• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then where tf did the "no towns" concerns come from!!!

The same place where people were sure Link was a woman after the initial Zelda U cinematic trailer and from the E3 2016 lanyards.
Also the same place where people are convinced that TotK features two different Links.

Nintendo will probably cut content that won't make the May 12th deadline before pushing May12th back.

I think we will get a January trailer that will put every doubt to rest. Hopefully less than a month until a trailer but we'll see.

Anyway, I think they could communicate what you suggested very well, by using the exact words you just used. That's the great thing about words.
I don't expect them to be that specific*. At most, maybe:
"Like the previous game, you will encounter a variety of trials, dungeons, and quests in the overworld. We have worked to make them more expansive, with a wider variety of puzzles using the new runes you have just seen, and imbuing a sense of challenge without abandoning player freedom. Please look forward to The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom launching May 12, 2023 (with Switch Ultra :') )"

And they tease one or two interior shots in a trailer like they did the Divine Beasts in the Switch Presentation one.

Word of mouth helped BotW a lot, people were eager to share and stream the discoveries they made and how their journeys differed e.g. "Oh I went to Vah Ruta first to get the healing ability, what about you?" "I raided Hyrule Castle first to grab some good gear before getting the Master Sword" etc. It's still convincing folks to try the game to this day, in spite of Nintendo's vague marketing.

*they could be more specific in dev interviews but in BotW pre-release ones (even in this one where they mention villages) they outright say "I can't share too much" and I wouldn't be surprised if they said that again.

Last edited:
Nintendo will probably cut content that won't make the May 12th deadline before pushing May12th back.

I think we will get a January trailer that will put every doubt to rest. Hopefully less than a month until a trailer but we'll see.

If the game has a release date, most likely the content is final already. The only reasons they would delay now are;

• Need of more polish
  • Delaying it to release it with new hardware

If the game has a release date, most likely the content is final already. The only reasons they would delay now are;

• Need of more polish
  • Delaying it to release it with new hardware
Yeah, hopefully January news, if we get it, will reveal some new hardware info.

I’m in the camp that believes it’s basically done, and they’re just perfecting visuals and performance as well as making the most of Drake

I wonder if we look at the content in MK8, and then look at all the content in MK8 Deluxe with all the DLC, the jump from BotW to TotK may be a parallel.
I'm still imagining a Pokemon Gold / Silver situation, where the previous game's map was included but is only 1/2 of the game world and 1/3 the content.

The same place where people were sure Link was a woman after the initial Zelda U cinematic trailer and from the E3 2016 lanyards.
Also the same place where people are convinced that TotK features two different Links.
Is this the same place where people think Zelda is playable because she has short hair.

Do we expect them to stick to it? I keep hearing that they'll delay it because they didn't show anything at The Game Awards or... something.
If they were going to delay it, I imagine they would have said so in September rather than giving it a release day.

I don't think it's reasonable to think it won't make May 12th.

Do we expect them to stick to it? I keep hearing that they'll delay it because they didn't show anything at The Game Awards or... something.
It's already rated, and the rating went through weeks ago. It's not getting delayed.

Absolutely do not show off dungeons.

They didn't show off the Divine Beasts, don't show off the dungeons, either.
I actually think not showing Divine Beasts (besides the game informer story description iirc) was a mistake

I think they should at least clear the dungeon thing up and show how it’s handled in TOTK - it’ll either assuage fears if they’re back, or rip the bandaid off ahead of time and allow people to get over it.

I actually think not showing Divine Beasts (besides the game informer story description iirc) was a mistake

I think they should at least clear the dungeon thing up and show how it’s handled in TOTK - it’ll either assuage fears if they’re back, or rip the bandaid off ahead of time and allow people to get over it.

If the discovery of a dungeon and seeing it for the first time is a highlight of the game, they just need to tread carefully. I’m just thinking, imagine if we all knew about the elevator to Siofra River in Elden Ring before discovering it for ourselves?

It'd be pretty cool if there is an underground dungeon that got separated or separates in half when part of it rises into the sky. In order to complete the dungeon, we have to go from the sky to the underground and then find a way back up to complete it.

Last edited:
I want a Tower of Hera equivalent dungeon in 3D. And with the series now being open world, I want seamless transitions between the interior/exterior for puzzles and movement.

This is a goofy video but there's an interesting tidbit at 8:26:

"The loading zones for [BotW] technically only occur with x and z distance ... there is no loading zone for height, so nothing actually needs to load as we're falling, there were no delays as we fall".

Thought that was a cool detail, that the engine already implements a seamless load for vertical distance, and they're taking advantage of that for the sequel. You could go between the islands and the surface without any hitches.

And this video in particular shows how far you can go in the original engine, taking Link all the way up to space.

I’m in the camp that believes it’s basically done, and they’re just perfecting visuals and performance as well as making the most of Drake

It's already been rated, which means it's done done

Somebody else mentioned that rating doesn’t mean β€œdone done” but just that they have locked in the content of the game. It’s still being worked on tho

That was me and I stand by it.

