• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

just-found-out-vivian-from-paper-mario-ttyd-is-canonically-v0-1xgyq1knblqa1.png

We're so back

Looks good! A bit worried about the new content they are teasing, but I'll be happy to replay it :D
Which new content ? The bit at the end with AI in love with Peach was in the OG game, same dialogue and everything. It's Peach's side story at the end of each chapter.

Pretty meh final announcement considering that Superior Mario RPG is coming and they didn't even remake the much better PM64.

I guess I will get it if is sold at a good price.

This and Funky Kong in Mario Kart singlehandedly saved this direct for me lol.

Besides already being one of my favorite games, absolutely adore how this is looking/sounding, it's like the best of both worlds Paper Mario-wise.

They said it was too soon to be announced. They said it would never be done. What have they to say now?
We say you made dealings with dark, shadowy forces. How many blood sacrifices did you Paper Mario fans do to get your precious TTYD remake?

...Anyway, I might pick this up.

I thought for a second that it would be a remake of both classic Paper Mario's. A little disappointed it's just TTYD since I think it still looks great and the original Paper Mario would be better served with a full on remake.

This and the vanillaware game were the best announcements the rest I was pretty meh on/we already knew about. Hope we see FE4 remake in the 2024 direct

Can't wait to play it on my Switch 2 next year.

At least it put an end to one dumb topic of discourse. Here's to hoping it ends another...

OK now we're eating folks. Looks amazing and I am totally down for a new playthrough of the best Mario game from the GameCube.

Nintendo, don't be cowardly when it comes to Vivian now.

Literally jumped out of my seat when seeing the book and hearing the music!

The music fucking baited me, I thought it was going to be both 1 and 2 for a second lmao, but this is still sick.

One of the best RPGs ever made, one of my personal favourites, LET'S FREAKING GO.

Not sure it deserved to be a closer, but it did get the biggest reaction out of me lol.

I can't believe all the original chars got replaced with generic toads and goombas ;p

This looks nice. Hopefully it can quell some of the fanbase paranoia

Someone must have murdered the Mario Shadow Council this year because damn those guidelines are out

Worst Paper Mario*, should have been N64 or SPM.

*I haven't played Sticker Star or Color Splash

Yeah, as I said, it was clear last year that this is obviously a thing that exists. Hopefully they can now fix all of its issues.
Honestly expect it to be a 1:1 recreation of the OG, pacing issues and corridor level designs included.

The whole trailer screamed to me : "see, see ? It's the same game, it's what you wanted right ? We didn't change anything in your cult classic"

hopfully now people can be a bit more logical with the handling of remakes and remasters.

The nonsense some came up with about replacing all the unique NPCs was laughable.

Arlo is crying right now. I have so much goosebumps. I’m almost going to cry seeing this. I didn’t expect it because of Mario rpg

A bit worried about the new content they are teasing,
What new content?

ngl, almost teared up when I saw the book.
I was expecting a new game, then 64 remake, but when I saw Rogueport, I ALMOST TEARED UUUPP ;~;

Incredible how that trailer reminded me what Paper Mario was like when it was good, lol.
I kept telling myself: THIS IS THE BEST PAPER MARIO, DAMNIT! AND IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUUUL!!!

YES YES YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES !!!!!!
i c wut u did there

I am pretty surprised they announced this ahead of SMRPG but can't complain. It's finally here!
I presume since it’s releasing in 2024, much later than the othet announxed games, they announced it in this Direct. I feel like it’ll be a 2H 2024 release. The OG game was released on October 11, will the HD version released in October 2024?

This has to be a response to the incessant begging of vocal fans. If it doesn't sell at least 2x Origami King now, we have data to prove that they may as well be disregarded.
Up until December 2022, Origami King had sold 3,470,000 copies. By the time PM TTYD HD releases, it’s possible it could reach that number.

Freaked out once I saw the book

I am pretty surprised they announced this ahead of SMRPG but can't complain. It's finally here!
Yeah it is true that it is a bit weird to announce it now and not at the February direct. Probably is a early 2024 game, probably April, or could maybe even share the March month with Peach or something.

Really saddened that it wasn’t Super Paper Mario. TTYD was a massive letdown and step down from P64 and it was followed by the (best) of Super Paper Mario which could really use a rerelease.

Funnily enough I completely forgot I was anticipating FE4 until I read this post. That's an indication that the Direct was actually pretty good for me, all things considered.
Fair enough - there were 2 announcements I liked, the rest I was indifferent on

WERE SO BACK!!!!!
GOD I LOVE THE LOOK OF IT AND EVERYTHING IM JUST SAD I HAVE TO WAIT TILL 2024!!!
I legit teared up while watching that trailer, I need to see chuggaconroy’s reaction to this

hopfully now people can be a bit more logic with the handling of remakes and remasters.

The nonsense some came up with about replacing all the unique NPCs was laughable.
I mean in the grand scheme of things was dumb to assume a remake would entirely sanitize things but the Mario & Luigi remake is still a precedent for things being sanded down a bit, even if not to that insane a degree. Comparatively this trailer went out of its way to show all the weird shit in the original game plus even smaller stuff like the original Boo designs which I absolutely appreciate.

It'll be really bizarre now if the next new Paper Mario still has an army of mostly nameless identical toads and NPC's though; give me TOK's open-world design and style but with TTYD's plot and world-building!

This has to be a response to the incessant begging of vocal fans. If it doesn't sell at least 2x Origami King now, we have data to prove that they may as well be disregarded.
Remakes usually sell less than new games and this is coming late in the Switch’s life so I doubt Nintendo’s own expectations are this high.

This seems kind of unnecessary because the original game still looks great and this is just slightly different more than it is better. From what they showed I'm not sure why it wasn't just a port, hopefully they've done like... anything to justify the effort of remaking it. Will they even be brave enough to address Vivian in the English version now?

If nothing else the remastered soundtrack could be pretty sick I guess.

Also interested in the discourse of "maybe the Mario Shadow Council was right" when people get to see how weirdly horny this game was again.

I kinda get the people being disappointed because they prefer either PM64 or Super (I myself am a Super Paper Mario fan), but come on, obviously it was going to be this one first lol, this is the one that most of the fanbase have been asking for a remake for about 8 years or so now. It wasn't even a question.

Back
Top Bottom