• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's very minor in the grand scheme of things, but Bayonetta Origins releases on March 17th.
Would Nintendo really overshadow its release with new ToTK footage?
IMO, these things don't overlap with each other as much as we think. The last TOTK trailer is still a tease because clearly there's a lot they're keeping close to the chest. Not because they don't want to overshadow Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe. Nobody's going to be dissuaded from buying Kirby or Octopath 2 because the TOTK trailer was 30 seconds longer with more cutscenes/lore in it.

Same thing with Bayonetta. That game has such a limited audience already; I doubt people are choosing between it and Zelda. Those who are going to buy that game have already made up their mind based on the game it is; they don't need to be swayed.

Mario movie is a totally different beast; the audience for a TOTK deep dive are not the same target audience for the Mario movie. Both promotions can equally coexist.

I don't actually think the "Zonai" are gonna be a part of ToTK. The race was created specifically to be mysterious, so in my mind either:

A: they'll be revealed/retconned into being the ancient ancestors of the original Hylians, the people who lived alongside Hylia.

B: their tech, assuming it's theirs, will show up but the race itself won't.
I think when they were put into BOTW it was just meant to be a mysterious but ultimately unimportant piece of worldbuilding, but it seems like they are a major focus of the sequel, considering the amount of lore about them that was added into the Creating a Champion book.

It's very hard to argue that all the iconography we've seen doesn't match the Zonai imagery we saw in BOTW, there's a very clear and deliberate connection there. Both of your A and B options may be true however, the race itself may not show up and they may also just be a tribe like the Hylians, but I do think the plot and backstory will focus a lot on them.
Didn't it say somewhere that the inhabitants of Lurelin Village were descended from the Zonai? Or am I making that up
They have Zonai spiral symbols in the village but I don't think there's any other known connection.

Wow, from the general discussion I was sure the Zonai were some sort of sky aliens, like Ooccoo. Reading that they were ancient barbarians is amazing. Literally the complete opposite of what I was thinking this whole time.

Wow, from the general discussion I was sure the Zonai were some sort of sky aliens, like Ooccoo. Reading that they were ancient barbarians is amazing. Literally the complete opposite of what I was thinking this whole time.

Yup basically a tribal race. Kind of reminds me of the Tantalese race from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Some of the theorycrafting we've been doing says that it's possible the Hylians were at war with the Zonai or otherwise kinda colonized/exiled them and when writing the history books they decided to call them barbarians, to make themselves look morally superior or whatnot. Would be a cool wrinkle.

I think when they were put into BOTW it was just meant to be a mysterious but ultimately unimportant piece of worldbuilding, but it seems like they are a major focus of the sequel, considering the amount of lore about them that was added into the Creating a Champion book.
I think that the Zonai might have had a much larger involvement in the plot early on in development, considering that their architecture (fully developed) was so heavily featured and teased in the E3 2014 trailer

Yep, and their sudden disappearance from the world is something I'm betting TOTK will address. The lack of Zonai technology and the overabundance of Sheikah tech throughout Hyrule suggests a darker history to this particular Zelda lore than we yet understand; the contrast in strength and ways of existence might suggest the Zonai didn't leave this world willingly or peacefully.

I'd love for those threads to expand into some discussion of nativism/tribalism/genocide if the game's plot goes there.

Some of the theorycrafting we've been doing says that it's possible the Hylians were at war with the Zonai or otherwise kinda colonized/exiled them and when writing the history books they decided to call them barbarians, to make themselves look morally superior or whatnot. Would be a cool wrinkle.

This is what I get for not catching up on the last few pages before I respond. Ha.

Yep, and their sudden disappearance from the world is something I'm betting TOTK will address. The lack of Zonai technology and the overabundance of Sheikah tech throughout Hyrule suggests a darker history to this particular Zelda lore than we yet understand; the contrast in strength and ways of existence might suggest the Zonai didn't leave this world willingly or peacefully.

I'd love for those threads to expand into some discussion of nativism/tribalism/genocide if the game's plot goes there.

This is what I get for not catching up on the last few pages before I respond. Ha.
Might lend credence to my rock paper scissors theory, if Hylians/Sheikah drove out the Zonai (wisdom>courage)

This would give me so much anxiety and would really screw up the "hang out, explore, vibe" feeling that I love from BotW. That mechanic was the thing that made me dislike Majora's Mask and if they revisit it (because I know a lot of people love it) I'd hope they don't do it in an open-air mainline game.
Oh 100%, that's precisely why Majora's is my least fave 3D Zelda, the anxiety management is too much for me to actually enjoy the game. The concept is great, the execution is just stressful

ALso remember the Zonai are called differently in other languages. I think in German they are called Sonau in BotW. In Spanish they are appearently Zonnan etc.

In Japanese they are "Zonau" which explains the German name at least.

Oh 100%, that's precisely why Majora's is my least fave 3D Zelda, the anxiety management is too much for me to actually enjoy the game. The concept is great, the execution is just stressful
Meanwhile, it's my favorite zelda game and my dream is for hyrule to be on some kind of timer before complete annihilation. But I understand that many people hate time based games, so it's unlikely they put back this feature in any big zelda project.

In Breath of the Wild, you can backflip from your motorcycle in slow-motion and fire an exploding arrow at a giant robot octopus while wearing a rabbit hat.

Cool, huh?

Well, in Tears of the Kingdom, you can skydive down into the sky from your improvised streetcar made out of tea tables and held together by Hinox earwax and transition into a back-down skydiving position while you fire three homing arrows (powered up by your magical rad tattooed arm and made out of bat eyeballs) at an ancient sky serpent only to land on an island and phase through an island above you and then skydive down to fire another three homing arrows at the sky serpent and kill it followed by landing on said improvised streetcar.

Talk about a developer resting their case.

In Breath of the Wild, you can backflip from your motorcycle in slow-motion and fire an exploding arrow at a giant robot octopus while wearing a rabbit hat.

Cool, huh?

Well, in Tears of the Kingdom, you can skydive down into the sky from your improvised streetcar made out of tea tables and held together by Hinox earwax and transition into a back-down skydiving position while you fire three homing arrows (powered up by your magical rad tattooed arm and made out of bat eyeballs) at an ancient sky serpent only to land on an island and phase through an island above you and then skydive down to fire another three homing arrows at the sky serpent and kill it followed by landing on said improvised streetcar.

I just showed this trailer to my friends who have been playing both BotW and Elden Ring, and they let out an audible 'whoa' at the parts where Link is freefalling and traversing the sky with crafted vehicles. This game is going to be something special.

Didn't it say somewhere that the inhabitants of Lurelin Village were descended from the Zonai? Or am I making that up
It's speculated heavily because of where the people of Lurelin are located and because There's a similar symbol on their houses that looks like another symbol that appears on the Labyrinths.

The Zonai according to Creating a Champion lived in Faron woods, with the Spring of Courage being their home base. Because the Spring of Courage is Skyview Spring from Skyward Sword, that would imply they must have existed after the events of Skyward Sword.

It's very hard to argue that all the iconography we've seen doesn't match the Zonai imagery we saw in BOTW, there's a very clear and deliberate connection there. Both of your A and B options may be true however, the race itself may not show up and they may also just be a tribe like the Hylians, but I do think the plot and backstory will focus
lot on them.
I do agree the tech were seeing does match up with the Zonai architecture, but I don't think the tribe themselves will play an important role personally. I'm still unsure about how much of a role the tribe itself will play.

If they really reveal nothing before release date I will self-exile myself from all social media... I would NOT tolerate spoilers of any kind tbh

Omg what if this is happening in real time Bowser's Fury style, with the castle constantly visible and rising, and you need to rewind time to postpone it Majora's Mask style
I like this idea of the castle slowly rising over time in real time. The only guess I have as to why he would want to ascend to the Sacred realm would be to settle an old score or if the Tri-force is present in this game.

Omg what if this is happening in real time Bowser's Fury style, with the castle constantly visible and rising, and you need to rewind time to postpone it Majora's Mask style
also bombarding Link every once in a while like that one concept they had for BotW that didn't make it into the game

Cool, huh?

This made me laugh, I think we need to officially transition from Green goopy stuff to Hinox earwax it’s more professional looking in our posts☺️

Cool, huh?

Love this post. Goes to show what we'll be lucky to deal with in several weeks.

If we can’t use cryonis with the arm, I wouldn’t mind if they bring back the ability for ice arrows to freeze a small chunk of water like in Majora’s Mask.

I'd rather just be able to swim underwater. Water being an obstacle in BOTW was always annoying.

I hope we can swim underwater too, but sometimes we need to make a cryonis block in BoTW to jump to slightly higher locations though so we might need to still be able to freeze ice.

I'd rather just be able to swim underwater. Water being an obstacle in BOTW was always annoying.

Yeah.. and because of cryonis, it wasn't even a good obstacle.

Using a log to float across the river? Nah who needs to do something dumb like that, we have technology.

Could the "wind" rune actually be the phasing mechanic? Turning into "wind" in order to pass through an object sounds like a way an ancient civilization might describe that power.

Last edited:
Hoping most of the major dungeons are in the sky.

Love me some traditional 3D Zelda dungeons, can't wait to see how they approach it in a open world format.

Agreed. Also, I have seen some clips where players would glitch underwater and it looks beautiful for something that you probably won't ever see. I hope they manage to do it this time.

vlcsnap-2023-02-15-20h22m26s650.png

2209-16-Zelda-Tears-Of-The-Kingdom-09.jpg

Tears_of_the_Kingdom_mural.png

For the sake of comparison. I'm not super confident due to the heavy stylization, but I think she's the mural 'Princess Zelda' due to the open-top dress.
The mysterious entity in the carving has larger hands compared to Zelda's which is why I think it's the one who previously had the spectral arm.

For the sake of comparison. I'm not super confident due to the heavy stylization, but I think she's the mural 'Princess Zelda' due to the open-top dress.
The mysterious entity in the carving has larger hands compared to Zelda's which is why I think it's the one who previously had the spectral arm.
Both women depicted (1 is presumably Zelda) have very long hair, the woman wearing the white robe doesn't seem to have long hair, so the woman in the first image might be modern Zelda.

Both women depicted (1 is presumably Zelda) have very long hair, the woman wearing the white robe doesn't seem to have long hair, so the woman in the first image might be modern Zelda.
Forgot to include this.
Screenshot-20230215-083559.png

Yes you have a point, this new dress appears more form fitting so I would expect to see more visible hair. Tricky camera angle.

Modern Zelda wearing the garb of ancient Zelda to fulfill a prophecy doesn't seem unreasonable.

Forgot to include this.
Screenshot-20230215-083559.png

Yes you have a point, this new dress appears more form fitting so I would expect to see more visible hair. Tricky camera angle.

Modern Zelda wearing the garb of ancient Zelda to fulfill a prophecy doesn't seem unreasonable.
It's a decent observation, but then again, Zelda would have to find that robe and decorations etc... she isn't wearing them obviously when she falls so she'd have to find them somewhere else, presumably below ground. Hard to see how Zelda could find a bunch of stuff underground just through cutscenes. So we'll meet up with her or play as her and find her ancient Zelda's robes, or the magic hand's old robes?

Edit: I also was just able to snag an amiibo from Best Buy Canada, finally! Canadian retailers putting it up a week later.

I hope we can swim underwater too, but sometimes we need to make a cryonis block in BoTW to jump to slightly higher locations though so we might need to still be able to freeze ice.
I'm not saying the rune shouldn't come back, as in some specific situations it's necessary, but it's easily probably the least used rune at least imo.
Yeah.. and because of cryonis, it wasn't even a good obstacle.

Using a log to float across the river? Nah who needs to do something dumb like that, we have technology.
Cryonis is only really useful imo when you need to carry something across the water or you can't find a raft. Hopefully they allow us to just swim like past games or maybe we can unlock a key item at some point like flippers to swim, if they want to keep it being an obstacle in the early game.
Agreed. Also, I have seen some clips where players would glitch underwater and it looks beautiful for something that you probably won't ever see. I hope they manage to do it this time.
Some of it looks good, stuff like Lake Hylia tho have nothing at all under them. Either way I really hope they do allow us to swim underwater.

--------------

Anyways in regards to the woman, I think it's probably just Zelda. I want it to be Hylia so we'd finally have a official look for her, but I doubt it now tbh.

I'm not saying the rune shouldn't come back, as in some specific situations it's necessary, but it's easily probably the least used rune at least imo.

Now that I think about it, you really only use cryonis outside of shrines to get treasure chests and go across water. But if you can actually swim at a decent pace in ToTK then you really will only need it to get underwater chests, but if we can actually go underwater and open chests underwater, then cryonis is basically useless in the over world.

On the other hand the entity has a central piece of fabric presumably, hanging off the middle of their outfit. Which could be that green and gold part of the outfit in the screenshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom