• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still going with my time-loop theory that the hero of 10,000 years ago is the same Link from BOTW and the arm sealing Ganon is Link's arm he left behind to give to himself 10,000 years in the future.

I don't think the remastering of Skyward Sword was done randomly. My guess is Botw2 will end up being considered as the end of a trilogy with SS being the first, the prequel to the LoZ: Breath of the Wild.
I saw some speculation about this a year or two ago. When Fujibayashi was working on the Oracle games he wanted to make a trilogy, but as we know it was shaved down to only two games. The video I was watching that was covering his newer Zelda work suggested that with Skyward Sword, BotW, and BotW2 he saw a chance to make a trilogy once again, which is why these games take place in the extreme past and extreme future of Hyrule. They share the theme of being essentially bookends of the Zelda legends.

I don't think the remastering of Skyward Sword was done randomly. My guess is Botw2 will end up being considered as the end of a trilogy with SS being the first, the prequel to the LoZ: Breath of the Wild.
Well, they didn't have a Zelda game to release last year, and it was Skyward Sword's 10 year anniversary, which is why they created the HD version. I don't think BOTW2 will include much from Skyward Sword personally.

Since there is an ancient goron (presumably the ancient goron champion) then the ancient zora, gerudo, rito, and hylian/hylian equivalent champions could play a part. Only the champions, champion descendants, King Rhoam and Zelda were voice acted so that supports this idea.

I saw some speculation about this a year or two ago. When Fujibayashi was working on the Oracle games he wanted to make a trilogy, but as we know it was shaved down to only two games. The video I was watching that was covering his newer Zelda work suggested that with Skyward Sword, BotW, and BotW2 he saw a chance to make a trilogy once again, which is why these games take place in the extreme past and extreme future of Hyrule. They share the theme of being essentially bookends of the Zelda legends.
I had no idea about those comments. I only recently finally played through and beat SS for the first time and noticed a few things. (Firstly, the comment I saw on Twitter about SS being a demo version of BOTW was pretty much spot on). And the below, which doesn't proves anything of course, just more of a hunch.

SS
BOTW
BeedleBeedle
old ImpaShrine monks (similar designs)
Timeshift Stones & Gate of Timenew time ability in BOTW2 trailer
LeviasLeviathan bones
4 dragons (including Levias)3 dragons (and possibly dead Levias)
Demise is absorbed in Master Sword (spoiler alert)Master Sword is corrupted in BOTW2 trailer
Skyloftfloating islands and speculated aerial combat

Could just a spiritual connection rather than a literal and definite one. Or I could be imagining things.

I had no idea about those comments. I only recently finally played through and beat SS for the first time and noticed a few things. (Firstly, the comment I saw on Twitter about SS being a demo version of BOTW was pretty much spot on). And the below, which doesn't proves anything of course, just more of a hunch.

SS
BOTW
BeedleBeedle
old ImpaShrine monks (similar designs)
Timeshift Stones & Gate of Timenew time ability in BOTW2 trailer
LeviasLeviathan bones
4 dragons (including Levias)3 dragons (and possibly dead Levias)
Demise is absorbed in Master Sword (spoiler alert)Master Sword is corrupted in BOTW2 trailer
Skyloftfloating islands and speculated aerial combat

Could just a spiritual connection rather than a literal and definite one. Or I could be imagining things.
it makes more sense if you think of BotW as "Fujibayashi's Greatest Hits" because there's a lot of SS, Oracle, and Minish Cap in the game. hell, the Minish was also concepted for the game but didn't make the cut

hell, the Minish was also concepted for the game but didn't make the cut
Didn't make the cut so far
FDwzkL7WYA8K7ur

it makes more sense if you think of BotW as "Fujibayashi's Greatest Hits" because there's a lot of SS, Oracle, and Minish Cap in the game. hell, the Minish was also concepted for the game but didn't make the cut
Ah ok. I never played the last two, or any mobile Zelda game - before the Link's Awakening remake.

But some of those things I listed are a little less generalized than dragons, flying islands or time stuff. Am I saying Beedle is the key to all of it? Will Calamity Beedle is the end boss of BOTW2? Maybe.

Last edited:
Darunia… If true, that’s as direct a link to Ocarina of Time as you can get. I now have hope that they’ve decided to connect the two BoTW games to the timeline after all.

Yeah, what you're saying is sounding familiar from what I think the likes of Zeltik and/or MaskedNintendoBandit posted up like two years ago.

I'm all for it, if the payoff especially gives a chance for even the likes of Ganondorf to have a redefined role just as perhaps Link and Zelda might be. Like, I'll admit full-on that I never was a fan of the retcon of Ganondorf being a big meanie because some ancient, salty demon "made him that way". But if it means that even he gets a chance to buck the cycle that Demise damned him to, then so be it.

Do we think this goron is a one-off or are all the champions going to have descendants that look like them with the same voice actors as a way to bring them back in some form?

edit: Oh, wait, it's an ancestor? I misread, sorry. Okay, we're getting even older flashbacks.

Last edited:
Gorons are usually pretty similar both in appearance and personality to begin with. I think making the others that similar would be a hard sell.
I think you meant to quote me lol. I see what you mean. I completely misread it though and thought it was saying Daruk was the ancestor of a new character, not that a new character was the ancestor of Daruk. So it's moot anyways, my mistake!

EDIT: Watching the actual "interview" (15 seconds of clip) it's clear he's not even totally sure if he really was dubbing an ancient Daruk relative. He didn't even know if he was dubbing for a new game and if this new game/new edition was out yet.

Tbf the "Si" (yes) at the first question (are you dubbing a Daruk ancestor) was pretty adamant, then he says that the ancestor was a more serious Daruk (Daruk = Goron). For the game, he is sure that it was for something new, of course he doesn't know if it's a game or a new game version (dlc), but we know for what the goron voice is for.

And if i had to speculate something, timing is not random. Some cut-paste voice acting could be used for a new trailer in next month.

Last edited:
I hope we get at least a juicy trailer at the June Direct. It would make sense to have a gameplay blowout, as well.

In June six years ago, BotW got its full blowout and released the year after. We're at the exact same situation right now with its sequel.

To add a bit to what I said earlier about Zelda's haircut, something's been bothering me. Obviously, I think it's the same Link we're seeing, the reason that there's "two Links" in the trailer is to show what parts are the sky parts, what parts are the ground parts. The reason that he has different clothing is because he just wear different clothes/armor during the trailer. However, the haircut is also different - but it doesn't strike me as it's because it's different "armor". People have been quick to point out that Link's hair did change a lot in BotW depending on what he wore as head armor, the Guardian Helm, the Gerudo headband etc. But there's nothing "armor"-like about Link's new haircut. Does this mean that we can simply just change hairstyle, independent of armor? (Will there be a Hylian barbershop?)

Open question to thread, has anyone been able to make sense out of the reverse water droplet? I just can't wrap my head around it. I've been trying.

To add a bit to what I said earlier about Zelda's haircut, something's been bothering me. Obviously, I think it's the same Link we're seeing, the reason that there's "two Links" in the trailer is to show what parts are the sky parts, what parts are the ground parts. The reason that he has different clothing is because he just wear different clothes/armor during the trailer. However, the haircut is also different - but it doesn't strike me as it's because it's different "armor". People have been quick to point out that Link's hair did change a lot in BotW depending on what he wore as head armor, the Guardian Helm, the Gerudo headband etc. But there's nothing "armor"-like about Link's new haircut. Does this mean that we can simply just change hairstyle, independent of armor? (Will there be a Hylian barbershop?)

Open question to thread, has anyone been able to make sense out of the reverse water droplet? I just can't wrap my head around it. I've been trying.
Probably related to the time-reversal ability we have.

It's even stranger that the puddle of water/liquid compressed itself (in real life liquids aren't compressible) into a single droplet, so it's probably some kind of magic/sheikah liquid. It could be something as simple as the equivalent of magic jars from previous Zelda games, but in BOTW fashion, you can't just cut grass to replenish magic, just like how you can't find hearts in the grass in BOTW, so finding these pools of water/liquid can replenish your magic (food/cooking could be another way to do this).

Last edited:
Probably related to the time-reversal ability we have.

Hm, somehow I don't think they're related, it didn't look like it was produced with some kind of ability. Maybe it's from the sequence where Link gains the ability?

It's even stranger that the puddle of water/liquid compressed itself (in real life liquids aren't compressible) into a single droplet, so it's probably some kind of magic/sheikah liquid. It could be something as simple as the equivalent of magic jars from previous Zelda games, but in BOTW fashion, you can't just cut grass to replenish magic, just like how you can't find hearts in the grass in BOTW, so finding these pools of water/liquid can replenish your magic (food/cooking could be another way to do this).

Do you think we will have a magic meter in this game? I wouldn't rule out the possibility, personally. The puddle looks really small, and the sequence looked "cutscene-y", so I think that it might be related to the story somewhat.

Do you think we will have a magic meter in this game? I wouldn't rule out the possibility, personally. The puddle looks really small, and the sequence looked "cutscene-y", so I think that it might be related to the story somewhat.
Yeah, I think magic will come back into the mix. BOTW did a great job using technology instead of magic, but they need to kick some things up a notch, and magic is probably the best way to justify their new ideas. If there is magic I imagine there will be a magic meter, maybe not, we just don't have enough information. The sequence looks "cutscene-y", but it could be a zoom in of an animation.

Bonkers idea I had on my way home.

I'm riffing off of the "we're going to be playing as the hero from 10.000 years ago" theory/speculation here. Which I don't think is true. However - what if we get to play as the hero before 10.000 years ago? Imagine a Hyrule ruled by the Zonai, where Ganondorf is still at large, and you have to play as the hero who seals him, while you also play as Link who has to deal with when Ganondorf gets unsealed. The hero and Link are both bound across time by the mysterious hand, and the hand can allow the player to travel between them.

I got thinking, because 10.000 years ago, Hyrule was dominated by the advanced Sheikh tech. And I don't think BotW2 is going the "tech" route, that was one and done in BotW. BotW2 is going to focus on history, on the ancient and foregone. And remember, 10.000 years ago was still the time of the Calamity, and I think the popular theory that the Calamity is just Ganondorf's puppet is true. If Ganondorf rose to power before 10.000 years ago, only to get sealed by what I really think is a mysterious hand of Zonai origin, then that would make much more sense as a setting for an alternative Hyrule, than 10.000 years ago.

I won't lie, I kinda doze off whenever fan speculation videos start talking about the Zonai. I think fans put way more emphasis into them than warranted. I believe the intent of their ruins is just to provide a sense of mystery to the environments. They are ruins of a forgotten people. We are not supposed to know everything about them like how we don't know everything about ancient civilizations in our own world. And yet, many Zelda fans really want them integrated into the plot. I think they should just be left as a mystery. Hyrule is an ancient land with a long history. There are some mysteries we can solve but many that we won't ever explanations for and I think that's the way it should be.

I won't lie, I kinda doze off whenever fan speculation videos start talking about the Zonai. I think fans put way more emphasis into them than warranted. I believe the intent of their ruins is just to provide a sense of mystery to the environments. They are ruins of a forgotten people. We are not supposed to know everything about them like how we don't know everything about ancient civilizations in our own world. And yet, many Zelda fans really want them integrated into the plot. I think they should just be left as a mystery. Hyrule is an ancient land with a long history. There are some mysteries we can solve but many that we won't ever explanations for and I think that's the way it should be.

I totally understand that. I just personally can't shake the feeling that they're involved one way or another. The writings in trailer 1 seems to show that some people of some kind were involved in fighting Ganondorf, and I do think that, architecture-wise, the ruins match the Zonai ruins, and I'm sort of on board with th theory that the hand is of their origin as well.

I think some kind of civilisation, ancient or not, is going to be present in BotW2, and I think it's related to the eye symbols on the shield and the enemy. The world is full of architecture, and I don't think it's there without a proper explanation. And with the Zonai already in the context of BotW's world, I'm not sure if they will pull another civilisation up. Or maybe they will, I don't know.

Will BOTW2 E3 2022 trailer beat E3 2016 trailer as a "first proper 3 minute trailer with closer look at a game"? (not counting Switch presentation trailer here, as we knew a lot of information about BOTW when that trailer aired).

Oh and I can't wait how at the end of the trailer they will for sure drop the final name, be sure to watch it live.

Will BOTW2 E3 2022 trailer beat E3 2016 trailer as a "first proper 3 minute trailer with closer look at a game"? (not counting Switch presentation trailer here, as we knew a lot of information about BOTW when that trailer aired).

Oh and I can't wait how at the end of the trailer they will for sure drop the final name, be sure to watch it live.

I absolutely think so. If they show it, it would be nuts for the game to have 4 teasers in a row now. I see little reason why the next time we see it won't be a blowout.

Unless they pull the SS 2009 trick and just show a key artwork.

Or maybe they'll pull the SS 2021 trick...as in they'll announce a Zelda remake (or two) when everybody just wants to see BOTW2. There would definitely still be a blowout, just not the one you were hoping for.

They've been so deliberate about keeping the final name a secret, I'm not convinced they want to announce it like 9 months before its release. though maybe you two are right, and there's no way they can just tease it again. I mean there'd be hell to pay for sure if they did, but I would guess they've got some other big stuff planned for the E3 direct so it probably won't be all that detrimental overall to not have a full reveal.

Going of with how things did with BOTW which got blowout 9 months before release with many footage of Treehouse gameplay etc. I think this is it, this is our time.

And if they are really confident they could also annouce exact release date (March 3rd, 2023). Animal Crossing got exact release date 9 months prior too, but this is Zelda so am sure they will still keep the vague "Spring 2023" until they are 100% confident.

Or maybe they'll pull the SS 2021 trick...as in they'll announce a Zelda remake (or two) when everybody just wants to see BOTW2. There would definitely still be a blowout, just not the one you were hoping for.

They've been so deliberate about keeping the final name a secret, I'm not convinced they want to announce it like 9 months before its release. though maybe you two are right, and there's no way they can just tease it again. I mean there'd be hell to pay for sure if they did, but I would guess they've got some other big stuff planned for the E3 direct so it probably won't be all that detrimental overall to not have a full reveal.
I believe someone - can't remember if it's Aonuma or Trinen - commented that the name gives away details they aren't discussing yet. This was shortly after E3 2021. Whenever they're ready to actually go into what's new in the game, we'll know the name -and I imagine that's not too far from now. Nintendo is generally okay with having a longer marketing cycle for Zelda compared to other games.

I saw some speculation about this a year or two ago. When Fujibayashi was working on the Oracle games he wanted to make a trilogy, but as we know it was shaved down to only two games..
He's been playing the long game, fought his way up the Zelda hierarchy just so he could return to the Oracle games, release a trilogy-in-one pack, and right this horrible wrong.

I believe someone - can't remember if it's Aonuma or Trinen - commented that the name gives away details they aren't discussing yet. This was shortly after E3 2021. Whenever they're ready to actually go into what's new in the game, we'll know the name -and I imagine that's not too far from now. Nintendo is generally okay with having a longer marketing cycle for Zelda compared to other games.
Breath of the Wild II: The Adventure of Zelda

Something hit me.

In the short clip of Link descending in front of the Talus Bokoblin camp, he's descending from .. where exactly? The shot is in the middle of Hyrule Field, I can't think of any possible location to drop from.

Surely not Revali's Gale?

Ooooooor, will we, against all odds, be able to drop from the sky directly down below? (Albeit with loading times)

Something hit me.

In the short clip of Link descending in front of the Talus Bokoblin camp, he's descending from .. where exactly? The shot is in the middle of Hyrule Field, I can't think of any possible location to drop from.

Surely not Revali's Gale?

Ooooooor, will we, against all odds, be able to drop from the sky directly down below? (Albeit with loading times)
... i mean, so many options, that its really not worth thinking about. i asume, it was mostly because it looks good with a camera sweep for the trailer, and does not show to much?

Oh, and since the camera is not locked behind link its only possible with the dev build, so...yeah, was only so that they could show of the camp

Thinking about it...heck, if everything in my life goes as planed, then maybe i'll have moved, finished university, having a good job and a good OLED TV... NINTENDO! you need to put out a switch with HDR support and better resolution with this game! i comand you!

I don't think we'll get as big of a blowout as BOTW did in 2016 because I think they were still targeting holiday 2016 at the time. So I think Nintendo will hold some more things back to save for later marketing. But I still think we will get a very indepth look at E3 with a title reveal.

I don't think we'll get as big of a blowout as BOTW did in 2016 because I think they were still targeting holiday 2016 at the time. So I think Nintendo will hold some more things back to save for later marketing. But I still think we will get a very indepth look at E3 with a title reveal.
No they weren't. It was delayed in April 2016 and announced as a Spring 2017 game for both Wii U and Switch. At E3 it was already clear that Zelda is not Holiday 2016 game.

Either way, I don't think 2016 is a good basis for comparison given the situation Nintendo found themselves in at that time.
Nintendo will have many more games releasing before The Sequel that they want people to give proper attention to.

You can’t really take much from the past to compare with this year. We haven’t had a year without E3 in like forever, so we don’t know what Nintendo will do (not counting 2020 because the pandemic through everyone off. This scenario doesn’t apply to this year for Nintendo’s general directs).

I could see them waiting until September. There won’t be a show floor to show BotW 2 off to fans in June. They could also have a lot of games they want to get spotlight and not have BotW 2 takeaway from them.

And i think, since they ha so much to show just on the plateu since it was such a break, they could milk that for longer.
Now that we had a whole game, and dont need to sell us on the concept, i feel like they will hold it closer to the chest till release.

I feel like 6 months before (september, maybe even december direct) would be fine.

You can’t really take much from the past to compare with this year. We haven’t had a year without E3 in like forever, so we don’t know what Nintendo will do (not counting 2020 because the pandemic through everyone off. This scenario doesn’t apply to this year for Nintendo’s general directs).

I could see them waiting until September. There won’t be a show floor to show BotW 2 off to fans in June. They could also have a lot of games they want to get spotlight and not have BotW 2 takeaway from them.
Well in this case, I could see a Zelda Direct in September or something, but obviously after Splatoon 3 releases. But I don't know, seems strange to me that they would skip it in this June's Direct (if there is one), and I don't think they will give another teaser 3rd time in a row. It has to be 2-3 minute full trailer at this point, just release this and they could leave all the gameplay and details for later in the year. But still remember how we all thought it will be in February 2021 Direct? And how was Aonuma apologizing that they are not ready yet, but this is different since we are closer to release.

Either way, I don't think 2016 is a good basis for comparison given the situation Nintendo found themselves in at that time.
Nintendo will have many more games releasing before The Sequel that they want people to give proper attention to.

This is an excellent point that many overlook. For BOTW, it was all they had. It was the life saver they were clutching to assure their audience they had something in the horizon.

Now, they have so much, beginning the proper marketing push would be counterproductive for everything. It would distract from the more imminent games and the imminent games would distract from the BOTW2 push. There is a reason to think that maybe !E3 time won't be the starting chime after all.

It makes sense, but the gnashing from the certain parts of the fan base will be unbearable. Not looking forward to that.

Maybe they'll do an Animal Crossing type thing where they announce an announcement.

I'm with you. There's something else that's releasing for the holidays, and it's gonna need it's moment in the sun, especially because it's a complete unknown. I can see a story trailer for BotW2, or another teaser, but I'm not expecting a blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom