• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, if you complete all shrines you’ll receive the Ancient Hero’s Aspect armor (ResetEra, Page 137). It’s safe to say this is the Hero from BOTW tapestry.

So, what happened?
Zelda went back 10,000 years in the past, told King Rauru and Queen Sonia about Link (as we can see in one cutscene) defeating the Calamity (an emanation of Ganondorf’s corpse under Hyrule Castle) with her. In Ganondorf’s Character Sheet we can read his seal was weakened by the Calamity damaging the Castle in BOTW. Also, Gloom is basically Malice at its purest and in The Depths we have relics from the Age of Legends (aka the others LoZ games/timelines).

So, for 10,000 years Zonai people passed on this “legend from the future” and we got the tapestry. So, basically, the Ancient Hero appearance is how Zonai imagined Link from BOWT/TOTK to look like, since they never really saw him. It’s Link from a Zonai point fo view.

I think it’s pretty neat the game rewards you with this final puzzle piece to the lore. It’s pretty sick.
Some Back to the Future shenanigans. Also, that the two games go full-circle, like the logo of the game, the ouroboros.

Jesus fuck, that's a doozy of a spoiler for lore nerds.

but nah, I think it's meant to be an actual hero. We know that battle had to have happened, because the Divine Beasts and Guardians exist. They were made for that battle.

The ancient hero being a Zonai is quite a twist! Honestly, I take it as further proof of my "reboot" theory, if only because it really feels to me like BotW Link is neant to be the first and only Link in this version of Hyrule. The other heroes of Calamities past seem to be separate characters.

Jesus fuck, that's a doozy of a spoiler for lore nerds.

but nah, I think it's meant to be an actual hero. We know that battle had to have happened, because the Divine Beasts and Guardians exist. They were made for that battle.

The ancient hero being a Zonai is quite a twist! Honestly, I take it as further proof of my "reboot" theory, if only because it really feels to me like BotW Link is neant to be the first and only Link in this version of Hyrule. The other heroes of Calamities past seem to be separate characters.
There was no Master Sword yet in Zonai Era.
Read this:

Man, this game is huge.

5 Dungeons -- CONFIRMED

12 Labyrinths

15 Lookout Towers -- CONFIRMED

18 Memories -- CONFIRMED

20 Sage’s Will -- CONFIRMED

21 Battery Upgrades (Purchasable) -- CONFIRMED

52 Parasail Designs -- CONFIRMED

58 Wells (Marked on map) -- CONFIRMED

120 Lightroots -- CONFIRMED

152 Shrines -- CONFIRMED

228 Recipes -- CONFIRMED

230 Quests (Side/Adventures/Shrines) -- CONFIRMED

509 Hyrule Compendium Entries -- CONFIRMED

110 Figures (1 of each monster)

141 Armour Pieces (+ 18 duplicates?)

396?? Caves (Marked on map)

?? Autobuild Schema/Schematic

?? Bubbul Gems

?? World Mini-bosses (Talus/Gleeok/Frox/Hinox/Constructs/Moldugas)

?? Poes (Minimum for unique rewards)

?? Named Locations

?? Korok Seeds (Doubt it’s 1200)

Read this:

That... doesn't work at all. Ganondorf cannot exist before Demise. And there was definitely no Hyrule before Skyward Sword. And the Sheikah were around before Skyward Sword, but nowhere to be seen in the Zonai stuff. Plus, why couldn't the Master Sword be forged by the time of the Ancient Hero in the tapestry? We know it takes places AFTER the events of the past in TotK.

It just takes WAY too much convoluted bullshit to make BotWnand TotK fit with the other games. Even more than normal with Zelda games (even though 3D games in the past have actually been quite connected. And the things that DO overlap (the Fi-like presence in the Master Sword) can be attributed to shared, common elements of the story across retelling. Ganondorf's story in this game is pretty similar to his OoT one too.

Idk. Maybe it will make more sense once I play it. But right now it just doesn't work with the other games for me.

That... doesn't work at all. Ganondorf cannot exist before Demise. And there was definitely no Hyrule before Skyward Sword. And the Sheikah were around before Skyward Sword, but nowhere to be seen in the Zonai stuff. Plus, why couldn't the Master Sword be forged by the time of the Ancient Hero in the tapestry? We know it takes places AFTER the events of the past in TotK.

It just takes WAY too much convoluted bullshit to make BotWnand TotK fit with the other games. Even more than normal with Zelda games (even though 3D games in the past have actually been quite connected. And the things that DO overlap (the Fi-like presence in the Master Sword) can be attributed to shared, common elements of the story across retelling. Ganondorf's story in this game is pretty similar to his OoT one too.

Idk. Maybe it will make more sense once I play it. But right now it just doesn't work with the other games for me.

I'm trying not to learn everything before I play the game, but this game definitely does not retcon Skyward Sword at least. Settling a land and establishing a kingdom aren't the same thing, and even Hyrule Historia suggests there was a significant amount of time in between the end of Skyward Sword and the actual establishment of the kingdom. I personally think there's more old games which fit in with these new games, Breath of the Wild references Ocarina of Time a bunch of times, but at the very least Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild are canon with Tears of the Kingdom. We'll see what else is said with the finer details when the game comes out.

It's not really that complicated. Zelda goes to the past, create a time-paradox "Back to the Future" style. That's it, that easily explain literally everything going on between the to games. The simplest time-travel trope you find in every single book and movie, with the same laws of time travel repercussion. Every other game now is incorporated in this big "Age of the Legends" thing going on in the Depths, where you can find items from every game. The only reference with SS plot-wise is a subtle Fi reference, that's all. There's a new canon and there legends. Like they did for LotR and Star Wars.

It's not really that complicated. Zelda goes to the past, create a time-paradox "Back to the Future" style. That's it, that easily explain literally everything going on between the to games. The simplest time-travel trope you find in every single book and movie, with the same laws of time travel repercussion. Every other game now is incorporated in this big "Age of the Legends" thing going on in the Depths, where you can find items from every game. The only reference with SS plot-wise is a subtle Fi reference, that's all. There's a new canon and there legends. Like they did for LotR and Star Wars.

Wait, I agree with you on the whole "the other games are legends" thing. But I just don't see the whole "BotW Calamity story is the story Zelda tells in TotK" because that Calamity event HAS to happen to make the Divine Beasts and the Guardians. And it seems the hero of that Era was a Zonai (we don't know when they fully disappeared).

I also feel strongly the TotK past scenes simply can't be before SS. After it, maybe. But not before.

At best, I agree a new timeline could maybe be SS -> TotK Past -> BotW -> TotK Present (though I still think SS is out), but I don't buy the whole Zelda paradox thing. I'm aware how the trope works. But it leaves holes.

Man, this game is huge.

5 Dungeons -- CONFIRMED

12 Labyrinths

18 Memories -- CONFIRMED

152 Shrines -- CONFIRMED

228 Recipes -- CONFIRMED

?? Bubbul Gems

?? Named Locations

Only 5 dungeons? I'm assuming they're not counting Hyrule Castle as a proper dungeon?

Man, this game is huge.

5 Dungeons -- CONFIRMED

12 Labyrinths

18 Memories -- CONFIRMED

152 Shrines -- CONFIRMED

228 Recipes -- CONFIRMED

?? Bubbul Gems

?? Named Locations

Wells is what people used to call caves ??

My reaction to this game:

theabbie.gif

Weird seeing most of the focus is on the the depth

Sky islands should easily be the most interesting and best part of the game

Crazy looking islands with unique structures and well crafted puzzles that you can notice from afar seems like the obvious thing to focus on from the development team. Weird that it seems it's not that noteworthy

Read this:

where do Demise Curse fit here? Ganondorf first aparence was in Ocarina of Time, then the 7 sages sealed him in the Sacred Realm, and this outcome with Zelda using the Ocarina of Time to send the Hero of Time to relive it childhood, split the timeline in 2(the adult and child timeline, where Twilight Princess e Wind Waker take place in both of this timelines, and in both of this timelines, Ganondorf is killed.

WHAT? they have a sidequest similar to the pictoquest in Wind Waker, that amazing
Apparently the figures have the same pose as they do in the picture you take of them

Which...damn that's really cool

Are they the same thing as Malice holes? This is the first I have seen Well’s mentioned
Nope, they're their own thing, literally just wells (I think there's a side quest or side adventure that tracks them, which is why we have the total number confirmed). Malice holes are called Chasms

where do Demise Curse fit here? Ganondorf first aparence was in Ocarina of Time, then the 7 sages sealed him in the Sacred Realm, and this outcome with Zelda using the Ocarina of Time to send the Hero of Time to relive it childhood, split the timeline in 2(the adult and child timeline, where Twilight Princess e Wind Waker take place in both of this timelines, and in both of this timelines, Ganondorf is killed.
People are debating whether some of the previous games aren't canon, all the previous games aren't canon, or if they're still canon how it all fits together. So I'd say until the game has been more thoroughly explored we can't say for sure how it all fits together, and even then the developers may clarify something in interviews or an artbook after the game is released.

People are debating whether some of the previous games aren't canon, all the previous games aren't canon, or if they're still canon how it all fits together. So I'd say until the game has been more thoroughly explored we can't say for sure how it all fits together, and even then the developers may clarify something in interviews or an artbook after the game is released.
so i will wait if theres a Creating a Champion equivalent for Tears of The Kingdom, this look like, Nintendo did kinda of a soft reboot on the franchise or if Nintendo do ask the developer about the game.

so i will wait if theres a Creating a Champion equivalent for Tears of The Kingdom, this look like, Nintendo did kinda of a soft reboot on the franchise or if Nintendo do ask the developer about the game.
At the very least until the game has been more thoroughly explored for "lore" stuff, yeah.

Do we know what constitute’s “Ganon’s Castle”? It has music, people have beaten the game. But I still haven’t seen a description of what happens after beating the demon horde, but before the final boss beyond the first leaker to get there saying he just beelined it for Dorf and “skipped the final dungeon

Demise is from the "legends" it's not in the current canon nor relevant to BOTW/TOTK plot. Also they already retconned the Imprisoning War, so..

Do we know what constitute’s “Ganon’s Castle”? It has music, people have beaten the game. But I still haven’t seen a description of what happens after beating the demon horde, but before the final boss beyond the first leaker to get there saying he just beelined it for Dorf and “skipped the final dungeon
It's nothing but a couple rooms underground. Really nothing special about it. Any comments about 'skipping the final dungeon' must be referring to the fifth and final one.

It's nothing but a couple rooms underground. Really nothing special about it. Any comments about 'skipping the final dungeon' must be referring to the fifth and final one.
Well it was after beating the Demon Horde but before Dorf. Leaker said it was like BotW Hyrule castle but he skipped most of it to go to the final boss

Read this:

Agree on the Master Sword, but I think you are conflating the "10.000 years before BOTW" era with the Zonai era.

It goes:
  • Zonai Era (TOTK past)
  • Imprisoning War
  • Age of Myth (past Zelda games in some form)
  • Age of Prosperity
  • Ancient Hero fights the Calamity (10.000 years before BOTW)
  • Another age of Prosperity
  • BOTW!Link fights the Calamity (100 years before BOTW / AoC)
  • BOTW
  • TOTk

The tapestry is a historic manufact from the Age of Prosperity.

That feels a bit reductive to me, though of course you're entitled your opinion. There isn't a single other place that I've seen from the streams so far with such a menacing and foreboding atmosphere; the descent, the environments, and the music captured the essence of anticipating approaching the most evil place in all of Hyrule perfectly. To me, that makes it special, even if there are no puzzles or other elements to speak of, and that was my impression from just watching a stream!

I'm noticing a trend on the internet when it comes to discussing spoilers about this game where people are trying to glean too much from quantitative analyses or stats. Not enough of the qualitative experience is being conveyed to those curious about the game. I think context matters here.

Regardless of complexity, size, scale, etc. some things can only be appreciated when the execution of a given theme or other idea is experienced cohesively and directly; it's the difference between hearing someone mention or describe the amenities of a vacation resort and actually visiting the resort to experience them yourself.

That isn't to say that numbers or metrics don't matter, I just think it doesn't paint the whole picture, so I hope people will consider that before getting too disappointed.

didn’t the imprisoning war happen after Ocarina of Time and before ALTTP? Why are they saying it happened before Skyward Sword? Makes 0 sense
I think the people claiming it happened before Skyward Sword are wrong, but this game has something else called the Imprisoning War that happened at the dawn of Hyrule Kingdom. It's mentioned at the very beginning of the game. I am curious if the term used in Japanese is the same one used for the Imprisoning War in A Link to the Past, or if the localizers emphasized that terminology more.

That feels a bit reductive to me, though of course you're entitled your opinion. There isn't a single other place that I've seen from the streams so far with such a menacing and foreboding atmosphere; the descent, the environments, and the music captured the essence of anticipating approaching the most evil place in all of Hyrule perfectly. To me, that makes it special, even if there are no puzzles or other elements to speak of, and that was my impression from just watching a stream!

I'm noticing a trend on the internet when it comes to discussing spoilers about this game where people are trying to glean too much from quantitative analyses or stats. Not enough of the qualitative experience is being conveyed to those curious about the game. I think context matters here.

Regardless of complexity, size, scale, etc. some things can only be appreciated when the execution of a given theme or other idea is experienced cohesively and directly; it's the difference between hearing someone mention or describe the amenities of a vacation resort and actually visiting the resort to experience them yourself.

That isn't to say that numbers or metrics don't matter, I just think it doesn't paint the whole picture, so I hope people will consider that before getting too disappointed.
Oh you saw it? That sounds great from an atmospheric perspective and I’m sure I’ll love it

But right now I am trying to compile a list of dungeons lol so I was wondering if it does serve as a final Hyrule Castle-esque thing (something like BotW, big enclosed structure with hard enemies, but not really puzzles)

Oh you saw it? That sounds great from an atmospheric perspective and I’m sure I’ll love it

But right now I am trying to compile a list of dungeons lol so I was wondering if it does serve as a final Hyrule Castle-esque thing (something like BotW, big enclosed structure with hard enemies, but not really puzzles)

Yeah, I saw it. In that case, I'd say it's its own thing and wouldn't consider it a dungeon in that sense. It's more of a foreboding cavernous set piece with multiple vertical layers and lots of hard enemies. However, if we're including dungeons in total important set pieces in the game, then they should all be included in the list with this final area. I think trying to make a dungeon list is going to be difficult because a lot of people will feel differently about what constitutes a dungeon. In the strictest sense though, I think it's safe to not include this area in the list

I think the people claiming it happened before Skyward Sword are wrong, but this game has something else called the Imprisoning War that happened at the dawn of Hyrule Kingdom. It's mentioned at the very beginning of the game. I am curious if the term used in Japanese is the same one used for the Imprisoning War in A Link to the Past, or if the localizers emphasized that terminology more.
gotcha, also I’m not convinced that Demise is not part of BotW/Totk canon when in the map of Botw you literally have a location called ‘Breach of Demise’ where the earth is cracked and what remains is a canyon. I love following the lore but I wish the Zelda team would explain more of the lore through the game world instead of leaving everyone scratching their heads.

Yeah, I saw it. In that case, I'd say it's its own thing and wouldn't consider it a dungeon in that sense. It's more of a foreboding cavernous set piece with multiple vertical layers and lots of hard enemies. However, if we're including dungeons in total important set pieces in the game, then they should all be included in the list with this final area. I think trying to make a dungeon list is going to be difficult because a lot of people will feel differently about what constitutes a dungeon. In the strictest sense though, I think it's safe to not include this area in the list
Stop! when you put it like that you’re just making me more excited for the game!

Honestly as long as it’s a unique area before the final boss that poses some sort of challenge, I could consider it the final dungeon tbh.

For instance every past 3D Zelda to me had a final dungeon except Skyward Sword

So it’d be Ganon’s Castle in OoT, The Moon in Majora’s Mask, Ganon’s Tower in WW, Hyrule Castle in TP and BotW. They all deviated pretty massively from what is considered a dungeon, but they were all final unique areas to their games

The only thing I can’t really count is SS’ final rush to Demise and Ghirahim, which is just plopping a mob in the Sealed Grounds, an area link has already traversed multiple times. I stop that game’s dungeon list at Sky Keep (which honestly could be combined with that last rush down the sealed grounds as the “final dungeon”)

All semantics and nothing that serious of course, just an OCD/listing/organization thing

Honestly as long as it’s a unique area before the final boss that poses some sort of challenge, I could consider it the final dungeon tbh.

For instance every past 3D Zelda to me had a final dungeon except Skyward Sword

So it’d be Ganon’s Castle in OoT, The Moon in Majora’s Mask, Ganon’s Tower in WW, Hyrule Castle in TP and BotW

The only thing I can’t really count is SS’ final rush to Demise and Ghirahim, which is just plopping a mob in the Sealed Grounds, an area link has already traversed multiple times. I stop that game’s dungeon list at Sky Keep (which honestly could be combined with that last rush down the sealed grounds as the “final dungeon”)

All semantics and nothing that serious of course, just an OCD/listing/organization thing
Well since you're the one compiling the list then the only criteria that matters is yours. If you feel like you now have enough info to make the call, by all means go ahead and include it! And to be clear, yes, by your definition, I would say "Ganon's Castle" qualifies as it's a completely unique area with waves of challenging enemies comprising a last stand

gotcha, also I’m not convinced that Demise is not part of BotW/Totk canon when in the map of Botw you literally have a location called ‘Breach of Demise’ where the earth is cracked and what remains is a canyon. I love following the lore but I wish the Zelda team would explain more of the lore through the game world instead of leaving everyone scratching their heads.
Yeah, I'm not convinced by the reboot theories, but Skyward Sword in particular still fits perfectly fine in the beginning of the series. Nothing about this game seems to contradict it in any way.

Yeah, I'm not convinced by the reboot theories, but Skyward Sword in particular still fits perfectly fine in the beginning of the series. Nothing about this game seems to contradict it in any way.

If the era of Rauru and Sonia is anywhere in the existing timeline, where can it actually fit without issue? I agree that I don't think this is intended to be a reboot, and in that case it can't just happen between [the last game of each timeline branch] and Breath of the Wild, unless all prior history of Hyrule has been lost (which doesn't appear to the case for a few reasons, including the descriptions of items from past games). The existance of Ganondorf instead of Demise makes placing it before Skyward Sword difficult, and the absence of Link makes placing it between SS and MC difficult too. The Imprisoning War in this game certainly can't be the ALttP backstory Imprisoning War either, so, where does it all fit, if it is even intended to fit? It would be a lot easier to fit these elements in if Rauru wasn't specifically said to be the first King of Hyrule.

I still lean towards full reboot, with the other games being the "legends" that are based on the "real" events we see in TotK. Hence why character names from the other games show up as locations.

we'll see, though. Haven't played the game myself yet. Only seem videos and such.

If the era of Rauru and Sonia is anywhere in the existing timeline, where can it actually fit without issue? I agree that I don't think this is intended to be a reboot, and in that case it can't just happen between [the last game of each timeline branch] and Breath of the Wild, unless all prior history of Hyrule has been lost (which doesn't appear to the case for a few reasons, including the descriptions of items from past games). The existance of Ganondorf instead of Demise makes placing it before Skyward Sword difficult, and the absence of Link makes placing it between SS and MC difficult too. The Imprisoning War in this game certainly can't be the ALttP backstory Imprisoning War either, so, where does it all fit, if it is even intended to fit? It would be a lot easier to fit these elements in if Rauru wasn't specifically said to be the first King of Hyrule.
Not to mention in the art book “Creating a Champion” The Dev Notes states “The Forgotten temple (in Botw) was contructed in order to keep a record of the heros throughout history who aided the royal family of Hyrule in the >countless< ancient battles against Ganon”

I guess I don't see what the issue is with Rauru being the first King of Hyrule. Hylia-as-Zelda might've been the first to resettle the land after Demise was destroyed, but that doesn't mean she actually established the kingdom. Even the Hyrule Historia, which I consider to be dubiously canon in some ways but does provide an at least semi-official recounting of events between games, says that the kingdom was established "many years" after Skyward Sword, by descendants of Hylia. The lack of a Link is a little strange but not especially damning, we do know of events in prior games where there wasn't a Link during some big conflict, and considering we've already seen games with multiple Links and Zeldas existing simultaneously, this Ganondorf could've been buried under Hyrule while the other one was causing trouble in the other games. This Ganondorf's actions could even be why the Gerudo and Hyrule were at war before Ocarina of Time. Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom suggest that Ganon has appeared many times over millenia, and reference many of the other games in the series in more explicit ways than the place names, so there's evidence of connections to other games. Again, I don't want to make any conclusions until we've had a chance to see all the "lore" the game has to offer, but I don't think the reboot conclusion is definitive enough yet to say that's what's happening.

I still lean towards full reboot, with the other games being the "legends" that are based on the "real" events we see in TotK. Hence why character names from the other games show up as locations.

we'll see, though. Haven't played the game myself yet. Only seem videos and such.
Man, I just want Nintendo to give us answers idk why there are peeps who get peeved at fans talking about the timeline either. We do it because it’s fun and interesting and if gives each game its own piece/place in something grand and exciting. Having the games just be a standalone story that fits into nothing would be less impactful imo.

I think that is a very fair assessment. While I can't speak for others, I am pretty confident that I fully experienced what those couple of linear rooms with some red goo had to offer via stream, and there was nothing special about them, thematically, visually, mechanically, or otherwise. But hey, that's just one person's opinion based on vicarious experience; I just think people hearing the words 'Ganon's Castle' grossly misrepresents what it actually entails (which is not a castle). Hopefully others enjoy it more!

Man, I just want Nintendo to give us answers idk why there are peeps who get peeved at fans talking about the timeline either. We do it because it’s fun and interesting and if gives each game its own piece/place in something grand and exciting. Having the games just be a standalone story that fits into nothing would be less impactful imo.
Yeah, I don't care much about the timeline in the sense of the chronological order of things, but I think the sense of history that accompanies the different games being connected is definitely a plus. As much as I like Breath of the Wild, and Tears of the Kingdom seems great too, "everything not in these two games has nothing to do with this version of Hyrule" seems more reductive than beneficial. Seeing different versions of Hyrule over time enhances the setting to me.

I have a question that I don’t think is suited of me the other thread as much because people here have spoiled themselves entirely.

If botw was going 60mph how fast would totk be going with all the stuff it has and lore?

I have a question that I don’t think is suited of me the other thread as much because people here have spoiled themselves entirely.

If botw was going 60mph how fast would totk be going with all the stuff it has and lore?
I’d say 150mph and running over 7 koroks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom