• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hateno is the true waifu of BotW towns. Such a vibe.
BotW should have had a dynamic title screen. Have it so that if someone visits a new area, that'll be included in the 'slide deck' of locales.

96926bebbc0d4cb1f8ad4d6f5a5dc27d7234aa1f.gifv

b280381a8c86228b331760ee8966619790da154a.gifv

Jeez I look at these and it's like I'm seeing concept art of a 'Zelda town'. This art style, man...

BotW should have had a dynamic title screen. Have it so that if someone visits a new area, that'll be included in the 'slide deck' of locales.

96926bebbc0d4cb1f8ad4d6f5a5dc27d7234aa1f.gifv

b280381a8c86228b331760ee8966619790da154a.gifv

Jeez I look at these and it's like I'm seeing concept art of a 'Zelda town'. This art style, man...
The title screen and credits sequence are head scratchers for sure xD .

Yeah, for all the appreciation I have for SS' art BotW is such an enormous leap in both scale and focus. It's also sophisticated enough that, even though there have been plenty of copycats over the years, they never look as classy.

The time between SS and BotW will be less than BotW to BotW2 (not accounting for ALBW or COVID), so I hope they take this foundation and run with it - esp. on the fronts of asset variety and quantity.

I really thought a lot about how I would want a Hard Mode to look like. The first game already has so many systems that could provide a really nice challenge without feeling tedious. All of these could also be toggable options to design your game to your liking Γ  la Dragon Quest XI.

Hard Mode Options / Changes:

• enemy health regeneration
  • golden enemies schouldn't just be leveled up Silver enemies. They should have around the same health as black enemies but they should be way more aggressive from the beginning and are immune to elemental dmg. They should also have more moves
  • enemies have a rage mode. Under 10-20% health they hit harder, faster, move faster and don't lose aggro until they are dead. This should promote a more strategic playstyle without having to rely on health regen
  • more enemy placement changes. I loved the idea of the Lynel on the Plateau. I really thought we would see more of this. But it wasn't as much as I hoped for
  • certain weapons are harder to come by. Like arrows/ elemental weapons/ arrows/ bomb arrows /ancient arrows
  • limited healing options / inventory. You have to plan ahead
  • you aren't able to respec. You have to live with your decisions
  • your footsteps are louder. You have to rely on gear or potions for effective stealth gameplay
  • rupees are harder to come by. The economy was pretty busted later on in the game
  • you get more damage. Pretty self explanatory
  • mobs do more damage
  • a glass canon mode where you get triple dmg but also do triple dmg
  • enhanced aggro range from enemies, they also see you from farther away
  • marked camp leaders. These give the mobs around the camp buffs. Kill these first
More Ideas:
  • Can only eat food or change clothes in certain locations (villages, campfires, stables) - stolen from @catonkatonk
  • only potions can heal you, food only gives you buffs
  • no fairies
  • different toggable dmg multipliers like you get more fire damge but less ice dmg for example
  • nights are darker and mobs do more damage
  • realtime drinking/eating like in Skyward Sword - stolen from @balgajo

I really thought a lot about how I would want a Hard Mode to look like. The first game already has so many systems that could provide a really nice challenge without feeling tedious. All of these could also be toggable options to design your game to your liking Γ  la Dragon Quest XI.

OCnKymc.gif

I mean like I said. You could choose your hardmode options. If you don't like it don't choose it. Dragon Quest 11 is seriously one of the best games when it comes to hardmode design. Like you would have to choose at least one option for it to count as a hard mode. Thats it.

I mean like I said. You could choose your hardmode options. If you don't like it don't choose it. Dragon Quest 11 is seriously one of the best games when it comes to hardmode design. Like you would have to choose at least one option for it to count as a hard mode. Thats it.

Gotta be honest, I actually think that all the other ideas in that post are really good but DQXI's draconian quests are mostly pretty shite.

Gotta be honest, I actually think that all the other ideas in that post are really good but DQXI's draconian quests are mostly pretty shite.
Of course. They shouldn't copy the options just the system itself which was really good. They are totally different games.

I'm all for the idea of limiting eating. I've heard suggestions for a stomach mechanic so you can't just spam apples.

But I think what is more important really is making it so that you can only eat while standing on terra firma. No more spamming stamina regen while climbing.

Of course, this would mean that any stamina regen is useless so I'd replace it with an endurance up buff that reduces the rate of consumption of stamina, much light stamina potion did in Skyward Sword.

Another thing I think threw master mode off is that because of the extra HP of enemies, a lot of environmental attacks weren't effective with regenerating health. I think I'd up the damage from environmental attacks accordingly so that tutorial bit where you push the boulder to flatten the bokoblins near the fountain still works. Of course, it cuts both ways, the boosted environmental damage affects you as well. Make sure you really are well clear before detonating exploding barrels.

Disable drinking and eating in the pause menu like Twilight Princess would be good for me.

If my memory is not failing me it was the first one to do this. The other ones it wasn't in the menu but the time paused when using fairies and drinking potions.

Sorry I don't read the thread regularly but is there a common thought on what the game is going to be in terms of the sky environment and how the original World will work and tie in with it?

Thanks.

I'm kind of wondering if they go for a majora's mask thing on a massive scale. Overworld runs on a 7 day (168 minutes) time schedule that you reset via the sacred realm, and monsters are reset via that instead of a blood moon. World ends when the castle pierces the heavens or whatever.
Certainly suspect that the 'RDR2 inspiration' is to do with day to day NPC behaviour, which is really detailed in that game.

I'm a huge fan of how Supergiant handles difficulty as a risk/reward system and I think that'd be neat to see more of. Not sure if that could easily apply to this discussion (since I'm joining late) but that's an implementation of "build-a-difficulty" that works well.

I'm kind of wondering if they go for a majora's mask thing on a massive scale. Overworld runs on a 7 day (168 minutes) time schedule that you reset via the sacred realm, and monsters are reset via that instead of a blood moon. World ends when the castle pierces the heavens or whatever.
Certainly suspect that the 'RDR2 inspiration' is to do with day to day NPC behaviour, which is really detailed in that game.
I imagine that they’re trying to make unique experiences, and 4 months ago in the delay announcement Aonuma said they’re creating new experiences. Aonuma also said they wanted to make a sequel because they had so many DLC ideas. I have doubts that they’d make the game revolve around a previously used game mechanic when they have so many new ideas.

I imagine that they’re trying to make unique experiences, and 4 months ago in the delay announcement Aonuma said they’re creating new experiences. Aonuma also said they wanted to make a sequel because they had so many DLC ideas. I have doubts that they’d make the game revolve around a previously used game mechanic when they have so many new ideas.
Well perhaps, but they could be throwing in ideas from a lot of old games too. Like diving down from Islands in the sky.

Well perhaps, but they could be throwing in ideas from a lot of old games too. Like diving down from Islands in the sky.
Yeah, that seems to be an idea they can actually execute on with improved hardware. In Skyward Sword we couldn't really dive to the ground below, the next area had to load, but hopefully that won't be the case for BOTW2.

I just got a push notification from some outlet called GIANT FREAKIN ROBOT claiming there was a new BOTW2 trailer with co-op gameplay. Ofcourse, I didn't fall for it, but I almost wanted to click on it just to see what their justification is for such a ridiculous claim.

I just got a push notification from some outlet called GIANT FREAKIN ROBOT claiming there was a new BOTW2 trailer with co-op gameplay. Ofcourse, I didn't fall for it, but I almost wanted to click on it just to see what their justification is for such a ridiculous claim.

It seems like Switch modding has gotten crazy lately, there's online multiplayer BotW mods being demo-ed on some popular streamer channels these days. Probably clickbait based off that.

An Odyssey multiplayer mod has been going around for awhile and was just released to the public as well, it's an interesting time

• golden enemies schouldn't just be leveled up Silver enemies. They should have around the same health as black enemies but they should be way more aggressive from the beginning and are immune to elemental dmg. They should also have more moves
  • enemies have a rage mode. Under 10-20% health they hit harder, faster, move faster and don't lose aggro until they are dead. This should promote a more strategic playstyle without having to rely on health regen
  • more enemy placement changes. I loved the idea of the Lynel on the Plateau. I really thought we would see more of this. But it wasn't as much as I hoped for
  • certain weapons are harder to come by. Like arrows/ elemental weapons/ arrows/ bomb arrows /ancient arrows
  • limited healing options / inventory. You have to plan ahead
  • you aren't able to respec. You have to live with your decisions
  • your footsteps are louder. You have to rely on gear or potions for effective stealth gameplay
  • rupees are harder to come by. The economy was pretty busted later on in the game
  • you get more damage. Pretty self explanatory
  • mobs do more damage
  • a glass canon mode where you get triple dmg but also do triple dmg
  • enhanced aggro range from enemies, they also see you from farther away
  • marked camp leaders. This give the mobs around the camp buffs. Kill these first
More Ideas:
  • Can only eat food or change clothes in certain locations (villages, campfires, stables) - stolen from @catonkatonk
  • only potions can heal you, food only gives you buffs
  • no fairies
  • different toggable dmg multipliers like you get more fire damge but less ice dmg for example
  • nights are darker and mobs do more damage
  • realtime drinking/eating like in Skyward Sword - stolen from @balgajo

I hope in-game options for hard mode, in the next game.
Heck, you can, in the "normal mode":
  • reduce your heart counter as short as you want
  • reduce your stamina bar as short as you want
  • have low quality defence clothes
  • use low quality weapons

And you can still aim for the 100%

But you have to play again the game for the hard mode, that introduces basically sponge enemies.
They could simply insert a "the end is near" villager, that unlock (or lock) the apocalypse when you talk to him.

If I have one wish for BOTW2, is that its climax tops Ocarina's. The Ganondorf Fight - > Ganon's Tower Escape - > Ganon Fight has just never been top and I wish to see it be.

Hard mode:
Can only eat food or change clothes in certain locations (villages, campfires, stables).

That's it, that's the mode.
I really like this one.

With the gathering and cooking system, which are both great, Breath of the Wild can be cleared via sheer brute force if you go into battles and dangerous areas with Link's pockets stuffed with food.

Also, that would make Breath of the Wild 2 the Dark Souls of the Zelda franchise. :p

That's it.

I'm making a The Legend of Zelda ST... again.

Hopefully I'll complete it this time.

We are now 405 Days without any News or Updates about the Sequel to the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (if you count the Delay Video from March 29th, then they are 143 Days without any News)

When do you expect the next News? September Direct? The Game Awards? If it really releases Spring 2023, they should really start to show something News by now? Or are you expecting an other Delay?

Also here a nice Video from MonsterMaze, where he summarizes all news, updates and rumors that we have so far (was posted early June 2022)

When is it finally Time for us Zelda Fans?

We are now 405 Days without any News or Updates about the Sequel to the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (if you count the Delay Video from March 29th, then they are 143 Days without any News)

When do you expect the next News? September Direct? The Game Awards? If it really releases Spring 2023, they should really start to show something News by now? Or are you expecting an other Delay?

Also here a nice Video from MonsterMaze, where he summarizes all news, updates and rumors that we have so far (was posted early June 2022)

When is it finally Time for us Zelda Fans?

All I know is that Splatoon fans will come complaining that there's no multiplayer mode.

sorry im a little disappointed in the quality of discourse on this forum lately :p

Anyways, if they still want to release this in Spring they'll show it after Splatoon releases on September 9th. If they do not show it in September I'm officially calling it a marketing disaster.

All I know is that Splatoon fans will come complaining that there's no multiplayer mode.

sorry im a little disappointed in the quality of discourse on this forum lately :p

Anyways, if they still want to release this in Spring they'll show it after Splatoon releases on September 9th. If they do not show it in September I'm officially calling it a marketing disaster.
not showing a game in great detail 6-9 months before a potential release is maybe disappointing for enthusiasts but it certainly is not a marketing disaster. Zelda is one of the biggest singleplayer IP's in the world right now.

not showing a game in great detail 6-9 months before a potential release is maybe disappointing for enthusiasts but it certainly is not a marketing disaster. Zelda is one of the biggest singleplayer IP's in the world right now.
Should've added that the game won't sell any less if they didn't show it, but for me personally - as someone looking forward to news since E3 2019 - it wouldn't be a positive experience.

I wonder what sorts of settlements we could see above the clouds? (Art by Jasqreate)
media%2FFP8uGLOagAAiEVf.jpg

I've been playing Minish Cap recently and this art reminds me of the Wind Tribe, there are some choice quotes from that game that have me daydreaming about BotW2 and possible implications.
"We have been watching, and we know all that happens on your surface world. We know a small boy collects elements to lift the curse from a princess. We know of Vaati and his evil acts... The winds tell us these things."
"I've never seen a surface dweller walk on clouds before! You must be quite pure of heart!"
The people who built the Wind Ruins. They now live above the clouds, suspended by their own magic ability to control the wind.

Considering Fujibayashi directed Minish Cap, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild - my headcanon is that he really wants an expansive sky overworld and this is his time to shine lol

If we get a September direct, which I am leaning towards yes they will have one, then I truly think we will get botw info there. Not expecting a full blow-out, but I do think we will get the title and hopefully a legit release date. I can see a bigger blow-out either around the Februaryish direct or a month before release like Xenoblade and Splatoon had

Here's a question I've not seen before, in BotW, ignoring Link's magical pockets, all of his current equipment is shown stored on his body, but in the trailer we see Link with a shield with a giant fire breathing stone head on it, so is that really just going to poke out from his back when he's not using it?
An alternative option could be the stone head isn't a permanent item, and is instead a common object you can grab (with a magic hand?) to place temporarily on top of your shield, or maybe Link can magically generate stone heads through some other means.

Here's a question I've not seen before, in BotW, ignoring Link's magical pockets, all of his current equipment is shown stored on his body, but in the trailer we see Link with a shield with a giant fire breathing stone head on it, so is that really just going to poke out from his back when he's not using it?
An alternative option could be the stone head isn't a permanent item, and is instead a common object you can grab (with a magic hand?) to place temporarily on top of your shield, or maybe Link can magically generate stone heads through some other means.
I always imagined the head sticking out of Links back lolol it is either a shield or a weapon, which both are present on Links model in botw. Maybe it shrinks down like a few other weapons seem to do to better fit on Link?

I have really high hopes for the game, the Zelda series have always been such a high quality IP even at their worst times. The stakes are especially high this time now that BotW skyrocketed the series to even higher heights, the world is watching.

I believe the team knows and I believe they can impress us once again, BoTW while being an awesome game always felt like a playground to me that had way much more potential and they themselves said they wanted to explore this world even further.

It took what, 5 years? Ofcourse the game is going to win us over all again. They probably had so many ideas they needed way more time for everything (and Covid I know) but that's also 5 years full of potential new ideas and improvements on things already made, without having to make a new engine.

Not only that but aren't we due for a new Mario game as well? This might be the start of the Switch era all over again.

I always imagined the head sticking out of Links back lolol it is either a shield or a weapon, which both are present on Links model in botw. Maybe it shrinks down like a few other weapons seem to do to better fit on Link?
It's held on the left hand so I expect it's used with the lock on + shield parry input.
But the design has a circular wooden looking section, then something narrower extending out of that, followed by the stone head, and also looks like it could be used as a normal shield if that head wasn't there, so that's why I'm thinking it can be separated in some way, but there might just be a way to have it emerge magically from the shield.

I'm definitely curious about the dragon head attachment, the shield itself looks like a wooden shield so my initial guess was this being some kind of weapon fusion system, or maybe just limited to shields.

In BotW you could only inflict elemental damage (fire, ice, electric) with arrows or weapons. If they add this ability to the shields with attachments then one could chain attacks without switching weapons for example shooting cold with a shield followed immediately by flameblade, taking advantage of the 3x damage after you freeze an enemy.

lolshield.png

BotW_Wooden_Shield_Model.png

I'm definitely curious about the dragon head attachment, the shield itself looks like a wooden shield so my initial guess was this being some kind of weapon fusion system, or maybe just limited to shields.

In BotW you could only inflict elemental damage (fire, ice, electric) with arrows or weapons. If they add this ability to the shields with attachments then one could chain attacks without switching weapons for example shooting cold with a shield followed immediately by flameblade, taking advantage of the 3x damage after you freeze an enemy.

lolshield.png

BotW_Wooden_Shield_Model.png
I really hope that all the re-used assets here are either a red herring or starting gear that gets replaced with genuinely new stuff. This shot has a reused shield, mostly identical Champion's Tunic (minus the little bit of leather) and Hylian Pants + Shoes, quiver and bow. I'm not going to doom about this game just yet because the sky stuff looks tremendous, but I sincerely hope the game has a strong identity of it's own.

I think without a doubt the next major Delay will have a Zelda trailer, date (maybe just Month), and title announcement. I'm thinking September, but Nintendo has been switching things up this year.

I really hope that all the re-used assets here are either a red herring or starting gear that gets replaced with genuinely new stuff. This shot has a reused shield, mostly identical Champion's Tunic (minus the little bit of leather) and Hylian Pants + Shoes, quiver and bow. I'm not going to doom about this game just yet because the sky stuff looks tremendous, but I sincerely hope the game has a strong identity of it's own.
Just rewatched the botw trailers and saw that Link was basically dressed the same in most shots with the Champions tunic and hylian pants. Some scenes have him in flashes of the warm dublet, the armor set, or one instance of the worn out clothes. Would make sense that they hide a lot of extra stuff in the trailers to be able to surprise players. That being said, would love the climbing gear to come back as I mainly exclusively play botw wearing that set dyed beige lolol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom