• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Seriously though this post is great; I teach modern lit at University level and students always get caught up on authors being "influenced" - influence is complex, multifaceted, and both conscious and unconscious, and rarely as simple as people think it is - you can be influenced by the coffee you drank in the morning, the object you stubbed your toe on, the tree in your garden, as much as the last popular or great art/entertainment that came along)
Indeed, influence can -- and does! -- come from anywhere and affect any person in any number of ways. And, very often, the influenced invidual won't even recognize it.

Think of it: for every statement of "this is my influence for this project," how many other influences hide unrealized? Might not their effect rightly prove more potent than that which is consciously recognized?

Further, two people drawing from similar influences are still likely to create two (nigh) completely different results.

It isn't as simple as saying [person or art] was influenced by [thing], though it very well might have a place in studying a movement academically -- in which case, it's still usually much more complicated.

the irony being that these very interviews with the Nintendo developers are what inspired that part of my post :p
A brilliant example, really, because -- while the connection is obviously there -- it wasn't evident that the interviews necessarily played a role. That part of the post could have existed just as easily if those interviews didn't exist or weren't readily available: you already knew the information about Miyamoto gardening, but the interview segment about traits in developers brought it to the forefront as something that should be mentioned.

The inspiration isn't always making itself obvious, even when it's staring you in the face.

Likewise, my note about Miyamoto's mountain hike connects to that concept, but was tied to the discussion through exposition on not needing to look at different games for concepts that can be found in the series already or which exemplify the original inspiration. But one wouldn't be blamed for assuming the mention came about from the interview..

Or, who knows, I would have read your post before responding to it. It could have been that your gardening reference played a role.

One can't always tell what the inspiration of something is, and it's beneficial to acknowledge this.

For instance, those book blurbs: there's no reason to assume the book is inspired by that combination, but the comparison is created to pitch the book to an agent, or to a publisher, or to prospective readers.

Further, two people drawing from similar influences are still likely to create two (nigh) completely different results.

It isn't as simple as saying [person or art] was influenced by [thing], though it very well might have a place in studying a movement academically -- in which case, it's still usually much more complicated.
There's also the very fun opposite example when some artist is interviewed and outright asked "were you inspired by [similar thing]?" and they (believably) tell them that they actually never heard of it until later (or ever). it's equally magical when two people create very similar things with a completely different set of explicit and implicit influences that nevertheless lead to results that very closely resemble one another. of course those frequently can get labeled as "nah, they probably just lying or forgetting" because that is often easier to believe.

To jump on another point: I'm also reminded of a lot of these indie kickstarters or "help, please pay attention!" press releases that go out of their way to highlight how they were influenced by all your darlings, always predictably the same ones: super metroid, dark souls, earthbound, majora's mask, symphony of the night, mega man, resident evil, silent hill. we've all seen countless of them. those are often really good examples for the very narrow definition of influence where you can tell they just wanted you to know "hey we're trying to play in a similar box to your classic fave" or "yea we liked those games so much and we just went and picked certain things and replicated them 1:1". that's why many of them are always difficult to parse and end up disappointing by the end because they made such a big fuss about the "inspirations" that created very specific images in players' heads that cannot possibly be reached.

So to wrap back around, when Aonuma tells you the people on the team are playing Red Dead 2, as has been brought up here in the other posts, that might just ultimately mean "our vibe is a big game where you sometimes ride a horse and can do lots of different things, here is this popular reference point". Which means there probably won't be any HD Rumble testicles for either Link or the horses.

The surface phasing feels like a reimagining of the Link Between Worlds wall merging - a 2D mechanic for a 2D Zelda - into a 3D mechanic for a 3D Zelda. Instead of "on", you're "through".

In LBW, it was fun re-exploring a familiar overworld by becoming a mural and walking along inaccessible surfaces. Now we have this opportunity in the sequel for BotW. Let us phase into the Statue of the 8th Heroine to find a Gerudo colosseum, or beneath the Forgotten Temple to find Skyloftian ruins - just some thoughts.

The surface phasing feels like a reimagining of the Link Between Worlds wall merging - a 2D mechanic for a 2D Zelda - into a 3D mechanic for a 3D Zelda. Instead of "on", you're "through".

In LBW, it was fun re-exploring a familiar overworld by becoming a mural and walking along inaccessible surfaces. Now we have this opportunity in the sequel for BotW. Let us phase into the Statue of the 8th Heroine to find a Gerudo colosseum, or beneath the Forgotten Temple to find Skyloftian ruins - just some thoughts.
Yea I really hope that stuff is a cool way to transition from indoor to outdoor in some places, letting you discover caverns or get around obstacles in alternate ways. Imo, that mechanic feels like the strongest indicator for some sort of cave network we've seen, even though the only visual example we have is Link beaming onto one of the sky islands. At the very least the way the patent is described doesn't feel like it's being shown in the 2019 trailer so I hope I'm not falling into a nonsense pit here.

Funnily enough, the game being Spring 2023 follows the trend that every new 3D Zelda games takes more time than the previous one to be completed.

Which is not bad at all, but it's surprising that Nintendo allows the games to be 5+ years on development.

Funnily enough, the game being Spring 2023 follows the trend that every new 3D Zelda games takes more time than the previous one to be completed.

Which is not bad at all, but it's surprising that Nintendo allows the games to be 5+ years on development.
contrary to your EAs and Activisions etc, they can afford the game to be late. they can't afford the game to be ... not as good as it could have been.

contrary to your EAs and Activisions etc, they can afford the game to be late. they can't afford the game to be ... not as good as it could have been.
Yeah of course, but the trend of "every game taking more than the last one" is not ideal either way. I can understand why TP took more years than TWW (which is a known rushed title), and why BotW was on development for so long (and we all know that the game was delayed to be released with the Switch), but SS being that long on development is kind of bad, and having a game with the same engine, art style, similar graphic fidelity, a part of the world re-used... being developed for 6 years is kind of strange, even if the final game is the best thing ever and considering the COVID delays.

I'm completely fine with Nintendo letting the Zelda team experiment, re-iterate and polish their game to the best standard possible (at the end BotW is my favorite game ever), but I also think Nintendo should consider reviewing the Zelda team workflow.

Yeah of course, but the trend of "every game taking more than the last one" is not ideal either way. I can understand why TP took more years than TWW (which is a known rushed title), and why BotW was on development for so long (and we all know that the game was delayed to be released with the Switch), but SS being that long on development is kind of bad, and having a game with the same engine, art style, similar graphic fidelity, a part of the world re-used... being developed for 6 years is kind of strange, even if the final game is the best thing ever and considering the COVID delays.

I'm completely fine with Nintendo letting the Zelda team experiment, re-iterate and polish their game to the best standard possible (at the end BotW is my favorite game ever), but I also think Nintendo should consider reviewing the Zelda team workflow.
The Covid of it all is something you can't step around, though. It's literally the reason that it's taking longer than the previous time. And I'm still feeling strongly about people often leaning too strongly on the "(part of) the world is being reused" angle. They still need to redesign it. Yes they're not literally remolding clay from a bunch of globs on the ground but everything still has to get redesigned to facilitate this new game experience and work with new/different mechanics and whatnot. There'll never be another Majora's Mask where they literally plop all the character models and textures into new configurations and add a bit more on top and then ship it in a relatively short time after the predecessor.

The Covid of it all is something you can't step around, though. It's literally the reason that it's taking longer than the previous time. And I'm still feeling strongly about people often leaning too strongly on the "(part of) the world is being reused" angle. They still need to redesign it. Yes they're not literally remolding clay from a bunch of globs on the ground but everything still has to get redesigned to facilitate this new game experience and work with new/different mechanics and whatnot. There'll never be another Majora's Mask where they literally plop all the character models and textures into new configurations and add a bit more on top and then ship it in a relatively short time after the predecessor.
I wonder if having less help from Monolithsoft (which is speculation from my side, but I suppose that Monolith needs more people to do XC3 and that they are not lending so much hands to Aonuma this time) also has affected the development.

About the world re-use, it's a big mistery for now. We have seen Death Mountain and the stone trees area in the trailer, but we can't assess how different the experience is. What we clearly know is that a significat % of the ground topology, or at least the base structure of the world, remains unchanged.

Either way my post was about the development time in a broader scope, not only about BotW sequel, I'd be happy to have the new 3D Zelda game on 2028 and to see the Zelda 3D team releasing games every 4 years or so.

I wonder if having less help from Monolithsoft (which is speculation from my side, but I suppose that Monolith needs more people to do XC3 and that they are not lending so much hands to Aonuma this time) also has affected the development.
MonolithSoft has a dedicated production group to asssist with BotW2. Takahashi's PG1 is a wholly distinct group and they've (MLS as a whole) been hiring and hiring the entire time. That's certainly not an issue.

It's like the exact opposite of Batman reboots.
28pgEw1_d.webp

It should be noted Monolith has more than doubled in size since 2017. It's possible for them to have the same amount of staff working on BotW2 while having twice as many people working on Xenoblade 3 than they did for 2.

To be fair I'd say that the wait between BotW and BotW 2 has not felt long to me.

I remember that waiting for TP felt really really long, same for SS and BotW. But for some reason, even if BotW was released more than 5 years ago, it still feels like a new game to me. It may be related to me being older and having less time to think about it, but also BotW has been one of the most relevant games ever, we have been watching lots of clips of people breaking the game, lots of discussions about if it's the best game/open world ever... and the newest shiny darling of the gaming community, Elden Ring, has been clearly inspired by BotW. So it's like BotW has never left my life since March 2017, which is a strange thought to have to be honest.

What's more important is that BotW 2 won't be only the next Zelda game, will be the sequel to the game that changed how we see open worlds and what I think is the game that has been more discussed as "best game ever" during the last 10 years or so. So yeah Nintendo has some work to do.

I have a theory as to a gameplay reason why Link's corrupted arm has long, sharp fingernails.

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2-e3-2021_6143551.jpg

Nintendo commonly starts with gameplay first and then works to the story or in-game lore reasons afterwards, especially in Zelda. The arm cover, contraption is likely a way to show Link controlling or channeling his new powers. But why would he need long fingernails? After all, he only gets those nails after the green hand possesses his corrupted right arm and he has normal nails even as it's first having its energy manifest within his hand.

It was only later, when I was watching the BOTW GDC video, where I saw the art director going over some initial concept art. In it, we see various concept arts shown of "what if" ideas that were never used in the first game that eventually came to fruition in the DLC and some later in the sequel. "Bike Link" came to be in the Champion's Ballad DLC with the Master Cycle, Ganondorf waiting atop a floating island, the broken Master Sword, a corrupted am, an arm that uses powers, etc.

But there's a concept art that I still think could be used in the sequel - what they called "musician Link". The image they showed to represent that idea was tracksuit Link playing a Triforce guitar with a triforce pick. Would Link play an electric guitar in the sequel? I find it unlikely given that the concept was already used in Majora's Mask for the Zora Guitar. So if "musician Link" returns (which I think is likely, given that instruments are frequently featured throughout the series), what instrument could he play?
s8j09fpx16201.jpg

Well, that's where the "gameplay" reason behind Link's long fingernails on his right hand come from: he's going to use them to play a stringed instrument. What kind? I've looked over various instruments that are plucked/strummed using nails of some kind and there's two that I found that best fit the "musician Link" concept art and utilize these new longer nails.

A classical or acoustic guitar...
guitar-nails.jpg

or a traditional Ainu instrument, the Tonkori
option_tonkori.jpg

What do you all think? Will "musician Link" return? If so, what other potential instruments could he play? Is there a gameplay significance to Link's longer fingernails or is it purely aesthetic?

I think he has long nails because the original hand has long nails

Yes, but the question was is there a functional reason for the design. After all, the core gameplay was likely conceived before the disembodied hand was.

I have a theory as to a gameplay reason why Link's corrupted arm has long, sharp fingernails.

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-2-e3-2021_6143551.jpg

Nintendo commonly starts with gameplay first and then works to the story or in-game lore reasons afterwards, especially in Zelda. The arm cover, contraption is likely a way to show Link controlling or channeling his new powers. But why would he need long fingernails? After all, he only gets those nails after the green hand possesses his corrupted right arm and he has normal nails even as it's first having its energy manifest within his hand.

It was only later, when I was watching the BOTW GDC video, where I saw the art director going over some initial concept art. In it, we see various concept arts shown of "what if" ideas that were never used in the first game that eventually came to fruition in the DLC and some later in the sequel. "Bike Link" came to be in the Champion's Ballad DLC with the Master Cycle, Ganondorf waiting atop a floating island, the broken Master Sword, a corrupted am, an arm that uses powers, etc.

But there's a concept art that I still think could be used in the sequel - what they called "musician Link". The image they showed to represent that idea was tracksuit Link playing a Triforce guitar with a triforce pick. Would Link play an electric guitar in the sequel? I find it unlikely given that the concept was already used in Majora's Mask for the Zora Guitar. So if "musician Link" returns (which I think is likely, given that instruments are frequently featured throughout the series), what instrument could he play?
s8j09fpx16201.jpg

Well, that's where the "gameplay" reason behind Link's long fingernails on his right hand come from: he's going to use them to play a stringed instrument. What kind? I've looked over various instruments that are plucked/strummed using nails of some kind and there's two that I found that best fit the "musician Link" concept art and utilize these new longer nails.

A classical or acoustic guitar...
guitar-nails.jpg

or a traditional Ainu instrument, the Tonkori
option_tonkori.jpg

What do you all think? Will "musician Link" return? If so, what other potential instruments could he play? Is there a gameplay significance to Link's longer fingernails or is it purely aesthetic?
abcdae0cbffdc383f2830a95c64f804e821f769fr1-219-200_00.gif

idk, I'm just here for Link to shred and then ride off on the motorcycle he already has with his mane blowing in the wind

I just think development time increased since the GC era and we had Covid slow down production. Game would probably be out by now without it.
Horizon FW will have released just 1 year before the sequel and they were probably hit less by Covid. So they would have a similar development time for a direct sequel. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I also feel like Nintendo is less pushy this gen because they plan to take their time with the Switch since year 2. It took off and having all their teams working on 1 system didn't require them to push for titles to get out faster. Switch will still have 2 mainline Zelda game at the end of the day.

After all this time i still don't believe that someone in Nintendo presented that Scooby Doo Link with a straight face

Regarding that Nintendo always makes gameplay first, I don’t think it’s always true, the reason Link had a ponytail iirc was something like “we ran out of ways to make him look cool”.

Saying this because many think that Zeldas short hair is designed around the gameplay of her being playable. I really am in the theory that her short hair is just a fashion element.

But will there be towns? We all know BOTW wasn’t going to have towns. But then it did have some. In fact, it had a record. Let’s compare.

Original: 0

Adventure of Link: 7
  • Rauro
  • Ruto
  • Saria
  • Mido
  • Nabooru
  • Darunia
  • New Kasuto
A Link to the Past: 2
  • Kakariko Town
  • Village of Outcasts
Link’s Awakening: 2
  • Mabe Village (pronounced ma-be, right?)
  • Animal Village
Ocarina of Time: 7
  • Kokiri Forest
  • Lon Lon Ranch
  • Castle Town Market
  • Kakariko Village
  • Goron City
  • Zora’s Domain
  • Gerudo Fortress
Majora’s Mask: 6
  • Clock Town
  • Deku Palace
  • Goron Village
  • Zora Hall
  • Romani Ranch
Oracle of Seasons: 4
  • Horon Village
  • Sunken City
  • Subrosia Village
  • Goron Mountain
Oracle of Ages: 4
  • Lynna City/Village
  • Symmetry City
  • Zora Village
  • Rolling Ridge (Home of the Gorons)
The Wind Waker: 4
  • Outset Island
  • Windfall Island
  • Dragon Roost Island
  • Forest Haven
Four Swords Adventures: 3
  • Village of the Blue Maiden
  • Gerudo Village
  • Kakariko Village
The Minish Cap: 4
  • Hyrule Town
  • Minish Village
  • Melari’s Mine
  • Home of the Wind Tribe
Twilight Princess: 5
  • Ordon Village
  • Kakariko Village
  • Death Mountain (Home of the Gorons)
  • Zora’s Domain
  • Castle Town
Phantom Hourglass: 4
  • Mercay Island
  • Molida Island
  • Goron Island
  • Isle of Frost (Home of the Anouki)
Spirit Tracks: 6
  • Outset Village
  • Castle Town
  • Mayscore
  • Anouki Village
  • Papuzia Village
  • Goron Village
Skyward Sword: 2
  • Skyloft
  • Pumpkin Landing
A Link Between Worlds: 3
  • Kakariko Village
  • Zora’s Domain
  • Thieves’ Town
Triforce Heroes: 1
  • Hytopia Castle Town
Breath of the Wild: 25
  • Kakariko Village
  • Hateno Village
  • Zora’s Domain
  • Goron City
  • Korok Forest
  • Rito Village
  • Kara Kara Bazaar
  • Gerudo Town
  • Lurelin Village
  • Tarry Town
  • Riverside Stable
  • Duelling Peaks Stable
  • Highland Stable
  • Lakeside Stable
  • Wetland Stable
  • Foothill Stable
  • East Akkala Stable
  • South Akkala Stable
  • Serenne Stable
  • Gerudo Canyon Stable
  • Outskirt Stable
  • Tabantha Bridge Stable
  • Rito Stable
  • Snowfield Stable
  • Woodland Stable
So the last time an iterative sequel came out, there were 50% more towns, so we can safely say BOTW2 will have 37 towns.

• Kakariko Village
  • Hateno Village
  • Zora’s Domain
  • Goron City
  • Korok Forest
  • Rito Village
  • Kara Kara Bazaar
  • Gerudo Town
  • Lurelin Village
  • Tarry Town
  • Riverside Stable
  • Duelling Peaks Stable
  • Highland Stable
  • Lakeside Stable
  • Wetland Stable
  • Foothill Stable
  • East Akkala Stable
  • South Akkala Stable
  • Serenne Stable
  • Gerudo Canyon Stable
  • Outskirt Stable
  • Tabantha Bridge Stable
  • Rito Stable
  • Snowfield Stable
  • Woodland Stable
So the last time an iterative sequel came out, there were 50% more towns, so we can safely say BOTW2 will have 37 towns.
Lmao how did you count this ? Obviously it's ironic but still. xD

• Kakariko Village
  • Hateno Village
  • Zora’s Domain
  • Goron City
  • Korok Forest
  • Rito Village
  • Kara Kara Bazaar
  • Gerudo Town
  • Lurelin Village
  • Tarry Town
  • Riverside Stable
  • Duelling Peaks Stable
  • Highland Stable
  • Lakeside Stable
  • Wetland Stable
  • Foothill Stable
  • East Akkala Stable
  • South Akkala Stable
  • Serenne Stable
  • Gerudo Canyon Stable
  • Outskirt Stable
  • Tabantha Bridge Stable
  • Rito Stable
  • Snowfield Stable
  • Woodland Stable
Remove all the stables + Kara Kara Bazar + Korok Forest and you have the actual town number. Those 3 are not towns

Last edited:
Remove all the stables + Kara Kara Bazar + Korok Forest and you have the actual town number. Those 3 are not towns
Korok Forest is marked with a town icon and is no less a town than Kokiri Forest or Forest Haven. The Kara Kara Bazaar is more of a town than a lot of other towns I mentioned and lets be honest, that's true of the stables. I gave Ocarina of Time Lon Lon Ranch after all.

Even without those, there's still 8, which is still more than any others.

Ok stables are definitely not towns, I can see the argument for Kara Kara Bazaar, but how is Korok Forest not a town
I just personally can't consider it a town. My main complaint is its size. It's just too small. Yes it has the town icon and the different shops but everything is concentrated in one small spot next/inside the Great Deku Tree. With that size I can barely consider it a town. For me it just feels like a variation of the stables but without the ability to get your horse. Tarrey town is slightly bigger, but at least it looks like a town.

Last edited:
Been thinking about that patent regarding skydiving and full 360 degree bow aiming a lot recently. And that we might get some form of mid-air combat.

The potential for mid-air combat has me really excited.

It could be:

• Shooting up towards an obstacle above with the phasing ability but be able stop mid-phase, and falling/skydiving afterwards.
  • Some sort of new paraglider abilities, I keep combing back to the possibility of being able to "boost forward", at the expense of more stamina.
  • Having some kind of hook shot-like ability with the arm sounds like an essential part of mid-air combat, and Link can make use of flying enemies and maybe suspended landmass debris as latching points.
  • A crazy one is maybe have the rewind ability be able to rewind Link himself for a few seconds, thus be able to stop an incoming fall, or try a tricky shot again.
  • The slow-down ability in mid-air would be essential too, of course.
  • The 360 degree bow aiming, of course, in combination with the slow-down ability, could make for some really cool opportunities for combat.

I keep coming back to the beginning of LotR: Two Towers where Gandalf and the Balrog fight each other while falling.

Just thinking out loud here.

The potential for mid-air combat has me really excited.
It makes sense for the setting, and would be one great defining aspect for the sequel. We may even have a better kite unlocked through the game that allows Link do move freely the hands while flying, allowing more options while not limiting the player's movility that much at the start.

Last edited:

So, according to the italian Daruk voice, he dubbed a game with a more serious Daruk ancestor (or an ancient Goron? he doesn't remember the name, the interviewer make a "Darunia?" slide in the question, but he doesn't remember).

So, according to the italian Daruk voice, he dubbed a game with a more serious Daruk ancestor (or an ancient Goron? he doesn't remember the name, the interviewer make a "Darunia?" slide in the question, but he doesn't remember).

Ohhhh

Adding information:
  • Game has yet to be published (BOTW 2of course)
  • He finished his work 2 days ago (28 April)
  • The interviewer (the youtuber) says that Pietro Ubaldi (the voice) is not dubbing "only Daruk"

Very interesting if true, but why would a voice actor risk it all and reveal info that is undoubtedly the subject of the strictest NDAs in the business?
I forgot her name, but the girl who is working on Xenoblade 3 basically gave it away in an interview too

Very interesting if true, but why would a voice actor risk it all and reveal info that is undoubtedly the subject of the strictest NDAs in the business?

I can give my 2 cents here. I'm Italian, I know some people in the dubbing industry.

First, generally no one cares and no one enforces anything. The secrecy trend started with Disney and Marvel and still very much limited to that.

Second, interviews to dubbers are pretty much a niche within a niche, so things are open secrets most of the time. Imagine this like working at Nintendo and a Zelda dev talking to a Splatoon dev in the coffee break. You are talking about secret stuff in theory, but it doesn't get spread.

Third, the dubbing industry in Italy is magnitudes of times bigger than most other nations as everything that goes on streaming platforms, TV and theaters is dubbed. We do not consume any media with subtitles. The voice actors have so much work they generally don't even remember what and when they voiced something. Pietro Ubaldi specifically is a veteran of 40+ years in the industry, he most likely doesn't really realise he's technically leaking info people are obsessively trying to detect for years. For him it may very well have been just another thursday afternoon in the booth dubbing yet another videogame he won't ever play.

To give you a concrete example, maybe some people from ERA will remember because I talked about it in Etctetera a couple of times, I knew the last Evangelion movie was coming exclusively to Prime Video, I knew when it was coming and I knew who dubbed it and how it ended months before the movie even came out in Japan. The movie released in March 2021, I learned all of this around Christmas.

I can give my 2 cents here sin here. I'm Italian, I know some people in the dubbing industry.

First, generally no one cares and no one enforces anything. The secrecy trend started with Disney and Marvel and still very much limited to that.

Second, interviews to dubbers are pretty much a niche within a niche, so things are open secrets most of the time.

Third, the dubbing industry in Italy is magnitudes of times bigger than most other nations as everything that goes on Netflix, TV and theaters is dubbed. We do not consume any media with subtitles. The voice actors have so much work they generally don't even remember what and when they voiced something. Pietro Ubaldi specifically is a veteran of 40+ years in the industry, he most likely doesn't really realise he's technically leaking info people are obsessively trying to detect for years.

To give you a concrete example, maybe some people from ERA will remember because I talked about it in Etctetera a couple of times, I knew the last Evangelion movie was coming exclusively to Prime Video, I knew when it was coming and I knew who dubbed it and how it ended months before the movie even came out in Japan. The movie released in March 2021, I learned all of this around Christmas.
Wow, thanks for your insight. If you come across new info about the dubbing of BotW2, feel free to share it here! ;-)

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for your insight. If you ever come across new info regarding the dubbing of BotW2, feel free to share it here! ;-)

I am not confortable with being in the spotlight and I don't want to annoy people how just want to do their job and get their paychecks, so I won't leak or hint anything.

And to be entirely clear, I do not work in the industry or live in it. I just know people who work in it and like normal people we often chat about how life is going and also how is work going, so the chances of me coming across actual relevant information is very, very, very unlikely. I only really care about finding out what anime is getting dubbed, and dubbing anime 99.9% of the times involves dubbing material that already aired. Evangelion was a super special case because Hideaki Anno himself wanted the movie to have an international launch so works on the localization started before the movie was released in Japan, so technically everyone was working with not public content. I was, and to a lesser degree still am, obsessed with Evangelion and I did some networking after catching word by a 3rd party of it being localized. The only reason I learned about the ending was because this person I talked to found it super weird and they weren't a fan of how they closed the franchise.

Basically what I can tell you is that this "leak" is entirely in the realm of likelyhood, I do not have any qualitative info on it and I don't think I'll ever will.

I also advice you to not take it as gospel. Dubbing a videogame is awful for the voice actors: they don't know who they are dubbing, they don't see any footage of the game and they are given less than minimum info. This generally not because of secrecy but because games are dubbed before the games are in a presentable state (and to save money).

EDIT: Watching the actual "interview" (15 seconds of clip) it's clear he's not even totally sure if he really was dubbing an ancient Daruk relative. He didn't even know if he was dubbing for a new game and if this new game/new edition was out yet.

The voice actors have so much work they generally don't even remember what and when they voiced something. Pietro Ubaldi specifically is a veteran of 40+ years in the industry, he most likely doesn't really realise he's technically leaking info people are obsessively trying to detect for years.

Let's just say I'm glad that Pietro didn't drop any character names or any other relevant info (for his sake) and that we already know the game is coming next year (for our sake).

So I guess this either implies some ancient Sages in some sort of, like, sacredy kinda place, almost a realm of some sort.
OR it implies an ancient Hyrule, perhaps one during a magitech-advanced phase of its history.

Now we really have to wonder if some of the game takes place over 10,000 years ago.

Remember when the Spanish VAs for Zelda and Revali leaked they had worked on a "second Zelda game" in 2020, and then there was a ton of backtracking saying they were just joking, and then a couple months later Age of Calamity was announced? 😅

Remember when the Spanish VAs for Zelda and Revali leaked they had worked on a "second Zelda game" in 2020, and then there was a ton of backtracking saying they were just joking, and then a couple months later Age of Calamity was announced? 😅
The Nintendo Summer 2022 Digital Event happens and they announce Age of Calamity Legends… only for Nintendo 3DS.

Seriously though, they’re not releasing yet another game between now and spring 2023 with Daruk’s voice actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom