf? When I fought Ganondorf he mentioned something along the lines of being disappointed in Link bathing the area in light, which I assume was a reference to getting all the light roots. I'm also guessing the events change too if you don't get all the sages.

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but does anyone know how many variations there are of the end sequence when you confront Ganondorf? When I fought Ganondorf he mentioned something along the lines of being disappointed in Link bathing the area in light, which I assume was a reference to getting all the light roots. I'm also guessing the events change too if you don't get all the sages.
Ganondorf's cutscene I think is always the same.

The sages, I've only seen "have all the sages" and "have none of the sages". The latter can be watched here. As you can see, the Demon King's Army cutscene starts the same, but instead of the bit with the sages arriving, it just cuts to the fight. Then you have the boss rush - all five Temple bosses plus Phantom Ganon. No particularly interesting cutscenes, though. Of course, when you fight Ganondorf they obviously don't come join in during the second phase.

What I'm curious about is what happens if you have some but not all sages, and unfortunately this is not something I've seen. I suspect it probably plays out the same way as no sages, except your sages are there when you start fighting the Army and you don't fight the bosses you already defeated. But part of me wonders if there's bespoke versions. The reason I think there might be is because both main sage cutscenes - their arrival, and when they take on the bosses for you - have a very deliberate structure, with each sage getting one line each. The only thing that would need to be modified if you were missing sages would be the start of each cutscene, since "sages arriving" opens with Tulin hitting a Bokoblin with an arrow, and "we'll handle the bosses" opens with all the bosses arriving at once. But after each of these openings, the scenes become very much segmented on a per sage basis, so I do think it's possible they have more versions.

EDIT: Would you look at that, I found my answer immediately! Ryukahr fought Ganondorf with only Yunobo (why the hell would anyone get only Yunobo) here. For the Army, there's no arrow hitting Bokoblin, but you do hear a unique line with Yunobo saying "This isn't just your fight, Link!" before his part of the "sages have arrived" cutscene. We then do get a semi-unique cutscene after the boss rush with the boss(es) you have faced appearing and being faced by the corresponding sage. So that's pretty cool.

Last edited:
Ganondorf's cutscene I think is always the same.

The sages, I've only seen "have all the sages" and "have none of the sages". The latter can be watched here. As you can see, the Demon King's Army cutscene starts the same, but instead of the bit with the sages arriving, it just cuts to the fight. Then you have the boss rush - all five Temple bosses plus Phantom Ganon. No particularly interesting cutscenes, though. Of course, when you fight Ganondorf they obviously don't come join in during the second phase.

What I'm curious about is what happens if you have some but not all sages, and unfortunately this is not something I've seen. I suspect it probably plays out the same way as no sages, except your sages are there when you start fighting the Army and you don't fight the bosses you already defeated. But part of me wonders if there's bespoke versions. The reason I think there might be is because both main sage cutscenes - their arrival, and when they take on the bosses for you - have a very deliberate structure, with each sage getting one line each. The only thing that would need to be modified if you were missing sages would be the start of each cutscene, since "sages arriving" opens with Tulin hitting a Bokoblin with an arrow, and "we'll handle the bosses" opens with all the bosses arriving at once. But after each of these openings, the scenes become very much segmented on a per sage basis, so I do think it's possible they have more versions.

haha oh wow I had no idea how brutal that last sequence becomes with no sages. A little disappointing that the line wasn't about the light roots but makes more sense considering his goal of conquering Hyrule. I am also interesting in seeing how the dialogue plays out with only some of the sages. I might do a run where I only take Sidon, who I felt betrayed me the least. Thanks for the clarity!

there is any way to put living fish in your
home private pool
????
If you scan one of the amiibo that drops living fish next to it some will land in it and swim around. Sadly they will despawn if you leave the area or scan more amiibo.

I feel like this Hyrule is just as important as Link and Zelda so if they did a third one I wouldn't mind them using this Hyrule again as long as they can justify it. Zonai and Sheikah technology could radically transform Hyrule if they rebuild the kingdom.

But I'm more than ready for a new refresh of Zelda after TotK. As much as I do enjoy this Link and Zelda duo I'm ready for something new. Considering BotW-style Zelda's are going to be the norm going forward I think a radically different setting would exciting to explore with those same bones.

Though if there is a third one I would love to see a villain like Vaati or Veran come back in some way.

Back
Top Bottom