• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zelda is basically Hylia, so Hylia looks exactly like Zelda.
You're not technically wrong but you're not right either. I'm not sure why this is such a hard thing for people but I've been seeing a lot of people including a handful of Zelda YouTubers who's whole brand is Zelda content and lore, get this wrong the last couple of weeks, but Zelda =/= Hylia.

Skyward Sword Zelda is the only version of Zelda that is a reincarnation of Hylia. Every other version of Zelda is just related by blood. We could use this to assume then that Skyward Sword Zelda represents how Hylia would look, which is what the non-canon manga in Hyrule Histora did, but I'm not super sold on that. Obviously Hylia would look similar to Zelda, as all Zeldas look similar due to "Zelda" being one character and multiple characters, similar to Link, but there would hopefully be, in the scenario where she got her own physical appearance, small differences in the way she looks that would make her her own character/design.

That's really all I want, so on the off chance we ever get another general Hyrule Warriors game they can include Hylia and Demise and not cheap out by trying to shoehorn Ganondorf into looking kinda like Demise.

Also since only SS Zelda is Hylia and she's long since dead, there's really nothing stopping Hylia and BOTW Zelda from coexisting at once. I've seen some people say Zelda would have to die for Hylia to show up in TOTK, but that's not true at all. Granted I'm not sure what happened to Hylia when Skyward Sword Zelda died.

I’m curious to find out what the Devs are going to do with the Great Fairies and if their role will be similar to BotW. There is a lot of different directions they could go with them. Since they are in pools of water, my initial biased opinion, would be if one of them where some how trapped or being held captive under water and we got to explore their Fairy world and learn more about them and had to save one of them. I don’t see them being on the surface of Hyrule again either, I suspect one possibly on a sky island or one maybe underground or in a secluded cave in hiding type thing.

2021121713251700-f1c11a22faee3b82f21b330e1b786a39.jpg

It would also be a fun if they had more abilities other than just upgrading our armor, or served an entirely different role all together to change things up. We have had so many variations of the designs of the fairy fountains in past games so I could also see them popping up in unusual places as well. I think the aesthetics of them worked well in BotW, but just as I want themed dungeons, it would be fun to see what the Devs could come up with creative themes for each one of them, and then maybe based on where they are located each one would offer a unique type of upgrade, like to our vehicles or something along those lines.

2021121712583000-f1c11a22faee3b82f21b330e1b786a39_orig.jpg

When I was very young they were always so magical and mysterious to me so I’m hoping they continue to play that type of role in TotK

It's weird but I for some reason don't like the idea of Hylia showing up because I don't like the idea of her actually being a "goddess" that's doing deity stuff behind the scenes. The whole legend aspect of Legend of Zelda has always felt like there are not supposed to be literal gods doing stuff (like flooding Hyrule in wind waker) but more like powerful people and other entities who do that stuff. It would be a little disappointing to me if Hylia actually showed up as a goddess.

But that's just me.

It's weird but I for some reason don't like the idea of Hylia showing up because I don't like the idea of her actually being a "goddess" that's doing deity stuff behind the scenes. The whole legend aspect of Legend of Zelda has always felt like there are not supposed to be literal gods doing stuff (like flooding Hyrule in wind waker) but more like powerful people and other entities who do that stuff. It would be a little disappointing to me if Hylia actually showed up as a goddess.

But that's just me.
I agree to some extent if I understand you correctly. I don’t have a problem with her Spirit making a cameo appearance in the game since Link is her chosen hero, so it would be nice to finally meet her. Maybe get some guidance on how to fix the Mastersword, or learn more about the Tri-force from her. But other than that I don’t see her having any larger role than she usually does in this game. I think because of her role in SS and how there are Sky Islands again, and the Mastersword needing to be re-tooled that some people have just taken this to mean that Hylia will play some big role in this game. But yah, if she suddenly she takes on a much bigger role and it ends being Hylia against Demise again and they are brought back to the forefront of the story doing Diety things, then I agree. But The Great Flood, creation of Skyloft etc have always served to be a part of the backdrop to the story and the Lore is built up around those events, so they will always exist and I’m sure more will be added eventually as a means to tell a new story.

Last edited:
I’m personally hoping that the masked figure /mysterious torso from the trailer is not Hylia or any god. I prefer that deities remain absent in Zelda. I also would like it to be a new character instead of shoehorning Midna in or something.

I never quite understood why people jumped to Hylia so quickly. None of the design language is giving Hylia vibes, IMO.

But that's just me.
No offense intended, but the whole "legend" idea went out the window once they started making an actual chronology. If Skyward Sword is an actual real event in the history of any given games or timelines, than it is all but confirmed that Hylia, Demise, and The Golden Goddesses do actually physically exist and they aren't myths within the Zelda world. This is further backed up by games like Twilight Princess having us talk to actual spirits who were ordered to do things by the Goddesses or any game which features the Triforce.

No offense intended, but the whole "legend" idea went out the window once they started making an actual chronology. If Skyward Sword is an actual real event in the history of any given games or timelines, than it is all but confirmed that Hylia, Demise, and The Golden Goddesses do actually physically exist and they aren't myths within the Zelda world. This is further backed up by games like Twilight Princess having us talk to actual spirits who were ordered to do things by the Goddesses or any game which features the Triforce.
I don't think this was about confirming the existence of gods in the world of Zelda. It's more about keeping them as enigmatic/mysterious figures who caused X major event in the long past. But having them directly present in a game as characters with a fleshed out personality, talking to them and fighting side to side with them, it would basically bring them down to the level of regular humans/hylians like Link. That would kill their image as gods, simply to become some powerful character/sidekick. It's partially because we never had much information regarding gods and such in Zelda that we can speculate that like this about the lore and have fun with it.

I've been looking at the new TotK Link Amiibo, as Amazon.de has a listing up but not orderable (or i missed it and it's sold out) and i had to think ... woah, Amiibo really have come a long way.

Comparing this specific one to the intial batch, i really like to know what changed in this time.

As a proud owner of the OG "Marf" Amiibo, i just thought it was funny.

I don't mean the events of the series being legends, I mean the backstories for the various games, told within the games being legends. The golden goddesses like you said, we've never physically seen proof in the games of their existence, they're basically a creation myth told by the people of Hyrule. It feels more real and down to earth to consider those stories they tell in the games to be creation myths, complete with all the mystery and contradictions of real creation myths, rather than actual hard facts about the world.

Or in Wind Waker, how they tell the story of "the gods" flooding the world. What gods? The aesthetic of the tower of the gods looks a lot like Sheikah tech, so it's more likely that the sheikah flooded the world, and since they pulled such a massive feat they came off as "gods" to everyone else. Or, since they like to operate behind the scenes, they probably even spread the story that "the gods" did it, to hide the fact that they were the ones pulling the strings. That's the type of "legend" story fudging I'm talking about.

Like, we know Hylia was a person, but the idea that she became a goddess who can then transcend time to show up and effect events later in the timeline doesn't really work great for me. She can be a spirit, sure, but I like the idea of her ascending to legend status within the stories told by the Hylians themselves only, and not actually ascending to become a goddess for reasons.
I don't think this was about confirming the existence of gods in the world of Zelda. It's more about keeping them as enigmatic/mysterious figures who caused X major event in the long past. But having them directly present in a game as characters with a fleshed out personality, talking to them and fighting side to side with them, it would basically bring them down to the level of regular humans/hylians like Link. That would kill their image as gods, simply to become some powerful character/sidekick. It's partially because we never had much information regarding gods and such in Zelda that we can speculate that like this about the lore and have fun with it.
It's partly that, yeah. I'm sure they'll keep these powerful background characters in the lore and all, but I don't think the concept of omnipotent "gods" works great in the Zelda universe. More like, powerful entities that can sometimes do stuff, mostly in the backstory, but generally are relegated to being worshipped by the actual characters and not really shown in the games.

The fact that the new crafting system was first briefly shown before our eyes with the flamethrower shield in the 2021 teaser and we didn't see it coming lmao

Anyone picking up an oled just for this game? I'm debating if it's worth it or not

An OLED TV or a Switch OLED? ;D

You might wanna wait until early March if the rumors about Gamestop having a new Switch SKU in their system for March 10th end up being true, as that would be the/a TotK OLED edition.

The fact that the new crafting system was first briefly shown before our eyes with the flamethrower shield in the 2021 teaser and we didn't see it coming lmao
I think this is a great example of why a lot of people feel they still haven’t shown anything or enough from the trailers, because without any context around of what we have been looking at, it’s almost impossible to decipher with any degree of certainty what we are looking at but on flip side it has made it a lot of fun to speculate about all the new things we have been seeing.

Anyone picking up an oled just for this game? I'm debating if it's worth it or not
I had no choice as I sold my old switch and the difference between OG and OLED was really small where I bought. Do you play on tv or portable? If I still had my OG I wouldn’t upgrade as I play on TV 99% of the time.

Not me. At this point, I am just waiting for the next system. A small part of me wishes I bought one back in 2021, but I don't play handheld that often these days anyway.

I wonder how much will they show the beginning of the game, for BOTW is was basically Link woke up, here is old man and that was it. If we are starting underground it will be too heavy for plot/cutscenes etc. so am not sure what point of the game will they actually show. If there is playable demo at PAX next mont it needs to get you directly to the point, just like BOTW demo.

I've kept away from this thread for months (especially after the latest trailer) cause I want to go in as fresh as can be. So no idea if this has been mentioned or what nomenclature you've settled on. But I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back.

Primal Link is in the future.

That's mainly it. Probably dumb, but oh well. He has been conspicuously absent in the last two trailers. Some of the environment/enemy shots are probably from that timeline, but nothing of that Link was shown. Also wonder if 100% of the stuff from the first two trailers still applies.

Also, that necklaced figure in the latest one is a PAWG.

tv or console?
i was hoping for it to be launched with switch 2 to buy that, and maybe an oled TV for the HDR if it would support.

As it stands: nope. Not that much improvement over BotW, so i don't see a point in upgrading to an oled for it.

I'm reposting this to a matter of fact that this trailer is encoded in dolby digital plus 5.1 surround sound

thanks to johncomms for finding this out

I had no choice as I sold my old switch and the difference between OG and OLED was really small where I bought. Do you play on tv or portable? If I still had my OG I wouldn’t upgrade as I play on TV 99% of the time.
Im mostly a handheld player. I have a launch V2 that there really isnt anything wrong with. The screen on the OLED interests me though

Im mostly a handheld player. I have a launch V2 that there really isnt anything wrong with. The screen on the OLED interests me though
If you’re a handheld player I believe you will like it as the screen is really nice. Other then that dock with ethernet, the reduced bezel and the new stand are great.

I would love an OLED, but can't really justify the price for what is basically just a screen upgrade. Hope they bring the OLED screen back for whatever the next system they release is though.

I’m thinking this shot of Link retrieving the wheel combined with the vehicle shots kind of confirms we will be able manipulate several different material type objects including getting back our regular magnesis. The treasure chest in the middle of the Bog doesn’t glow when his arm ability is activated to retrieve the tire. So the chest is either a different type of material than the tire or Link will be able to grab different types of materials and manipulate them based on how our vehicles are built.
tire.jpg

And then later we see Link flying in his Quad Drone made with the metal slate that was prevalent in the Faron region that I am sure many of us messed around with attaching Octorok balloons to. So I'm thinking we will have several different ways using our arm to grab different material types, with each animation being slightly different to grab onto, metal, vehicle parts (what ever they are made out of), wood, cloth etc.

I’m thinking this shot of Link retrieving the wheel combined with the vehicle shots kind of confirms we will be able manipulate several different material type objects including getting back our regular magnesis. The treasure chest in the middle of the Bog doesn’t glow when his arm ability is activated to retrieve the tire. So the chest is either a different type of material than the tire or Link will be able to grab different types of materials and manipulate them based on how our vehicles are built.
tire.jpg

And then later we see Link flying in his Quad Drone made with the metal slate that was prevalent in the Faron region that I am sure many of us messed around with attaching Octorok balloons to. So I'm thinking we will have several different ways using our arm to grab different material types, with each animation being slightly different to grab onto, metal, vehicle parts (what ever they are made out of), wood, cloth etc.
Look at the transparent orange waves emanating from Link, it's likely a radius indicator. The chest seems to be too far away to manipulate but not the wheel.

Look at the transparent orange waves emanating from Link, it's likely a radius indicator. The chest seems to be too far away to manipulate but not the wheel.

I think it's likely out of range, but didn't objects out of range of magnisis still glow to indicate they can be interacted with? Maybe it was changed because that made locating treasure/parts to easy?

That makes a lot of sense, it will be interesting to see how Link manipulates the other materials in the car as well like wood etc since we were not able to do that in BotW.

I think it's likely out of range, but didn't objects out of range of magnisis still glow to indicate they can be interacted with? Maybe it was changed because that made locating treasure/parts to easy?
Yeah if it's no longer limited to just metal then I think they'd need to get rid of that indicator for far off objects, otherwise everything would need to glow.

Yah I thought it was the whole screen when you activated Magnesis, but I could be remembering it incorrectly, maybe they just have a more targeted range this time.

New Zeltik video dropped, time to get the popcorn

Hey uhhh... ya know what shape those stones look like?

Teardrops.

This is a very interesting analysis as usual. The idea of somehow summoning sky islands is really intriguing, I have no idea how that would make sense plot-wise, but I guess we'll find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom