• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

One of the things I've enjoyed in the closing stages of this playthrough has been looping back through locations from earlier in the game. I've finished the Stable Trotters side adventure today, and that took me back to the Tabantha snowfield, which I'd first explored like 6 weeks and 120 hours ago.

It's an interesting experience, and especially when that's combined with memories of exploring this world in the previous game, it really makes it feel both vaster and more authentic.

One of the things I've enjoyed in the closing stages of this playthrough has been looping back through locations from earlier in the game. I've finished the Stable Trotters side adventure today, and that took me back to the Tabantha snowfield, which I'd first explored like 6 weeks and 120 hours ago.

It's an interesting experience, and especially when that's combined with memories of exploring this world in the previous game, it really makes it feel both vaster and more authentic.
Yup. I’m weirdly nostalgic for things I did in the game weeks ago. I’ve poured so many hours into the game so anything I did from like hour ten to fifteen feels like a lifetime ago.

Still haven’t cleared the game yet. I’ve done all the dungeons and around 115 shrines. Definitely going to at least do all shrines and light roots before I roll credits.

I have no idea how reviews were written for this game after like 2 weeks of playing. A lot of my best moments and realisations came in the last couple of weeks over a month after playing over 100 hours.

Nearly finished at work for the day, which means I'll soon be setting out to finish Tears of the Kingdom.

I have no idea how reviews were written for this game after like 2 weeks of playing. A lot of my best moments and realisations came in the last couple of weeks over a month after playing over 100 hours.

I can't remember which review it was but a pretty notable one talked about how at one point after the introduction to a boss, a flying vehicle magically appeared in the corner where it wasn't before the cutscene. They made it sound like it was a common occurrence. I assume they mean the part during the Goron quest, because I can't remember any other times like that. And even if there were, what a nitpicky, pointless thing to complain about.

I just read the Eurogamer one the other day and the fact he keeps referring to the Depths as 'the Chasms' was annoying too.

I can't remember which review it was but a pretty notable one talked about how at one point after the introduction to a boss, a flying vehicle magically appeared in the corner where it wasn't before the cutscene. They made it sound like it was a common occurrence. I assume they mean the part during the Goron quest, because I can't remember any other times like that. And even if there were, what a nitpicky, pointless thing to complain about.

I just read the Eurogamer one the other day and the fact he keeps referring to the Depths as 'the Chasms' was annoying too.

Got to admit I thought about that review. Kinda makes me think he didn’t actually do much in the depths.

Took a decent second break from this game, last time for travel this time for pikmin/multiplayer games

Today I got back in and have been building to navigate a ton in the depths and am having so much fun. This game is so many different itches scratched all in one!

I was supposed to be doing my third temple today but uh… yeah…

Last edited:
I'm 160 hours in and still struggle to use small wheels properly without the platform I just built sliding right off of them or some other crap. Any pointers?

The
Construct Factory in the Right Arm Depot
is making an absolute fool out of me lmao

I’m not sure what you mean honestly. I stick em onto a sled if that helps.
In the
Construct Factory
, you're basically forced to
Use small wheels to try to bring the right arm across a giant electrified platform
, but every time I try to stick a small wheel on the undercarriage, the part slides right off of the wheel. Then, when I try to attach small wheels to the sides, it won't move across that platform at all.

I've basically been cheesing the entire dungeon because it's been making me feel like an idiot at every turn

In the
Construct Factory
Use small wheels to try to bring the right arm across a giant electrified platform
, but every time I try to stick a small wheel on the undercarriage, the part slides right off of the wheel. Then, when I try to attach small wheels to the sides, it won't move across that platform at all.

I've basically been cheesing the entire dungeon because it's been making me feel like an idiot at every turn
you're talking about this kind of wheel, right?
iu

the only reason I can think of it sliding off is if you're trying to balance the object on the flat top of the wheel rather than actually ultrahand-gluing it on—all the parts you need to transport in that section can be glued/attached to each other. might just need two or more wheels to help it stay upright

you're talking about this kind of wheel, right?
iu

the only reason I can think of it sliding off is if you're trying to balance the object on the flat top of the wheel rather than actually ultrahand-gluing it on—all the parts you need to transport in that section can be glued/attached to each other. might just need two or more wheels to help it stay upright
Yeah, I had 4 of these bad boys physically attached to the part, 2 to each side, not just balancing. I must've been doing something wrong but I really didn't have anymore patience to try to figure it out after a half an hour

64 photos and 8 (?!) auto build favorites are not enough!!

But it would not surprise me if there’s a mechanic to increase the latter I’ve yet to find

In the
Construct Factory

I cheesed this one. First I tried to use a Zonai pillar in the ground at a 45 degree angle and rested the arm box on that. Then I attached two rockets to it and fired it across the gap, but it went too high, got stuck in the ceiling, and didn't make it.

The next time I just put the arm box upright, attached rockets, and fired it across the gap. It stayed pressed against the wall for a few valuable seconds before it fell to the ground, so I was able to run across to the other side, then use Recall on the arm to levitate it high enough that I could grab it with Ultrahand.

Yeah, I had 4 of these bad boys physically attached to the part, 2 to each side, not just balancing. I must've been doing something wrong but I really didn't have anymore patience to try to figure it out after a half an hour

It's hard to say without seeing, but I would guess you either had them misaligned, attached at a non-ideal part of the zonai wheel, or some going the wrong direction.

Any opposing force/friction makes those deattach pretty quick.

Just had a really neat video recommended to me:

Some minor spoilers (Hateno, Lurelin Village Quests & the Rito).

Honestly it's a great example of what I really love about TotK's story and characters. Yes, there's some minor inconsistencies and some questions are unanswered, but Nintendo clearly put a ton of care into giving the land of Hyrule a distinct sense of progression since the 'post-apocalypse' of BotW. They allowed even the most minor of characters to progress some way, and often in ways that make sense for their specific characters. It's one of the only open-world game sequels I can think of that does this, especially at such a granular level of detail as TotK.

The area I was complaining about earlier today wasn't actually too bad after I got over my frustrations. The remaining two puzzles were very fun, and the reward and sequence that followed was awesome. Only one main quest left now!

Just had a really neat video recommended to me:

Some minor spoilers (Hateno, Lurelin Village Quests & the Rito).

Honestly it's a great example of what I really love about TotK's story and characters. Yes, there's some minor inconsistencies and some questions are unanswered, but Nintendo clearly put a ton of care into giving the land of Hyrule a distinct sense of progression since the 'post-apocalypse' of BotW. They allowed even the most minor of characters to progress some way, and often in ways that make sense for their specific characters. It's one of the only open-world game sequels I can think of that does this, especially at such a granular level of detail as TotK.

Tears of the Kingdom vastly improve on severals characters, the game really feel alive, with it theme of comunity/sacrifice.

I've been hunting down all the overworld bosses with the ZeldaDungeon map and I've poured over the depths and surface both twice and compared everything to my Hero's path and I'm STILL missing one.damn.hinox. 😂 so frustrating

Tears of the Kingdom vastly improve on severals characters, the game really feel alive, with it theme of comunity/sacrifice.
It’s just nice having a post-apocalyptic story taking place in the rebuilding phase and everyone is chipping in

Hmmm that’s odd, I’m sure I was able to attach the wheels to the boxes pretty easily

Actually, that bothered me too, but not to the point of making the game bad. It was more like creating an amazing fight and then someone didn't notice that breakpoint? It was agressive how they take a plane out of nowhere.

How amazing would it be if Yonobo was like a crazy aficcionado in planes and then he teaches you a trick about throwing him like a bomb?
They could even portrait him as someone like captain Boieng from Duck Tales, but that's just me giving the character more individuality. The lack of It didn't take enough of the game to justify a complain.

My brother and I made fun of the planes when he first got to that part. Yunobo is all like "how will we get up there!?!?!?" and then you turn around and they've spawned these planes all over the place right behind you where you just walked up. It was just completely transparent and laying it on so thick, inelegantly signposting what you have to do in a way that is much funnier than not even trying to be subtle. But I can't imagine actually caring about immersion enough to be bothered by it, especially in the middle of the dumb Goron sequence of all things. Like, is that really the hill you want to die on, goro?

I was too busy being excited for a plane battle to be worried about the convenience of having a ready made plane

I feel like pausing to make a plane would've felt weirder

I just thought it was a really nitpicky thing to complain about in a review, that one time a pre-made plane was magically there and ready to go.

I was too busy being excited for a plane battle to be worried about the convenience of having a ready made plane

I feel like pausing to make a plane would've felt weirder
This too. It's a funny compromise, but it's a compromise for the sake of having a plane battle. It's weird that they frame it like you actually have to figure something out yourself when they just dropped a bunch of planes on you, but it would be weirder to actually follow through with that and have you build one, with the boss right there. And not significantly less obvious, just less funny, really.

I could see a great sequence like that existing, but it'd be in a much more scripted game, not one where if you wanted I'm sure you could just pull out your own vehicle. "Sorry, I didn't quite get it, you didn't spawn enough planes, let me do this with my hot air balloon and a korok frond fused to a stick."

I'm halfway through the Lightning Temple and the improvement from the Zora one is almost comical. Better design, puzzles, lay-out and feeling.

I'm halfway through the Lightning Temple and the improvement from the Zora one is almost comical. Better design, puzzles, lay-out and feeling.
It's the best temple! Glad you're enjoying it.

I finally got through all of the post-regional phenomena stuff yesterday, so now it's time to clean up shrines, kill as many bosses as I can, find a bunch of caves, fill out and collect all remaining treasures in the depths, and find the remaining sage's wills. I'd like to 100% all of these aspects except for caves before I beat the game.

I just spent 20 minutes searching for the easiest battery that was literally on the ground floor. I did every other complicated thing before that 🙃

The final Lightning Temple music is amazing as well, one of my favourite pieces of music in the game.

Holy shit, that one coliseum in the depths is RIDICULOUS. My ancient blades got some use in there!
I was equally relieved and dissapointed with the final wave. Every other coliseum throws you all the previous enemies at once, so since the begining I was expecting to have to beat like five lynels at the same time, which would have been crazy, yes, but also crazy fun. So when a single one appeared, there was relieve, yes, but also dissapointment. That'd have instantaneously been one of the absolutely most memorable moments of the game.

I was equally relieved and dissapointed with the final wave. Every other coliseum throws you all the previous enemies at once, so since the begining I was expecting to have to beat like five lynels at the same time, which would have been crazy, yes, but also crazy fun. So when a single one appeared, there was relieve, yes, but also dissapointment. That'd have instantaneously been one of the absolutely most memorable moments of the game.

I was very disappointed when only one showed up because I was really looking forward to confuse them with muddle buds and seeing the chaos that would ensue lol they're immune to most things and they can make all your zonai devices disappear, but they aren't immune to confusion. Thing is, they're always lonely, so confusing them doesn't help much.

I'm around 50 hours in and I should probably set out for a certain ability, but I just haven't because there's literally a million interesting activities to do around Hyrule, I'm in utter awe. 🙏 I bet everyone's trek is so different, I love it. I've accomplished one phenomenon.

Nothing beats finally finding a dispenser that yields a Zonai device you've sought after. 😁 And the
tear memories
are literally divine.

I'm... scared to look at how many hours I've played. I'm still playing, because for some reason I can't make myself stop until I get everything I possibly can. I was expecting to be bored by now but I'm just... not. Buuuut I'm seeing more and more ending discussions happening elsewhere so I better find it in me to wrap it up soon before I see a spoiler I don't want to.

Once I beat the game, I'm going to be so curious to see what the internet has determined is the best, most chronological sequence of main story events to experience from beginning to end.

Right now, while having one main story quest left, it feels like the best order would be the four regional phenomena, then
Hyrule Castle, then the Dragon's tears, then the Thunderhead Isles, Construct Factory, and Spirit Temple, then Korok Forest/locating the Master Sword, then Destroy Ganondorf

But it's interesting, because the memories and the
Spirit Temple
kinda feel like they contradict each other. Doing the memories first reveals
Zelda's sacrifice by turning into the Light Dragon and basically the location of the Master Sword if you're paying attention
yet there's a whole section of the Master Sword quest that should theoretically take place at
The Great Deku Tree in Korok Forest since he pinpoints the moving map marker for the Master Sword
. Plus, in the
Spirit Temple, Mineru's flashbacks with Zelda cover the whole Light Dragon draconification and her sacrifice
, So, all in all, I'm super intrigued to see what all of you consider the IDEAL way to experience these events in the proper, "intended" order.

Once I beat the game, I'm going to be so curious to see what the internet has determined is the best, most chronological sequence of main story events to experience from beginning to end.

This is a good question. I did things somewhat randomly and sometimes intentionally went the other way when the game seemed to direct me somewhere, and there was a lot of "Oh, but you seem to already have done that. You really are the hero of legend!", and quests appearing and then immediately completing.

They probably tried to address the feedback BotW got for its lack of direction, but when it is there, but the player chooses not to follow it, it can lead to somewhat clumsy dialogue. You can also get the important story beats very early on, and all the other characters not knowing them can look a bit silly. I'm talking about

Fake Zelda and the Light Dragon

I think it should have been more subtle at points and kept more of the story either up for the player to figure out or revealed in the end for more impact. When you know what everything is about some 20 hours in, the following 100 hours are somewhat lacking in the story department. But perhaps if you did things in a different order, it wouldn't be so obvious!

Then for some final boss thoughts:

The area before it is somewhat uninteresting, and just throwing random basic enemies at you feels a bit pointless. After things quiet down and you are just descending towards Ganondorf, it gets a lot better. The atmosphere with the haze on the ground, the slightly disturbing music and the sound of your steps as you're walking down a narrow cave work just as well as they did in the beginning of the game. It's a nice way to wrap things up.

The Ganondorf fight was, similarly to the other bosses in the game, better than its BotW counterpart, but not at the level of the highest points from previous Zelda games. The dragon fight after it was visually impressive, and an interesting spin on the tradition of getting Zelda to assist you in your final fight with Ganon.

The fight itself was slightly disappointing, with the bunch of blobs you needed to hit on the dragon's back. I couldn't help thinking back to Twilight Princess and the Lakebed Temple boss, and how impactful it is to clawshot to its head and thrust your sword directly to its eye. I wish something like that could have been achieved here. The dragon's explosion followed by the Destroy Ganondorf quest being marked complete felt good nonetheless.

After that there was just a bunch of happily ever after stuff I could have lived without. If Zelda had stayed as dragon, for example, there would have been a sad undertone that could have been genuinely interesting.

Anyway, one of the best games of all time, I hope I don't have to wait six years for something else this good.

All shrines are complete! Now I can give the game a good rest and go back to FF16.

Ancient Hero Aspect is interesting. I did go back to Impa and she did comment on the look and how he "almost look like the figure depicted on the screen". So that's a soft confirmation then.

Uhhh I need more info about what looks like endgame content I found randomly

So I was wandering around the Depths and found where the game started out/where Ganondorf used to be sealed. I jumped further down and there's a massive cutscene with me and the new sages fighing against his army. I ended up losing since I hadn't cooked many Sundelion recovery meals. Is this the final boss area?? I don't want to finish the game yet, I haven't done Mineru's thing.

Uhhh I need more info about what looks like endgame content I found randomly

So I was wandering around the Depths and found where the game started out/where Ganondorf used to be sealed. I jumped further down and there's a massive cutscene with me and the new sages fighing against his army. I ended up losing since I hadn't cooked many Sundelion recovery meals. Is this the final boss area?? I don't want to finish the game yet, I haven't done Mineru's thing.
You are correct, that's the final boss zone

I'm 190 hours in and just had an absolutely amazing half hour in one of the later-game main objectives.

Everything from landing on Dragonhead Island to reaching the Construct Factory. So cool. Loved it. And I haven't even done the factory yet. They nailed the sense of intrigue. Having this bit after the 4 regional phenomena is a really nice surprise.

Right now, while having one main story quest left, it feels like the best order would be the four regional phenomena, then
Hyrule Castle, then the Dragon's tears, then the Thunderhead Isles, Construct Factory, and Spirit Temple, then Korok Forest/locating the Master Sword, then Destroy Ganondorf

But it's interesting, because the memories and the
Spirit Temple
kinda feel like they contradict each other. Doing the memories first reveals
Zelda's sacrifice by turning into the Light Dragon and basically the location of the Master Sword if you're paying attention
yet there's a whole section of the Master Sword quest that should theoretically take place at
The Great Deku Tree in Korok Forest since he pinpoints the moving map marker for the Master Sword
. Plus, in the
Spirit Temple, Mineru's flashbacks with Zelda cover the whole Light Dragon draconification and her sacrifice
, So, all in all, I'm super intrigued to see what all of you consider the IDEAL way to experience these events in the proper, "intended" order.

I think people are getting a little hung up on revelations, Zelda twists are always either that Ganondorf is a bad guy or that some mysterious person or creature is actually royalty, but I guess if you wanted to preserve that sense of plot revelations you could do the first six Dragon Tears at any time(since it reveals that Zelda went back in time but doesn't tell us what happened to her in the present), do Hyrule Castle and learn what the modern Zelda really is(even though I don't think it was ever really in doubt that this wasn't the real Zelda), then do Dragon Tears 7-10 before the Spirit Temple, learn what Zelda was planning to do from Mineru, do the Great Deku Tree quest, and then watch the rest of the Dragon Tear memories to actually witness Zelda's post-Imprisoning War actions. That strikes me as the optimal way of tying the exposition side of the plot together.

The area before it is somewhat uninteresting, and just throwing random basic enemies at you feels a bit pointless. After things quiet down and you are just descending towards Ganondorf, it gets a lot better. The atmosphere with the haze on the ground, the slightly disturbing music and the sound of your steps as you're walking down a narrow cave work just as well as they did in the beginning of the game. It's a nice way to wrap things up.

The Ganondorf fight was, similarly to the other bosses in the game, better than its BotW counterpart, but not at the level of the highest points from previous Zelda games. The dragon fight after it was visually impressive, and an interesting spin on the tradition of getting Zelda to assist you in your final fight with Ganon.

The fight itself was slightly disappointing, with the bunch of blobs you needed to hit on the dragon's back. I couldn't help thinking back to Twilight Princess and the Lakebed Temple boss, and how impactful it is to clawshot to its head and thrust your sword directly to its eye. I wish something like that could have been achieved here. The dragon's explosion followed by the Destroy Ganondorf quest being marked complete felt good nonetheless.

After that there was just a bunch of happily ever after stuff I could have lived without. If Zelda had stayed as dragon, for example, there would have been a sad undertone that could have been genuinely interesting.

Anyway, one of the best games of all time, I hope I don't have to wait six years for something else this good.

Oh man, I disagree on the final boss. I thought it was probably the coolest Ganon/dorf fight we've had in the series. I mean, atmospherically they always do a great job with him, but gameplay-wise this was the most complete fight with him we've ever had, he used almost all of his major tricks from across nearly forty years of games and many of the Ganondorf leitmotifs from over the years made an appearance too. Usually with Ganon and his phantoms we either get magic volleyball or a pure melee fight, but this time both his status as a warrior and a sorceror are really on display. He uses four different weapon types, he's shooting demon magic in the more classic Agahnim-style and as arrows, he's creating gloom shockwaves, conjuring phantoms, he can perfect dodge. Again, from an atmosphere standpoint I pretty much like every Ganondorf fight, but gameplay-wise I think this is like a distillation of everything he is as a boss. Plus there's great moments where the gameplay converges with the story in ways it rarely has before, like that moment where his health bar goes past the usual range or having the Sages actually fight alongside you, instead of just "lending their power" in a more vague way like they have in previous games.

I agree about it being one of the best games of all time, though.

Out of curiosity, when would you recommend viewing the final memory? I triggered it but haven't actually watched it yet. For context, I've not collected the Master Sword yet either but I have done all 4 regions and just got to the Construct Factory in the 5th sage quest.

As non-spoilery a reply as possible please! Looking forward to going back and reading everyone's thoughts when I'm finally done with the game

Out of curiosity, when would you recommend viewing the final memory? I triggered it but haven't actually watched it yet. For context, I've not collected the Master Sword yet either but I have done all 4 regions and just got to the Construct Factory in the 5th sage quest.

As non-spoilery a reply as possible please! Looking forward to going back and reading everyone's thoughts when I'm finally done with the game
When you say the final memory, are you referring to the Master Sword geoglyph? If so, I would actually go view it now before starting the Construct Factory. But truly, you can't really go wrong either way. I just think there's a moment in the memory that plays best with no outside knowledge from other quests like the Mineru quest.

Back
Top Bottom