• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

I guess Amazon underestimate TTYD demand.

"Oh, it's just a remaster of a cult-classic GameCube game, a system that everyone igno-"
stock sells out
"-I guess I was wrong!"
The much more likely scenario is that Nintendo just isn't making a gargantuan number of first-run physical copies and Amazon US already pre-sold their allotment.

If there's no Direct before release we'll probably get a trailer in April and an overview video in May closer to launch. That's usually the way.

I think the producers said Resident Evil Remake(!) was "80% new". They used the original as a foundation, and remade everything else. Just like... Metroid Prime Remastered.

Resident evil remake and the Prime remaster aren’t even in the same ball park of remaster vs remake.

If SMRPG didn't get anything that extensive I wouldn't anticipate much for TTYD either.
My sentiments exactly. Granted, SMRPG was remade by a 3rd Party, while TTYD is seemingly being remade in house. I can give them the benefit of the doubt, but I’m not expecting anything besides small additions.

The most I could expect is another secret boss. Maybe a second Pit of 100 Trials?

My sentiments exactly. Granted, SMRPG was remade by a 3rd Party, while TTYD is seemingly being remade in house. I can give them the benefit of the doubt, but I’m not expecting anything besides small additions.

The most I could expect is another secret boss. Maybe a second Pit of 100 Trials?
A better comparison might be Link's Awakening. The remake had a full graphic overhaul but the only really "new" content was the Zelda dungeon maker that pretty much everyone agreed was unnecessary.

I feel SMRPG Remake was being balanced around the fact that kids may not want to do every fight, and actually go out of their way to avoid them. Even if the old game wasn't that hard if you actually fought all the enemies, it could still be kinda challenging (especially to a kid) if you ran away or just avoided fights. While also making the battles have a bit more reward for good play.

It does break the balance for the main story if you're an older gamer who likes to fight a lot, but it is a bit of a flaw of how simple the original SMRPG is in that there isn't much you can do to make the game harder other than avoiding fights or not equipping better equipment. (And I'd argue that doesn't make the fights harder, just longer and you end up missing content for the sake of it.)

TTYD on the other hand has the badge system to give players more flexibility so unless Nintendo outright demolishes your ability to equip risk reward badges I can't see how any changes they make to difficulty be worse than SMRPG.

Last edited:
I feel SMRPG Remastered was being balanced around the fact that kids may not want to do every fight, and actually go out of their way to avoid them. Even if the old game wasn't that hard if you actually fought all the enemies, it could still be kinda challenging (especially to a kid) if you ran away or just avoided fights. While also making the battles have a bit more reward for good play.

It does break the balance for the main story if you're an older gamer who likes to fight a lot, but it is a bit of a flaw of how simple the original SMRPG is in that there isn't much you can do to make the game harder other than avoiding fights or not equipping better equipment. (And I'd argue that doesn't make the fights harder, just longer and you end up missing content for the sake of it.)

TTYD on the other hand has the badge system to give players more flexibility so unless Nintendo outright demolishes your ability to equip risk reward badges I can't see how any changes they make to difficulty be worse than SMRPG.
SMRPG is a remake.

Pre-order’s finally up on the UK My Nintendo Store, there’s also a bundle with a Buildable Battle Stage. Was hoping for some kind of deluxe edition with a soundtrack CD or something… but this is a really nice bundle, ngl?
paper-mario-large-1.jpg

This looks incredible and makes me all the sadder that we don't really seem to get a whole lot of cool pre-order bonuses in NA from Nintendo anymore.

I really like the remakes rendition of it sounding orchestrated rather than synthetic. Both have their merits but I like this one a lot.

It's a nice revision to the original, though maybe it would've been a better idea to make it an animated "book diorama" or I don't remember what they were called?

Them redoing the intro with more effort makes me think that, perhaaaaaps, the Rogueport lore could be better delivered this time around instead of locking it behind one NPC.

Them redoing the intro with more effort makes me think that, perhaaaaaps, the Rogueport lore could be better delivered this time around instead of locking it behind one NPC.
Remind me, it's been like 8 years since I last replayed the game:

Is this the rooftop guy in Rogueport or someone in the Rogueport Sewers?

it's still so surreal to me that this game exists and is coming out. a remastered version of ttyd was on my highest highs of wishes for so many years, and to see it being remade so masterfully is enough to move me to tears. bless nintendo

That's still a rumor? I thought it was just hopium.
No? That was reported my multiple reliable sources. The only one that didn't corroborate on this rumor was Pyoro and that's only because he doesn't speak on anything that's more than a week away of being announced at max.

Wow, I love that they animated it. Rearranged music was great too. Been digging the updated tracks so far, dying to hear more.
Yep. I've said since the initial trailer that the game looks visually perfect, and the music seems to match.

Man they are really dripfeeding new footage and pictures for a remake that was revealed six months ago

Looks nice though
It could be worse

You could be an underwhelming 3DS remaster that will be releasing over a year after its initial announcement for some strange reason

☠️

Last edited:
I’m still in awe at how fucking good this remake’s visuals are, I don’t know how they do it but god it’s gotta be black magic at this point.

I’m still in awe at how fucking good this remake’s visuals are, I don’t know how they do it but god it’s gotta be black magic at this point.
Yeah, they are making sure it looks like a game that would have released on Switch. IMO. I think it really is that much of an improvement.

The remake looks so much better in every way.

I wish it wasn’t 30fps. I wonder if they settled on a reduced framerate because they wanted it to fit in with Color Splash and Origami King (which both are 30fp)

The remake looks so much better in every way.

I wish it wasn’t 30fps. I wonder if they settled on a reduced framerate because they wanted it to fit in with Color Splash and Origami King (which both are 30fp)

I think it's because they're using modern graphical effects, and they probably couldn't get it to run at 60 at all times. I imagine the game will tun at 1080p so that's nice.

I think it's because they're using modern graphical effects, and they probably couldn't get it to run at 60 at all times. I imagine the game will tun at 1080p so that's nice.
No doubt the technical aspects have something to do with it; i’m just wondering if a will to fit it into the Origami King style made the decision to stick to 30fp easier.

It doesn’t work as well here imo, those games have choppier animations which works better for 30fp

Back
Top Bottom