• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might have gotten hate for a "defense of BotW" thread because it's one the most popular game of all time and got huge critical acclaim. It's like making a thread called "The Beatles are actually a really good band".

I'm really wondering if we are going to see many minidungeons in BotW 2. It's obvious that they are shying away from using Shiekah technology again, so Shiekah Shrines won't return. Some people think that each of the sky islands are shrines or portals to shrines, but that doesn't really make much sense based on the footage we've seen of them. I actually think that BotW 2 won't even have shrines, there may just be an occasional minidungeon that is integrated into the overworld. There just isn't much of a use for them considering that classic dungeons are likely coming back.

If this is the case, I'm wondering how we will collect health and stamina upgrades. Perhaps we will go back to collecting 4 pieces of heart/pieces of stamina to upgrade. Hell, it's possible that we start the game with full health and stamina, considering this is a direct sequel.

If this is the case, I'm wondering how we will collect health and stamina upgrades. Perhaps we will go back to collecting 4 pieces of heart/pieces of stamina to upgrade. Hell, it's possible that we start the game with full health and stamina, considering this is a direct sequel.
I wonder if Nintendo will just say that the infection from the new malice weakened Link so much that he barely survived, which gives an excuse/reason to drop our hearts back down and stamina back down.

Last edited:
Yeah some fucky wucky's gonna happen at the beginning of the game like all sequels ever and Link is back at his standard heart count.
He's gonna try to steal a thing and the shop owner is gonna be all *zzzaaaaaaaaappppp* and take his hearts down to threee

I wonder if Nintendo will just say that the infection from the new malice weakened Link so much that he barely survive and gives a excuse/reason to drop our hearts back down and stamina back down.
This is most likely what will happen, yeah.

I don't know of any direct sequel where this happens.
[/QUOTE]
I'm only putting it out there since the Zelda team seems very keen on being innovative and challenging Zelda norms. It would be pretty interesting to have a Zelda game that is balanced around you having full health and stamina from the start.

Link might have full health and stamina during the prologue, then he nearly gets eaten by Ganondorf's Malice and he's back to three hearts and one wheel.

I'm just hoping for a BotW save bonus that will let us carry over something from a finished file. I think just the weapons and items will be enough given that they break quickly anyway.

Also, I want more outfits functionally identical to the Hylian Tunic but look different.

Link might have full health and stamina during the prologue, then he nearly gets eaten by Ganondorf's Malice and he's back to three hearts and one wheel.
This is actually what I've been expecting. Maybe even like Shenmue I going into II, where you have the exact same build as your save from the previous game but an early event occurs that takes you down to start-of-the-game specs

Kinda crazy to think this is now the longest we’ve waited for a Zelda game and it’s a sequel.

I wonder if the Mogma might return, if there's a focus on underground like we expect. It would make a lot of sense if they had became completely subterranean.

Not that I dislike the Mogma, Kikwi, or Parella, but it would be more compelling if tgey establish that those species went extinct.

I'm just hoping for a BotW save bonus that will let us carry over something from a finished file. I think just the weapons and items will be enough given that they break quickly anyway.

Also, I want more outfits functionally identical to the Hylian Tunic but look different.
Personally, I think this is very unlikely, I think it'll be a clean slate.

All the footage we've seen so far is the prologue.
When they find Ganondorf, Link gets merked and we play the rest of the game as... Tingle.

He's gonna try to steal a thing and the shop owner is gonna be all *zzzaaaaaaaaappppp* and take his hearts down to threee
links-awakening-shoplift-sign.png

I know that the BotW sequel will probably have us repair the Master Sword, but one of my hopes is that it gets permanently destroyed at the end of the game. They should do this as a symbolic gesture to let go of it even if later games are set before the Wild era.

Because honestly, the OoT/ALttP-style Zelda games hyping it up as a major plot point held those games back, and even though BotW makes it optional, I find that the Master Sword just isn't fun to use even then.

I know that the BotW sequel will probably have us repair the Master Sword, but one of my hopes is that it gets permanently destroyed at the end of the game. They should do this as a symbolic gesture to let go of it even if later games are set before the Wild era.

Because honestly, the OoT/ALttP-style Zelda games hyping it up as a major plot point held those games back, and even though BotW makes it optional, I find that the Master Sword just isn't fun to use even then.
Its probably the most iconic weapon in gaming. I doubt that it gets permanently destroyed.

Sidelined? Maybe.

Its probably the most iconic weapon in gaming. I doubt that it gets permanently destroyed.

Sidelined? Maybe.

It's not that new of a concept; the Wind Saga has the Master Sword permanently sacrificed in that timeline.

Even then, I guess they can find ways to incorporate the Master Sword into the "weapons as resources" system better. I feel repairing it with Master Ore would be great.

BoTW 2 could be the end of a timeline, the ending of the eternal curse where no master sword is needed anymore. They can go a lot of ways

Not showing it at all in the year it was supposed to release would be super weird. It releases 6-9 months from now. I think it's time, and if it does appear I might cry on-stream - but if it doesn't, I will.

nahh i'm a grown-ass man and will probably just bonk my piano real hard and turn the negative energy into something constructive.

also if it appears I'll also bonk my piano and turn my glee into something constructive.

guess I'll bonk my piano tomorrow =P .