This is a goofy video but there's an interesting tidbit at 8:26:

"The loading zones for [BotW] technically only occur with x and z distance ... there is no loading zone for height, so nothing actually needs to load as we're falling, there were no delays as we fall".

Thought that was a cool detail, that the engine already implements a seamless load for vertical distance, and they're taking advantage of that for the sequel. You could go between the islands and the surface without any hitches.

And this video in particular shows how far you can go in the original engine, taking Link all the way up to space.

It really is nice to see some of the conclusions from my analysis of the game's engine further confirmed with this footage. There was always evidence in the vanilla game's gameplay that suggested the use of simulated atmospheric scattering techniques, but many people speculated that skybox was faked. It's incredible how well the scattering algorithms hold up at this distance from the surface.

I think it's clear that their engine and renderer were designed from the beginning to support the ideas that they're now implementing in Tears of the Kingdom.

EDIT:

If the atmospheric effects were only added to the modded version of the game, then my previous statements obviously wouldn't apply. However, even if that were the case, we can see plenty of evidence of simulated rayleigh scattering and mie scattering in the vanilla game, and modded effects would probably just be tweaks to parameter values for the algorithms that are already part of the game's code.

Last edited:
This game seems like it's going to be so massive that I'm confused how they move forward. Like, personally, I just can't see myself being interested in a dungeon-focused 3D Zelda again. I would buy, however, more Link's Awakening style dungeon-focused Zelda games, if that makes sense.

This game seems like it's going to be so massive that I'm confused how they move forward. Like, personally, I just can't see myself being interested in a dungeon-focused 3D Zelda again. I would buy, however, more Link's Awakening style dungeon-focused Zelda games, if that makes sense.
Have you seen something we haven’t seen?

Have you seen something we haven’t seen?
Probably not but its obvious if you consider minimum 4 full years of development since BoTW, considering they already had a huge base with BoTW. Personally I've been saying this since the E3 2019 trailer but they're obviously hiding lots of things about thΓ© world ("new horizons"β„’), gameplay, story, characters, towns.

It might not be Nintendo's most ambitious game because BoTW was carrying lots of things on his back !ot only the game itself but also Nintendo's reputation and Switch's sucess), but it will definitely be Nintendo's biggest game, I think.

If Tears of the Kingdom is to Breath of the Wild what Super Mario Galaxy 2 is to Super Mario Galaxy, it might not review as high, but many will prefer it to the original.

EDIT:

If the atmospheric effects were only added to the modded version of the game, then my previous statements obviously wouldn't apply. However, even if that were the case, we can see plenty of evidence of simulated rayleigh scattering and mie scattering in the vanilla game, and modded effects would probably just be tweaks to parameter values for the algorithms that are already part of the game's code.
It is possible to reach space in a non-emulated copy through glitching, this might give a more accurate picture of how the effects look.

It is possible to reach space in a non-emulated copy through glitching, this might give a more accurate picture of how the effects look.

Thanks. So the effects were there all along, as expected. I'm impressed that the Zelda team had enough foresight to make sure that the framework for an expandable environment that could be seen somewhat realistically from space was already in place in the Breath of the Wild.

Also, props to that player for doing that. That takes dedication!

holy shit he did it

Link escaped to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism

xW62ou4.gif

Nintendo the kind of company that will drop a trailer for upcoming 2023 games this week and it will include 3 seconds of new TotK footage and 2 seconds of Pikmin 4 footage.

Edit: also, I found something cool in the last TotK trailer but I’ve never used the spoilers tag before so first I need to figure out how to use that.

Edit again: Not going to post it because there's a reasonable doubt that it is not what it seems.

Last edited:
I don't think Elden Ring used vertically in any novel sense outside of it being an easy way to gatekeep players and preserve certain sequencing.
Ah ok, I hadn't played it so was just based on some things I'd read

Last edited:
I guess there will be a new way to get the Hylian Shield in this game. Honestly that will be kind of strange, but hopefully there’s some kind of cool boss or mini-dungeon we have to beat to get it.

Game probably doesn't take place that long after BotW, but I'd love to see places being rebuilt and new structures dotting the overworld.

Have small challenges in each of that spots that could even take the place of 'Shrine Quests'.

(or do a Timeshift scenario and have these places entirely rebuilt anyway πŸ‘€)

Game probably doesn't take place that long after BotW, but I'd love to see places being rebuilt and new structures dotting the overworld.

Have small challenges in each of that spots that could even take the place of 'Shrine Quests'.

(or do a Timeshift scenario and have these places entirely rebuilt anyway πŸ‘€)

I'd say the game takes place ~1 year after BOTW. It'd be cool if guardians got repurposed by Robbie, Zelda, and Purah to help rebuild Hyrule by adding new homes in existing towns, and repair stone buildings through central Hyrule. It'd be such a neat change that would keep guardians relevant in TotK.

Guardians would be well suited for carrying stuff, and story wise this would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom