• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you. There's something else that's releasing for the holidays, and it's gonna need it's moment in the sun, especially because it's a complete unknown. I can see a story trailer for BotW2, or another teaser, but I'm not expecting a blowout.
Yep. Nintendo has to have another big brand new game for the holiday and it’ll be announced here. Nintendo will want to focus on it, Xenoblade, Splatoon 3, Mario + Rabbids, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime, etc so I can see them waiting in BotW 2 until like September.

This is an excellent point that many overlook. For BOTW, it was all they had. It was the life saver they were clutching to assure their audience they had something in the horizon.

Now, they have so much, beginning the proper marketing push would be counterproductive for everything. It would distract from the more imminent games and the imminent games would distract from the BOTW2 push. There is a reason to think that maybe !E3 time won't be the starting chime after all.

It makes sense, but the gnashing from the certain parts of the fan base will be unbearable. Not looking forward to that.

Maybe they'll do an Animal Crossing type thing where they announce an announcement.
Jep.

Im only curious what else they will show at E3. I find the current lineup and what we already know kinda iritating in that i really dont see what big new they can slot into, and also dont feel like the stuff they could show would be to interesting. (to me, i dont want every detail to the games)
Maybe there is a 2D Zelda on the Horizon? (hope hope)

You can’t really take much from the past to compare with this year. We haven’t had a year without E3 in like forever, so we don’t know what Nintendo will do (not counting 2020 because the pandemic through everyone off. This scenario doesn’t apply to this year for Nintendo’s general directs).

I could see them waiting until September. There won’t be a show floor to show BotW 2 off to fans in June. They could also have a lot of games they want to get spotlight and not have BotW 2 takeaway from them.

Yup I agree. That being said I hope these two things happen in June:

1. At least a new trailer for Zelda. We may not get a full blown unveiling but give us something. The wait has been long. We're hungry lol.
2. Give us something Zelda this year. HD collection of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker is my top desire or a new 2D Zelda or somethinng.

Yep. Nintendo has to have another big brand new game for the holiday and it’ll be announced here. Nintendo will want to focus on it, Xenoblade, Splatoon 3, Mario + Rabbids, Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime, etc so I can see them waiting in BotW 2 until like September.

I don't see another big new holiday title other than Pokémon... but yeah, i think it's plausible that this Summer Direct will not be the big BOTW2 moment. Maybe a new trailer, maybe a Zelda Direct announcement

Yeah, I don't expect a Zelda blowout for June - as others said, in 2016 the spotlight was so intense because that's all Nintendo had ready to talk about, given they weren't ready to reveal Switch itself.

They've got releases to talk about immediately after any early to mid June event (not that they'll need to go big on FEW, Strikers, Xenoblade 3, or Splatoon 3, but I'd assume footage and reminders happen), plus Bayonetta 3 waiting for a release date, and probably some other things to announce for later this year and perhaps something to show for 2023. Plus, actual third party support.

In other words, they have options available this year they simply didn't have in 2016. Zelda could well end up having its own event, if Nintendo want; or it could have a meaty segment to round out any September Direct.

Conversely, the other analogue is New Horizons, which got the full Treehouse treatment at E3 2019 despite Astral Chain, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Pokemon Sword & Shield all set to release by the holidays. The only real difference there is that E3 was the vehicle used to communicate the AC delay from 2019 to March 2022.

Nintendo has other game to promote but remember that Directs are basically giant trailers for the Switch itself. They want people leaving the Direct excited by the lineup as whole. So I think Zelda will still be there in a significant way. We'll get trailers for Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, Mario + Rabbids, new game announcements, other surprises but adding in Zelda with a more indepth gameplay trailer, title reveal, and story hints would be the cherry on top to solidify people's excitement about the Switch over the next several months.

I don't think it's that far-off to expect a Zelda Direct either. I could see it get a date in the June Direct, maybe July or August. Use it as a dedicated space for BotW2, the HD ports and maybe a new 2D game.

I think people make good arguments for why the game wouldn't get something like a Treehouse segment in June, but I'm personally really not seeing it go completely MIA.

If Zelda is no show in June. It would be something else to read online, many people will lost it. Still don't believe they will do it, if no big blowout they will give small trailer.

I’m not sure why people would get mad. They told you it was delayed. That should let people know they don’t have to show anything soon.

Because the next time we see the game I feel like it needs to be substantial with a proper trailer then treehouse with multiple segments. I just feel with the amount of games coming they could hold off on it until after June.

Yeah, I don't expect a Zelda blowout for June - as others said, in 2016 the spotlight was so intense because that's all Nintendo had ready to talk about, given they weren't ready to reveal Switch itself.

They've got releases to talk about immediately after any early to mid June event (not that they'll need to go big on FEW, Strikers, Xenoblade 3, or Splatoon 3, but I'd assume footage and reminders happen), plus Bayonetta 3 waiting for a release date, and probably some other things to announce for later this year and perhaps something to show for 2023. Plus, actual third party support.
Exactly my thoughts, this is not a BotW situation at all, we have a lot of big games announced that need more attention than Zelda right now. If Nintendo has anything big not revealed yet for this year, it will be the June Direct closing video for sure, be it MP1 remake, FE4 remake or a brand new title for the holidays.

IMO they will wait until later this year to show the game, I expect a title reveal in TGA and then some gameplay on January or so, of course they will do a Zelda Direct showing the details of the game, but they will do it close to the game launch like they do with any other game-specific Direct.

Exactly my thoughts, this is not a BotW situation at all, we have a lot of big games announced that need more attention than Zelda right now. If Nintendo has anything big not revealed yet for this year, it will be the June Direct closing video for sure, be it MP1 remake, FE4 remake or a brand new title for the holidays.

IMO they will wait until later this year to show the game, I expect a title reveal in TGA and then some gameplay on January or so, of course they will do a Zelda Direct showing the details of the game, but they will do it close to the game launch like they do with any other game-specific Direct.
Title reveal at TGA seems little to late to me, it will be probably 3 months before release. I think Zelda will be presented in June (but no blowout), only trailer with name reveal, this will keep talk about the game going until full blowout later in the year.

Title reveal at TGA seems little to late to me, it will be probably 3 months before release. I think Zelda will be presented in June (but no blowout), only trailer with name reveal, this will keep talk about the game going until full blowout later in the year.
IMO this depends on how the title spoils the main gimmick of the game, they may want to show the title and the main new mechanic the same day. But as they shared info on the game recently I don't think that they are really concerned on "keeping talk about the game" during this summer or fall. We all know that regardless of when they unveil more details about it, everyone's attention will be there.

I mean, we are talking about the sequel of one of the most popular games of all time, released on one of the most popular systems of all time, during a time when the "competition" is not even able to produce enough systems to cover the dedicated players' demand. Nintendo can prioritize other titles for now, Xc3, Strikers, FE Warriors... will sell well of course but can benefit more from a few months of focused marketing, and the June event can be used to present something new that could benefit from not being eclipsed by a big Zelda name reveal or a new trailer. Yeah, Zelda closed E3 2019, but we need to remember that if it was not for Zelda, te event could have started and ended with Smash reveals, and Nintendo loves to end the Directs with an announcement for a new game. As I said before, I feel that the June Direct will only close with Zelda if Nintendo has nothing big to reveal for this year, which is not that likely, take as an example E3 2021, which was kind of a meh event and closed again with Zelda (for some reason Nintendo doesn't want to close an event with Metroid, it seems that Xenoblade/Zelda are worthy of being a "one las thing" but 2D Metroid isn't).

Thinking about it, it's nuts how the game has reached such maximum hype with minimal output. Two 90 second teasers and one delay announcement, and here we are.

Feels like Zelda hype is self-perpetuating at this point.

Thinking about it, it's nuts how the game has reached such maximum hype with minimal output. Two 90 second teasers and one delay announcement, and here we are.

Well it's the sequel for such a popular and genre-defining game, from a company that doesn't play it safe with sequels and has a good track reckord of doing something special with the sequels that at first glance seem to re-use lots of elements (think MM and SMG2), so yeah the hype makes all the sense to me.

Well not everyone seems to agree with this point. There has been some intense teeth gnashing over the game having "no momentum".

No momentum lol. The momentum from this game will go from 0-100 in an instant with a proper trailer. Zelda sells itself. We know the IP. We know the legacy.

No momentum lol. The momentum from this game will go from 0-100 in an instant with a proper trailer. Zelda sells itself. We know the IP. We know the legacy.
...pretty much. Thats why i dont belive in the "it needs to be anounce 9 months in advance!" narative. Its fing zelda, BotW2, sequell to a 10 million seller and probably in the top 10 of every most anticipated list out there.

People know whait their in for (direct sequell, gameplay is known, engine and artstyle are known, ...)
I feel the most vocal are those that need half the game to be spoiled with trailer and stuff to be happy, like there are people that want to see pretty much every single pokmeon before they decide if they want the new pokemon game.

There's so damn much hype built that at this point they could call it "Legend of Belda" and people would still care.

Last Direct at E3 had a peak of current viewers over 3 million, across all platforms, same with February 2021 Direct. When Zelda Direct airs it will be the same, Zelda sells itself.

Remember the Mario Direct in 2020? That’s over 10 million. A Zelda Direct would basically do the same.

I’d honestly take a Zelda Direct. Give me all the Zelda in one presentation and going in depth.

A lot of people say this game was announced too early but there's a reason why some games are announced well in advance while others have a shorter announcement to release schedule. BOTW 2 is a system seller and a presentation headliner. Knowing that the is on the horizon helps convince people to buy a Switch sooner. People tune into every Direct for the possibility of Zelda being there. Now I don't think Nintendo intended for development to take this long with the whole pandemic and all, but I do think they wanted to announce it early to advertise the Switch itself. It's the same reason why Sony announced all those games in 2015 and then it took 3-5 years for some of them to actually come out. That E3 was all about selling the PS4 with big titles that were far off in the future.

Found this, courtesy of The Legend of Link on YouTube.

Kj1Q4FV.png

If they add underwater exploration in the game, and create a lot of underwater areas to explore in the space between, and on top of that gives us some more exciting way to traverse the seas other than the raft, I wouldn't really mind.

Found this, courtesy of The Legend of Link on YouTube.

Kj1Q4FV.png

If they add underwater exploration in the game, and create a lot of underwater areas to explore in the space between, and on top of that gives us some more exciting way to traverse the seas other than the raft, I wouldn't really mind.
for a moment i was like "eh, the island looks kinda minimal, since there is mostly fields/woods, and the mass alone doesnt help when a good portion of the original map was underutilized (Hebra, Gerudo Highlands)... but then i realized, taht there is way more south the dessert, a bunch off islands, one 2-3 times the size of eventide andthe big island...yeah, if they expand the existing regiosn with new content and have the sky islands, then it could work.

I just want to mention, im so happy that the series did never take a step in the world/space realm.

Hyrule is always a country/land, so we know, the world is bigger, and always will have mysteries. If they would have made a "ganon is the most pwoerfull being in the world, and even in space"... well, it would have taken away a lot in the long run.

I really want these concept arts to come true (links space suit doesn’t have to look exactly like that though lol). BotW 2 ending with some alien invasion.

aliensconcept.jpg

linkconcept3.jpg

God I really hope they will do Making of BOTW2. Showing how it started as a DLC and all the things.

I'm all in on space.

I've always been.

If the world is centered around the sky, a space invasion makes so much sense.

Don't chicken out on this, Aonuma!
Aonuma will give us aliens on motorcycles and you know it

Link and friends jump into f-16s to fight the aliens and Sidon flies his right into the hole at the bottom of the mothership to blow it up.

yeah... hard dissagree. That would kinda be a umping the shark moment for me. Havign link literally fight ganon from space or in space feels like a shonen move, and one where every zelda game after that would start to try to one up it in a way. Zeldas strength is often the intimacy of the games.

But different tastes...

I don't think we'll see aliens in BOTW 2 but I do think we will get a full sci-fi Zelda at some point. I feel like it's been on their minds for a long time and they have been adding some sci-fi elements in with Shiekah tech in BOTW, the robots in Skyward Sword, etc. Even going back to the original, there were some thoughts of having a sci-fi twist to it.

yeah... hard dissagree. That would kinda be a umping the shark moment for me. Havign link literally fight ganon from space or in space feels like a shonen move, and one where every zelda game after that would start to try to one up it in a way. Zeldas strength is often the intimacy of the games.

But different tastes...
I don’t want Ganon to fight Zelda in space. We’re talking about a new alien race introduced to the series. They’ll kill Ganondorf

I don’t want Ganon to fight Zelda in space. We’re talking about a new alien race introduced to the series. They’ll kill Ganondorf
But can you fight then without having at least part of the game be in space? =O feels like people wont shut up hot they did not do that if they start with aliens. and if aliens kill ganondorf, then its forever "yeah, who cares about that, the world in zelda has clearly worse power out there"

I'm all in on space.

I've always been.

If the world is centered around the sky, a space invasion makes so much sense.

Don't chicken out on this, Aonuma!

I feel like space is underused subject matter in fantasy games. I just don't want them going too far into tech or sci-fi. The aliens would work very well if their ships looks similar to the sheikah tech. But that space suit concept is an especially bad fit for Botw, imo.

They're at least having a trailer in June I feel, not the big blowout right away, but they'll at least have a trailer. I don't think BOTW2 needs a big blowout just yet, but it would be very weird to not show or mention BOTW2 at all. Maybe if they substitute it with the WWHD/TPHD double pack, but I'm not sure they can pull that card again, like they did with SSHD's announcement.

BTW, has anyone given any hints as to whether the June Direct actually exists?

Even better: once the aliens reveal themselves, the Triforce will reveal itself to be the high-level computer that it was originally supposed to be in the first/original concept for the original Zelda game.

The Three Goddesses, serving as avatars for the device, will then materialize to address Link, Zelda and Ganon. These cycles of reincarnation and rebirth, even including Demise's curse, were all orchestrated by their design. All for the sake of preparing them for this very day when the aliens would arrive...

There's going to be a trailer in June, if we're lucky they'll drop the subtitle. Enough to excite people, but there'll be plenty of room for giving attention to other games.

I'm not expecting a 'best trailer ever' - just hopefully something better than last year's. Honestly the introduction in that last trailer was kind of corny, especially when compared to the 2019 one.

I feel like I'm missing something, are you trying to make a point or what?
Not a big point or anything, just making a goof because Star Wars is a fantasy set in space, but tends to be overlooked as such because the space setting tends to get it classified as sci-fi instead.

Fun fact: inside Nintendo development center, EPD 3 development rooms are labeled with Master Sword:

mastersw-ord.jpg

Also, EPD 9 (Mario Kart, ARMS) are on the same floor as a 3D Zelda team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom