• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Ironically, the game being more woke would mean that the game comes out less censored than a couple of lines being (very understandably) toned down, thanks to Vivian.
Personally though I wish they kept the Toad outline in that house in Rogueport and just have Goombella make a joke about how the white outlines are out of style, but may come back around, if you check the area, explaining their absence from this game. Like a fakeout joke of "oh no one actually died here, this is basically just someone's clothes".

I hope we don't get genuine localization discourse about this game though, Paper Mario discussion is tiring as is lol.
It'll get less tiring as we go into the future, as classic Paper Mario retakes the throne and releases 2-3 more major hits.

Personally though I wish they kept the Toad outline in that house in Rogueport and just have Goombella make a joke about how the white outlines are out of style, but may come back around, if you check the area, explaining their absence from this game. Like a fakeout joke of "oh no one actually died here, this is basically just someone's clothes".
That wouldn't really work without reworking how Goombella's area tattles work. The white outline isn't interactable, so she doesn't comment on it specifically; you just get the generic central Rogueport tattle.

Just have to say regarding the new music, I adore the new Rogueport Sewer theme - easily my favorite of the new songs, and the one new one I can say I definitely prefer over the original. Still have to hear much much more, but there are so many tracks I’m dying to hear like Macho Grubba’s fight, Twilight Trail / Creepy Steeple, Riverside Station, X-Naut Fortress, Crump’s Theme, and countless others.

That wouldn't really work without reworking how Goombella's area tattles work. The white outline isn't interactable, so she doesn't comment on it specifically; you just get the generic central Rogueport tattle.
I mean, doesn't it change in some buildings? It's been a bit since I've played TTYD admittedly, (partially cause I was thinking of replaying it, and then the remake got announced) but I swear it changed in some smaller foldout buildings that weren't an entirely new loading zone.

I mean, doesn't it change in some buildings? It's been a bit since I've played TTYD admittedly, (partially cause I was thinking of replaying it, and then the remake got announced) but I swear it changed in some smaller foldout buildings that weren't an entirely new loading zone.
As far as I can recall, no. But I could be wrong.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the game being sanitised, the dialogue is the least of Paper Mario's problems. Really curious how the next one is going to turn out.

Yessss! The breakdown section that begins just as the clip ends sounds fantastic
Yeah, I’m really liking the instrumentation here. It’s livelier, but I still feel like it works. Like, Rogueport’s a stink hole, but it’s still bustling and kinda proud of it in a way?

seeing them side by side, it does suck to see it go down to 30fps, but god damn does the remake look phenomenal.

Any way to confirm this person actually works at Nintendo? Because big if true

My first major “win” at my new job: in the original version of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, this character, Vivian, is canonically trans in the Japanese release and is trying to escape her transphobic siblings who keep mocking her. In the US release, this was changed to her just being generally bullied. We remade the game for Switch, and a few months ago we were having a meeting about localization and I INSISTED that we keep her identity accurate this time. Not everyone was on board. MOST people weren’t on board because of the current political climate in this country over trans identities and bodies. She will be presented correctly in the US release of the game next month and I could not be more proud of queer fortitude and getting to fight for representation in the face of bullshit politics, even if it is just one fictional character in a cartoon video game. I’m glad they made the right choice.

I’m just hoping people there won’t be huge discourse if this is true.

Like heck look at Stellar blade and how that went down.

But this is true, then that’s cool because their staying loyal to the Japanese source material.

I hope it's true and I hope that person still keeps their job if it is. Because you don't fuck with Nintendo NDAs.
We’ll have to wait and see if Nintendo decided to delete the post or not, also he sadly got 50 strong ninjas ready to swat his house 😔

Oh fuck, please be true, this would be a colossal W for Nintendo and the continued normalization of trans identities in mainstream media

the chuds were just screeching about wanting more 'accurate' translations, so it will be funny to see how this goes down.

Great if true, but it's making me doubt because of how this person responds in public to others, it doesn't seem in line with the usual at Nintendo.

If it is true, I kinda wonder then if the Japanese script is actually getting changed to remove some of the more transphobic material from Vivian's 2000s depiction. Because if arguments happened in the localization department about this, was the whole company on the same page about how to depict her? I can imagine the NoA script would regardless try to mitigate her abuse from Beldam or the transphobic tattle.

On another note:
I'm kinda glad Nintendo isn't turning her into some shallow marketing gimmick if it is true. Just correcting mistakes from the past.

Great if true, but it's making me doubt because of how this person responds in public to others, it doesn't seem in line with the usual at Nintendo.
Hey… there’s always going to be some employees who are more louder than others.

Kinda like myazaki from studio chibli, great artist, but extremely outspoken of how much he hate movies, world and his son.

Kinda like myazaki from studio chibli, great artist, but extremely outspoken of how much he hate movies, world and his son.
Yeah, but someone from the NOA localization department (and I can't find any credits for this person on Mobygames, so I'm not sure about that part either) is not equivalent to Miyazaki here. Miyamoto gets to say what he wants and announce Pikmin 4 a decade in advance; random translators and writers do not.

It's less about the employees' personalities and more about how draconian NoA is. They, historically, respond quite poorly to discussing work publicly. If it's real (and I hope it is), I hope they delete some of their posts/aren't punished.
Yeah, but someone from the NOA localization department (and I can't find any credits for this person on Mobygames, so I'm not sure about that part either) is not equivalent to Miyazaki here. Miyamoto gets to say what he wants and announce Pikmin 4 a decade in advance; random translators and writers do not.
They claim to have been hired back in November.

Unfortunately, they are full of shit. They posted this in December (a month after they supposedly started at NoA? Pretty quick work...)

There hasn't been any update to TotK, i'm very doubtful any employee would still have their employment if they had leaked something like this, and they just edited out someone else's name to put themselves in the screen (the lazy way, couldn't even move all of the names down?):

aldJiGO.png

The TTYD story itself doesn't add up regardless; they claim their position at NoA is "Environmental Engineer" (they probably meant Environmental Artist, but that's not someone who would be on a localisation team anyway), and given the game was seemingly complete ahead of the announcement in September the timeline they present could not be true either.

Still hopeful the remake will do the right thing and make Vivian openly trans (and presented positively) in all regions, but this person wouldn't know.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, they are full of shit. They posted this in December (a month after they supposedly started at NoA? Pretty quick work...)

There hasn't been any update to TotK, i'm very doubtful any employee would still have their employment if they had leaked something like this, and they just edited out someone else's name to put themselves in the screen (the lazy way, couldn't even move all of the names down?):

aldJiGO.png

The TTYD story itself doesn't add up regardless; they claim their position at NoA is "Environmental Engineer" (they probably meant Environmental Artist, but that's not someone who would be on a localisation team anyway), and given the game was seemingly complete ahead of the announcement in September the timeline they present could not be true either.

Still hopeful the remake will do the right thing and make Vivian openly trans (and presented positively) in all regions, but this person wouldn't know.

lmao they've deleted that post now edit: or no, they've set their page to private

Sounds like crap. 'MOST people weren't on board', but this guy has main character energy and pulled off the impossible anyway.

Alright then. Probably just trying to stir up controversy or something.

There are a lot of arguments going on already about the Beldam line....

Many have this opinion about it: "Beldam is just abandoning her, acting like they aren't family"

It's possible that suspicious Nintendo employee poster kind of wanted to shut them down with a fake post from a position of authority...if that makes sense...

I hate that no one.. .took footage of the scene... so we can see what Nintendo did..

Why did we only get the one line..?

Oh well, only a few weeks left. fingers crossed

EDIT: Didn't all the previewers play through Chapter 2? If they did then they would have seen the "What are you saying Vivian?! You are a man!!" line.

.... so maybe that's not there. There's no way that line would have been ignored by previewers.

Last edited:
Didn't all the previewers play through Chapter 2?
No. They're allowed to talk about up through Chapter 3 according to Tom from Digital Foundry, but that doesn't mean they've played that far; he's only gotten through Chapter 1 himself.

The game's not out for another month, I imagine most reviewers aren't rushing to get through it.

No. They're allowed to talk about up through Chapter 3 according to Tom from Digital Foundry, but that doesn't mean they've played that far; he's only gotten through Chapter 1 himself.

The game's not out for another month, I imagine most reviewers aren't rushing to get through it.
Wait, then shouldn’t we have seen the entire Chapter 2 Shadow Sirens encounter by this point and thus know how Viv is being handled?

Wait, then shouldn’t we have seen the entire Chapter 2 Shadow Sirens encounter by this point and thus know how Viv is being handled?
Yeah... that's what I'm saying. There are screenshots of Beldam's line... So whoever took that screenshot would have seen the whole scene.

You'd think someone might've touched on it by now, but no one has. And I'm not terribly surprised by that either. There's a few things at play here:

-Review outlets generally don't do a blowout of absolutely everything they can when preview embargos lift, instead opting to show bits and pieces that support their overall initial impressions. It's not like we're suspiciously missing just this encounter, we haven't seen more story script from the first three chapters than we have seen.

-Previews often stay very broad strokes in terms of talking points, I believe to avoid giving a false impression before the reviewer's finished the game. Ultimately, the Chapter 2 dialogue is only part of the story with Vivian and may not give a complete idea on how she's being handled (especially if the reviewer didn't opt to Tattle - which they may not have, especially considering the next point), so they may just be staying away from touching it until they can talk about the full picture.

-The localization changes to Vivian's identity aren't quite the common knowledge to mainstream gamers that they are to TTYD fans on message boards. I'm not sure how many people with early access to the game are especially capable of spotting differences to the original release from 20 years ago; most of them probably haven't played it for over 15 years.

All that to say, previews are generally not comprehensive, and they often appear to be written in a way that doesn't take that much of the reviewer's time. For one reason or another, no one's said anything. Maybe that's because there's no change and no one's thought anything of it. Maybe it's because it is changed, and everyone either didn't notice/did notice but wasn't intimately familiar and wanted to do more research/didn't even get there yet. It is what it is.

I feel like it'd be a bigger shitshow if they didn't go with the Japanese version of Vivian's backstory than the censored western version at this point. Why even go back to the original localisation for it if most online fans seem to go with her being trans anyway?

If they worked at Nintendo when they made that statement they won't be working at Nintendo now and would be blacklisted from the industry at large.

This would be a pretty heavy NDA breach and only the absolute dumbest of employees would do something like that. "Don't talk about stuff we haven't released yet" is rule zero when it comes to talking about work-related things and the suggested smearing of coworkers in public is another really good way to get yourself pulled into HR meetings - you're working on a team and that means taking responsibility as a team. I've seen Apple employees get fired for merely identifying themselves as Apple employees online, this is one of those things corporations take extremely seriously.

In other words; it's almost certainly fake.

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but there are some screenshots of the Spanish localisation of the interaction between Beldam and Vivian:
Censura-Bibiana-Paper-Mario-Puerta-Milenaria-Nintendo-Switch-02.webp
Censura-Bibiana-Paper-Mario-Puerta-Milenaria-Nintendo-Switch-01.webp

This would roughly translate to:
Beldam: "Sisters" doesn't evoke a sense of mystery, and it instils less fear as well! How many times do I have to tell you?!
Vivian: I'm sorry, Beldam. It's just... it makes me so happy when you refer to me as "sister".

Shortly after which I suppose we would then get this line from the English localisation:
vivian.png

Though at this point there's no way of knowing for sure how the entire scene will be handled in the English localisation, of course.

(Source for the Spanish screenshots: Nintendúo)

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but there are some screenshots of the Spanish localisation of the interaction between Beldam and Vivian:

Shortly after which I suppose we would then get this line from the English localisation:
vivian.png

Though at this point there's no way of knowing for sure how the entire scene will be handled in the English localisation, of course.

Oh wow. Is that drastically different from how the original Spanish version handled it? Good sign if so.

vivian.png

The European localisation was already closer to the JP one even in the original. I see no reason for that to change.

vivian.png

I'm a native Spanish speaker, and this translation is 100% accurate.

vivian.png

It's less in your face... and makes Beldam seem a lot less outwardly abusive....

Ehh...... it feels like they are half-committing to it. Half trying to cover it up so only people that know what they are looking for will get it.

Yeah idk... I think Nintendo made it sound ambiguous, like it could just be Beldam saying "we aren't family" and Vivian might just be a cisgender woman in the english version....

It's less in your face... and makes Beldam seem a lot less outwardly abusive....

Ehh...... it feels like they are half-committing to it. Half trying to cover it up so only people that know what they are looking for will get it.
It's the opposite actually. It's slightly more in your face.

It's the opposite actually. It's slightly more in your face.
more in your face than screaming "VIVIAN What are you saying?! You are a man!!" Vivian "I'm sorry sis..." ?

It's pretty clear to me that Nintendo changed the scene to have nothing to do with gender. They removed Vivian being trans... What a shame.

more in your face than screaming "VIVIAN What are you saying?! You are a man!!" Vivian "I'm sorry sis..." ?

It's pretty clear to me that Nintendo changed the scene to have nothing to do with gender. They removed Vivian being trans... What a shame.
But it does relate to her gender tho?

But it does relate to her gender tho?
But there's no reference to her being a man at birth anymore... they got rid of that... so it just sounds like a cisgender woman being disowned.

Shameful, Nintendo. It wasn't going to hurt anyone to keep her trans... geeze.

I'm sure they took out all references at this point.

But there's no reference to her being a man at birth anymore... they got rid of that... so it just sounds like a cisgender woman being disowned.

Shameful, Nintendo. It wasn't going to hurt anyone to keep her trans... geeze.

I'm sure they took out all references at this point.
I think you're jumping to conclusions here. I don't think this is implying that at all that she's a cis woman.

Back
Top Bottom