• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

Had a good session in Faron last night, explored a few cool caves there. Did a sidequest or two. Wish there was a bit more to to do in Faron, though I havent even been to the islands over it yet and im excited to go there soon.

Probably going to just chill in Hateno for a bit next time I play before progressing the main story lol. Im over 100 hours in and still lots of main quests left...

has she met a Gloom Hand yet?
I honestly don’t know. I don’t wanna ask her directly so I don’t spoil her, and she hasn’t really said anything about spooky hands, so I guess not?

Or a Gleeok?
She’s seen them from afar and noped out right away. The Lynel was funnier because she thought it was just some dude on horseback (don’t ask me how she thought that)

Couple of questions if someone can help, in as non-spoilery terms as possible please...

- Should I be exploring the thunderhead when it's pouring with rain, and I can barely see anything, or do I need to come back later?

- Should I explore the floating Hyrule Castle early or would that trigger main story events?

Many thanks

Couple of questions if someone can help, in as non-spoilery terms as possible please...

- Should I be exploring the thunderhead when it's pouring with rain, and I can barely see anything, or do I need to come back later?

- Should I explore the floating Hyrule Castle early or would that trigger main story events?

Many thanks
Come back later to both.

Many thanks
The latter won't trigger anything.

Do what you want!

My one regret in my playthough is that I listened to someone who said I shouldn't do a certain thing early.

Many thanks
- Come back later.

- Explore away!

Many thanks

I went to both early on, so maybe this can be helpful.

I'd say there's no harm at at visiting Hyrule Castle - I explored it in deep, because I wanted to see it and compare it to the BotW one, and everything was OK and nothing was triggered, so, yes, it is safe to go.

Regarding the other one? In the beggining I thought that there would be some quest, main or side, that would be related to that sky island, but I wanted to explore it a little anyway, because I found all that fog and rain so interesting and mysterious. I didn't triggered any quest, again, but I saw something there that needed active interaction and decided that, although I wasn't sure that may trigger something or not (and there was no way a passive exploration would put me in peril) I thought that better safe than sorry. So you can explore it, I'd say, but maybe just don't actively interact too much with things.

Got all the shrines. There's still plenty more I could do but I think, for now at least, my time with the game is over. But what a time, not many games that aren't MMOs hook me enough for me to invest over 100 hours into.

Hoping for DLC!

Is there any minigame with cool rewards? Except for the skydiving one the others I found were about money(and maybe material).

Btw, I'm replaying Oot after a lot of years and it's really cool how varied are the rewards for minigames and side activities, not only piece of heart.
It even has a cool reward for getting a perfect score at the gerudo archery.

Last edited:
I'm not referring to item use, which did get revolutionized (or, well, it would be, if we still had items I guess). I'm talking about how say, Forbidden Woods introduces the idea of needing to take out these eyeball vines blocking a door by throwing a big nut at them. Then it introduces platforms you move by using the deku leaf on fans. Then you need to use those platforms to get the nut to the door. And as the dungeon goes on you have to keep doing this, finding more and more ways to take out the vines with the different tools available, often crossing over with mechanics used in other puzzles. Earlier Zelda games would kind of just fill a lot of the rooms with random puzzles, but from Wind Waker on this sort of design became a focal point, although Wind Waker itself generally wasn't fantastic at it.

TotK does often like to have a bunch of puzzles with the same mechanic in the same general area, like how mirror puzzles are associated with the Gerudo region, but the main difference is that it tends to shy away from developing them in difficulty or complexity because it's almost never able to guarantee that this isn't the first time a player has seen this mechanic. You can have a shrine about using cars to cross lava flows and a shrine about using hydrants to cross lava flows, but you can't have a shrine bringing the two concepts together and combining them, because then it could be the first one you play between the three. This leads to most mechanics in the game feeling like they never get pushed very far in what they can do, despite often being capable of doing a much greater variety of things than mechanics in previous Zeldas.
A big reason I found the Lightning Temple underwhelming is that it uses the mirror mechanic just like Spirit Temple or WW Earth Temple, but it makes the weakest use of it since OoT. At its most involved, you're never manually placing more than one mirror, and never reflecting light off more than two or three total I think. And they barely touched on using the light against enemies. After each previous game to use this mechanic (OoT, MM, WW) did progressively more with it, this was a straight regression, and it was mechanically worse because of how finicky placing the mirrors just right could be. I am aware of at least one place in the game with a more involved mirror puzzle than any in the dungeon though, and I'm not sure how to feel about that.
I suppose another thing I should add is that on the flip side TotK doesn't always care if you've never been introduced to a mechanic, and will occasionally give no introduction whether it's a more complex variant of something else in the game or not. If you're unlucky, you can very much end up at a shrine or something that you don't have the knowledge to complete because it relies on an unknown mechanic. I guess they figured it's alright since if you get stuck you can just go somewhere else or try to work out an alternative solution. I'm really not a fan of this though.

I understand the argument, but I don't agree with it. All the major puzzle themes do have more complex and more simple variations. I guess the open nature of the game and the dungeons means they can't insure you do them in a specific order, so if that alone bothers you then sure, but the claim that there aren't more complex variations on puzzles doesn't match my experience with Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom.

I’ve finished my third temple about 60 hours in and am starting to feel a bit burned out. It’s not the game’s fault; I’m just slow and need to take a break after almost 2 months of Zelda. But I’m afraid that if I do, I’ll never come back and finish the game, which is what happened with BOTW.

I’ve finished my third temple about 60 hours in and am starting to feel a bit burned out. It’s not the game’s fault; I’m just slow and need to take a break after almost 2 months of Zelda. But I’m afraid that if I do, I’ll never come back and finish the game, which is what happened with BOTW.
Why don't you just beeline the main story and wrap up then? Shouldn't take you a whole lot of time to do that

Milked this game pretty well (100+ hours). Finally finished the entire main story and a good amount of the side content. I feel pretty good with my time with this game. Absolutely incredible ending battle, final cutscenes and just an all around amazing game. :)

Had a grand old time on it today, and things are definitely wrapping up for me. Completed some long running Side Adventures, hit 143 shrines (with 7 more marked on the ground, and I'm guessing a couple more in the thunderstorm above Faron), and completed other milestones which didn't have a quest marker.

• completed the newspaper side adventure. Had a lot of fun with this one. I like that authentic mishaps relating to Zelda were mixed with appearances by the imposter, and I also like the way this quest sequence brought the Yiga in. Another little touch - the photos in Zelda's house in Hateno all relate to the authentic sightings of her in Hyrule.
  • rebuilt Lurelin. What a gorgeous place.
  • finished the Hyrulean sky tablets side adventure, too. Again, I enjoyed this, as it fleshes out Zelda's story a little more.
  • completed the last two monster squad missions. I hadn't been to Faron for most of the game, so hadn't met Flax. Her two missions in Faron and Hebron were the most interesting of the bunch.
  • Showed Rhondson a photo of her daughter playing in Gerudo Town.
  • told the little boys at Duelling Peaks Stable about the creatures they'd spotted.
  • killed my second King Gleeok, above Eventide Island, and finished the sixth and final Coliseum beneath Eventide. Combined with using a flamethrower glider to clear the enemy camps on the island, this was one of my favourite little chunks of the game. I've killed the King Gleeok in the Depths, and have the locations of two more in the sky; I'll aim to defeat those two before fighting Ganondorf.
  • did Starview Island. Wish there were a few more unique islands like this. Love the sky vibes.
  • I've not done the Fifth Sage stuff yet, but am gradually heading there.
  • Finished Robbie's side adventure and got the third travel medallion.

Phew. What a fun day. I also was double checking my Depths map versus the surface to make sure I hadn't missed shrines - lo and behold, I'd missed three on the Great Plateau (I cleared the side quest there ages ago, but didn't linger). Conveniently, the final side adventure I need to finish takes place near there.

So, in a fun quirk, some of my final time in this game will be returning to the Great Plateau, where it all started years ago. I've got a little more to clear in Faron, then I'll stock up to take on a couple of boss monsters, and then it'll be one last sojourn around the Great Plateau before I head to fight the Demon King.

I've finished all shrines, but have still been looking for Korok seeds (I'm missing some shield slots still) and wells (they are fun and I'm missing quite a few, I only recently figured out a good way to find them). I may just have to finish the thing and wrap things up to not sour myself on the whole experience, as it does get a bit repetitive when you only have a few kinds of things to do.

I'm already confident to say this is a better game than Breath of the Wild, but that I've not been as amazed by it because it is an iteration rather than something completely new.

Son of a bitch. The one time that applies!!

I think the only reason I "got" that shrine is because it immediately reminded me of one in Breath of the Wild:
"Look to the Stars"

Not the only time I felt like having Breath of the Wild experience was a benefit. Another example is a specific set of Misko's treasure riddles
There's one that has three locations, and one of them is obviously referring to Skull Lake, but unlike Breath of the Wild there isn't an NPC that's basically pointing out that there's a lake that looks like a skull in Akkala. I'm not sure I would have figured it out based on how vague the riddle wording is.

I'm already confident to say this is a better game than Breath of the Wild, but that I've not been as amazed by it because it is an iteration rather than something completely new
I'm a bit envious of my girlfriend for that, TotK is entirely new to her.

After seeing so many complaints about map reuse i’m glad I resisted the urge to replay BotW all these years. I’ve been having a blast rediscovering Hyrule.
Yeah I have a poor geographical sense in general so while I can remember some landmarks here and there, it all still felt fresh to me.

TotK is still insane after spending 200+ hours with BotW. I cannot imagine what it must feel to play it fresh.

After seeing so many complaints about map reuse i’m glad I resisted the urge to replay BotW all these years. I’ve been having a blast rediscovering Hyrule.
the ideal experience is to play BOTW for 40-50 hours in 2017, never touch it again, and then go into TOTK fresh in 2023 and rack up 3x that playtime

Last night I did the shrine with all the floating bubbles and spent fifteen minutes manipulating the bubbles, cursing, and jumping to my death til I finally consulted the internet.

Folks, I forgot recall existed. I’ve been playing this game for 90 hours.

It’s ironic how Recall is the ability people forget to use the most
I always remember Recall because of the amount of times I drop things I don't mean to drop, usually on hills and slopes or off sky islands, and Recall's massive range means I usually manage to get them back.

Took Nintendo so long to restock the Zelda Pro controller here in the UK it'll arrive when I've probably finished the game (set to arrive July 8th).

I always remember Recall because of the amount of times I drop things I don't mean to drop, usually on hills and slopes or off sky islands, and Recall's massive range means I usually manage to get them back.
I was scaling sky islands yesterday using a hoverboard, but I haven't perfected the balanced build yet, so it mostly only goes upward instead of forward. I drop down onto a new sky island from the hoverboard, but I miscalculated its giant bounce upon smacking into the floor of the island, and it fell all the way to the surface. No problem - just recall it and ultrahand it over to you before the bounce. Incredible range

Shrine completion spoiler

I just completed all of the 152 shrines, head to the temple of time to get my prize, when I get it I was like "oh this is a weird mask", put it on and I was not prepared for my change in appearance.

I've also just completed all the shrines. One side adventure to finish, and then I either do my optional goal in the sky, or go straight to fight the Big Bad.

I've also just completed all the shrines. One side adventure to finish, and then I either do my optional goal in the sky, or go straight to fight the Big Bad.
Nice! How many hours in?

I did a bunch of the sky, depths, and shrines yesterday, and I'm at the open-ended main quest after the four regional phenomena, so I'm going to start taking my sweet time with bosses, all shrines, all bosses, and (hopefully) all caves, though that may be ridiculous. I should just exploit the cherry blossoms lmao

Nice! How many hours in?

I did a bunch of the sky, depths, and shrines yesterday, and I'm at the open-ended main quest after the four regional phenomena, so I'm going to start taking my sweet time with bosses, all shrines, all bosses, and (hopefully) all caves, though that may be ridiculous. I should just exploit the cherry blossoms lmao
165. One lighroot left, but I know where it is, one side adventure to finish. All main quests, all memories, all shrines.

There’s a silent mushroom hanging around out of reach inside the little waterfall crevice at Tal Tal Peaks and it’s driving me nuts lol. It totally looks like you should be able to get inside. But looking around online it seems nobody can get into it. Guess the developers just wanted to mess with people.

say what you will about the dungeons but the fact that they are seemless with the overworld is super impressive

That's honestly one of my favorite things really. They may vary in the ways you approach them but I really appreciate they are just...here and you can return to them as you please.

say what you will about the dungeons but the fact that they are seemless with the overworld is super impressive
I just got to my third dungeon,
the fire temple. Major major OoT vibes and the fact that this giant structure is underground is blowing my mind right now
I have no words.

I wish the caves on the surface were depths levels of dark as the first cave on the tutorial sky island suggested they would be. Instead they're brown and hazy which mutes the picture of its color which is a common complaint I have with the game in general anyway outside of caves as I like taking pictures with the camera and ideal conditions are very rare because of the haze.

There’s a silent mushroom hanging around out of reach inside the little waterfall crevice at Tal Tal Peaks and it’s driving me nuts lol. It totally looks like you should be able to get inside. But looking around online it seems nobody can get into it. Guess the developers just wanted to mess with people.
yeah theres no way to get inside,i tried for hours

bcd518acad4d00d226fdcba3394aedcd.gif

Back
Top Bottom