• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

I still have some time to play, but it’s the 1st game i have played more than 150h and I don’t feel tired of playing it.

I actually thought of restarting a new game and going to the dungeons I didn’t finish and then to hyrule castle.

The gameplay loop is so good that I can’t believe I have 150h on this one. It’s almost the perfect videogame.

Everything you do in this game you have fun. It’s really a lighting in a bottle.
Oh absolutely. Those 270 hours were pure fun and never felt like doing a chore. In fact that's the reason I don't want to be obsessed with 100%. I know it would feel like doing something for the sake of completion instead of having fun.

140 hours plus, and I've just returned to Lookout Landing and completed the Regional Phenomena quest line.

I can assume that the next objective won't trigger the end game - because I completed the geolgyphs ages ago, there's still stuff that isn't being resolved so I know there's more to come after Hyrule Castle. I know from the memories there's probably another sage (the Zonai inventor lady I'm guessing) and therefore a quest of some sort to find her.

Irritating thing first: I really dislike that the game's main script doesn't do much to anticipate the different ways you could have tackled the main narrative threads. The only regional quest I did before completing the geoglyphs was the Rito quest line. Every other step of the way I've known the Zelda sighted around Hyrule is an imposter and is, presumably, a Ganon puppet (probably a Phantom Ganon, given their presence in the game). I think the failure to adjust the game's script is an oversight; Link has no reason to hide his discovery of Zelda's fate from characters like Yunobo, Purah, Riju and Sidon - not least because he's already informed Impa.

What frustrates me is the game has simple options here. Impa could well ask you not to tell the other main characters yet, saying that this might affect morale, and that Impa wants time to research Zelda being a dragon to see if anything can be done. Link's silence in the rest of the main quests then doesn't need to be adjusted.

What I'd have liked more is for Link to tell the Sage characters and Purah, but nobody else. The dynamics of the quests change very little, because we know we have to pursue the imposter regardless of it not being Zelda. This method would then create a deliberate contrast with the newspaper questline, where Link also chases stories relating to the imposter. In this case, it makes complete sense for Link not to tell journalists Zelda is a dragon. Sure, you can stretch the main quest to assume Link hides this key information from the sages and Purah so they don't lose hope or something, but the fact the bulk of the game isn't voice acted gives Nintendo easy options to address this explicitly.

That's not to say I'm feeling negative about the game at all. Compared to how absorbed I was in exploring the two Gerudo regions this weekend, this is nothing. The Gerudo questline was probably my favourite overall. I know it's a bummer when someone can only articulate their negative thoughts about something, so will try to properly articulate my positive reactions after I've made dinner.

But - 140 hours in, 7 weeks later and presumably the bulk of the main story done - I'm still completely absorbed. Nothing has ever held my attention like this.

Stumbled on something in the Depths, can someone tell me (in a mostly non-spoilery way) if the main story will take me here later or if I can clear it now?

The Construct Factory. The music was my first clue something was different about this place.

Stumbled on something in the Depths, can someone tell me (in a mostly non-spoilery way) if the main story will take me here later or if I can clear it now?

The Construct Factory. The music was my first clue something was different about this place.
From what I understand, you can clear it now, but it's definitely meant for later. I'm getting close to it myself. How far are you?

From what I understand, you can clear it now, but it's definitely meant for later. I'm getting close to it myself. How far are you?

I'm only three dungeons in. Weird how it let's you stumble on things like this. It's not particularly hidden or anything. I'll wait I think, thanks.

So, some other thoughts now I've advanced the main story past the initial four regional quests:

Even if I'm unhappy that the game continues to ignore key developments I did out of order (finding the memories, learning of Zelda's sacrifice, getting the Master Sword, defeating Kohga and finding Ganondorf's lurking place), resolving Crisis at Hyrule Castle was exactly what the main story needed at that point. I really like that it ties everything together up to this point in a tense cat and mouse mission, before the most intense fight of the main story so far - and boy is it exciting to face off against a group of Phantom Ganons with the Sage spirits at my side. A really fun and exciting sequence.

I also really like that the game invites you to simply continue at your own pace at this point. 'Explore Zonai Ruins to find the Fifth Sage' is such a vague quest and, normally after 145 hours of play, I'd be passed done with a game. But here it felt like exactly what I needed. I worried about how I'd wrap this up as I advanced the main quest; but now I've got 'permission' to scour Hyrule all over again within the context of the main narrative. I'm fairly sure I know where the fifth Sage is (I'm yet to thoroughly explore Faron or the thunderstorm lurking above it, or the Depths beneath that part of Hyrule), but mentally I feel like I can check off some other things before advancing towards the probable location of the Sage.

Finally, on the other stuff I've played this weekend, I loved returning to Gerudo Desert. While the boss probably wasn't as spectacular as Colgera, I loved the design of it. I loved the sense of peril caused by the sandstorm and the Gerudo taking refuge; I like how Rija has developed into such a capable leader. I loved the Lightning Temple, which felt like the most 'dungeon like' area of the game. I loved that there was a unique enemy that posed a threat here in the shape of the Gibdo, and I wish the other regional quests maintained this level of threat. The Rito quest comes closest with the blizzard I think, and it's why I felt the Zora quest was weakest: they never made mud from the sky feel as pressing a threat as the blizzard or sand storm/Gibdo threat.

More broadly, the desert itself is such a great environment to have when you're 130 hours into the game because it is so radically different to everything else. I remember the epic feeling when I arrived at Gerudo Desert back in Twilight Princess in 2006 and how alien it felt compared to the rest of Hyrule; BotW and TotK takes this idea and expands on it in every direction.

I think what impresses me most as I keep playing is how cohesive and alive this world feels despite the fact Nintendo are never once aiming for realism.

And, the simple things still feel great. I left the Desert on foot, got my horse back at Diggdogg Bridge, and went back to Lookout Landing at a leisurely pace. Hyrule's topography is stunning in a way few game worlds are, its horizons always tantalising and full of character, its dawn and dusk the most magical of any game.

I wasn't necessarily tired of this game before this weekend, but I was beginning to think I should rush to the credits because of other games. I didn't expect to be at 145 hours after 7 weeks and not be finished with my playthrough. But this weekend has really just reinforced that inhabiting this world and this adventure is a top tier gaming experience. I'm going to keep enjoying that, and so the next part of the quest will let me travel around the Kingdom again and exploring all those magic horizons.

Last edited:
This morning I’ve been having weapons and shields break when I’m not using them, or when they’re not even equipped. Am I missing something?

So, some other thoughts now I've advanced the main story past the initial four regional quests:
Regarding key events: yeah, I think the only time the game acknowledges you're doing things "out of order" is when you meet back up with Purah and the others at Lookout Landing after beating the Phantom Ganon squad (great fight, btw).

I think what impresses me most as I keep playing is how cohesive and alive this world feels despite the fact Nintendo are never once aiming for realism
By far the video game world that feels most alive, in my opinion. I feel like I'm genuinely living in that world sometimes.

Missing one shrine and can’t find which one on the surface. Very frustrating. Any ideas? Trying to count them all now.

Finally roll the credit after 230 hours, 152/120
what an ending!!
I think the puzzels and shrine are way too easy this time, and some QoL improvement is definitly needed.(sage's ability)
it is still an incredible game, probably 3rd of my favorite zelda games,
and I don't think any game can come close to Totk this year, or even next 2 years.

some people said they feel fatigue after awhile but I just finished Botw for the 3rd time before Totk
and I am still not done with this game yet, time to finish all the side quests and find all the landmark, equips and Koroks!!

the adventure is far from finish!

I fought and killed my first Gleeok yesterday.

Thank god i was on a sky island before and had 3 fairies in my inventory.

I suggest waiting, although I'm pretty sure you can't clear it completely before doing all four temples.

195 hours later, after 700+ koroks and with a map completion of 88%... it's done. It's finally done. And oh my. From the begginning of the path to find that old mummy to the final scene, that has to be one of the best endings in the entire series - or videogames in general, right? I can't stop thinking about it.

And, without a doubt, Demon King Ganondorf in general, and the final phase in particular, has to be the toughest final battle in any Zelda game, right? I had full hearts (except the two unobtainable ones), with like five 15-heart recovery solirium recipes, another five hearty recipes, three damn fairies and it basically obliterated me and I was only able to beat him with one heart remaining - and, I mean, I have almost 1.000 hours on BotW and I beat the damn Trial of the Sword with three hearts on Master Mode, so I think I know a little about combat. It's true that this was a first try and that I decided to only use a non-fused Master Sword for the fight, to make it "more canonical", but... I mean, damn.

Overall, what a game... what a game.

although I'm pretty sure you can't clear it completely before doing all four temples
Actually, you can! It’s what I did. I didn’t even know it was supposed to be a main story quest. Thought it was a cool optional thing.

I fought and killed my first Gleeok yesterday
High five!

From the begginning of the path to find that old mummy to the final scene, that has to be one of the best endings in the entire series - or videogames in general, right?
I personally really adore the ending. (Ending spoilers) The boss Ganondorf fight was crazy! That he can counter your Flurry Rushes and he can straight up destroy heart containers was so cool. Then you get the dueling dragons sequence, followed by Link hurtling through the sky to catch Zelda before both of you hit the ground. Great stuff .

My copy just arrived. I paid $40. Wasn't willing to go the full $70 on it, just 'cuz BotW wasn't really my type of game (I still put like 35 hours into it, though). If I can get the same amount of gameplay out of TotK, it'll easily have proven worth the buy. Excited to give it a shot!

So, 140 hours after I first left Lookout Landing, to begin the various regional quests, I left again today with those quests completed. Loosely and quickly retracing my route around the surface to knock off the handful of shrines I missed and to complete a handful of quests. Then I've got a few sky islands to do, the last chunk of the Depths, and then Faron and the very southeast corner of the surface before I go to confront The Big Bad.

How do y'all keep track of sky areas you have yet to explore? I'm having a tough time with that, since I've completed the sky map but can't remember offhand which areas I've actually spent time visiting for flux constructs, old maps, shrine quests, etc.

How do y'all keep track of sky areas you have yet to explore? I'm having a tough time with that, since I've completed the sky map but can't remember offhand which areas I've actually spent time visiting for flux constructs, old maps, shrine quests, etc.
i mark them with a stamp

Could try using the Hero's Path in the map screen?

Finally finished it, it really does feel like they perfected the BotW format with this one. I loved Breath of the Wild but I could see why some aspects were controversial, with Tears of the Kingdom I really don't understand how anyone could be unimpressed with it. The only criticism I can sort of understand is being overwhelmed, I never felt bored with it but I do think if the Zelda team is obsessed with always going bigger with their worlds going forward it could be an issue. I don't think it's all that likely, I think everything in this game felt like it had a reason for being there, but it's always something of which the developers of open-world games should be wary.

Any tips on cool, unique, inspiring stuff in the endgame? Finished the story a few weeks ago and stopped seeking out side content because seeing that enormous Hyrule - that I already had my fill of in BotW - is kinda disheartening :p .

• Met King Gleeok;
  • Fought 3 of the 4 bosses underground, only Mucktorock remains;
  • Did 1 labyrinth, didn't particularly enjoy it.
  • Unlocked all of the towers;
  • Got the Zonai battery armour set;
  • Lit 2/3 of the Depths, thought it was very samey and bland.

I love this game but I have a consideration
The journey to the rito Dungeon was AMAZING but the dungeon itself was disappointing, the boss was ok.
Goron dungeon nothing so special
Zora dungeon the boss is shit basically, it's a funny boss but not challenging at all.

They are more or less like divine beasts, I would have preferred a more challenge boh in boss and in the dungeon

What do you think?

I suggest waiting, although I'm pretty sure you can't clear it completely before doing all four temples.
You can. You can get to the island in the sky where the whole Questline starts long before the game brings it up in the plot. It was the second of the 5 sages that I cleared.

Any tips on cool, unique, inspiring stuff in the endgame? Finished the story a few weeks ago and stopped seeking out side content because seeing that enormous Hyrule - that I already had my fill of in BotW - is kinda disheartening :p .

• Met King Gleeok;
  • Fought 3 of the 4 bosses underground, only Mucktorock remains;
  • Did 1 labyrinth, didn't particularly enjoy it.
  • Unlocked all of the towers;
  • Got the Zonai battery armour set;
  • Lit 2/3 of the Depths, thought it was very samey and bland.

You aren't alive if you didn't liberate Lurelin, help the man Bolson to rebuild it, and help Hudons and his wife with having a heartful last moments with their daughter before she was sent to Gerudo Town.

You aren't alive if you didn't liberate Lurelin, help the man Bolson to rebuild it, and help Hudons and his wife with having a heartful last moments with their daughter before she was sent to Gerudo Town.
Thanks! Yeah I also did those, thought they were alright. The Hudson one had some nice emotional charge to it for sure.

I guess I'll do a brand new playthrough in a few months, maybe it'll click better then. Otherwise, Mario Wonder might take the cake for my GOTY =P .

It's ridiculous how often it rains in this game. Way way too much. I wouldn't really mind I just think the game looks kind of ugly when it rains. The opposite when it's sunny.

Man, I just finished my second labyrinth and I can't stop thinking that they should devote some budget to unique bosses for these sidequests. Imagine if every labyrinth had a unique boss related to the labyrinth's animal, it'd be extremely memorable. Same for the Lurelin quest I mentioned in an earlier post, having actual pirate enemies (not monsters) would have been really awesome.

Man, I just finished my second labyrinth and I can't stop thinking that they should devote some budget to unique bosses for these sidequests. Imagine if every labyrinth had a unique boss related to the labyrinth's animal, it'd be extremely memorable. Same for the Lurelin quest I mentioned in an earlier post, having actual pirate enemies (not monsters) would have been really awesome.
Enemy variety compared to BotW is great, but I definitely agree that more side quests and meaningful content should have unique bosses. I was thinking that during the same segments you mentioned, too.

Yeah, I think the labyrinths should have had their own bosses. Heck I would have taken a beefed up mook with flunkies as a boss.

Yeah, I think the labyrinths should have had their own bosses. Heck I would have taken a beefed up mook with flunkies as a boss.
i think they are starting to realise that making every enemy a super chemistry system product, has little return. I think the like likes and gleeoks show that

140 hours plus, and I've just returned to Lookout Landing and completed the Regional Phenomena quest line.

I can assume that the next objective won't trigger the end game - because I completed the geolgyphs ages ago, there's still stuff that isn't being resolved so I know there's more to come after Hyrule Castle. I know from the memories there's probably another sage (the Zonai inventor lady I'm guessing) and therefore a quest of some sort to find her.

Irritating thing first: I really dislike that the game's main script doesn't do much to anticipate the different ways you could have tackled the main narrative threads. The only regional quest I did before completing the geoglyphs was the Rito quest line. Every other step of the way I've known the Zelda sighted around Hyrule is an imposter and is, presumably, a Ganon puppet (probably a Phantom Ganon, given their presence in the game). I think the failure to adjust the game's script is an oversight; Link has no reason to hide his discovery of Zelda's fate from characters like Yunobo, Purah, Riju and Sidon - not least because he's already informed Impa.

What frustrates me is the game has simple options here. Impa could well ask you not to tell the other main characters yet, saying that this might affect morale, and that Impa wants time to research Zelda being a dragon to see if anything can be done. Link's silence in the rest of the main quests then doesn't need to be adjusted.

What I'd have liked more is for Link to tell the Sage characters and Purah, but nobody else. The dynamics of the quests change very little, because we know we have to pursue the imposter regardless of it not being Zelda. This method would then create a deliberate contrast with the newspaper questline, where Link also chases stories relating to the imposter. In this case, it makes complete sense for Link not to tell journalists Zelda is a dragon. Sure, you can stretch the main quest to assume Link hides this key information from the sages and Purah so they don't lose hope or something, but the fact the bulk of the game isn't voice acted gives Nintendo easy options to address this explicitly.

That's not to say I'm feeling negative about the game at all. Compared to how absorbed I was in exploring the two Gerudo regions this weekend, this is nothing. The Gerudo questline was probably my favourite overall. I know it's a bummer when someone can only articulate their negative thoughts about something, so will try to properly articulate my positive reactions after I've made dinner.

But - 140 hours in, 7 weeks later and presumably the bulk of the main story done - I'm still completely absorbed. Nothing has ever held my attention like this.
Yeah they really need to work with this. I posted this in the spoiler thread I think? Or here? Either way, since nothing is technically mandatory, the game has to pepper in small plot details into basically every big story event. So even when you get one geoglyph and one regional phenomena, you already know that Zelda wound up in the past and is now part of that same Imprisoning War she talked about while wandering the cave with Link in the beginning. Pieces start to get connected really quickly to the point where what you wind up discovering through later memories, while cool imagery, is never this revolutionary discovery.

My favorite and most memorable parts of TOTK were the very end of the game, the end of the geoglyph quest, and, most of all, the first 5 hours; basically from "Nintendo presents" to when you get the Paraglider. I don't think that's an accident; the pacing is controlled, moments hit exactly when the game wants them to hit, and the story is the most impactful. I know going straight to Lookout Landing isn't mandatory, but it should be, especially for a sequel that takes place in a mostly unchanged Hyrule. It reintroduces old characters and re-contextualizes the giant world you may have already spent 100+ hours exploring. Anything to help invest you into its world. Best part is, despite the opening's more story-centric focus, I never felt the game limiting its scope for the sake of a tutorial. I was doing all the same things I would be doing once the guard rails are taken off and the world completely opens up. The Great Sky Island isn't technically linear, but it feels best serviced to be and the experience never feels like it sacrifices freedom, because your new abilities have such widespread usage that are all applicable at any given time; your imagination is already unlocked.

If this "open-air" style of Zelda is truly the future then they definitely need to fine tune exactly how we discover story moments because it's just entirely too easy to rob yourself of the story's agency by finding a late-story geoglyph and spoiling part of that ending for you, and maybe revealing key info without a significant build. Maybe geoglyphs should've appeared one at a time, maybe the game could've constructed a more linear story and left the freedom to the mechanics, shrines and town quests. Progress the story with a completion meter or something.

100% agree with your suggestion that just small dialogue changes would've gone a really long way to preserve discovery. Love the sage idea and I especially love the Impa idea. In fact, since she was the harbinger of the geoglyph quest, perhaps she should've been more involved outside of following her to the Forgotten Temple.

I’d imagine they leaned on the chemistry system because it would be more cost effective, but I definitely agree that I would love to see more unique, non-chemistry-reliant enemy types.

They probably have a checklist of requirements for most of the enemies, shock, freeze, fire, confuse, smoke, sleep, finds food its all lot.

The wierd thing is, at least from someone who understands little sbout development, is there seems to be rather easy pathways to adding uniqueness to each encounter

what if you found a bokoblin wearing a torn sheikah jacket, small storytelling like that, which uses the players imagination is something botw was good at. I hadn't thought this before, but playing elden ring, i think nintendo is limited, at least in the ease with which others can implement these dynamics, by being a e10 game. Could a monster which grabs a friendly npc and uses them as a shield be allowed?

Another thing which ive encountered in Elden ring is it appears like the game just has different sizes of enemies

I imagine you could shrink a bunch of bokoblins down to the size of a keese, then program to charge at link and be more likley to throw weapons. Have them come out of a tree stump when link cuts it and change their color/slight desgin alterations (horn placement and stuff) and you have a new enemy

Could a monster which grabs a friendly npc and uses them as a shield be allowed?
I don’t see why not, plenty of ways to make that E10.

is there seems to be rather easy pathways to adding uniqueness to each encounter
There is a bit of uniqueness to the encounters, of course. The area you’re fighting in, for example, heavily influences how to approach combat, even if you’re fighting the same enemy type.

Another thing which ive encountered in Elden ring is it appears like the game just has different sizes of enemies
The Bokoblins, Moblins and Boss Bokoblins are kinda like this. They don’t differ much in design, function and moveset. I’d say the same for Keese and Aerocudas.

There is a bit of uniqueness to the encounters, of course. The area you’re fighting in, for example, heavily influences how to approach combat, even if you’re fighting the same enemy type.

Yea i agree, i should of wrote more uniqueness
The Bokoblins, Moblins and Boss Bokoblins are kinda like this. They don’t differ much in design, function and moveset. I’d say the same for Keese and Aerocudas.
I get that, but although im early on in my er playthrough it seems like its the exact same enemy just bigger

The lack of enemy variety is the main reason I have little motivation to do a sidequest like Lurelin. I never want to fight another one of these bokoblins/moblins/lizalfos in my life.

So I went to a South Akkala Stable which involves trying to get a cucco out of a well. However at one point it seemingly despawned(?) because I can't find it anywhere. Has this happened to anyone else?

I’d imagine they leaned on the chemistry system because it would be more cost effective, but I definitely agree that I would love to see more unique, non-chemistry-reliant enemy types.

Aonuma: "Got it, more stuff like Gloom Hands!"

So I went to a South Akkala Stable which involves trying to get a cucco out of a well. However at one point it seemingly despawned(?) because I can't find it anywhere. Has this happened to anyone else?
It never happened to me. That said, maybe you are not asked to get it out of the well.

Back
Top Bottom