• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many have expressed the desire for Sprigatito to stay as a quadruped, which is valid and possibly realistic because Grass-types have a better record in staying on all fours if they started as such. For me, I felt like I have made this request ever since a few generations back, but it is worth repeating again: please let the pseudo-legendary be a completely different type that completely excludes Dragon! Any type! Even the ones that are considered subpar like Grass/Bug, Rock/Ice or Grass/Ice are even welcomed, as long as there's no Dragon in the type combination!

Thank you for reading.

The typical Nintendo fan, lol. Loves his simple vibrant colours designed for babies. Goo goo ga ga.

Don't deny you'd blow your load if Game Freak made a world anywhere near as good as Monolith's.
Yo what the fuck? You've got to be kidding, this is an embarrassing way to act.

Edit: just saw your apology, which I accept, but my reaction stays. That shit doesn't belong here.

I'm not sure if I believe the two schools competing yet. largely it sounds too cool for GF to do.

nah, the trees are pretty samey in SV too. Legends was just a technological issue, not a design one. Legends was made before GF sorted out how to draw more objects into the distance
If you compare the wide shots of both games, Legends has 1 single tree exactly replicated in the whole area, with some berry trees in the middle, but SV has a lot of variety. I count about 9 different tree types in just that screenshot. It also helps that the ones that are the same aren’t put next to one another but are instead paired with different ones, so you don’t end up noticing it much at all

little doubt about it imo. the biggest evidence of that is the big central area showcasing a bunch of types/symbols in a whole circle

gs1iCHP.png

kind of feels like a set-up for 'these are the challenges trainers will have to face here' type of deal

I think it has more to do with the new mechanic in the game. The symbol surrounding the Pokemon battle court is the same symbol in the Japanese logos for the game.

Last edited:
If you compare the wide shots of both games, Legends has 1 single tree exactly replicated in the whole area, with some berry trees in the middle, but SV has a lot of variety. I count about 9 different tree types in just that screenshot. It also helps that the ones that are the same aren’t put next to one another but are instead paired with different ones, so you don’t end up noticing it much at all
IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

There could be more but it’s hard to tell in the denser parts.
It’s a stark difference imo

Am I the only one that isn’t too crazy about it going open world?

Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against open world. I loved BoTW and I love Xenoblade, but, I kinda like the more linear structure of classic style Pokémon?

Not saying it should be all corridors or straight routes, like I’d like for routes to be a bit more open so you can get to the next town in a more dynamic fashion… but I guess I don’t get why everything needs to be open world.

The game is not going to be open world like Breath of the Wild, where you get your starter Pokemon and can then head straight across the map and do anything you want.

It will still very much be guided in many areas. More open, yes, but the routes are still there.

This first image looks "open", but it's not - there's a path along the ridge that wraps along the windmills and down to the Pokemon Center at the bottom.

BfmuA71.png

thSLsBb.png

As long as Megas never return, I'm cool with whatever

:cry:

Don't be like this. I still have all my shiny competitive Mega-evolving cubs from gen 6 and gen 7 stuck in Pokémon Bank because otherwise I'll lose those Megas forever. My dream is to be able to enjoy them in HD. One day...

As a battle mechanic I have to say I loved Megas way more than Dmax/Gmax (or Z-moves for that matter) but I know the fandom is divided about this.

Same here. Btw to anyone thinking about passing on Arceus because SV comes out later this year dont skip it, its really good.
This. PLA and SV are gonna be vastly different games to each other under the surface since PLA is single player only and the whole game is designed around that fact. SV will obviously take ideas from PLA but not wholesale because a lot of its aspects probably would not work well in a multiplayer/traditional Pokemon game.

Yo what the fuck? You've got to be kidding, this is an embarrassing way to act.

Edit: just saw your apology, which I accept, but my reaction stays. That shit doesn't belong here.
with full acceptance of the apology and a wink of fun I have decided it's time to take on my true (custom) title as a nintendo baby, goo goo ga ga

Trees are a weird rallying cry for Pokemon graphics detractors. It's something no sane player notices when actually playing Legends Arceus
Lol I’m the last person that can be considered a graphics detractor, I was just showing how SV improved on it

The game is not going to be open world like Breath of the Wild, where you get your starter Pokemon and can then head straight across the map and do anything you want.

It will still very much be guided in many areas. More open, yes, but the routes are still there.

This first image looks "open", but it's not - there's a path along the ridge that wraps along the windmills and down to the Pokemon Center at the bottom.

There are paths all over breath of the wild but without barriers they're merely a suggestion, I don't really get what you're going for here. Of course, it's very likely that the game will be much more guided in regards to gym order and such in a way that botw isn't, but that has nothing to do with the world layout / screenshot shown.

Quoted by: Sol
There are paths all over breath of the wild but without barriers they're merely a suggestion, I don't really get what you're going for here. Of course, it's very likely that the game will be much more guided in regards to gym order and such in a way that botw isn't, but that has nothing to do with the world layout / screenshot shown.

But the paths here very much serve as a guided route. Look at the images I posted above. In the first one with the windmills, if you're standing at the top of the ridge and want to go down, there's only one way to go - follow the path that goes through the windmills and wraps around down towards the Pokemon Center. In fact there were also images released of the player battling NPC trainers along this route as well. It's very much directed path - there's only one way down. The placement of the Pokemon Center at the bottom isn't an accident or random - just like in previous games, Pokemon Centers are strategically placed along routes so the player can recover after a long route filled with NPC trainers. That appears to be the case here.

The second image is also another route with rock walls on each side of it. There's only one way up.

The camera will be freely rotating and in the player's control at all times, and there will certainly be open spaces that are large and explorable, but the world design very much seems to be guided and controlled in terms of the player's ability to move throughout it.

I do hope the battle system is back to normal. No strong/agile style moves, no Pokemon hitting you twice in a row, none of that aggravating filth.
That was one of my favorite things about Legends. "Everybody gets an equal amount of turns, regardless of whether you're the slowest jerk around using the slowest moves fighting the fastest creature using the fastest moves" is one of the things making the games feel stuck in 1996.
Every time I see the name Sprigatito I just start singing Chiquitita by Abba in my head (replacing it with Sprigatito ofc).
Haha, same. It's the best Pokémon for this purpose since Chikorita.

Trees are a weird rallying cry for Pokemon graphics detractors. It's something no sane player notices when actually playing Legends Arceus
It's something that kinda catches your eye in trailer wide shots though which is something recent Pokemon trailers tend to use

I'm never going to actually care about tree graphics but it is funny how they just attract criticism

Leaked footage of the new Pokemon-amie / Pokemon Camp just popped up in my recommended videos lol

Now the only real problem with the visuals in these trailers is IQ and framerate in my opinion.

If they can get docked resolution to 900p and some AA solution in there, it would look great and not far off from something like XCDE for example (especially if its docked res is higher than 720p).

there are two shields in the trailer with oranges and grapes. probably it will take on the importance of our citrics and wine, maybe they are two new teams fighting each other to be the most important in the region?

2jucRJp.jpg

its true that those two are really important fruits in the region that make most of the exports... im thinking in olives for DLC lol

Scarlet / Violet is a cool naming convention but why didn't they just go with "Orange/Purple"

I still don't understand how they're going to incorporate oranges and grapes on the game when they don't exist in the Pokémon world lol

I still don't understand how they're going to incorporate oranges and grapes on the game when they don't exist in the Pokémon world lol
they do now. they got all sorts of weird berries already, so what's a citrus and a grape?

Quoted by: Leo
I actually think the new trainers look pretty good! I was surprised by a lot of the negative reactions to them. I’m also a big fan of the new starters.

I‘m in the camp that thinks Arceus‘s graphics look (really) bad, and this game is a nice step forward. Still a ways to go visually, but I’m definitely interested in picking this up when it comes out (if the holiday season isn’t too crowded with…other…open world adventure games…).

they do now. they got all sorts of weird berries already, so what's a citrus and a grape?

The thing is oran berry and grepa berry already exist, and they're blue and yellow respectively. Maybe they will come up with other fictional berries that are actually orange and purple.

But the paths here very much serve as a guided route. Look at the images I posted above. In the first one with the windmills, if you're standing at the top of the ridge and want to go down, there's only one way to go - follow the path that goes through the windmills and wraps around down towards the Pokemon Center. In fact there were also images released of the player battling NPC trainers along this route as well. It's very much directed path - there's only one way down. The placement of the Pokemon Center at the bottom isn't an accident or random - just like in previous games, Pokemon Centers are strategically placed along routes so the player can recover after a long route filled with NPC trainers. That appears to be the case here.

The second image is also another route with rock walls on each side of it. There's only one way up.

The camera will be freely rotating and in the player's control at all times, and there will certainly be open spaces that are large and explorable, but the world design very much seems to be guided and controlled in terms of the player's ability to move throughout it.

There is absolutely nothing in the trailer that suggests you cannot approach the windmills from multiple angles, like so:

BEEA9098-9180-46F9-A684-BDE733F7495C.jpeg

Like the other user said, every single open world game (including Elden Ring!) has guided routes, and "critical paths".

But as a player you are given a choice. Do you take the well-trodden path that includes the safety of a Pokemon center? Or do you trek around the cliffside terrain where there may be stronger trainers, also some rarer items?

I think you are seeing what looks to be a critical path and making the assumption that you have no other options than that, which is a weird assumption to make unless you just assume the Pokemon Company is outright lying.

There is absolutely nothing in the trailer that suggests you cannot approach the windmills from multiple angles, like so:

View attachment 236

Like the other user said, every single open world game (including Elden Ring!) has guided routes, and "critical paths".

But as a player you are given a choice. Do you take the well-trodden path that includes the safety of a Pokemon center? Or do you trek around the cliffside terrain where there may be stronger trainers, also some rarer items?

I think you are seeing what looks to be a critical path and making the assumption that you have no other options than that, which is a weird assumption to make unless you just assume the Pokemon Company is outright lying.
Well said, I didn't know how to communicate my point without a diagram but was too lazy to make it. Thanks haha

I just want the starters not to turn into humanoid final forms. There's been far too much of that lately.

They used to be monsters.

Oooh a grass type cat pokemon. This time I won't have to make the difficult choice between my favorite starter type and a cat like I had to with Rowlet and Litten. Good good. This is the fastest I have ever chosen a starter. Also joining the chorus about wishing that he stays a quadruped through all evolutions, that would be sweet.

The cat is so evolving into some furry bait. Quaxly is the way to go, it's impossible to make a duck sexy

Because that sounds very mundane

I just meant it as a continuation to color naming conventions from the Green / Red / Blue / Yellow generation, but yeah I guess it sounds lame

edit: I'm willing to bet these were the internal names before the final name was decided lmao

Gyms shouldn't be much of an issue, they simply need multiple teams per gym leader and call the appropriate one depending on the number of gym badges you have. There's a rom hack of Crystal that does this and it works perfectly fine. The "in-between stuff" is gonna be more of a challenge but I don't expect S&V to be completely open anyway. Maybe they have some fixed gyms or a lower and upper circuit and you get to choose between 3-4 gyms.
That seems like a plausible scenario + would be a idea presented/started in SwSh finally brought to fruition, just like moving towards a open world. Since the games mentioned that the Galar League had a major and minor division of gyms, but the main game never went anywhere with it. While the DLC only showed two leaders of said minor gyms.

Though bringing the idea back for SV could help balance things and play into the whole school concept. Maybe a minor division or gyms for new students (set of 4 gyms) and more experienced ones (set of 4 gyms), which ends with E4 like battles for the student's "graduation". Which then opens up the major division for the post game in areas that remain unexplored + in PokePortugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom