• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I didn’t really check out it the available weapons in the game. Was there any news weapons types that don’t use the same three skeletons as BOTW?

Like one handed, spear/pole and two hand?

Man this game has amazing things but right now I'm so baffled by
the lack of new towns (except one, at least for now) and the sky being much more limited than we expected. I love the underground concept and I will enjoy it a lot, but since 2021, I've been thinking about the endless possibilities with the sky because that's what Nintendo was selling us...But I will wait to play the game before making any definitive statement, of course.

Last edited:
I think playable Zelda has a real good shot at being the big DLC feat. And I'm really hoping that's the case, the DLC teaser revealing it alone would hype the hell out of me.

Someone on Era just posted a pic of Kass, who looks completely different and now goes by a different name? What the heck?

From what we know now about the gameplay loop, I’d say TOTK is actually a pretty risky game.

We could’ve gotten a brand new world with a similar loop to BotW. Something outside of Hyrule with new species and locations wouldve been cool and fresh for sure

But now through the three layers we essentially have
  • The weird, more self contained sky islands
  • a world we’ve explored, but in a new context which makes exploring it feel more “what’s over here” to “what’s changed over here”
  • the depths which are a new map, but with a different gameplay loop and purpose than the overworld

And of course the overall seamlessness between them creating an unprecedented verticality.

In many ways I think this is much more interesting than creating a brand new world with the dressing of new NPC types and villages, but with the same gameplay loop as BotW. I’m sure some will disagree, but I’m starting to feel like TOTK isn’t actually that “safe” of a sequel design-wise.

From what we know now about the gameplay loop, I’d say TOTK is actually a pretty risky game.

We could’ve gotten a brand new world with a similar loop to BotW. Something outside of Hyrule with new species and locations wouldve been cool and fresh for sure

But now through the three layers we essentially have
  • The weird, more self contained sky islands
  • a world we’ve explored, but in a new context which makes exploring it feel more “what’s over here” to “what’s changed over here”
  • the depths which are a new map, but with a different gameplay loop and purpose than the overworld

And of course the overall seamlessness between them creating an unprecedented verticality.

In many ways I think this is much more interesting than creating a brand new world with the dressing of new NPC types and villages, but with the same gameplay loop as BotW. I’m sure some will disagree, but I’m starting to feel like TOTK isn’t actually that “safe” of a sequel design-wise.
It's a full-priced sequel to one of the most successful games ever and too similar in the literal sense while being to different conceptually. A lot of the complaints pre-release from people that loved BotW are that TotK doesn't do what they loved about its prequel. Whether it's good is still up in the air until we actually get our hands on it but it's the exact opposite of "safe".

Why am I reading so much negativity on the ERA thread? A lot of people are saying that the sky is super empty and a ton of cut and paste islands
It's really just a handful of people (like, 2-3 individuals in that thread) that have some criticisms of the game (I wouldn't even say they're negative overall, just not gelling with certain aspects of the title but generally still enjoy the game).

It's really just a handful of people (like, 2-3 individuals in that thread) that have some criticisms of the game (I wouldn't even say they're negative overall, just not gelling with certain aspects of the title but generally still enjoy the game).
Some criticisms do not make sense. For example, the one about the shrines

Why am I reading so much negativity on the ERA thread? A lot of people are saying that the sky is super empty and a ton of cut and paste islands

People are playing emulator versions that have broken underworld glitches, which totally hobbles the entire gameplay loop of that and the sky islands.

The sky is empty because it is the Great Sea equivalent. The navigation of the skies and the core gameplay loop are dependent on doing all of the related gameplay systems that you can't really do if an emulator totally breaks the game.

Navigating the regular overworld also sucks ass if you don't have any of the things the glitched areas would be giving the players.

The other day I read that there were 300. Today I read that there are 1200. Does anyone know how many Kolok seeds are in the game?

There is no way that first number is right due to being able to get more than one at a time.

People are playing emulator versions that have broken underworld glitches, which totally hobbles the entire gameplay loop of that and the sky islands.

The sky is empty because it is the Great Sea equivalent. The navigation of the skies and the core gameplay loop are dependent on doing all of the related gameplay systems that you can't really do if an emulator totally breaks the game.
then that's their own fault, not the game's

The one criticism of shrines I’m disappointed they didn’t fix is the aesthetic variety or lack thereof

However if the dungeons and pre dungeon areas make up for it I’ll be more than fine with that.
The criticisms were for too many shrines and their uselessness as a teleportation point o_O

The one criticism of shrines I’m disappointed they didn’t fix is the aesthetic variety or lack thereof

However if the dungeons and pre dungeon areas make up for it I’ll be more than fine with that.

IMO, the underworld intentionally avoids shrines by doing something really nifty, which is going to be the main counterpoint. IMO this is probably a more substantial spoiler so y'all are warned.

Very large multipart side quests that give full heart containers. Not pieces! Straight to a full heart! Like a facility with major things in four directions and each has either a focus on a different vehicle component or different facility with puzzles that are like real world applications of the shrine demos. So they are enclosed spaces that make you do puzzles or shit that you can't just fly over, but aren't technically shrines.

It is a really clever mapping of BotW structural ideas to traditional Zelda side quests that is a super cool way of upending the formula and feeling different.

Last edited:
I gotta say I'm really, really disappointed with the dungeons. I've seen the Rito and Gerudo Temples and, while they're a bit better than the Divine Beasts, they're still short and shallow compared to every other game. My biggest hope for TOTK was traditional, meaty dungeons, so this is disappointing. I don't get why they doubled down on BOTW's design.

Can only hope the game pulls a ALTTP/OOT setup with there being more substantial dungeons after the few round, but I'm doubtful.

Last edited:

Yeah, since the Zonai represent the three aspects of the Tri Force using animals and since we saw two different chests in the artbook (a white one looking like an owl and a dark green one) I just assumed that the shrines would also use this kind of imagery and have different colour schemes and decoration based on the challenges.

I read that Tears of the Kingdom is a lot harder than its predecessor. To what extent is that true?

I do hope it is not as difficult as Elden Ring. I was never able to finish that game. I'm not exactly a hardcore gamer and was stuck in the Raya Lucario Academy.

I read that Tears of the Kingdom is a lot harder than its predecessor. To what extent is that true?

I do hope it is not as difficult as Elden Ring. I was never able to finish that game. I'm not exactly a hardcore gamer and was stuck in the Raya Lucario Academy.
I don’t think modern Nintendo would ever make a game as difficult as Elden Ring, as least in terms of completing the main story. They know that their audience skews younger than From’s.

I gotta say I'm really, really disappointed with the dungeons. I've seen the Rito and Gerudo Temples and, while they're a bit better than the Divine Beasts, they're still short and shallow compared to every other game. My biggest hope for TOTK was traditional, meaty dungeons, so this is disappointing. I don't get why they doubled down on BOTW's design.

Can only hope the game pulls a ALTTP/OOT setup with there being more substantial dungeons after the few round, but I'm doubtful.
Unfortunately, with the open world formula, I don't think we will see traditional dungeons anymore.

Last edited:

With much respect friend, the dungeon experience also includes the long lead-ups that are all quite varied and non-trivial. Some have you doing extensive platforming ala Super Mario 64 bowser levels, and others have you solving visual/navigation puzzles. I think it's a matter of changing perspective and redefining what a 'modern' dungeon looks like. Granted the game engine is based on physics wackyness with a few fixed abilities, the reason they doubled down on BotW's design is fairly clear (but it's totally fine if new Zelda isn't for you). You might need to hang out for the next 2D Zelda, as I don't see 3D Zelda regressing to formulaic dungeons

The open world still defangs the concept of difficulty spikes, but the world being so much larger means there is a lot of room to find hard fights if you want.

If you want it to be easier, you can pretty much avoid combat until you have multiple armor upgrades.

The increased enemy variety means that there's more interspersed higher tier enemies that could just fuck you up if you're not careful.

With much respect friend, the dungeon experience also includes the long lead-ups that are all quite varied and non-trivial. Some have you doing extensive platforming ala Super Mario 64 bowser levels, and others have you solving visual/navigation puzzles. I think it's a matter of changing perspective and redefining what a 'modern' dungeon looks like. Granted the game engine is based on physics wackyness with a few fixed abilities, the reason they doubled down on BotW's design is fairly clear (but it's totally fine if new Zelda isn't for you). You might need to hang out for the next 2D Zelda, as I don't see 3D Zelda regressing to formulaic dungeons
The lead-up sequences have been a great addition since BOTW. But I don't see why their existence, and the addition of universal abilities unlocked from the start. precludes good dungeon design. The level design of the new dungeons is simply shallow compared to past games.

I understand there's new design considerations with not having traditional upgrades and the climbing/gliding systems. But ALBW already proved you can have good traditional dungeons with all the abilities unlocked from the start. Paragliding trivializing traversal is a non-issue if you have indoor dungeons, which 95% of past ones have been. And climbing around everything can be contained with careful design, the shrines already do this.

This isn't "new Zelda", these are just lackluster dungeons.

Unfortunately, with the open world formula, I don't think we will see traditional dungeons anymore.
Zelda 1 was open world and had good dungeons. As much as BOTW was inspired by it I don't get why they didn't follow it's dungeon structure more closely. If you don't want players stumbling upon a super hard Level 7 near the start, just scale the enemies levels. They already did with overworld enemies in BOTW.

Found these unboxing videos.

Unboxing Video of the Pro Controller

Unboxing Video of the Collector's Edition

No artbook shown, only the (art poster, steel case, front and back cover of the artbook and the game case)

Some preorder bonus unboxing
(The luggage tag, the art print, the notebook and others)

Part 2 shows the Coin preorder bonus

This is a massive one for lore enthusiasts:

IMG_8436.jpg

Really hope you don't have to collect every figure for 100% like certain past games, lol.

IMG_8436.jpg

Really hope you don't have to collect every figure for 100% like certain past games, lol.

Ooh that side quest seems pretty fun

IMG_8436.jpg

this game really is a Fujibayashi best of lol

edit: oh wait, it sounds like the stuff in spoiler 2 works differently from what I expected

Last edited:
FYI prob safer to user the Q+A thread for questions like these, just so you don't see anything you wouldn't want to!
Thanks! Just found it earlier. That is probably safer. Hyah's away from the thread

I only put around 100 hours in BOTW (I say only, that’s a lot of time for me to dedicate to one game. I know most Zelda fans got a good few hundred hours out of it) so I wonder if that’s a good thing for me in terms of the standard overworld of Hyrule in this? I could imagine it won’t feel as familiar as some people have made out it can feel coming off BOTW.

Holy shit we might finally know who was the ancient hero in Botw mural!!

[

i mean i dont really see how it gives us anymore information. It will probably still be unknown. But it does look amazing and is probably the coolest looking armor ive seen in a zelda

IMG_8436.jpg

Very cool. After 2-3 days of nothing new, I was very pleased to see that.

Very little left to know I guess, looking forward to see what last surprises are left for the game.

Apparently, if you complete all shrines you’ll receive the Ancient Hero’s Aspect armor (ResetEra, Page 137). It’s safe to say this is the Hero from BOTW tapestry.

So, what happened?
Zelda went back 10,000 years in the past, told King Rauru and Queen Sonia about Link (as we can see in one cutscene) defeating the Calamity (an emanation of Ganondorf’s corpse under Hyrule Castle) with her. In Ganondorf’s Character Sheet we can read his seal was weakened by the Calamity damaging the Castle in BOTW. Also, Gloom is basically Malice at its purest and in The Depths we have relics from the Age of Legends (aka the others LoZ games/timelines).

So, for 10,000 years Zonai people passed on this “legend from the future” and we got the tapestry. So, basically, the Ancient Hero appearance is how Zonai imagined Link from BOWT/TOTK to look like, since they never really saw him. It’s Link from a Zonai point fo view.

I think it’s pretty neat the game rewards you with this final puzzle piece to the lore. It’s pretty sick.
Some Back to the Future shenanigans. Also, that the two games go full-circle, like the logo of the game, the ouroboros.

Do we have some teases about reviewers of the game?

I'm really curious about the actual score, BOTW seems unlikely, sure some reviewers will adress performance issues or lack of Switch power.

Apparently, if you complete all shrines you’ll receive the Ancient Hero’s Aspect armor (ResetEra, Page 137). It’s safe to say this is the Hero from BOTW tapestry.

So, what happened?
Zelda went back 10,000 years in the past, told King Rauru and Queen Sonia about Link (as we can see in one cutscene) defeating the Calamity (an emanation of Ganondorf’s corpse under Hyrule Castle) with her. In Ganondorf’s Character Sheet we can read his seal was weakened by the Calamity damaging the Castle in BOTW. Also, Gloom is basically Malice at its purest and in The Depths we have relics from the Age of Legends (aka the others LoZ games/timelines).

So, for 10,000 years Zonai people passed on this “legend from the future” and we got the tapestry. So, basically, the Ancient Hero appearance is how Zonai imagined Link from BOWT/TOTK to look like, since they never really saw him. It’s Link from a Zonai point fo view.

I think it’s pretty neat the game rewards you with this final puzzle piece to the lore. It’s pretty sick.
Some Back to the Future shenanigans. Also, that the two games go full-circle, like the logo of the game, the ouroboros.

I think Zelda goes back far more than 10.000 years. Rauru is the first king of Hyrule and there is no sign of the Sheikah.

So it goes:

Rauru's era -- undefined amount of time --> First Calamity incident with Ancient Hero -- 10.000 years --> BOTW/TOTK

The costume implies that the incarnation of Ancient Hero incarnation of Link was a Zonai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom