• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-Screenshot-051.jpg

5xrUAcI.png

Don't know if this has been noticed before, but those long streaks of black substance falling from the sky from trailer 2 is probably this tar substance, not malice. You can see it pouring down behind Link in the second picture.

image.png

The tar is likely a mechanic tied to this Zora sky area, as we see a tar shark attack Link...
the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-trailer-3-glhf-23.jpg

...as well as blobs of tar being shot out of some source in the left side of this picture.
To add to this, I think the tar might be turning parts of Zora's domain into a giant tar pit, just like the ones we see in certain areas in BotW.
Exploring_1_Screen_Shot_3_4_17__12.44_PM.png

neCNdul.png

If we look at this image, we see that the "water" in Zora's Domain Reservoir appears murkier then the water in the ocean, even though water in Zora's domain should be very pure. I am not sure what the best way to compare colors is, but the RGB values are definitely different between the two. This reservoir is right where one of the strands of tar is pouring from the sky.

Perhaps when the game starts, Zora's Domain is polluted and cannot be swum in. But once you go up to the sky islands with Sidon and clear the tar away, it become clear again. If we assume that each of the "tears" grants Link new abilities, maybe Sidon's tear gives you the ability to swim underwater (or just swim underwater more easily). Now you are free to explore all of Zora's Domain, and can even dive down and find caves and such (or hopefully a dungeon).

To add to this, I think the tar might be turning parts of Zora's domain into a giant tar pit, just like the ones we see in certain areas in BotW.

neCNdul.png

If we look at this image, we see that the "water" in Zora's Domain Reservoir appears murkier then the water in the ocean, even though water in Zora's domain should be very pure. I am not sure what the best way to compare colors is, but the RGB values are definitely different between the two. This reservoir is right where one of the strands of tar is pouring from the sky.

Perhaps when the game starts, Zora's Domain is polluted and cannot be swum in. But once you go up to the sky islands with Sidon and clear the tar away, it become clear again. If we assume that each of the "tears" grants Link new abilities, maybe Sidon's tear gives you the ability to swim underwater (or just swim underwater more easily). Now you are free to explore all of Zora's Domain, and can even dive down and find caves and such (or hopefully a dungeon).
I just realized that the sky orb is spinning; but in a different spot in the trailer we see Link pushing a big wheel to cause it to spin. Considering this is the Zora area, could Sidon be in there pushing it for us?

I just realized that the sky orb is spinning; but in a different spot in the trailer we see Link pushing a big wheel to cause it to spin. Considering this is the Zora area, could Sidon be in there pushing it for us?
there might be various ones with different ways they need to be entered

neCNdul.png

Cool to see more overworld changes are being noticed. Yeah if there are caves under Zoras domain that would be great, probably will be
The game looks fucking huge.

By that, I mean this:

It evokes awe, seeing those islands in the background and going through underground caverns.
Also they havent shown many islands up close, and could be more added to the sky overtime/higher up. This game gonna be BIG

Last edited:
FtnbLVjX0BQHVq2

Probably the least talked about part of the trailer but the intro was so well done. We start with the sky islands with tranquil music in the background so show off some of the new places we'll be exploring but have seen before in previous trailers. Then the music suddenly swells as we see Link descending from the sky. But he's not descending from the sky islands we just saw but from above, illustrating how high the map can really go. As Link falls, we first can see out into the horizon which seem endless. He then swoops by a tower to further highlight the enormous scale of the game. As the camera spins and turns, it begins to focus towards the ground where we can see the familiar but still massive landscape of Hyrule. In it we see a bunch of glyphs in the terrain and unknown towers in the distance. Link's descent is all one camera shot with no cuts. Despite falling for several seconds, he still is way above the ground as the title logo appears.

The shot along with the music highlight Link as a hero. It gives off the feeling that he is some mythical hero descending from the heavens to save the world as he always done.

No, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be long ears in the mural, not present day Zelda. The theme of fusion kinda suggests together they're combining their people (Zonai and Hylian)
if there's time travel involved, maybe the Murals are clues that Zelda has left in the past for Link to follow to locate all the Tear gemstones.

Basically Zelda could be communicating from 10,000 years ago to help Link in the past via the Master Sword and murals/glyphs.

FtnbLVjX0BQHVq2

Probably the least talked about part of the trailer but the intro was so well done. We start with the sky islands with tranquil music in the background so show off some of the new places we'll be exploring but have seen before in previous trailers. Then the music suddenly swells as we see Link descending from the sky. But he's not descending from the sky islands we just saw but from above, illustrating how high the map can really go. As Link falls, we first can see out into the horizon which seem endless. He then swoops by a tower to further highlight the enormous scale of the game. As the camera spins and turns, it begins to focus towards the ground where we can see the familiar but still massive landscape of Hyrule. In it we see a bunch of glyphs in the terrain and unknown towers in the distance. Link's descent is all one camera shot with no cuts. Despite falling for several seconds, he still is way above the ground as the title logo appears.

The shot along with the music highlight Link as a hero. It gives off the feeling that he is some mythical hero descending from the heavens to save the world as he always done.

Link diving through the sky in the opening of the trailer leading up to the Zelda title card reveal was amazing

I wonder what will happen if you attach a bunch of rockets to that carriage full of NPCs. Surely they added some kind of morality system to prevent you from sentencing a bunch of innocent people to a painful death in outer space, right?

I wonder what will happen if you attach a bunch of rockets to that carriage full of NPCs. Surely they added some kind of morality system to prevent you from sentencing a bunch of innocent people to a painful death in outer space, right?
I imagine the batteries would run out and they'd come crashing back down

Link diving through the sky in the opening of the trailer leading up to the Zelda title card reveal was amazing

I hate my brain I just can’t stop watching this trailer lol

I just wish the IQ was as clean as these direct feed (?) images

Anyone else feel like they got enough info after that trailer? I feel like I don't need nor want a single bit of new info. I watched all of the official marketing stuff, saw about 25 artbook photos (most accidentally), and I feel like I just need the game now. Debating on going dark on this thread even lol.

It only took two days for TotK's final trailer to match the views of trailer #2, which is two months old and a minute and a half shorter...

Idk how to embed the YouTube thumbnails that show view counts, but this is incredible!

It only took two days for TotK's final trailer to match the views of trailer #2, which is two months old and a minute and a half shorter...

Idk how to embed the YouTube thumbnails that show view counts, but this is incredible!

The gameplay showcase got people intrigued, then this trailer sold people. Makes sense.

The other trailers were also shown in Nintendo Directs so it's not a full 1:1 comparison because a lot people just watched the trailers during the Directs. But it is a really good trailer and I suspect people will be watching this one again a lot more.

What are the thoughts on the mushrooms in Hateno? What if it’s like an evil mushrooms that took over the village?

Never heard of the Great Mushroom Festival? Spring time is over and it's now summer, time for the mushroom's arrival! Jokes aside, it looks like the mushrooms are a theme as you can see what looks like stores themed with mushrooms, etc if you observe the town shot in the video.

Hylians about to get VERY HIGH. No wonder we're seeing some crazy shit... ;)

Last edited:
What are the thoughts on the mushrooms in Hateno? What if it’s like an evil mushrooms that took over the village?
Drug Lord Ganondorf sent his secret stash on the wagon Link unsuspectedly hauled to Hateno with the other people (cartel members) onboard. Only plausible explanation.

You know we assume Zelda is in the past, but what if Ganondorf is too? It doesn't make a lot of sense to imagine Ganondorf is in the present just letting Link and Hyruleans wander about, so what if only Zombiedorf exists in the present and Ganondorf proper only exists in the past, and he's unable to do much besides summoning monsters and disasters like the tornado from his pit below Hyrule Castle.

I think what happened was that over the few years of peace as Hyrule was rebuilding, people started mining and searching for ore, and they discovered the deep underground and the various mushrooms, and they became a big fashion trend/commodity to sell in Hateno.

some interesting details. Could this be Flaxel(or Amani in Japanese)? Her dialogue says "Next time we meet, I'll be the one protecting you", so if it's really her, then it's cool that the devs remember small details like this.

Last edited:
some interesting details. Could this be Flaxel(or Amani in Japanese)? The text says "Next time we meet, I'll be the one protecting you", so if it's really her, then it's cool that the devs remember small details like this.

Certainly has the same face. I've no doubt this game is going to be crammed with small details like this. I just got excited realizing we can see what happens next for so many minor NPCs, like the one living in a rubbish heap cooking dubious food, or the one protective flower lady, or the one fawning over the shrine orb....

At the end of the day, he remains wrong & shouldn't be looking for credit on this trailer presentation. He can try to claim a trailer is an Event or say the timing was right due to it being the same week; but no detail that he claimed was given to him ended up as accurate. It's not a matter of misunderstanding speculation for rumor or anything remotely of the sort. Yesterday he was willing to concede and said his sources may have confused Nintendo Live for a Zelda announcement. Today... he wants to say he was right; yet, nothing he claimed early knowledge came to be. A trailer isn't an Event. A trailer isn't a Direct. The trailer isn't on April 12th nor April 14th.

In reality, the source was likely hedging a bet based on patterns, made some assumptions, came close but was wrong and got Mike to bite at some safe bait that didn't take.

He could have easily say, "Welp, my info was wrong but it's cool we are getting a trailer this week" and moved on without any issue. He may not actively desire to be a leaker or a rumor channel, but he heavily aligns his coverage with such content. He has mischaracterized countless patents. Saying "take for a grain of salt" doesn't absolve one of responsibility when they opt to relay information -- whether being the original source or sourcing the information from an external outlet/personality.
As I said I’ve told him a few times now I didn’t like how he did things at times but it’s his channel and he can do as he pleases. He’s still a nice guy, at least to me.

I am sure there is a small shot in this comment at my content towards the end, but it’s whatever. Life moves on.

Certainly has the same face. I've no doubt this game is going to be crammed with small details like this. I just got excited realizing we can see what happens next for so many minor NPCs, like the one living in a rubbish heap cooking dubious food, or the one protective flower lady, or the one fawning over the shrine orb....
Same here. I just want to check up on all the NPCs to see how they've been doing.

Anyone else feel like they got enough info after that trailer? I feel like I don't need nor want a single bit of new info. I watched all of the official marketing stuff, saw about 25 artbook photos (most accidentally), and I feel like I just need the game now. Debating on going dark on this thread even lol.
This is me basically, I will not watch previews and will go out from these threads once their happen sometime in the last week of April. I feel like I want to figure out myself how the game starts, what the egg shrine things look inside or what the towers actually do. These things will no doubt be in previews, and be it 2 weeks before the release, it's just so close that it's better to have that surprise moment.

Switch_TLOZ_TOTK_Screen_22.jpg

This hand above is from this guy below

zelda-final-trailer-24.large.jpg

zelda-final-trailer-28.large.jpg

zelda-final-trailer-30.large.jpg

I could be wrong, but do we think that's a possibility?

The other hand is Zelda probably. The bracelets match.

You know we assume Zelda is in the past, but what if Ganondorf is too? It doesn't make a lot of sense to imagine Ganondorf is in the present just letting Link and Hyruleans wander about, so what if only Zombiedorf exists in the present and Ganondorf proper only exists in the past, and he's unable to do much besides summoning monsters and disasters like the tornado from his pit below Hyrule Castle.

I think what happened was that over the few years of peace as Hyrule was rebuilding, people started mining and searching for ore, and they discovered the deep underground and the various mushrooms, and they became a big fashion trend/commodity to sell in Hateno.
I like this theory and really haven't thought about what's happening in the past with Gannondorf. All the trailers have been flip flopping from scenes from the past and present so I can't really tell what's the present and what's the past anymore. That's going to be insane if we have to fight two Gannondorf's at the same time one in the past and one in the present.

Ganondorf could enter a time bubble in the present during a cutscene. Like Link might do to progress in the story.

They don't necessarily have to be in the past.

Edit: but I like the above theory as well!

At one point we were discussing all the flickering lights in Hateno from the second trailer and thinking something crazy must have happened, turns out they were all just busy watching the Mario movie and getting ideas on how to redecorate.

Used my TotK hype to start my first ever playthrough of ALttP! Just got the third pendant and moon pearl, heading to bed now. Master sword tomorrow!

Gonna try to beat the game before TotK but I'm so busy at work that I'm not sure it'll be possible.

What's the general opinion on the low gravity jump? Is it a new unlockable ability to use anywhere (maybe the fabled feet icon?) or purely contextual?
Long jump is a thing also outside the context of the trailer shot with the platform, we can see in the footage on the website

But maybe the gravity is contextual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom