• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly feel more immersed when a game isn't realistic looking. I guess the more removed something is from reality the easier it is for me to accept any other deviations from reality, or something like that. I'm also used to immersing myself in books, which generally have pretty poor graphics (and like, terrible framerate)

I also just have a weird distaste for realistic graphics in video games in general though
Same here. The more "real" a game looks, the harder it is for me to make out specific objects and paths. Everything just blurs together, like there's an overwhelming amount of visual information so my eyes just glaze over. And it's not like a movie where I just sit back and take in beautiful, complex images, I have to actively traverse and interact with the environment in a game so if I feel like I can't see that gets really uncomfortable.

Nintendo LATAM have confirmed that ToTK will have latin spanish dubbing, I think they are doing the dubbing in Mexico, just like BoTW and Age of Calamity.

Zelda ToTK news are fast approaching.

Last edited:
Nintendo LATAM have confirmed that ToTK will have latin spanish dubbing, I think they are doing the dubbing in Mexico, just like BoTW and Age of Calamity.

The game must be on track for that May release if they are now in the dubbing process. I wonder how much longer until it's gone gold.

Exciting times ahead!

The game must be on track for that May release if they are now in the dubbing process. I wonder how much longer until it's gone gold.

Exciting times ahead!
It's already been rated, so I think that's pretty close to gold? They've probably started manufacturing cartridges for it now too.

It's already been rated, so I think that's pretty close to gold? They've probably started manufacturing cartridges for it now too.
Why is it May then, though? Might we even see something similar to Xenoblade 3 in that they announce a new release date that's in March?

One can dream lol.

Why is it May then, though? Might we even see something similar to Xenoblade 3 in that they announce a new release date that's in March?

One can dream lol.

Unlikely, though it's not confirmed and never will be, we can pretty reasonably assume Xenoblade was moved forward because something, likely Splatoon, was delayed out of the time Xeno3 ended up releasing.

I still think we're not getting any real Zelda news until a late February Direct. They'll focus marketing on Fire Emblem throughout January (and potentially Kirby remaster in February) then go all out for Zelda in next Direct. The demand is huge, so I bet they're in no rush to spill the beans just yet.

I still think we're not getting any real Zelda news until a late February Direct. They'll focus marketing on Fire Emblem throughout January (and potentially Kirby remaster in February) then go all out for Zelda in next Direct. The demand is huge, so I bet they're in no rush to spill the beans just yet.
I'd agree, Nintendo's marketing has been taking the big releases one at a time for a while now. January is Fire Emblem month, February is where it's at for Zelder (and drake?).

Also, with the name of this thread I keep thinking there's a new trailer, but it's about the september one =P .

I'd agree, Nintendo's marketing has been taking the big releases one at a time for a while now. January is Fire Emblem month, February is where it's at for Zelder (and drake?).

Also, with the name of this thread I keep thinking there's a new trailer, but it's about the september one =P .
It's just using the Nintendo definition of new

147 days only

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-dev-tests-4.jpg

I imagine leaks relating to the game will appear very soon. Merchandise from 3rd party suppliers, magazines, posters, and promotional material from 3rd party manufacturers will inevitably start making merch for TotK and that stuff will leak eventually.

Hard to say if any leaks will come from Nintendo seeing how good of a job they’ve kept this under wraps so far.

I imagine leaks relating to the game will appear very soon. Merchandise from 3rd party suppliers, magazines, posters, and promotional material from 3rd party manufacturers will inevitably start making merch for TotK and that stuff will leak eventually.

Hard to say if any leaks will come from Nintendo seeing how good of a job they’ve kept this under wraps so far.
Yup only a matter of time. Still wish Amazon didn’t leak Link climbing in botw that would’ve been a huge surprise

Not sure about soon, this could start appearing starting February/March I think. And I assume at that point we will know good chunk of ToTK so it will not be something we didn't see. EPD games are not leaking much, and with franchise as prestigious as Zelda I don't see it happen to a big degree.

Not sure about soon, this could start appearing starting February/March I think. And I assume at that point we will know good chunk of ToTK so it will not be something we didn't see. EPD games are not leaking much, and with franchise as prestigious as Zelda I don't see it happen to a big degree.

If they make as much merch for a TotK as they did for BoTW, then I wouldn’t be surprised to see stuff leak out in January (from 3rd party of course).

I find it strange that there are still people who think a TotK may be delayed. The game was delayed, but that delay was only ~6 months. Im incredibly certain that May 12th is locked in, pending some super crazy circumstance or act of god.

Last edited:
I find it strange that there are still people who think a TotK may be delayed. The game was delayed, but that delay was only ~6 months. Im incredibly certain that May 12th is locked in, pending some super crazy circumstance or act of god.
It's because there's a weird lack of info and footage for a game this close to release. I don't think it'll be delayed, but the circumstances aren't exactly great.

I don't remember BOTW having any leaks at all, maybe some small tidbids before things like E3. Only thing I remember is this and this.
To its credit, that first link is a pretty substantial leak haha. That's almost the whole gameplay loop.

Otherwise yeah, they're fairly tight-lipped around this one. None of the trailers really even sell anything about it other than Ganondorf in the ground, islands in the sky.

That, and that one patent around mid-air archery. It seems like it's pretty on the money.

Yes. First, there was this vague release window of "2022", then it got delayed to "Spring 2023" (which is a delay, but also came with a more certain period of time), and then they've finally locked a month and date (confirming that window). Things look pretty much aligned for that release date.

It's because there's a weird lack of info and footage for a game this close to release. I don't think it'll be delayed, but the circumstances aren't exactly great.
This is absolutelly in line with all Nintendo releases? Like... how early did we know about Fire Emblem Engage or Paper Mario Origami King? Or even Xenoblade Chronicles 3? They all were only revealed some months before release. There is no "lack of info or footage for a game this close to release".

This is absolutelly in line with all Nintendo releases? Like... how early did we know about Fire Emblem Engage or Paper Mario Origami King? Or even Xenoblade Chronicles 3? They all were only revealed some months before release. There is no "lack of info or footage for a game this close to release".
This is a mainline installment in one of their biggest franchise and certainly their most prestigious. Likely a game that will take over 100 hours to complete and yet we've seen less than like 5 minutes of footage.

It's weird and it's a bad move on their part.

This is a mainline installment in one of their biggest franchise and certainly their most prestigious. Likely a game that will take over 100 hours to complete and yet we've seen less than like 5 minutes of footage.

It's weird and it's a bad move on their part.
Ehmm… A bad move?

The instant they release a new trailer - not teaser (hopefully) - in the next two months, whatever they've done up until then will not matter. It will suck up all the energy and attention in the room and kickstart the hype train til May arrives, like the BotW Switch Presentation trailer.

Eh, I disagree. I think logically the Q1 direct will have what we are waiting for and that's pretty much made sense for a while, but definitely after the no-show at TGA.

Nintendo has had "weird" marketing for much of the Switch lifetime.

I really like Nintendo's approach in general, but Zelda is like this weird exception where they always announce it too early every time.

The first full trailer of God of War Ragnarok was shown in the september SOP just 2 months before launch and the debut trailer for Star Wars Jedi Survivor was at TGA just 3 months before launch.
This is just how it is in a post-Covid (arguable) world!

Plus, Nintendo already liked talking about games only when they were close to launch even before all of this, so I don't see anything weird with the marketing or a reason to be worried with the game so far.

Nobody saw Covid coming. Woudnt surprise me if it delayed the game 2 years.
But it was never going to be out in 2020 anyway (Age of Calamity had to have been pencilled in mid to late 2020 by that point). So even without COVID, they announced it well over a year in advance. They don't do this with any other game that I can think of (Prime4/Bayo3 obviously excepted). Maybe Splatoon 3?

But it was never going to be out in 2020 anyway (Age of Calamity had to have been pencilled in mid to late 2020 by that point). So even without COVID, they announced it well over a year in advance. They don't do this with any other game that I can think of (Prime4/Bayo3 obviously excepted). Maybe Splatoon 3?
Yeah, I'm also wondering about 2021... Skyward Sword releasing to whet appetites for a new skybound Zelda makes sense. So maybe TotK wasn't even planned for 2021?

I think its early announcement in 2019 was to kick off the recruitment drive that's still going on, finally expanding Nintendo EPD to a reasonable size for the amount of profit they generate (and the amount of projects they're barely able to juggle).

Wasn't Splatoon 3 made by essentially a team of new folks BTW? Wasn't that game also announced early? I remember the SOS message that said "2020", can't remember if it was accompanied by a recruitment post. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of TotK folks are new as well.

For other franchises (like Splatoon3), the recruitment thing makes sense.

Zelda's different though. We know they're always making one. I don't understand why they need to advertise it. Monolithsoft's Zelda team is just like, "so we're making Zelda. Obviously. What else would we be doing? Anyway come join us."

Yeah, I'm also wondering about 2021... Skyward Sword releasing to whet appetites for a new skybound Zelda makes sense. So maybe TotK wasn't even planned for 2021?

I think its early announcement in 2019 was to kick off the recruitment drive that's still going on, finally expanding Nintendo EPD to a reasonable size for the amount of profit they generate (and the amount of projects they're barely able to juggle).

Wasn't Splatoon 3 made by essentially a team of new folks BTW? Wasn't that game also announced early? I remember the SOS message that said "2020", can't remember if it was accompanied by a recruitment post. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of TotK folks are new as well.
Skyward Sword was a port that I imagine didn’t take that long. and perhaps more importantly was much easier to work on from home than totk because it doesn’t require the same degree of cooperation/ coordination.

I think Covid messed up a lot for multiple Zelda game schedules. AoC could've been a summer 2020 game with Skyward Sword coming in early 2021 for the 35th anniversary and then later in 2021 TotK could've came.

Covid might pushed development for TotK back nearly a year, but the Zelda team's ambitions possibly became greater as they kept going forward (which is normal with Zelda), so they needed even more time after 2022, even after adding more people to the team for TotK.

ToTK announced early does not bother me, there are two things that will always stay the same:
1) Zelda games announced way earlier than other EPD titles.
2) Zelda game getting delayed.

It's pretty clear than the initial plan when it was revealed was release it in 2021, so around 2.5 years from reveal to release. Not to mention that just 2 weeks after the 2019 reveal they posted job listings.

If you ever think that Zelda team will announce their brand new 3D Zelda game and release it in same year that will never happen, as opposite to other EPD studios like EPD Tokyo, which has no problem revealing the game in begging of x year and releasing it in the same year.
This is just a speculation on my part but it's pretty clear that the game was delayed for a at least 12 months due to pandemic. The second delay (being 6 months only) is classic Zelda team improvement on the title. Of course we don't know anything about the development of the game so this is only speculation.
If new hardware releases with Zelda I would say it's a great opportunity but not a very intended one, yes if the hardware and the game are ready with only let's say 3 months apart it's neat but remember that ToTK was supposed to launch way earlier than new hardware was even ready.
And as much as some people dislike the current "marketing cycle" Nintendo is the one who has numbers and they know what works best for them, and as was said previously, when the full tratiler drops it will all be forgotten, you will see so much ToTK from April to May to the point when you will likely be sick about it lol.

Last edited:
ToTK announced early does not bother me, there are two things that will always stay the same:
1) Zelda games announced way earlier than other EPD titles.
2) Zelda game getting delayed.

It's pretty clear than the initial plan when it was revealed was release it in 2021, so around 2.5 years from reveal to release. Not to mention that just 2 weeks after the 2019 reveal they posted job listings.

If you ever think that Zelda team will announce their brand new 3D Zelda game and release it in same year that will never happen, as opposite to other EPD studios like EPD Tokyo, which has no problem revealing the game in begging of x year and releasing it in the same year.
This is just a speculation on my part but it's pretty clear that the game was delayed for a at least 12 months due to pandemic. The second delay (being 6 months only) is classic Zelda team improvement on the title. Of course we don't know anything about the development of the game so this is only speculation.
If new hardware releases with Zelda I would say it's a great opportunity but not a very intended one, yes if the hardware and the game are ready with only let's say 3 months apart it's neat but remember that ToTK was supposed to launch way earlier than new hardware was even ready.
And as much as some people dislike the current "marketing cycle" Nintendo is the one who has numbers and they know what works best for them, and as was said previously, when the full tratiler drops it will all be forgotten, you will see so much ToTK from April to May to the point when you will likely be sick about it lol.
Yeah that last sentence is pretty important. It’s gonna be funny when we shift to “stop showing so much nintendo!!”

It’s bound to happen

It'll be do easy to show off the game without spoiling anything. Obviously it's hard to strike that perfect balance between informing people and preserving potential moments to feel satisfied from in-game curiosity. But they could show us some concepts and/or parts of the game like:

-Show off the changes to the great plateau/starting area.
-Show off a couple sky islands like those in the 2021 e3 trailer.
-Show off some of the area under Hyrule Castle.
-Show a new town or the changes to an old one.
-Show a bit of the first dungeon.
-Show off a couple shrine equivalent puzzles.
-Explore center Hyrule a bit and show us what happened to guardians and fight some new and old enemies.
-Show us Link starting on an island then jumping down to the overworld, doing some combat, then going back up.

If they showed us even half of that then they're still only scratching the surface.

It'll be do easy to show off the game without spoiling anything. Obviously it's hard to strike that perfect balance between informing people and preserving potential moments to feel satisfied from in-game curiosity. But they could show us some concepts and/or parts of the game like:

-Show off the changes to the great plateau/starting area.
-Show off a couple sky islands like those in the 2021 e3 trailer.
-Show off some of the area under Hyrule Castle.
-Show a new town or the changes to an old one.
-Show a bit of the first dungeon.
-Show off a couple shrine equivalent puzzles.
-Explore center Hyrule a bit and show us what happened to guardians and fight some new and old enemies.
-Show us Link starting on an island then jumping down to the overworld, doing some combat, then going back up.

If they showed us even half of that then they're still only scratching the surface.
TOO MUCH!

Absolutely do not show off dungeons.

They didn't show off the Divine Beasts, don't show off the dungeons, either.
Yeah, I also would prefer to not see any dungeons or parts of any dungeons, but if they decided to show off any part of any dungeon, then I would still be pleased. Also, didn't they show off most of the 1st dungeon when promoting Skyward Sword? It could happen again.

Yeah, I also would prefer to not see any dungeons or parts of any dungeons, but if they decided to show off any part of any dungeon, then I would still be pleased. Also, didn't they show off most of the 1st dungeon when promoting Skyward Sword? It could happen again.

I hated Skyward Sword's marketing because they basically spoiled every dungeon and every boss in the game before the game's release. I thought that was insane. And yes, I believe the E3 demo of Skyward Sword was the entire first dungeon, boss fight with Ghirahim included.

I hated Skyward Sword's marketing because they basically spoiled every dungeon and every boss in the game before the game's release. I thought that was insane. And yes, I believe the E3 demo of Skyward Sword was the entire first dungeon, boss fight with Ghirahim included.

That was definitely too much. BotW and TotK are so large that there is so much to choose from regarding gameplay reveal/marketing videos.

Skyward Sword didn't have many options in comparison, not only did it gave away a lot, but marketing might've indicated that showing off more than less would help game sales, but obviously that's just speculation.

I think people need to consider that they very well might show a lot of TotK if this game is launching with the 2023 Switch.

They don't need to show dungeons.

But I genuinely feel like a,
"We have dungeons now" would be helpful.
Or a,
"We think the mini-dungeon/slightly larger mini-dungeon formula works really well for the open world so we're sticking with it"
Would also keep people's expectations in check.

They keep showing these coy little glimpses of the game, when they could meaningfully communicate far more and spoil far less by actually just talking about it.

It wouldn't have harmed my enjoyment of Breath of the Wild if they had said before it was released: "We've got villages." I would have been more inclined to buy it earlier, probably.
Instead, we got a trailer that actually showed the villages (albeit very briefly), thus spoiling some of the surprise.

It wouldn't have harmed my enjoyment of Breath of the Wild if they had said before it was released: "We've got villages." I would have been more inclined to buy it earlier, probably.
They did, though. Not as a part of marketing but in an IGN interview shortly after E3.

I question how upfront they need to be. Dungeons are a given in Zelda games and BotW had 5 main ones, I don't think they would bother to draw a line between 'traditional' and 'non-traditional', outside of developer interviews, which slip under the radar. Saying "we have dungeons" prior to release doesn't tell me anything and trying to be more specific ruins the surprise of discovering the gameplay loop. If we end up with 5-7 Hyrule Castle sized dungeons with some kind of semi-linear progression I don't think there's an easy way of communicating that aside from 'it won't be like the previous game' which I think they'll be saying anyway.

They actually did say there would be villages?

Then where tf did the "no towns" concerns come from!!!

Anyway, I think they could communicate what you suggested very well, by using the exact words you just used. That's the great thing about words.

So it will come out in March?!

Edit: Or whatever release window they previously said it would be?

I don't recall a Zelda game being delayed after getting a full release date. Except maybe Twilight Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom