• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can‘t find the tweet anymore but since i saw it i can’t stop thinking about it.

It was regarding the scene with the guardian legs in the latest trailer. There was a plattform on the ground that reads „transport“ which was present in one of the divine beasts. Its very strange because why would that plattform appear outside the divine beast?
The tweet was a theory that maybe the NPCs found shelter in the divine beasts and now use them as towns. That might be a reason why we can’t see them in trailers.
Its very far fetched but the idea seems very interesting

I saw the scene and immediately assumed he was in a lab with Robbie or Purah. Link looks like he's just been caught unaware because neither of them are the type to give all the details before they reveal some invention.

Re: glyphs and new powers: I really like the idea that “wind” would replace Korok leaf functionality. It was annoying having to keep on in the inventory or look for one when needed. That’s the sort of functionality that Link should permanently have at all times. “Light” could mean different things but illumination is a cool idea if we’ll be in darker caves. And there could also be gameplay elements, like mirror shield type puzzles. Or maybe enemies like ReDeads that are deterred by light.

“Light” could mean different things but illumination is a cool idea if we’ll be in darker caves. And there could also be gameplay elements, like mirror shield type puzzles. Or maybe enemies like ReDeads that are deterred by light.

How am I just now remembering the Earth Temple from Wind Waker? That game had a bunch of light puzzles and enemies affected by light. That may very well be the case here.

I saw the scene and immediately assumed he was in a lab with Robbie or Purah. Link looks like he's just been caught unaware because neither of them are the type to give all the details before they reveal some invention.

Holy shit there's an idea there.

So we heard Ganondorf in the trailer tell his minions to attack allies of Hyrule. Maybe monsters actually do attack the towns. Then people/gorons/zoras, etc... would have to run away and go into hiding. Imagine Robbie or Purah had their lab attacked, they go into hiding we have to teleport to their new location, but those arms act as a security system/check to make sure no intruders teleport to their hiding place. The pad that says "transport" could lower into their new location or teleport us there. Gerudo Town may have been attacked too, and the Gerudo go into hiding, hence why there are no alcohol references in this game per the ESRB, because Gerudo Town has been forsaken or is now ruined.

How am I just now remembering the Earth Temple from Wind Waker? That game had a bunch of light puzzles and enemies affected by light. That may very well be the case here.
Seems like a natural use of a light-based arm power. This team went ham in making Lynels significantly more difficult and intimidating than in past games. ReDeads seem like a good candidate to really up the ante on. There could be sections where you have to get past swarms of them in dark caves and only the small circle of illumination provided by the arm allows you to get by.

Holy shit there's an idea there.

So we heard Ganondorf in the trailer tell his minions to attack allies of Hyrule. Maybe monsters actually do attack the towns. Then people/gorons/zoras, etc... would have to run away and go into hiding. Imagine Robbie or Purah had their lab attacked, they go into hiding we have to teleport to their new location, but those arms act as a security system/check to make sure no intruders teleport to their hiding place. The pad that says "transport" could lower into their new location or teleport us there. Gerudo Town may have been attacked too, and the Gerudo go into hiding, hence why there are no alcohol references in this game per the ESRB, because Gerudo Town has been forsaken or is now ruined.
Yeah I think those platforms were the fast travel points on the divine beasts, no? Which would just suggest the "transport" is literally, like, a transporter pad.

Something which always bothered me were the dragon heads only meeting at the top when link opens the doors in the sky temple (screenshot), unlike in the logo where a Ouroboros symbol is featured. Might point towards a playable underworld with doors where the dragon heads meet at the bottom? Might be reaching too far here :D if Zelda is really taking on this part as a playable character I actually trust the zelda team to create a enjoyable feature if they are confident enough to pull it off.

The-Legend-of-Zelda_-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-%E2%80%93-Coming-May-12th-2023-%E2%80%93-Nintendo-Switch-0-43-screenshot-768x432.png

How are you going to play as Zelda is my thing. Switch back and forth. We’ve seen Link inside a cave too because I see some people think Zelda will do underground. Idk it seems forced.
The caves we see Link in are very different from that one big mushroom cave. My theory has been we'll have 5 discrete layers of verticality, upper sky islands with the golden trees, normal sky islands, ground, caves/surface level underground, deep underground with the giant mushrooms and blue flames. Like an underworld/Hades/dark realm type place.

I think Zelda will be stuck there, but may have some level of gameplay function down there whether through being playable or something else.

TRHskc.jpeg

It’s really interesting to me that the Hinox have their horns shielded. If you look close, you’ll see that their horns haven’t really changed so I wonder why they have protection for it now? There’s definitely some gameplay reason for why the horn is now a weak point. All I can think of is using it as a grapple point. Latching onto it and pulling yourself right towards its eye.
Sounds likely, and I think the hookshot is something we need to craft into our weapons. More combat style options.

Yeah I think those platforms were the fast travel points on the divine beasts, no? Which would just suggest the "transport" is literally, like, a transporter pad.
Might be, I don't remember but that sounds right. You can teleport to Purah and Robbie's labs, so maybe it's the pad from one of their labs?

How are you going to play as Zelda is my thing. Switch back and forth. We’ve seen Link inside a cave too because I see some people think Zelda will do underground. Idk it seems forced.
Maybe it’a a toggle if there’s no load time. Or it has something to do with dungeons.

I've been hesitant on Zelda being playable in the past but honestly the idea of her being playable in the deep underground does make some sense

Only ask from me is that it's not too disruptive and you eventually unlock the ability to traverse any environment as either character

@manfromthedam
Here's the .m4a which when imported into Audacity will show all the surround sound channels.
How I got it: Use youtube-dl to extract "--audio format best" from the Japanese Tears of the Kingdom Trailer #2.
Install FFmpeg for Audacity prior to importing.
Hearing the deconstructed version is a joy, I can hear the little flutes in the background of the main theme.

Watched the Zelda Lore video posted a page or two back about potential for Zelda being playable. It's definitely a possibility, but we shall see.

The steel crates in the underground area is definitely a good catch! Didn't really notice it before.

Wow, the trailer quality is indeed much better on the News app on the Switch than on the YouTube upload. Far less muddy.
Whoa you're right! I can make out a bunch of new details. At the end of the skydiving shot, it looks like a large piece of regular ground is floating?

The lava is indeed gone, but are you referring to the scene of Link grinding on a rail? Those are the hot springs (probably less hot now).
I knew about the hot springs, but weren't those a lot smaller in BOTW? The water in that shot looks lake sized.

You can‘t get the size of the overworld/the game from the filesize. BOTW could be twice as big while using the same textures and it would‘t affect that much the filesize.

Got this from Reddit, Wii U BoTW asset sizes: Character Models (3.51 GB), Terrain Textures (1.81 GB), Sounds (1.56 GB), Cutscenes (1 GB), Physics Engine (955 MB), UI (620 MB).

That's 9.51gb of the 14.2gb for BoTW.

I may be crazy, but when I see Link with a long hair, I have the bad felling that Link will fuse with Zelda.

And in the last trailler, she said “lend me your power”, so I had a Dragon Ball Z feeling about that that.

If you can’t play Zelda, but only a fused version on her plus link, people over here will melt, myself included.

I may be crazy, but when I see Link with a long hair, I have the bad felling that Link will fuse with Zelda.

And in the last trailler, she said “lend me your power”, so I had a Dragon Ball Z feeling about that that.

If you can’t play Zelda, but only a fused version on her plus link, people over here will melt, myself included.

Link's hair is that long already, you can see it out of the ponytail when you wear the ancient helm. Though I've never heard the idea of a fusion like that in Zelda, that'd be kinda cool.

What COULD effect it, out of curiosity? Cutscenes and voice acting?
Textures, unique 3D Models (prefabs), Animations, sound etc. The actual build together World, Scripts or Shaders don‘t take much space. That’s why a game like Minecraft can have basically an infinitely big world while being just about 1GB big (Though it works a bit different because of its procentual nature). Usually how often a certain object is called/drawn to the scene/level (for example an enemy) dosen‘t add much to the filesize. That‘s mainly later for the cpu to handle. The bigger file size could mean anything, It could really mean that we’ll see more unique settings/environments (more textures and models), but it could also just be that animations, 3D Models, cutscenes, soundfiles (5.1?) got more complex/bigger in general.

Though I don’t know much about Open World games or of course how their engine works, certain things could be different there. But I‘m sure Nintendo are king in optimizing to death their filesizes and if anything its would be way more straight forward than a Third Party Engines like Unity or Unreal where I know some stuff.

Last edited:
It just struck me that what we've all been expecting, namely that BotW was all about horizontal exploration and TotK will be all about verticality, is actually reflected in their titles. Breath expands before you, tears fall down. Interesting.

Thank goodness for the clearer picture of the Switch news app. YouTube compression does this game dirty.

I noticed another blue-lit tower behind the Gleeok, it also appears to also have moving blue (Shiekah) flames. Begs the question of where the Hateno furnace went.

Maybe not the thread to ask this but how often do eshop cards go on sale in the US? I’m leaning pretty heavily towards utilizing the voucher program for Zelda.

Maybe not the thread to ask this but how often do eshop cards go on sale in the US? I’m leaning pretty heavily towards utilizing the voucher program for Zelda.

Keep an eye on Wario64 twitter. Occasionally cards will go on sale for 10~20% off.

Anyone else getting the feeling that the sky islands are the replacement for Shrines? I didn’t think this at first, but I’m starting to get the impression they will be little puzzle boxes based on the latest trailer. Too many just look weird and out of place to be part of a civilized sky kingdom.

Also, I’ve seen it speculated that the green spiral things on the ground are portals to the sky. That may be the case, but why are they there suddenly? Is it possible that a playable Zelda is doing something in the underground to create. And every time she does, it provides Link to a new set of sky islands? I wonder if the hieroglyphics seen on the ground also tie back to something Zelda is doing in the underground. Those are even more bizarre than the spiral things.

Something which always bothered me were the dragon heads only meeting at the top when link opens the doors in the sky temple (screenshot), unlike in the logo where a Ouroboros symbol is featured. Might point towards a playable underworld with doors where the dragon heads meet at the bottom? Might be reaching too far here :D if Zelda is really taking on this part as a playable character I actually trust the zelda team to create a enjoyable feature if they are confident enough to pull it off.

The-Legend-of-Zelda_-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-%E2%80%93-Coming-May-12th-2023-%E2%80%93-Nintendo-Switch-0-43-screenshot-768x432.png
If we are staying in line with the subject of duality as well, couldn’t Link now be considered half Zonai, if that’s who the arm belongs to, and half Hylian? It would make sense if this was right after getting the arm bracelet attached and Link is now two Dragons or Duel dragons with his added power.
Maybe it doesn’t represent two separate Dragons but one whole that has now become two. A Hylian and a Zonai as also depicted in the cusping of the hands, two become one.

She says lend him your power

No offense, but this might be the single silliest theory I've ever heard. This ain't a MonolithSof- wait

But on a serious note nah that ain't happening in Zelda. Also, the line was "lend him your power" (confirmed by tweet)

The actual MonolithSoft influence will be the giant mech we'll eventually get to make with the building feature. Divine Beasts are gone, Monolith needs their mandated mech or they wouldn't be support on this title

I wonder if the hieroglyphics seen on the ground also tie back to something Zelda is doing in the underground. Those are even more bizarre than the spiral things.
I think they have to be something story related, I’ve only read a few people attempt to explain them as possible fast travel spots only because the stone glider looked like it was headed towards one them in the trailer. But the hieroglyphs are too big in my opinion for it to be that simple, my only thought is that they have something to do with seeing them from extremely high up because even at the mid level islands where Link is riding the stone bird they are hard to figure out what they are.

I’m intrigued by the idea that Malice, the blue Sheikah-tech energy, and the green Zonai energy could be interrelated or be different forms or applications of the same force in the Zelda universe. And it is interesting that the Sheikah had so many mysterious structures underneath Hyrule castle, which happens to be above or near where Ganondorf’s corpse is being imprisoned by the Zonai energy arm. What are the circumstances that led to this specific “seal” and arrangement?

I’ve also seen speculation that the Sheikah may have tried to use the malice emanating from Ganondorf’s body in their tech. Maybe as an energy source? That would add an interesting layer and moral ambiguity to the Sheikah. Maybe the Zonai disagreed with the Sheikah on this use and that led to a rift between the tribes, and only later in their history did the Sheikah re-evaluate what they were doing and change course? Mistakes of the forefathers and all that.

I’m wildly speculating now. I don’t expect TotK to go super deep into the lore and be extremely narrative heavy. But there are some intriguing pieces laid out. If Calamity Ganon can continually break free as a destructive force, what is the seal on Ganondorf’s corpse really doing? Just a flaw/limitation of the seal? And is a revived, corporeal Ganondorf going to be different from Calamity Ganon? Maybe some more nuance and thought to his characterization? Honestly, this is one of the few times in Zelda history that I almost understand Ganondorf’s rage. Trapped as a corpse like that for however many thousands of years with the power of your hatred continually seeping out? It almost makes sense he’d be a genocidal maniac.

I think that what the Hinox has on its head, the blade horns the Bokoblins have, etc, they are all crafting materials. And I think the blob around the Hinox's neck is a bowl of glue. All used for crafting. It will be instead of monster parts.

I think that what the Hinox has on its head, the blade horns the Bokoblins have, etc, they are all crafting materials. And I think the blob around the Hinox's neck is a bowl of glue. All used for crafting. It will be instead of monster parts.

Would be interesting if we could spot different kinds of Hinox to take on based on the materials on them. Would save time for farming to craft etc later on.

Also, I hope Hero's Path is in the base game this time. It shouldn't have been locked behind DLC for BOTW.

Also, I hope Hero's Path is in the base game this time. It shouldn't have been locked behind DLC for BOTW.
Yes please, it made it so much easier to back tract and explore the areas I missed since I tend to wander off in random directions, I never used any of the roads in my first play through either, just criss-crossed them, to me they were just dirt paths leading to no where or a in direction that didn’t have my attention at the time.

Last edited:
Reading back a page or 2 seeing some discussion about people attempting to judge the quality of a game by its filesize, you can have a field day by comparing Mario Odyssey to just the save file size of NBA 2K18.
They're both around 5GB

Never ever judge a game by its size, it tells us absolutely zero without knowing the level of compression, optimization or which focus of the game is asset heavy (music quality, are there non pre-rendered cutscenes, picture size, the way textures are handled, left over data, libraries etc.)

I just looked up how long the soundtrack for Breath of the Wild was and it is 6 hours long,
Now... Let's assume that a song of about 3 minutes at 128kbps would be 3MB, whereas in uncompressed state the same song would be 30MB. Compressed the entire soundtrack of BotW could lie anywhere between 360MB and 3,6GB. Edit: I just looked it up, it's 1,56GB.

The biggest type of data in BotW? Character models coming at 3.51GB followed by textures at 1.81GB followed by the sounds/music of 1,56GB, the 4th place goes to cutscenes at 1GB and then 5th the physics engine coming at 955MB and a finally the GUI at 6th of 620MB.
(Thanks musical_bear from Reddit who looked it up in the Extracted Wii U version) the DLC would come at 2.5GB extra data.

Tears of the Kingdom comes at 18.2 GB vs. BotW's 13.5 GB

Just to humor it let's try it out:
Totk Character models x2: 7,02GB
Removed and new textures x2: 3GB
Music is replaced and new are added: 2GB
Cutscenes replaced and x2 added: 2GB
Physics engine x2: 2GB

Basically we have a game that is 2x as large as BotW going by file size alone, I reached 16GB so far with no DLC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom