• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think the Zelda team woulda learned that by now. *coughironbootscough*

Iron boots at least toggled between two mutually exclusive states, floating and sinking. Swimming faster and swimming up waterfalls were strictly additive mechanics. If I’m not swimming up the waterfall I’m pointlessly treading water or swimming into a wall. Didn’t have to be a toggle thing at all.

But yeah Nintendo please stop having these painful ‘navigate through the menu to toggle’ mechanics.

Iron boots at least toggled between two mutually exclusive states, floating and sinking. Swimming faster and swimming up waterfalls were strictly additive mechanics. If I’m not swimming up the waterfall I’m pointlessly treading water or swimming into a wall. Didn’t have to be a toggle thing at all.

But yeah Nintendo please stop having these painful ‘navigate through the menu to toggle’ mechanics.
I disliked Zora armour a bit, but swimming in BOTW was awful, it was simply too slow. I always just cryonis-ed my way across water, which seemed a bit silly. Hopefully you can swim faster in BOTW2.

Someone once brought up the idea of sea mounts and now I'll be disappointed if we don't get them.
Yeah, it would be useful to make them like sand seals. They’re there to help you get around faster, but have to be rented or caught. Also, they could probably make increase base swimming speed by 1.5-1.75x and it would actually encourage swimming when getting a mount is not possible.

Speaking of the Zora armor - horrible mechanics behind that one. It slowed down the experience so much having to swap armors just for going up waterfalls, then back to your preferred defensive gear when you were done.

I love the idea of armors allowing you an option to negate or limit specific types of damage, emphasize your preferred type of weapon or damage, or something more superficial like the glow in the dark. Locking an entire traversal mechanic behind the armor was trash. Hope it never returns.
thats one complaint I don't get. It is upgradeable and is defensive wise not even that bad.

If this slowed things considerably down for you I really don't know why or how.

saying this is worse then the iron boots or glider shoes is really not truthful.

First of all it is mandatory for exactly one part of the game. The attack on Vah Ruta.

Second of all it is a game about preparation and choice. While the game is all about menu toggling none of that stuff is ever mandatory. It's your choice really. The game doesn't even punish you for pausing it.

You can also have the same speed benefits by cooking buff food if you really want to so it really isn't even that bad.

I don't remember being bothered by Zora armor in BOTW. The thing that really bothered me was having to interrupt the game(even with fast menu) everytime a weapon was broken.

Hover boots switch was never a problem for me because it was my default equipment in the N64. 3ds version ruined everything with that low traction animation so I didn't want to use it anymore.

So, I watched High Score on Netflix, a documentary on video game history, and it discussed how Miyamoto was inspired by torii, Shinto shrine gates, for Star Fox - specifically the fox connection, and how the Arwing moving through arches reminded him of walking through those gates.
1746ab89cc4c31a6-600x338.jpg

And as we know - BotW2 already prominently features torii gates in the Sky Islands.
2ioNbaO.jpg

Breath-Of-The-Wild-2-paraglider-2000x1270-1.jpg

I feel like they're gonna ramp up the wind traversal explains the upgraded paraglider and its longer streamers, and we'll be flying through gates from island to island. Also a lot of puzzle opportunities there. One question I have is if the sky islands can all be travelled to from one another, across the entirety of Hyrule i.e. if I can go from Gerudo Desert to Zora's Domain through the skies alone. If so then I can imagine a very fast paraglider travelling system through gates, or flying mounts.

Last edited:
thats one complaint I don't get. It is upgradeable und is defensive wise not even that bad.

If this slowed things considerably down for you I really don't know why or how.
First of all it is mandatory for exactly one part of the game. The attack on Vah Ruta.

Second of all it is a game about preparation and choice. While the game is all about menu toggling none of that stuff is ever mandatory. It's your choice really. The game doesn't even punish you for pausing it.

I wondered whether to respond because I wasn't looking for a debate. Also please ignore Iron Boots commentary as that's a different discussion.

"I don't get" how you can't sympathize with the complaint even a bit. Firstly, whether the traversal up waterfalls is mandatory or not is irrelevant. There are multiple places in the world with waterfalls, and the alternative to swimming up them is either a long roundabout way through the environment, or a slow trek up using cryonis if you're determined. Swimming up them quickly is a reward for your progression, not some clever tool you should need to weigh the pros and cons against. Can you name any other form of traversal that is tied to opening a menu, equipping an armor and then closing out? There isn't one in the game*. Your glider is available on jump, climb is available when you walk up to a wall, Revali's Gale is a press-and-hold, and I view this as just another similar tool. Context buttons should be provided where possible, and being next to a waterfall in the water is literally everything the game needs to know about player state to enable one. The Sheikah runes require a few more clicks and some are used to aid in mobility, but they're more readily available than navigating your menu for a specific armor. Your Master Cycle Zero, the epitome of unnecessary, is even a quick access rune.

Even if it doesn't materially extend your gameplay time, it does slow you down in a way that's incongruous with the rest of the game's mobility - I do not care if it's essential or not. And don't misunderstand me. This game is literally my favorite game of all time, but this also means I think about it a lot and it's subject to far more detailed (and petty) criticisms. Since early on I've viewed Breath of the Wild as the quintessential 'greater than the sum of it's parts' game. It's also been the reason why I'm so excited for the future of the franchise, as it feels like there's incredible room for growth and improvement. This waterfall thing is near the bottom of the list of improvements, but I just felt like making a quick comment when it came to mind.

* The closest argument might be the climbing outfit because of the massive boost it gives on climbing efficiency, but that's rarely the difference between being able to reach something or not. It falls closer in line to the Zora suit being tied to swimming faster, which I think is fine and was never really the foundation of my complaint.

Edit: You know what else was shit? Horses. Such care went into their movement and control, but because you had keep your horse in earshot they went entirely unused for 90% of my game. And you know Nintendo heard and agree'd with the criticism otherwise they wouldn't have given us the Ancient Bridle. Wonder if they'll make sure it's part of the base game next time.

Last edited:
So, I watched High Score on Netflix, a documentary on video game history, and it discussed how Miyamoto was inspired by torii, Shinto shrine gates, for Star Fox - specifically the fox connection, and how the Arwing moving through arches reminded him of walking through those gates.

And as we know - BotW2 already prominently features torii gates in the Sky Islands.
2ioNbaO.jpg

I feel like they're gonna ramp up the wind traversal explains the upgraded paraglider and its longer streamers, and we'll be flying through gates from island to island. Also a lot of puzzle opportunities there. One question I have is if the sky islands can all be travelled to from one another, across the entirety of Hyrule i.e. if I can go from Gerudo Desert to Zora's Domain through the skies alone. If so then I can imagine a very fast paraglider travelling system through gates, or flying mounts.

I was also thinking the streamers may indicate more prominence in wind direction. Sometimes it was hard to tell if the wind was effecting you or not in Botw, so I'm sure this is a way to remedy that. Maybe there will be a wind arm power as well?

Alright, inspired by the Hot Takes ™️ over in the Twitter Speculation thread:

I wouldn't mind most dungeons being Hyrule Castle style - i.e. a place that feels like a place and not like a puzzle. They did some neat things grounding puzzles in the environment there: opening gates with cryonis, freeing monsters in the castle dungeon by hitting levers, opening passages by bombing walls or shooting eyes, discovering secret hallways with magnesis...

I'm not a big fan of continuing the "yeah, it's a test so it looks artificial" design after the 120 we got in BotW.

Speaking of Hyrule castle, I agree that it is an amazing dungeon, but I dont know why after like 900 play hours im still geting lost every time I entered in the castle, its really a big maze, even more complicated than the 3 labrynths and the lost woods.

Last edited:
Well, since there isn't an official Zelda thread, I'll ask my question here. I've finished all the mainline 3D Zelda games, and am looking to get into some of the top down ones. Any recommendations?
(Also I've already played Link's Awakening)

Well, since there isn't an official Zelda thread, I'll ask my question here. I've finished all the mainline 3D Zelda games, and am looking to get into some of the top down ones. Any recommendations?
(Also I've already played Link's Awakening)
A Link to the Past is really good, and a lot like OoT. Minish Cap is a lot of fun, it’s a smaller but impressive quest. I never played A Link Between Worlds, but arguably that’s the best, modern, top-down Zelda game. I never played the first 2 Zelda games so I can’t speak to them. Phantom Hourglass is OK (for Zelda). Spirit Tracks is one of the best DS games, in my opinion. I’d go on, but I don’t feel like it.

You'd think the Zelda team woulda learned that by now. *coughironbootscough*

What's there to learn? Getting tools to enhance traversal whether it be through items or armor is a fundamental mechanic of the franchise. The iron boots in the original OoT were annoying because you constantly had to switch to them by going in the main menu. You couldn't progress otherwise. In BOTW, I used the Zora armor to go up waterfalls maybe a half dozen times and never once did I feel the need to switch out armor after every time I went up one. There's simply no point unless you are constantly afraid a Lynel is going to jump out of the water.

2ioNbaO.jpg

Torii gates for traversal is a good idea actually. Like, you'd have to unlock both of them, but once you do so, you can freely enter one gate, and end up in the other.

I've mentioned in the thread before that traveling from island to island has always been a head-scratcher for me.

Something I don't agree with is when people say "Sky islands? They've done that already, I want something fresh."

Like, "sky islands" in SS was done so poorly (there's more or less nothing to actually explore in the sky) that it in my opinion really doesn't count as a try at sky islands as an overworld concept. So I think of this as the "first time" they've done sky islands.

Something I don't agree with is when people say "Sky islands? They've done that already, I want something fresh."

Like, "sky islands" in SS was done so poorly (there's more or less nothing to actually explore in the sky) that it in my opinion really doesn't count as a try at sky islands as an overworld concept. So I think of this as the "first time" they've done sky islands.
I loved Skyward Sword, I loved the sky exploration, and I still agree with this. It's why I'm jazzed for sky islands in BotW2, because if I enjoyed what they did in Skyward as much as I did, imagine how I'll react to them doing it well. 🤯

I was rewatching Monster Maze's video on the Zonai towers, and pulled the page from Creating the Champion about their concept art so I could see it for myself. That book has super pretty concept art.

He notes that the towers in the final game are totally different, much shorter with more standard architecture. No elaborate spiral dragon design or circular platform.

BookReaderImages.php

I agree with Monster Maze, I can easily see these returning in the sequel. They can replace the Shiekah Towers as fast travel points and serve as gates to the Sky - maybe even between the Sky, Surface, and Underground. After all - these specific Dragon towers did not exist in the previous game. My assumption is that they would rise from beneath the surface.

I also think it's a representation of the phasing ability that Link has, where he 'dives' upwards and through something - like how this dragon pillar is "in-between" the underground and the sky (if you assume its "tail" is beneath the ground). He is also surrounding by a helix swirl like the dragon pattern concept art above, which is a neat touch.

E3844JdUcAEifC1.png

I like the idea of Link communing with the dragons (which, by the way, are also literal "Divine Beasts) and maybe learning from them? Getting The Last Airbender vibes.

Lol avatar vibes go harder since both Link and Aang vanished for 100 years when the world needed them the most lololol

I think they could do away with ground based fast travel points and just have you skydive down to wherever you want. You'd need some fast travel to places in the sky realm though
Yeah that's not a bad idea. But sky islands will have to be over every single region which may not be the case necessarily.

I guess you could just glide to a different region from a sky island in a nearby region, but that's a lot of gliding.

Botw 2 will probably release around March next year, it will be around 6 months before release in September. They then go on a hiatus until like January/February so i doubt they won't show the game this year. I do believe they could wait for next year for the exact date and title and just give a timeframe and first official trailer in September. They will have a longer marketing plan than their other titles.

Yeah I agree that September makes sense for a first real trailer vs the teasers we have gotten until now. Hopefully that trailer will include a more concrete release date as well (which should also include the title lol don't see a release date being published before the title lol). So I guess the question is when the September Direct will be. They tend to do it a week before Tokyo Game Show in the past but that is also Splatoon release week. Maybe we end up getting it the week before and it becomes an August direct bc it is Aug 31st lol

I really really really want full flight in the game. I want to ride a Loftwing again or some winged animal anyway. But with those Star Fox gates, glider and the time reversed water drip does it seem like flying would negate these things?

The distance between some of the islands is so vast I'm really having hard time imagining gliding between them as we know it. Be it the current stamina system or the speed of the glider itself I feel like some traversal functionality would have to evolve.

I have a few arguments for how full flight could coexist with these abilities.

1 - If there is a divine divide between the sky realm(what ever its called) and Hyrule I could imagine the flying animal would be confined to the sky realm. Maybe far later in the game the flight can be taken anywhere.

2 - If we can fly around freely in old Hyrule it would give us some incentive to explore old areas in a very new way instead of grinding for stamina and food like we once did in part 1.

3 - At the very least if there is a substantial under world I'd be certain you couldn't take your flying mount down there and you'd be forced to use the glider. This goes double for the water drop being used in a place where you can't fly period and it's the only way to reach some upper level the world.

4 - Certain areas in the game could prohibit free flight with "taint clouds" or any other numerous environmental factors like a narrow canyon, woods that are too dense, etc.

I don't know please help me believe that full fight has a chance! Either that or destroy my dreams quickly and efficiently.

I think (unfortunately) that some restrictions will be made due to hardware limitations. I don't think the sky islands will be visible from ground (There's the cloud barrier of course, so it would still make a degree of sense, explanation wise) and I think there will only be select places (many of them hopefully) that ties ground and sky together, maybe something like the aforementioned dragon towers. But I don't think there'll be full blown connection between sky and ground: I think that if you fall down in the sky world, you'll void out and respawn, simply.

I could live with that and pretty much expecting it just judging by the tiny bit of footage we've seen so far. As long as I get to fly freely and eventually be able to take my flight ability down into the old world.

I am really interested how they will implement that bow and arrow fighting mechanic while free falling patent into botw2. There must be some new enemies for it right? Now the question is if they are fully new or reimagined older enemies like they did in botw (for example lynels). Also, would there be a way to pick up air or height again or do you really need to be careful not to hit the ground lol

I think (unfortunately) that some restrictions will be made due to hardware limitations. I don't think the sky islands will be visible from ground (There's the cloud barrier of course, so it would still make a degree of sense, explanation wise) and I think there will only be select places (many of them hopefully) that ties ground and sky together, maybe something like the aforementioned dragon towers. But I don't think there'll be full blown connection between sky and ground: I think that if you fall down in the sky world, you'll void out and respawn, simply.

There is a question of how the overworld would disappear as you are falling, but the end of the 2020 trailer shows that there are some islands almost as low down as the mountains, so it would seem stupid not to have the option in. Of course, they could do a magic barrier that zaps you if you fall through it, but I don't agree with assuming hardware limitations will necessitate that, when this is running on a system with twice the ram as the BotW target platform.

I am really interested how they will implement that bow and arrow fighting mechanic while free falling patent into botw2. There must be some new enemies for it right? Now the question is if they are fully new or reimagined older enemies like they did in botw (for example lynels). Also, would there be a way to pick up air or height again or do you really need to be careful not to hit the ground lol

Oh good question! I could see how this free falling combat could be used on flying enemies but yeah if you fail what's the reset process? I'd once again like to assume a flying mount could pick you back up. Naturally they'd make it so you could attack one way or another from it's back but the free falling gives a different kind of freedom and accuracy since Link would be moving only straight down and able to presumedly aim in any direction.

I hope it's not just some quick wind spell that shoots you straight back up again.

2ioNbaO.jpg

So you're saying there's a chance we'll get an Airwing instead of a bike? ;)

I'm a Kakariko orphan so I agree about Hateno. Hateno is the new Kakariko and Kakariko became a Naruto town.
Not fan of BOTW Sheikah. I really was interested on them before BOTW but then they took this Naruto stereotypes path.
it doesn't really have anything to do with Naruto.... they just both share the same obvious inspiration.

Personally speaking I quite liked their take on the Sheikah. The Yiga twist was also a really cool addition. We never really saw people that are religiously loyal to Ganon. Has also a lot of potential in the future

I'm a Kakariko orphan so I agree about Hateno. Hateno is the new Kakariko and Kakariko became a Naruto town.
Not fan of BOTW Sheikah. I really was interested on them before BOTW but then they took this Naruto stereotypes path.

Have you ever played a Zelda game before BOTW? The Shiekah have been portrayed as a ninja-like clan since Ocarina of Time. And because BOTW know incorporates more Asian/Japanese architecture, it's now too...Naruto?

This isn't the first time they've heavily rethemed Kakariko Village from something like ALttP and OoT. Look at TP, Kakariko Village became a western themed town.

This isn't the first time they've heavily rethemed Kakariko Village from something like ALttP and OoT. Look at TP, Kakariko Village became a western themed town.
Agree they already set the precedent. Though I'd preferred if they mantained as this peaceful vibe village like it was in OOT and ALLTP. At least we had Hateno representing it for me.

Have you ever played a Zelda game before BOTW? The Shiekah have been portrayed as a ninja-like clan since Ocarina of Time. And because BOTW know incorporates more Asian/Japanese architecture, it's now too...Naruto?
My problem is not with architecture. I said Naruto town because Sheikah became Naruto characters for some reason. Compare their depiction and move sets with OOT or SS for example.

DLC Monk and AOC Impa even use a Kage Bushin. AOC Impa have hand seals for magic exactly like Naruto. And I'm someone who likes Naruto(of course with it highs and lows) though the way they used was too cringe for me.

Agree they already set the precedent. Though I'd preferred if they mantained as this peaceful vibe village like it was in OOT and ALLTP. At least we had Hateno representing it for me.

My problem is not with architecture. I said Naruto town because Sheikah became Naruto characters for some reason. Compare their depiction and move sets with OOT or SS for example.

DLC Monk and AOC Impa even use a Kage Bushin. AOC Impa have hand seals for magic exactly like Naruto. And I'm someone who likes Naruto(of course with it highs and lows) though the way they used was too cringe for me.

First of all Age of Calamity has nothing to do with BotW really besides lore and the world.

Second of all.... making the Sheikah, as I said before, Ninja inspired hasn't anything to do with Naruto and its quite a rude generalization imo. And it isn't cringe.
Are medival knight fights cringe too?

Its part of japanese legends, myths and history.

BotW wears its Japanese influence on its sleeve (which, you know, makes sense considering the developers....). Ancient Shiekah architecture and tech are based on the Jomon period, specifically. I don't begrudge anyone who thinks "Naruto" when viewing Ninja tropes but if we're going down that road, there's a long list of Japanese video games and media that use those exact same ones... at least BotW stands out.

First of all Age of Calamity has nothing to do with BotW really besides lore and the world.

Second of all.... making the Sheikah, as I said before, Ninja inspired hasn't anything to do with Naruto and its quite a rude generalization imo. And it isn't cringe.
Are medival knight fights cringe too?

Its part of japanese legends, myths and history.
Sheikah were always based on Ninja. And that was great. BOTW came with the Naruto tropes. For example, using hand seals(Mudra) to invoke magic(ninjutsu in the context). This is a Kishimoto thing and it was nice within Naruto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom