• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in all. Seems this trailer was to show off the world and it’s 4 player co-op mostly.

Which is a shame for me since I didn’t find it all that interesting in the end. And very little new Pokémon Revealed kinda sucked.

Doesn’t matter, with it releasing so soon. We’ll be seeing much more sooner rather then later.

Violet professor looking like he's gonna give me the rank of Paladin in the Brotherhood of Steel.

If by cold catching you mean catching without initiating battle, what makes you think that's gone? There seems to be stealth/crouching which would suggest cold catching, no?
They had sneaking in ORAS and it worked completely differently.

Looks amazing. Best character and Pokémon designs since Gen 3 so far. Love that we finally have a hot professor, and that we have two! Love Lechonk. First time I can remember thinking the legendaries looked cool since being a little kid. Exploring with friends looks great. A+

Well hello there Professor Turo 👀

Both legendaries looking good, so with Turo and the violet looking nicer for the uniform, Violet it is!

I really like both legendaries and boxarts and didn't know which one I wanted, but yeah, only one of them has a daddy professor so

Pawmi threw me off because it sounds exactly like Lillipup, but I would have been surprised if it was a regional variant since they look nothing alike.

I love the new Pokemon. Lechonk is obviously an instant fave but Smoliv and Pawmi are charming too. I even like the overdesigned legendaries, there’s a good flow to their visual elements and the ornate designs fit the vibes of Poke-Spain, in my mind.

I think Violet has the cooler looking Professor and Legendary, but I’m still going Scarlet. For now…

EDIT: The human characters look fine but I definitely liked the SwSh style better.

The professors almost look like real human beings and I hate it.

p12_02-m.jpg

iu

I think I am in. Would probably go with Violet based on the legendary alone.

Also, praise le chonky.

I don't understand why humans in the Pokémon world don't produce any sound other than footsteps. It's the weirdest thing.

I don't like Koraidon. Miraidon is a little better. The rest of the new Pokémon have great designs, though

Since i dont play pokemon, i just watched it to check the visuals.

Again, they absolutely seem like an improvement from past pokemon games, GF is not a visual powerhouse like NLG or Monolith and Retro, but they re slowly but steadily getting better =)

I do like dem trees a lot tho, they look fantastic, funny considering how mocked sword and shield were for their ugly trees.

Lmao, imagine if the trees looking better is because of all the criticism.

Smoliv is also an extremely memey name but it works.
Yeah, it depends of course on personal taste. If I remember correct, the American localization for nintendo games sometimes puts meme jokes in the translations, which I am not a fan of. Good for me that my main language is german and I prefer the german pokemon names much more than the english ones.

Yeah, it depends of course on personal taste. If I remember correct, the American localization for nintendo games sometimes puts meme jokes in the translations, which I am not a fan of. Good for me that my main language is german and I prefer the german pokemon names much more than the english ones.
Lechonk is also pretty clever in spanish:

The most popular preparation can be found in Spain and Portugal under the name lechón (Spanish) or leitão (Portuguese).

Thoughts:

The fact that they may be going back exclusively to the old style of catching would be a huge step down from Arceus if true. Maybe you can just catch them in either way (I think that was the case with Arceus as well) but what made the open world so fun in that game was how seamless it was and how fluid/streamlined battling and catching were. We'll see.

4 player co-op... sounds really cool but they didn't really show it beyond 4 characters standing around next to each other? Can you battle on the fly in the world, can people join your ongoing pokemon battles, etc? Would need to see more.

Box legendaries are a bit overdesigned but good. The new Pokemon shown and new trainer designs shown were all fantastic. I think Sword/Shield and now this have really had some of the strongest designs the series has seen in a while.

"Not dictated by story" seems huge actually for the open world. Really would like to see what this game is like structurally.

The technical implementation is really, really poor. Yes I know not final yes I know the scope of pokemon games etc. But if what Serebii likes to say is true and the games are just doing great in regards to budget, staff, and time, then I really don't have any answers as to why they look like this. The Switch is not that underpowered. The texture resolution and especially the shadow resolution looks below even arceus at times, and the depth of field effect is really low res as well. They don't always look this bad, but these shadows...

FUK4cFPWIAAcjDN

It's bad to the point of not only being distracting but actually taking away from the otherwise great art and character design when you have to view it through this smeary mess. This is a problem with smaller Pokemon especially, they don't stand out from their surroundings and all of the appealing detail in their design is lost.

Anyway lot of negative takeaways but still looking forward to it. Just again, really wish that Game Freak could work out the time/budget/staff problems that they supposedly don't have.

I always prefer the futuristic option rather than prehistoric (eventhough the female professor looks nicer) + GRAPES > ORANGES, so it's pokemon Violet for me!

The models really grew on me compared to when I first saw them in the first trailer. (They also kind of remind me of the sportsmates look)

Nemona looks so cool! The movement of the characters also feels more jrpg-ey if you get what I mean.

Chonkyboi seems like the star of the trailer, and Pawmi reminds me of the Turning Red red panda style!

So excited for this!!

So. Since Pokémon is rather predictable when it comes to presents and trailers?

How much we betting for the present to be around when pre-orders open?

One is a motorcycle and the other a hovercraft.

And you’ll ride them
Yoooooo this is awesome. I was originally hoping for an evolution of the Rotom Bike to turn into a car and the poke centers would be gas stations but this is such a better idea

I’m hoping that they don’t go backwards with the catching mechanics right after PLA.

Overall it looks meh outside of the 4 player coop which I don’t think is a good idea for an open world game on the Switch as I don’t think it will run well regardless of how shit the visuals are of the game.

Impressed by the ambition, worried they often hid how the game runs with the camera angles. The new normal Pokemon are great, not feeling the legendaries.

Most exciting thing imo is that description that you can go anywhere and aren’t bound by the story. I hope it incorporates many Arceus features, but even if it is just standard Pokemon as it looks that structure has me super hyped for Pokemon collecting.

The Pokémon designs are once again fantastic. Yes, including the legendary Pokémon, especially Koraidon. I want Smoliv to evolve into a olive oil producing master for me and the team to enjoy with the finest bread. Meanwhile my partner is gushing about Pawmi and already wants to use one.

Nemona is the first female "rival" with no strings attached right? Not the secondary rival, not there only if you're the boy. And I like that. Helpful but likes to throw down. I support her.

Playing this with four friends in an open world is gonna be super hype for a lot of people, myself included. That being said, people expecting most of the Legends Arceus features are probably gonna be disappointed. But Legends Arceus is its own thing so that shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, for better or for worse. If anything, this feels like the natural end point from the Isle of Armour and Crown Tundra more than anything from Hisui.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom