• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

When you say the final memory, are you referring to the Master Sword geoglyph? If so, I would actually go view it now before starting the Construct Factory. But truly, you can't really go wrong either way. I just think there's a moment in the memory that plays best with no outside knowledge from other quests like the Mineru quest.

Oops should have been clearer, I've seen that one, I meant the one after that.

Have been clearing this up here and there, doing remaining side quests and digging into the caves, as I'd only found about a quarter of them.

The caves by and large are excellent as side content - and far more unique than I thought they'd be before I played the game - but when you do them all at once they can feel bit same-y, especially checking off the caves you already explored but missed the froggy in. Still good stuff, though.

My bigger issue is that all the treasures I'm getting for this stuff are re-used items I previously bought Amiibo to get in BotW. In a game where I'm already salty about reused content, my last memory of the game being adventuring for hours just to get reused item after reused item (that I previously paid for as physical DLC in the prior game!) as a reward really seals the deal on how I feel about this game. You want to tell me that in six years they really couldn't have come up with new rewards? Really? Very disappointing.

Re: geoglyphs, I wonder if Nintendo should have forced a chronological order on them, so it doesn't matter which specific one you visit, the memories will always unlock and play in the "right" order. Then again it is cool that each glyph design corresponds to the memory it unlocks.

My bigger issue is that all the treasures I'm getting for this stuff are re-used items I previously bought Amiibo to get in BotW. In a game where I'm already salty about reused content, my last memory of the game being adventuring for hours just to get reused item after reused item (that I previously paid for as physical DLC in the prior game!) as a reward really seals the deal on how I feel about this game. You want to tell me that in six years they really couldn't have come up with new rewards? Really? Very disappointing.
The rewards are probably my only real complaint with this game. I think they're better than BOTW but still not great. Stuff like optional abilities that you don't need but improve Link's traversal/combat/whatever. Sage's Wills are a start, but how about a different collectible that increases the Sage's abilities (longer reach, more strength etc).

Ahhhhhh, got it. In that case, I would definitely save it until after the Mineru quest line.

Thank you, I just did the Mineru quest line and yeah, even without watching the final tear, I see what you mean!!

There's definitely a "better" way to experience all this story stuff in the game and I'm surprised by how open Nintendo made it. If nothing else they should have at least blocked off picking up the Master Sword until after the Mineru quest. I'm glad I waited but I can imagine the majority of people won't have.

Thank you, I just did the Mineru quest line and yeah, even without watching the final tear, I see what you mean!!

There's definitely a "better" way to experience all this story stuff in the game and I'm surprised by how open Nintendo made it. If nothing else they should have at least blocked off picking up the Master Sword until after the Mineru quest. I'm glad I waited but I can imagine the majority of people won't have.
Did you retrieve the Master Sword? I don't want to say more until I know for sure lol

The counterpoint is people like me who don’t care enough about the story to bother optimizing the experience haha

There's HOW MANY caves in the game?

umm-confused.gif

I wish there were (Depths spoiler?) stables in the Depths so that I could register Stalhorses for quick travelling.

So it appears the Tears of the Kingdom theme's main melody was constructed from a section of Breath of the Wild's main theme.

Rolled credits today after 215hours of absolute pure joy.

Post game depression already sinking in.
Might be the best thing I’ve ever played.

Damm.
I figured I would be content for a while since I played it so much, but I'm already jonesing to go back to it. I don't think I've ever played a game for successively so long and still felt that way, even Breath of the Wild I neither played as long before the final boss nor wanted to return to it so soon.

I figured I would be content for a while since I played it so much, but I'm already jonesing to go back to it. I don't think I've ever played a game for successively so long and still felt that way, even Breath of the Wild I neither played as long before the final boss nor wanted to return to it so soon.
I've definitely had my fill of it, at least for a while, but the post-game depression was intense.

Gerudo done so all 4 dungeons cleared

Very cool also the buildup.

Some ratings

Best buildup -> Rito by far
Best dungeon -> Gerudo
Weaker boss -> Zora
Thoughest boss -> Gerudo
Coolest boss battle -> Rito

My understanding is that new stuff is triggered after completing the regional phenomena, correct? I have been fucking around a lot and just have the Gerudo one left. Should I take my time going to that one or should I go ahead and do it and THEN fuck around?

im back. Kind of been on a hiatus since the game came out. This game is just special. Everything about it. Im at about 100 hrs with the zora domain left.

I think people are getting a little hung up on revelations, Zelda twists are always either that Ganondorf is a bad guy or that some mysterious person or creature is actually royalty, but I guess if you wanted to preserve that sense of plot revelations you could do the first six Dragon Tears at any time(since it reveals that Zelda went back in time but doesn't tell us what happened to her in the present), do Hyrule Castle and learn what the modern Zelda really is(even though I don't think it was ever really in doubt that this wasn't the real Zelda), then do Dragon Tears 7-10 before the Spirit Temple, learn what Zelda was planning to do from Mineru, do the Great Deku Tree quest, and then watch the rest of the Dragon Tear memories to actually witness Zelda's post-Imprisoning War actions. That strikes me as the optimal way of tying the exposition side of the plot together.

Oh man, I disagree on the final boss. I thought it was probably the coolest Ganon/dorf fight we've had in the series. I mean, atmospherically they always do a great job with him, but gameplay-wise this was the most complete fight with him we've ever had, he used almost all of his major tricks from across nearly forty years of games and many of the Ganondorf leitmotifs from over the years made an appearance too. Usually with Ganon and his phantoms we either get magic volleyball or a pure melee fight, but this time both his status as a warrior and a sorceror are really on display. He uses four different weapon types, he's shooting demon magic in the more classic Agahnim-style and as arrows, he's creating gloom shockwaves, conjuring phantoms, he can perfect dodge. Again, from an atmosphere standpoint I pretty much like every Ganondorf fight, but gameplay-wise I think this is like a distillation of everything he is as a boss. Plus there's great moments where the gameplay converges with the story in ways it rarely has before, like that moment where his health bar goes past the usual range or having the Sages actually fight alongside you, instead of just "lending their power" in a more vague way like they have in previous games.

I agree about it being one of the best games of all time, though.
Tears of the Kingdom Ganondorf battle is pure perfecion, Nintendo has managed to surpass Twilight Princess Ganondorf as the best battle of him, we have his music using severals section that reference his past battle, like the intense druming of the Wind Waker Ganondorf, we have the classic Ganondorf theme for Ocarina of Time during the intro of his battle, and his attack that reference his past aparences, like the twin katana that make me think of Wind Waker Ganondorf, you reflecting his gloom blast a la Ocarina of Time Ganondorf, and his transforming into Ganon like in Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess

You could always just mark them on that map so you can know where they're usually at. I do that with some larger ore deposit areas.
i always mark with a treasure stamp all the caves i found and a skull stamp, all the Chasm i found, Diamond for abadonded mines

Ending spoilers

Thought it was really cool that you could destroy the rocks blocking the last two Zonai panel depictions from the very start of the game only for them to reveal what happened to Zelda all along.

Ending spoilers

Thought it was really cool that you could destroy the rocks blocking the last two Zonai panel depictions from the very start of the game only for them to reveal what happened to Zelda all along.
Your username betrays you because I did not know that. Damn that's a cool detail.

They made the whole vibe in the depths under Hyrule Castle even scarier than the Depths themselves. That and the enemies hit hard! Very claustrophobic and oppressive atmosphere. I thought it was brilliant.

Even after the combat parts, my heart was POUNDING making my way to the Imprisoning Chamber. I don't think I've ever felt apprehensive about a final battle before.

Also a great little detail that you can blow up the boulders in that chamber and reveal the murals of what happened to Zelda.

They made the whole vibe in the depths under Hyrule Castle even scarier than the Depths themselves. That and the enemies hit hard! Very claustrophobic and oppressive atmosphere. I thought it was brilliant.

Even after the combat parts, my heart was POUNDING making my way to the Imprisoning Chamber. I don't think I've ever felt apprehensive about a final battle before.

Also a great little detail that you can blow up the boulders in that chamber and reveal the murals of what happened to Zelda.
I like that it became more alien and less like anything else in the game the closer you got to Ganondorf.

I like that it became more alien and less like anything else in the game the closer you got to Ganondorf.

Yeah, the music and sound editing was outstanding. Very eerie, and it's all heightened by the fact that that's where you started the game, where it all started.

PS...

I gave the light dragon a run for her money with the amount of tears in my eyes when Zelda asks the Sages to stand with her, all to that incredible sweeping score. Beautiful finish.

Last night, I found the
Yiga Clan Hideout
after collecting the
full Yiga outfit
and got the
Earthwake technique and Lightning Helm
. Very cool!

I also did a handful of shrines and mapped out the depths under Tingel Island. Still, I feel like there might be more to explore there...it seemed like such a useless section of the depths that ended abruptly, unless I missed something. So I think my next goal will be to map out the depths in its entirety so I can find the rest of the
shrines
. Once I do that, I might look for remaining sage's wills, then I think it's endgame time for me, and I'll save caves, bosses, and treasures for another time.

Very cool!
Related to that quest line, honestly I’d love a barehanded moveset for Link in the hypothetical sequel

I’m laughing my ass off, my girlfriend trapped a Boss Bokoblin in a cage and the poor thing can’t do anything but scream what I assume are Boko-language expletives

This game is huge I am just starting the Lightning Temple for my 4th dungeon after 120 hours. And tons of stuff I have to still do in the Gerudo region. Idk when Ill be done with this game lol

60 hours in - only using fast travel to exit the depths
2 towers
24 shrines
15 lightroots
45 koroks
0 regional phenomena

200h. Best game I ever played and nothing comes even close.

Even the story is good this time. I’m even thinking that I will replay everything as soon as I finish this game. Maybe the cheapest game I ever payed for. I would easily pay 100 bucks for this game, but I just payed 30 bucks.

Anyways, I finished the main story! For years I couldn't decide whether BOTW or Twilight Princess was my favourite Zelda. It may be recency bias, but finishing TOTK today has it as my firm #1. What a ride 💗

Back
Top Bottom