• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

For a long time I've felt that something about the camera in Totk/botw wasn't working for me. So I started just running around really paying attention to the camera. I've noticed that there's an over-reliance on the player manually adjusting the camera. There's very little automation going on. Of course you want to give the player a lot of camera control in a game like this, but that shouldn't mean the player needs to constantly manage it.

In Wind Waker and Twilight princess for example, when you turn past a certain point, the camera turns in that direction. Now, totk does do this after you reset the camera with target lock, but it's so incredibly minor it's almost non-existent.

And when I noticed the functionality existed already, I knew I could mod it. So I poked around the camera values until I figured out how to make the camera more automatic like previous games. And this is what I was able to come up with:

I seriously don't think I can go back to playing it without the mod. It's feels so much more fluid to play, not having to constantly keep my thumb on the camera while simply walking around. I really recommend checking it out if you're able to load mods: https://gamebanana.com/mods/456582

Just beat the game half an hour ago. The final stretch features some of the greatest music I've ever heard in my entire life. That's a wrap on one of the best games I've ever played - absolutely a step up over BOTW for me with superior dungeons, exploration, bosses, structure, narrative, and unquestionably a greater finale by a long shot. Only significant gripes were performance issues and too many Rauru's blessing shrines.

When I think about it... I love TotK more than BotW, it's even closer to perfect for me than BotW was, and even then I still think TotK has a lot of room for improvement. The next 3D Zelda might actually kill me.

for all of you that were around here or other places when BotW arrived - do you remember if dataminers found info pointing to DLC? I know by the time the game was released the expansion pack was already released, but I'm curious to know if they were signs nonetheless. It really feels weird that no one has found anything at all regarding TotK, but maybe it's their usual proceedings?

I love the Fire Temple so much! I know many don’t, but I have a soft spot for labyrinthine dungeons like that, where you truly have to wrap your head around the layout, which makes the experience so engaging and fun.

That being said, cheesing it with hover blocks and ascend is even more fun, haha.

Just beat the game half an hour ago. The final stretch features some of the greatest music I've ever heard in my entire life. That's a wrap on one of the best games I've ever played - absolutely a step up over BOTW for me with superior dungeons, exploration, bosses, structure, narrative, and unquestionably a greater finale by a long shot. Only significant gripes were performance issues and too many Rauru's blessing shrines.

Congrats on finishing!

The content packed in this games is something unbelievable

105 hours so far

I have to go to the castle but I think I will spend more time doing other stuff

I love the Fire Temple so much! I know many don’t, but I have a soft spot for labyrinthine dungeons like that, where you truly have to wrap your head around the layout, which makes the experience so engaging and fun.

I love the concept, traversing via rail systems. But in practice there was too much having to mess with the carts. They fall off too easily, so you're putting them on the track constantly, and just ended up being too cumbersome. I still had fun, but it could have been a lot better.

Last edited:
For a long time I've felt that something about the camera in Totk/botw wasn't working for me. So I started just running around really paying attention to the camera. I've noticed that there's an over-reliance on the player manually adjusting the camera. There's very little automation going on. Of course you want to give the player a lot of camera control in a game like this, but that shouldn't mean the player needs to constantly manage it.

In Wind Waker and Twilight princess for example, when you turn past a certain point, the camera turns in that direction. Now, totk does do this after you reset the camera with target lock, but it's so incredibly minor it's almost non-existent.

And when I noticed the functionality existed already, I knew I could mod it. So I poked around the camera values until I figured out how to make the camera more automatic like previous games. And this is what I was able to come up with:

I seriously don't think I can go back to playing it without the mod. It's feels so much more fluid to play, not having to constantly keep my thumb on the camera while simply walking around. I really recommend checking it out if you're able to load mods: https://gamebanana.com/mods/456582

So with this mod, what would happen if you stopped, manually moved the camera to a crazy angle (in order to keep an eye on something specific maybe), and then started moving again? Would the camera snap back to behind the back? Because if so that doesn't sound great if you want to continue looking at something you manually targetted, and probably the reason why Nintendo went all in on the manual camera.

So with this mod, what would happen if you stopped, manually moved the camera to a crazy angle (in order to keep an eye on something specific maybe), and then started moving again? Would the camera snap back to behind the back? Because if so that doesn't sound great if you want to continue looking at something you manually targetted, and probably the reason why Nintendo went all in on the manual camera.

Lil Gator games gives the player the option to adjust manual camera smoothness. It's a good solution I think. It's still fully manual but it gives shaves the edges of the chopiness of Breathears of the Wildom camera.
Wish Btowk had that.

No, it doesn't work like that at all. The auto camera is only active after you reset the camera. If you move the camera manually, it stays in that position. Exactly how WW and TP's cameras work, in that regard.

Like I said, Totk technically has the same camera system as those games, it's just that the auto camera barely moves at all. I just increased how much the auto camera turns when you turn.

Last edited:
I uh... Found the shield surfing tutorial message almost 200 hours into the game. I'm actually amazed and feel really proud about it because why not!

I'm actually surprised I had skipped the house with the quest which triggered the tutorial message, to be honest. I felt so good after that though lol.

Now the quest to find all the wells and caves in the game can continue. I'm also up to 456 Koroks, which I think is a really solid number.

No, it doesn't work like that at all. The auto camera is only active after you reset the camera. If you move the camera manually, it stays in that position. Exactly how WW and TP's cameras work, in that regard.

Like I said, Totk technically has the same camera system as those games, it's just that the auto camera barely moves at all. I just increased how much the auto camera turns when you turn.

Ah sorry misunderstood. Well in that case, your way is definitely better!

That being said, cheesing it with hover blocks and ascend is even more fun, haha.

Congrats on finishing!
It’s jawdropping imo. It’s the closest thing in both games to an open air dungeon. So many different potential approaches and even if you cheese it, you still have to at least have wrapped your head around it somewhat.

Lightning Temple is probably my favorite dungeon, but Fire is most impressive imo.

It’s jawdropping imo. It’s the closest thing in both games to an open air dungeon. So many different potential approaches and even if you cheese it, you still have to at least have wrapped your head around it somewhat.

Lightning Temple is probably my favorite dungeon, but Fire is most impressive imo.
Just finished lightning temple. It was awesome and probably my fave as well although fire temple is not far behind.
So fire and lightning were the best temples, but the wind temple had the best "approach". So epic when the string instruments start to kick in.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKING FUCK!!!
Developers shouldn't be able to create games as good as this one. It's really out of this world.
Finished the game now with probably over 170 hours in, after a while I was just going for side quests because I didn't want to finish the game and stop playing. Insanely good ending for an incredible game, I could nitpick a ton of things I didn't like and I still don't know if I prefer this or botw but right now I'm running high on the incredible ending so I don't want to think about anything else.
What a game. I'm watching the credits right now and I just can't handle it, I finally understood the main point of the entire game and it's wonderful.

Last edited:
210h. Almost ready to finish. I’m having the same feeling when I played RE4 in 2004. It feels like i’m playing something from the future. Congratulations to Nintendo. This one is really special.

Finally finished. I know, it’s been a while. Another 11/10 game, and probably in my top 5 games of all time.

Just finished lightning temple. It was awesome and probably my fave as well although fire temple is not far behind.

That place made me nostalgic. So nice to solve those kinds of puzzles in that kind of environment again, after so long ago. Major Spirit Temple/Arbiter’s Grounds vibes.

Finally finished. The last boss is amazing. The Oppenheimer scene is great too.

Missed 3 shrines. I know where 2 are, but I actually want to experience everything again.

Yup, best Zelda game by a long margin. I feel sad for finishing this, but I’m actually ready to play it again? That’s so strange.

Can I keep my save while creating a new one or should I just use my wife’s account and play it again? She only plays Animal Crossing so I think I’m gonna do it.

My teenage cousin just got a Switch and I’ve shared my account with her. Replayed the first 3 hours of the game with her, I had forgotten so much stuff about the beginning. I am now 99% sure TOTK is the greatest single player game ever made.

I'm sure that many people in the thread have already praised the music, bud goddamnit, it needs to be done again.

During my first playthrough, I was busy with the action during the final acts of the game, but now that I've experienced it once before, I could truly appreciate the finer details, and DAMN the music in all of the last moments of the game is so incredibly, fantastically done and applied. Everything in every scene clicks perfectly with what's going on, and the ebbs and flows that the compositions take you through as you go through the final area, the final boss, the ending.. just a consistent array of goosebumps.

Mad props to Manaka Kataoka and her team, just marvelous stuff all around.

Man, I'm sad that I finished the game. A weekend chock-full of SMB games for the badge challenge has been really fun, and I have Pikmin 4 as soon as I'm satisfied with my badge progress, but damn, it almost hurts knowing that I can never experience TotK for the first time again.

Man, I'm sad that I finished the game. A weekend chock-full of SMB games for the badge challenge has been really fun, and I have Pikmin 4 as soon as I'm satisfied with my badge progress, but damn, it almost hurts knowing that I can never experience TotK for the first time again.
I agree, I already have pikmin 4 ready to play but I just can't, I want to replay TotK already even after beating it. Right now I'm trying to beat both botw and then TotK by going straight to ganon, to experience the games in 2 different ways.

I understand what you mean, but I think that waiting a few months and then commit to a second playthrough (As I recently did) feels almost as magical. Like, it's a different experience, but in a way it can be a different experience that at times outdoes the first one.

Speaking for myself here, when I experience a game for the very first time, I'm absorbed by it, but it makes me process all the fresh impressions so much that the finer details sort of slip by. Playing it a second time doesn't have that initial spark, but on the other hand, it allows me to catch up on some incredible, subtle details that I previously missed.

It depends of course, from person to person. But that was my personal experience, at least.

Did the Master Sword stuff last night.

I thought it was pretty cool that you had to access Korok Forest from the Depths, finally gave those towers that connect Depths to the surface a proper usage. Finding the dragon to remove the Master Sword was a pretty neat moment as well, though I'd have liked it more if I hadn't been wearing the full Gliding armor to land atop of the dragon...

My only disappointment with this whole section was the "boss" inside the Deku Tree. This is yet another instance of the game needing more enemy variety. An unique boss here would've made it a standout moment. Like, imagine if instead of the Gloom Hands you battled like a gloomy version of Gohma from Ocarina of Time, it'd have been amazing... Gloom Hands were particularly disappointing since you already get attacked by them when you enter the Korok Grove in the Depths so I ended up battling 2 Hands/Phantom Ganon in what felt like 15 minutes.
that was either the 1st time or 2nd time I fought that enemy so it was pretty special then... but yeah on initial playthroughs it's meh

Did the Master Sword stuff last night.

I thought it was pretty cool that you had to access Korok Forest from the Depths, finally gave those towers that connect Depths to the surface a proper usage. Finding the dragon to remove the Master Sword was a pretty neat moment as well, though I'd have liked it more if I hadn't been wearing the full Gliding armor to land atop of the dragon...

My only disappointment with this whole section was the "boss" inside the Deku Tree. This is yet another instance of the game needing more enemy variety. An unique boss here would've made it a standout moment. Like, imagine if instead of the Gloom Hands you battled like a gloomy version of Gohma from Ocarina of Time, it'd have been amazing... Gloom Hands were particularly disappointing since you already get attacked by them when you enter the Korok Grove in the Depths so I ended up battling 2 Hands/Phantom Ganon in what felt like 15 minutes.
Tbh that section could’ve justified a whole dungeon and unique boss, in terms of story importance. It was a cool moment but it could’ve been even cooler.

Do you guys also have difficult on concentrating at BOTW/TOTK text? For some reason it's difficult for me to engaged to the dialogues.

Not sure if it's the writing, text box, animation, font, amount of text per box, lack of sound effect. But for some reason it's much easier for me to pay attention in, for example, Twilight Princess text.

I mean the ordinary stuff, when you are talking with some NPC. Not the cutscene ones.

Tbh that section could’ve justified a whole dungeon and unique boss, in terms of story importance. It was a cool moment but it could’ve been even cooler.
Tbh that moment really pissed me off, it was the perfect opportunity for a dungeon or even a mini dungeon and instead just a generic overworld boss.

Do you guys also have difficult on concentrating at BOTW/TOTK text? For some reason it's difficult for me to engaged to the dialogues.

Not sure if it's the writing, text box, animation, font, amount of text per box, lack of sound effect. But for some reason it's much easier for me to pay attention in, for example, Twilight Princess text.

I mean the ordinary stuff, when you are talking with some NPC. Not the cutscene ones.
Makes sense to me. They're very small and a step back in flavor from the past few games, making them much less attention-grabbing. The effect is noticeable even in screenshots. Even the similarly simplistic N64 text boxes are much larger on the screen than these.

conversation-1.jpg

gz2e01-11_orig.png

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f33335037396c782e706e67

0652.jpg

resizedimage640360-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time-screenshot-1.png

Actually looking at these side by side, I really love the look of Wind Waker's. It strikes this nice balance of ideal readability while still having a bit of personality. The glowy text of the next two games looks worse in stills than it does in motion, but it still doesn't have the same clarity.

(Also Skyward Sword having the A button prompt instead of a centered arrow or swirl feels like a crime.)

Finally beat the game.

Holy moly what a finale; an amazing ending to an amazing game.

It's really hard to sum up the experience as a whole, as it's such a massive, complex, and multifaceted game. On paper, it should collapse under the weight of its own ambition, yet somehow it comes together into something even more than the sum of its parts. It's not a perfect game, but its so creative, cohesive, organic and elegant that any problems I have with it pale in comparison.

If BOTW was a game about discovery, then TOTK is a game about togetherness; Hyrule is no longer a wilderness, but a community, and where the last game was a quest to reclaim what was lost, this one is about people pulling together to protect what they've rebuilt.

A monumental achievement in game design, and quite possibly the crown jewel of the Switch's already gem-studded library.

just found the master sword by accident i was
in the forgery island and saw a dragon, jumped to shoot an arrow like always and somehow found it,i only did 2 phenomenas, did the game at any point in the story direct you or is always pure luck ??

just found the master sword by accident i was
in the forgery island and saw a dragon, jumped to shoot an arrow like always and somehow found it,i only did 2 phenomenas, did the game at any point in the story direct you or is always pure luck ??
If you go to Korok Forest before obtaining the sword, you'll get a lead on the Master Sword's location. Finishing the Geoglyphs quest will also point you towards where the Master Sword is.

Stasis: "I am an incredibly intricate, innovative and multi-layered game mechanic that can be bent and broken by the player's ability to experiment to such extremes that it will perform acts so amazing that it will make you positively speechless."

Recall: "Hold my beer."

I’m refusing to finish the game as I just don’t want it to end. I think I might wait until my birthday at the end of August to fight the final boss tbh.

I’m on 136 shrines and have done all 120 lightroots. Going to finish off the shrines and the final side quests in the run up to months end.

Got to admit though, some of those shrines that are in caves are an absolute ball ache to find.

I’m refusing to finish the game as I just don’t want it to end. I think I might wait until my birthday at the end of August to fight the final boss tbh.

I’m on 136 shrines and have done all 120 lightroots. Going to finish off the shrines and the final side quests in the run up to months end.

Got to admit though, some of those shrines that are in caves are an absolute ball ache to find.
me too, but, i will only feel satified to finish Tears of the Kingdom, ounce i found all the 47 wells, 120 lighroot(80 i have) and the 147 Bubbul Gems, and then i save Hyrule for Ganondorf

Question for those who aren't in the pink glasses 10/10 gang:

Is it worth playing the story until the end? I remember Gene in the "punching up" nintendo podcast saying that the ending is amazing. Im not really compelled to finish the game after 3rd temple and I dont know if its worth investing more time or just sell the game.

Question for those who aren't in the pink glasses 10/10 gang:

Is it worth playing the story until the end? I remember Gene in the "punching up" nintendo podcast saying that the ending is amazing. Im not really compelled to finish the game after 3rd temple and I dont know if its worth investing more time or just sell the game.
finish the game after you got all the Dragon Tears and the Master Sword, it will help give a context why the ending of this game is so good

It is my favorite video game yet.

However, since there's no such thing as a "perfect video game" I think I'm gonna mention some of my nit-picks. One of which is
the lack of a crosshair when boarding Mineru's Construct

Wrapped up this game this past weekend

Still not really sure how I feel about it. Like, it's a masterpiece for sure but I'm not sure it surpasses or matches BoTW for me. I think overall I'm pretty down on the decision to reuse so much of BoTW here, which is funny since I didn't really mind the idea before release. But it's still a brilliant game and easily my GoTY frontrunner (granted I've played like, 5 games so far this year)

Back
Top Bottom