Not showing it at all in the year it was supposed to release would be super weird. It releases 6-9 months from now. I think it's time, and if it does appear I might cry on-stream - but if it doesn't, I will.
Yeah BotW1 got its title reveal ~9 months before release. It got a huge blowout because it was an in-person E3 and it was a reveal of an entirely different kind of Zelda game.

We don't need a huge blowout at this moment - it being a sequel, we kind of know what to expect with respect to rudimentary game mechanics and open-world exploration. It's everything else like the title, story scenario, new locations, new powers, new faces etc. that we don't know. Some of those can be dropped in a trailer tomorrow to drive speculation until next year.

The idea that they can keep holding Zelda back until closer and closer to release is starting to feel like a meme. It's true that this sequel doesn't "need" a prolonged marketing cycle, but at the same time, I think they should start to drum up excitement for concrete aspects and mysteries of this game, to generate questions that will be answered over time.

I am super excited for tomorrow, the possibility that we have a chance to get either A) the title to BOTW 2 or B) more gameplay/another longer trailer is going to make it very hard to sleep tonight.

I also realize that more than likely we may not get anything, but that is the magic of the day before the direct, the possibilities!

I'm more optimistic that we'll get some BOTW2 news in this Direct than any other Direct, even the e3 2021 Direct when we actually got another trailer.

I honestly hope they do get rid of the Master Sword on a permanent basis. And the Tri-Force while we're at it. And Zelda being a princess and Link being a 'chosen one'. They are real boilerplate fantasy tropes that the series has moved way beyond. The secret spices of Zelda to me are the stuff that stands out as being weird against that fantasy backdrop - the hookshot, bombs, boomerangs, and recently: a motorcycle.

Will the sequel have a real soundtrack this time?

The first game already have a soundtrack. 5 full discs.

Did you reach any of the Sacred Beasts and engaged with them and the descendant of the Champion ?
Daruke’s memory theme that was also used for a short trailer ?
Both final battle themes ?
Kass‘s themes and interpretations in the DLC ?

Also : having a more discret soundtrack while exploring was part of the game. Be in the wilderness, feel it, hear it, fear it, respect it.

Sometimes I wonder if people ever played BotW when talking about its soundtrack.

Last edited:
So it will be just as disappointing as Breath of the Wild 1 than I take it.:cry:

I miss classic Zelda soo much.
BotW has a top tier soundtrack and sound design sorry

no avatar quote pls lol

Will the sequel have a real soundtrack this time?

The original OST is absolutely brilliant. I love the classic Zelda themes but BOTW's felt mature and sophisticated. If that's not a real soundtrack then I don't know what is.

But I suspect you're referring to the way the soundtrack was implemented in the game. That's a scene direction issue, not a soundtrack issue. The actual tracks in the OST are excellent, even though you probably don't have as many opportunities as previous Zeldas to listen to the tracks in-game.

Can we just applaud Nintendo for their leak control. How on earth they've managed to keep the name under wraps this long i've no idea. and even now, 6 hours out it's still a secret!

Assuming the last trailer theme we heard is representative of the rest of the soundtrack, I do feel the soundtrack of BotW2 will likely be more bombastic and adventurous than BotW's. We'll see tomorrow I guess maybe.

Assuming the last trailer theme we heard is representative of the rest of the soundtrack, I do feel the soundtrack of BotW2 will likely be more bombastic and adventurous than BotW's. We'll see tomorrow I guess maybe.
did you forget the 2017 trailer music

Botw has never lived up to the (storywise) hype of that trailer

I have to wonder, what makes you dislike them? To me they were the highlight of earlier Zelda games. It is where the best puzzles and distinct themes came forward.

I can't speak for that person, but I prefer the shrines, at least in theory.
Breath of the Wild's gameplay loop was so addictive because it was snappy. You were never doing the same thing for long. You could spend a hundred hours in Hyrule and the pace would never lag because every quest, every shrine/beast, every journey to any destination, every nugget of gameplay, everything, is shorter than 40 minutes at the high end.
In previous Zelda games, I'd be having the time of my life exploring the overworld, uncovering secrets, figuring out cryptic riddles, etc., and then suddenly I'm in a dungeon. And I have to navigate through a labyrinthine network of rooms, fighting scrub enemies and shooting eye-shaped switches for the next hour. And I better do it in that single sitting, because if I go away and come back, I'll never remember where I was or what I was doing.

I feel like the shrines had the strongest puzzle content in series history, and they did it without killing the pace the or demanding a time commitment. The divine beasts took my favourite Zelda dungeon elements (whole-dungeon puzzles like the Water Temple, which, actually, is my favourite traditional Zelda dungeon), and cut out the fat. Vah Naboris rules.
I like that there were few enemies there, too. Being assaulted by a bunch of fuckin bats while you're trying to push a block isn't enjoyable to me. Zelda enemies generally aren't challenging, they're just a waste of time.

Shrines did leave something to be desired in terms of theming and atmosphere, sure. And I think their clean design makes the solutions to puzzles a bit too obvious because there's no environmental redirects - IE, if there's a pool of water, it's important and you need to use that pool of water for something. But the theory behind them is rock solid. Finding a shrine was like finding a wonderful little treat, and that can only happen if there's 120 of them dotted around the landscape.
Now, if you take Breath of the Wild, and you add, like, more Divine Beast-sized "dungeons" that are themed to the environment and have unique music and all of that? I wouldn't object. But not a the expense of the shrines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom